shape
carat
color
clarity

I couldn''t believe this when I read it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
hisdiamondgirl, everyone has an opinion. There are boards like the knot where you can see the manner in which those opinions are delivered, and then boards like PS they have been traditionally (because of moderation and what not) been delivered in not quite the same manner.

FWIW, I personally don''t think there is anything wrong with expressing that the dress isn''t what someone else would wear. Or might seem shocking and different. Calling it a stripper themed wedding is pretty much saying it''s classless when weddings "should" be events full of class. Where does one draw the line on appropriate when it comes to different cultures? Are strapless dresses appropriate? What about backless? What about ones that aren''t full sleeved and covering everything? Why does a bride need to wear such high heels if she''s not going galvanting and whoring around town?

As for the quality of women on this board...well, I''m not calling anyone out by name, am I? So if the high heeled whorish shoe fits....
41.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 5:56:33 PM
Author: hisdiamondgirl

Date: 11/12/2009 5:42:34 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/12/2009 5:31:39 PM

I agree with Bia. Women here have been told that dresses they've tried on are 'too revealing' or 'inappropriate' wedding attire.

This dress, if we can even call it that, is the epitome of inappropriate if you ask me. Nothing to do with the bride being ugly or stupid, or uneducated. I don't think anyone said that. It is an ugly and inappropriate 'wedding' dress...unless you have a stripper wedding theme!
Really? You took looked at a photo of a PS bride here ON HER WEDDING day and told her her dress was too revealing and inappropriate?

As for the highlighted part, please go look at the second post on this thread. Obviously no one should spend that kind of money on a 16 year old's wedding when she should be school getting an education. Both the bride and whoever paid for that dress should be shot, because no one should pay THAT much for THAT dress, right?

It may be the epitome of inappropriate for YOU, but in their culture it is perfectly appropriate. In THEIR culture. Not yours. I haven't even looked at the link and I know which wedding this is...it's all been said before. Maybe in some cultures, it's not appropriate to wear white, think of that? And aren't brides supposed to wear white here to symbolize virginity? But the vast lot of us were having a merry old time before the big day, so how is that appropriate?

Nope. I have never told anybody their dress was too revealing or inappropriate. But YES, I have seen it. Someone tried a dress on, was told it was too revealing/inappropriate and then someone who actually wore the dress came back and posted pics of herself in it, and then it changed to 'oh but you looked great, you rocked it.'

And if that's their culture, FINE, I respect that, BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE THE DRESS.
Of course not! I don't like it either!!
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:04:12 PM
As for the quality of women on this board...well, I'm not calling anyone out by name, am I? So if the high heeled whorish shoe fits....
41.gif
2.gif

ETA: I am perfectly happy in my hooker shoes. FYI. But TGal knows that already.

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
hisdiamondgirl, everyone has an opinion. There are boards like the knot where you can see the manner in which those opinions are delivered, and then boards like PS they have been traditionally (because of moderation and what not) been delivered in not quite the same manner.

FWIW, I personally don't think there is anything wrong with expressing that the dress isn't what someone else would wear. Or might seem shocking and different. Calling it a stripper themed wedding is pretty much saying it's classless when weddings 'should' be events full of class. Where does one draw the line on appropriate when it comes to different cultures? Are strapless dresses appropriate? What about backless? What about ones that aren't full sleeved and covering everything? Why does a bride need to wear such high heels if she's not going galvanting and whoring around town?

As for the quality of women on this board...well, I'm not calling anyone out by name, am I? So if the high heeled whorish shoe fits....
41.gif

I don't know what strip joints you're familiar with, T-Gal. Classless?!?!
3.gif
3.gif

And I understand that there are varying ways of delivering an opinion, but guess what, it goes both ways. I don't think that the ladies who didn't like the dress were the only ones to deliver their opinions in a less than thoughtful fashion.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:10:21 PM

FWIW, I personally don''t think there is anything wrong with expressing that the dress isn''t what someone else would wear. Or might seem shocking and different. Calling it a stripper themed wedding is pretty much saying it''s classless when weddings ''should'' be events full of class. Where does one draw the line on appropriate when it comes to different cultures? Are strapless dresses appropriate? What about backless? What about ones that aren''t full sleeved and covering everything? Why does a bride need to wear such high heels if she''s not going galvanting and whoring around town?

