shape
carat
color
clarity

UK Teen Wedding... MUST read!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
I came across this online and simply had to share it with you all.
36.gif

http://www.closeronline.co.uk/RealLife/Reallifestories/teen-wedding.aspx?dateonline=Monday+27+October+2008

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
"I wanted a proper Cinderella wedding."

I MUST get my hands on whatever Disney movies are being produced in the UK because they're definitely not like in the US

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
What is a caravan park?

buttercup80

Shiny_Rock
That''s not real, is it? That''s crazy!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Can someone explain to me why they all want to live in caravans??

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Is a caravan like a trailer park?

Mayflower25

Rough_Rock
After reading it, yes, I think a caravan is like a trailer park. Can some of our UK ladies provide the correct definition?

My favorite part are the bridesmaid''s dresses :)

Soon2BeMrsJo

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 5:21:55 PM
Author: fieryred33143
''I wanted a proper Cinderella wedding.''
I was a bit confused about that comment as well!?!?

violet02

Ideal_Rock
The bridesmaids appeared to have large poofy blue cinderella type dresses... I think.

Intersting article, it''s hard to believe it''s real considering the cost and the age of the couple!

kstar512

Rough_Rock
Ok, that was like the funniest thing I have seen. This girl can not be serious.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''m insane but I actually liked the bridesmaid dresses haha

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
How on earth did the father save enough £100,000 for the wedding and then another £18,000 for the new caravan by laying tarmac? Do travelers not pay any taxes or something? That''s an insane amount of money.

I''m thinking of emailing it to my dad as blueprints for my dream wedding.
11.gif
3.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
"I don’t know if Thomas will like it, but that’s his problem."

This is a great start to their marriage. LOL! I love the ''plastered in gallons of fake tan'' line. Quality journalism. Hehe!!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
This is SO tacky! I can''t believe they let her get married in the Catholic church wearing that get-up!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, this is absurd. If my dad saw me in such a getup when I was 16, he would have never let me leave the house, much less enter a church! Does that even qualify as a "dress?" (Here I was worrying my dress might not be modest enough for a Catholic wedding--guess I have nothing to worry about.)

I want to know: who is this "extravagant" crowd? Do they live in the caravan park, too? How many other weddings are like this?

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
Oh, my gosh. I don''t even have words!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I posted a link to this story yesterday in this thread. Check out the Mother of the Bride. Wow...

honey22

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
Does the father have rocks in his head?!?! WTH!!! They are all living in a caravan park (yes, it''s the US equivalent of a trailer park) and he drops that kind of money on a wedding?!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 6:10:15 PM
Author: oobiecoo
This is SO tacky! I can''t believe they let her get married in the Catholic church wearing that get-up!

EXACTLY!!! That was my very first thought. I''ve had friends in relatively modest gowns who had to wear boleros or pashimas to get married in the church. geez!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
on another note, did anyone else notice how fake her jugs look?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock

I can''t tell if its a boob-job or if its just a super industrial strength bustier... I vote fake though!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a Traveler wedding.

Re: Caravans. Travelers are basically Irish Gypsys. As I understand it, it's their culture to live in Caravans, and a preference, not a statement of their inability to purchase housing. it's like insulting Indians for tee pees. *-
38.gif
Use Wiki to look up "Travelers". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Traveller

They marry quite young, and actually they have a very low divorce rate. They are discriminated against quite strongly because they do have their own culture, with in a larger country that does not accept them. They seem have very elaborate weddings, where quite a bit of $$ are expended.

That being said. Her dress is atrocious. But it's in line with other Traveler brides we've seen on here. See the Unusual Wedding Gowns thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-wedding-gowns.92722/ -

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
What a classy affair!
20.gif

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy no one said anything insulting I just didn''t know what a caravan was. From the context of the article it seemed something like having a trailer in America.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
those are some HUGE boobs.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
If you've ever seen "The Riches" on FX...I believe they are supposed to be a traveller family, except living in the US.