As for the quality of women on this board...well, I''m not calling anyone out by name, am I? So if the high heeled whorish shoe fits....
41.gif

I don''t know what strip joints you''re familiar with, T-Gal. Classless?!?!
And I understand that there are varying ways of delivering an opinion, but guess what, it goes both ways. I don''t think that the ladies who didn''t like the dress were the only ones to deliver their opinions in a less than thoughtless fashion.
9.gif
I''ll only speak for myself, but I''m always thoughtless and pretend to be nothing but.
9.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock

3.gif
3.gif

And I understand that there are varying ways of delivering an opinion, but guess what, it goes both ways. I don''t think that the ladies who didn''t like the dress were the only ones to deliver their opinions in a less than thoughtful fashion.
9.gif
agreed

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:13:10 PM

FWIW, I personally don''t think there is anything wrong with expressing that the dress isn''t what someone else would wear. Or might seem shocking and different. Calling it a stripper themed wedding is pretty much saying it''s classless when weddings ''should'' be events full of class. Where does one draw the line on appropriate when it comes to different cultures? Are strapless dresses appropriate? What about backless? What about ones that aren''t full sleeved and covering everything? Why does a bride need to wear such high heels if she''s not going galvanting and whoring around town?

41.gif

And I understand that there are varying ways of delivering an opinion, but guess what, it goes both ways. I don''t think that the ladies who didn''t like the dress were the only ones to deliver their opinions in a less than thoughtless fashion.
9.gif
I''ll only speak for myself, but I''m always thoughtless and pretend to be nothing but.
9.gif

Ok ok, LOL, I did go back and fix that!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:03:32 PM
Date: 11/12/2009 5:53:58 PM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 11/12/2009 5:49:22 PM
Oh so anyone who has commented negatively on the dress is insecure?
Yup. Feels good to be so classy & smart right? When others are so ugly & dumb. Yay you!
Really? You don''t even know me and you''re going to personally attack me for expressing my opinion! Now that''s classy!
You asked ... I answered. Yes I believe that *anyone* who harshly trashes someone''s WEDDING ATTIRE on a public forum betrays their own insecurity and subconscious hope for approval. That they''re looking for a "yay me!" thrill at the expense of someone else. Everyone is welcome to their opinion. But be prepared for folks to judge your OPINION as being tacky. I guess you can dish but not take? At least YOU showed up here voluntarily ... that bride: didn''t.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:18:26 PM

Date: 11/12/2009 6:03:32 PM

Date: 11/12/2009 5:53:58 PM

Date: 11/12/2009 5:49:22 PM
Oh so anyone who has commented negatively on the dress is insecure?
Yup. Feels good to be so classy & smart right? When others are so ugly & dumb. Yay you!
Really? You don't even know me and you're going to personally attack me for expressing my opinion! Now that's classy!
You asked ... I answered. Yes I believe that *anyone* who harshly trashes someone's WEDDING ATTIRE on a public forum betrays their own insecurity and subconscious hope for approval. That they're looking for a 'yay me!' thrill at the expense of someone else. Everyone is welcome to their opinion. But be prepared for folks to judge your OPINION as being tacky. I guess you can dish but not take? At least YOU showed up here voluntarily ... that bride: didn't.
In my case, you *believe* wrong. I wasn't looking for a 'yay me.' I just plain didn't like the dress. And since this is a WEDDING FORUM, where we discuss dresses we like, and those we DON'T like, I felt it was okay to say I didn't like this dress.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:35:14 PM
Author: Bia
I wasn't looking for a 'yay me.' I just plain didn't like the dress. And since this is a WEDDING FORUM, where we discuss dresses we like, and those we DON'T like, I felt it was okay to say I didn't like this dress.
Honestly, I think its impolite to give opinions about people's tastes a) behind their back and b) when they haven't asked for your opinion. But forget all of that -- pretend it IS someone who is asking your opinion ... there are kind ways to express distaste and less kind ways.

KINDER
*wow!
*that's not my taste!
*(silence)

LESS KIND
*horrible!
*oh gross!
*ewwwwwwwwww!

ETA: The Perez Hilton-ing of society gives me the sads.

Rough_Rock
Even if people don''t like the taste/dress/style, what is it to everyone else to defend?

I can see both sides, but if A said it''s nasty/putrid/gross, why is it B''s job to say how rude it was?

It was posted for conversation, no?

I think it''s ugly as sin, but WHO CARES anyways? It''s not my wedding, or yours, its hers.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:58:56 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
From another thread, it shocked me too.. however my understanding and what I''ve heard about travelers is that when they get married, they stay married quite successfully and that this kind of wedding is the norm among them.
SDL, I learned that on PS too. I thought..hm..interesting! Then went to go learn a bit more about travelers. Who knew?

hisdiamondgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 6:46:22 PM
Date: 11/12/2009 6:35:14 PM

Author: Bia

I wasn''t looking for a ''yay me.'' I just plain didn''t like the dress. And since this is a WEDDING FORUM, where we discuss dresses we like, and those we DON''T like, I felt it was okay to say I didn''t like this dress.

Honestly, I think its impolite to give opinions about people''s tastes a) behind their back and b) when they haven''t asked for your opinion. But forget all of that -- pretend it IS someone who is asking your opinion ... there are kind ways to express distaste and less kind ways.

KINDER

*wow!

*that''s not my taste!

*(silence)

LESS KIND

*horrible!

*oh gross!

*ewwwwwwwwww!

ETA: The Perez Hilton-ing of society gives me the sads.

Deco, it''s funny, we don''t even disagree! There are also kinder and less kind ways of expressing YOUR opinion!

KINDER: You know what ladies, maybe you should remember that this is a real bride we are talking about.

LESS KIND: "Yes yes yes ... people are SOOOO gross and do things SOOO differently than *you* would and YOU have class and others are tacky and wasteful and gauche and dumb. Lets all get together and laugh at the gross dumb people. It''ll make us feel better about ourselves!"

meresal

Ideal_Rock
No, it's not anyone's job to stand up for her, but it's something I do.

In an oline forum and in real life. If someone can't or doesn't speak up for themselves, I do it. Ya, some people are offended but it is usually because no one has stood up to them before. But I don't care, it's the right thing to do.

I just went thru a year of planning for one weekend and in all honesty, if I saw that my pictures had been posted to a forum and my decision were being commented on like a few of the posts here, I would be hurt. Possibly very hurt actually.

Yes, everyone has a right to their own opinion, I get that. But some opinions are much more hurtful than others, and imo unecessary.

If I saw some of any of you all's wedding pictures posted on any other thread, I would do the exact same thing. Lots of time, effort, and hard work go into planning a wedding, and every decision is meticulously made and done so for a reason, whatever that reason may be.

I just don't agree with judging another persons decisions on thier own wedding, in such a harsh manner.

This thread is remarkably similar to a few that have been posted before. Some people just don't like seeing another person's style being trashed for absolutely no reason.

I used to manage a bridal salon, and a "dancer" came in and wanted a dress designed that was one of the most provactive dresses that I have ever seen, but her husband loved her body and wanted to see lots of it on their wedding day. Is it my place to judge her for wanting to feel sexy. No. That is what she wanted.

I have never seen a girl post her dress here and be told "eww" or "gross". Everyone here respects that each other member has their own taste and view, and if the poster is asking for opinions then the negative reply is at least tactful, so why can't that be extended to the rest of the brides out there? Everyone here is so nice to the other members, I just don't understand saying rude things about someone that has done nothing to any of us.