It's very interesting to see a kind of subculture that we don't really have exposure to over here in the States. Would they be considered an ethnic minority? I'm not sure. Yes, the wedding is ridiculous and over the top by mainstream standards. But, within groups there are cultural differences. Latinos have quicineras...some may say it is ridiculous to spend so much money on a 15 year old and dress her up in a bride-like getup...but it is a cultural thing. When looking at photographers, I saw a wedding where all the men were in zoot suits and fedoras...not having grown up in SoCal, I was like "Huh? That's funny looking" but my fiance informed me that it is a common way to dress in the Mexican-American/ Latino culture. Many other cultures take weddings extremely seriously and have outrageously expensive (and outfitted) ceremonies and receptions to match.

I'm wondering why this is in the news...is it because she is a teenager? Because her dress is trashy looking? Because her family is a minority ethnic group, that is presumed won't have enough money to pay for this? We see $100K+ weddings on TV all the time (platinum weddings anyone?) and generally the response is...well, I wouldn't do it that way, but if you have the $$$...

Interesting look at value judgements, that's to be sure. I'm always interested in looking at cases with minority groups that have managed to remain self-contained, even within a larger, often conflicting culture.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 9:37:17 PM
Author: rockzilla
If you''ve ever seen ''The Riches'' on FX...I believe they are supposed to be a traveller family, except living in the US.

It''s very interesting to see a kind of subculture that we don''t really have exposure to over here in the States. Would they be considered an ethnic minority? I''m not sure. Yes, the wedding is ridiculous and over the top by mainstream standards. But, within groups there are cultural differences. Latinos have quicineras...some may say it is ridiculous to spend so much money on a 15 year old and dress her up in a bride-like getup...but it is a cultural thing. When looking at photographers, I saw a wedding where all the men were in zoot suits and fedoras...not having grown up in SoCal, I was like ''Huh? That''s funny looking'' but my fiance informed me that it is a common way to dress in the Mexican-American/ Latino culture. Many other cultures take weddings extremely seriously and have outrageously expensive (and outfitted) ceremonies and receptions to match.

I''m wondering why this is in the news...is it because she is a teenager? Because her dress is trashy looking? Because her family is a minority ethnic group, that is presumed won''t have enough money to pay for this? We see $100K+ weddings on TV all the time (platinum weddings anyone?) and generally the response is...well, I wouldn''t do it that way, but if you have the $$$...

Interesting look at value judgements, that''s to be sure. I''m always interested in looking at cases with minority groups that have managed to remain self-contained, even within a larger, often conflicting culture.

Maybe it was because she is an ethnic minority, but I really think it was because she is so young. Just like the US shows (e.g. engaged and underage). But I could be wrong.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
The photos really didn''t show the dress. All you see is the rest of her scantily clad get-up. How big was the dress?

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
There are no words.
32.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 7:05:47 PM
Author: Gypsy
It''s a Traveler wedding.

Re: Caravans. Travelers are basically Irish Gypsys. As I understand it, it''s their culture to live in Caravans, and a preference, not a statement of their inability to purchase housing. it''s like insulting Indians for tee pees. *-
38.gif
Use Wiki to look up ''Travelers''. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Traveller

They marry quite young, and actually they have a very low divorce rate. They are discriminated against quite strongly because they do have their own culture, with in a larger country that does not accept them. They seem have very elaborate weddings, where quite a bit of $$ are expended.

That being said. Her dress is atrocious. But it''s in line with other Traveler brides we''ve seen on here. See the Unusual Wedding Gowns thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unusual-wedding-gowns.92722/ -

Yep you got it right Gypsy. Travelers, for the most part live in caravans and as the name suggests they travel round to different places and stay there for a litte while before moving on. We have a lot of settled travelers over here at the moment though also. They do go a little OTT with most things, especially weddings. From any programmes that I''ve looked at and from speaking to travelers over here, a wedding day is literally the fairy tale day for the bride and they do tend to get married young. Sex before marriage is also hugely frowned upon and even dating can be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results