ETA:
SDL, you look gorgeous in your AV!!
Freke: Thanks for posting the old thread. I was wondering when it had been discussed before.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 7:21:14 PM
Deco, it''s funny, we don''t even disagree! There are also kinder and less kind ways of expressing YOUR opinion!

KINDER: You know what ladies, maybe you should remember that this is a real bride we are talking about.

LESS KIND: ''Yes yes yes ... people are SOOOO gross and do things SOOO differently than *you* would and YOU have class and others are tacky and wasteful and gauche and dumb. Lets all get together and laugh at the gross dumb people. It''ll make us feel better about ourselves!''
I agree too!! My comment was sarcastic & designed to "shock" people into awareness that they were, in fact, being mean-spirited and going down a well-worn, unattractive path fresh in many people''s minds around here (see "most memorable thread" thread). What "purpose" did all the GROSS!!! and EWs!!! serve?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 3:30:55 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 11/11/2009 3:08:53 PM
Author: princessplease
Ew, just EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why? Because she made choices you didn''t make?

Do you not realize how mean that simple statement was? This was somebody''s WEDDING. The day that was probably one of the happiest (if not THE happiest) days of her life. Who are you to come on here and say ''EW!!!!!!!!!'' to it? If you don''t like it, you can refrain from saying anything, but that girl does not deserve to end up on Google one day seeing the mean things being said about her wedding just because she had a wedding that was to *her* taste and not yours.
The whole purpose of the original poster was to elicit the "Eww!" response. If YOU don''t want to join in, then don''t.

And yeah, they have horrendous taste, so it''s easy to make comments. Too easy. But that''s why they''re being profiled in the Daily Mail, isn''t it? And why they chose to be profiled, right? That old ''fifteen minutes of fame'' virus that affects the crassest amongst us. They fully realize they are entertainingly freaky, and so they planned every silly freakish detail to attract (more than the usual) attention. And, who knows, they probably got paid for it, which would really be the whole point . . .for them.

So, please. Let''s not waste any more indignation. They enjoyed every minute of their infamy. Believe it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 4:37:54 PM
B-I-N-G-O? At a BABY shower? How declasse ... the ''in'' thing is Twister. And afterwards post the pictures on Facebook for a real hoot!
Can an 8 or 9 mos. pregnant women even PLAY Twister??
6.gif
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 7:41:54 PM
Author: HollyS
Date: 11/11/2009 3:30:55 PM

Author: princesss

Date: 11/11/2009 3:08:53 PM

Author: princessplease

Ew, just EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? Because she made choices you didn''t make?

Do you not realize how mean that simple statement was? This was somebody''s WEDDING. The day that was probably one of the happiest (if not THE happiest) days of her life. Who are you to come on here and say ''EW!!!!!!!!!'' to it? If you don''t like it, you can refrain from saying anything, but that girl does not deserve to end up on Google one day seeing the mean things being said about her wedding just because she had a wedding that was to *her* taste and not yours.

The whole purpose of the original poster was to elicit the ''Eww!'' response. If YOU don''t want to join in, then don''t.

And yeah, they have horrendous taste, so it''s easy to make comments. Too easy. But that''s why they''re being profiled in the Daily Mail, isn''t it? And why they chose to be profiled, right? That old ''fifteen minutes of fame'' virus that affects the crassest amongst us. They fully realize they are entertainingly freaky, and so they planned every silly freakish detail to attract (more than the usual) attention. And, who knows, they probably got paid for it, which would really be the whole point . . .for them.

So, please. Let''s not waste any more indignation. They enjoyed every minute of their infamy. Believe it.

OMG this is the second time I''ve agreed with Holly in the past week or two!
6.gif

When you have the Daily Mail feature your wedding, you start to cross over from private citizen to somewhat of a public figure. It''s a blurry line these days with reality TV, etc., but if you allow a magazine/newspaper/TV show to do a big story on your over the top wedding, you have to expect people to comment, and not always nicely.

I think her dress (and everyone else''s ensembles) are pretty insane, but to each their own. I mean, if you''re gonna do it, you may as well go all out, right? I can respect that, seriously! And I am not in the least bit insecure about my own wedding/wedding dress/body/appearance, and saying that I think the ensembles are insane doesn''t make me feel better about myself in any way. It''s just my opinion-obviously she thought it was gorgeous and that''s all that matters.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
"OMG this is the second time I''ve agreed with Holly in the past week or two!"

It''s only a matter of time before I''ve got you properly assimilated.
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 8:09:49 PM
'OMG this is the second time I've agreed with Holly in the past week or two!'

It's only a matter of time before I've got you properly assimilated.
9.gif

*RUNS AWAY SCREAMING*
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 8:12:18 PM
Author: thing2of2
''OMG this is the second time I''ve agreed with Holly in the past week or two!''

9.gif

*RUNS AWAY SCREAMING*
3.gif
MWUAHAHAHAHAAAA!

(Sorry, someone had to add in the sound effects. I''m back to lurking on this thread in silent shock and horror.)

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 8:14:25 PM
Author: Haven

'OMG this is the second time I've agreed with Holly in the past week or two!'

It's only a matter of time before I've got you properly assimilated.
9.gif

*RUNS AWAY SCREAMING*
3.gif
MWUAHAHAHAHAAAA!

(Sorry, someone had to add in the sound effects. I'm back to lurking on this thread in silent shock and horror.)
28.gif

And why are you lurking in silent shock and horror? Which are you horrified at - - thing2 and I agreeing, the gypsy wedding, only the clothing at the gypsy wedding, or the posters' comments?
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 8:14:25 PM
Author: Haven

''OMG this is the second time I''ve agreed with Holly in the past week or two!''

9.gif

*RUNS AWAY SCREAMING*
3.gif

MWUAHAHAHAHAAAA!

(Sorry, someone had to add in the sound effects. I''m back to lurking on this thread in silent shock and horror.)

Ha, that was scary! I wish you''d chime in with your shock and horror, though!
3.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s like a riot in here! I am drawn to the drama. So much so that I might actually have to open the link. I think this might make me gross, tacky, unrefined, couth-less, probably obnoxious, a gaper, an ambulance-chaser, a drama-inciter, and guilty of dragging out the shenanigans by posting at all. Woot! I''m breathless with anticipation! Fingers, type faster so I can get to the damn link already!!!!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh. Well, that was kind of a letdown. What''s in the groom''s hair? Twist ties? Cool!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooooh oooohhhh (scraping toe on ground and making braying noises) ... lemmie at ''em ... I''m DRUNK on two glasses of white wine. Come at me twenty-something sorority trixies!!! And forty-something republicans! Before I doze off (pass out).

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 10:36:55 PM
Oooooh oooohhhh (scraping toe on ground and making braying noises) ... lemmie at 'em ... I'm DRUNK on two glasses of white wine. Come at me twenty-something sorority trixies!!! And forty-something republicans! Before I doze off (pass out).
/\
|
|
Officially my favorite post EVER.
Can somebody make one of those moving emoticons based on this post, please? Come on, a braying, toe scraping, flushed emotie with a bottle of white wine in one hand and a shock of gray hair? I *need* that emoticon. Please. Somebody?

ETA: If you can give the deco emotie a little Papillon emotie friend too I'll be over the moon.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 10:36:55 PM
Oooooh oooohhhh (scraping toe on ground and making braying noises) ... lemmie at ''em ... I''m DRUNK on two glasses of white wine. Come at me twenty-something sorority trixies!!! And forty-something republicans! Before I doze off (pass out).

Ha-I''m neither a twenty-something sorority trixie or a forty-something Republican...whatchoo gonna do about it?!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
O.M.G.

Holdy crap deco... Only 2 glasses?? Hahahahaha.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results