shape
carat
color
clarity

I couldn''t believe this when I read it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

princessk731

Rough_Rock
That is the most twisted thing I have heard in a while. Who would pay that much for that dress (1) and who in the world would spend that on a 16 year olds wedding she should be in school getting an education (isn''t that a law in the US?)

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Gross...just gross.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This has been posted a few times in the past - it''s craziness.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 12:43:20 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
This has been posted a few times in the past - it''s craziness.

Yeah it makes the rounds every few months.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 12:34:03 PM
Author: princessk731
That is the most twisted thing I have heard in a while. Who would pay that much for that dress (1) and who in the world would spend that on a 16 year olds wedding she should be in school getting an education (isn''t that a law in the US?)
Whether it is a law in the US is irrelevant since the wedding took place in the UK.

I guess I don''t get how it''s "twisted." Is it a choice I''d make? No. But it obviously is a choice somebody would make, and if everybody involved is happy with the way it turned out, who are we to judge? It''s not our money and it doesn''t affect us.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes yes yes ... people are SOOOO gross and do things SOOO differently than *you* would and YOU have class and others are tacky and wasteful and gauche and dumb. Lets all get together and laugh at the gross dumb people. It''ll make us feel better about ourselves!

36.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
This was along the same lines of the famous Waffle House Wedding thread.

What seems ridiculous to some is ideal for others (vice versa).

eta: although, I do have to say, that dress...horrible.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 1:23:15 PM
Author: Bia

ITA. to each his own... but that dress....
6.gif

btw... dont be a hater for me saying this: but when i saw the very FIRST photo - i thought - "she's 16?!?!?"

btw, i found more pictures of this in here: My wedding cost £100,000 and all i can say is... it's not my style.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Ew, just EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 1:53:54 PM
Author: cleokizzy

Date: 11/11/2009 1:23:15 PM

ITA. to each his own... but that dress....
6.gif

btw... dont be a hater for me saying this: but when i saw the very FIRST photo - i thought - 'she's 16?!?!?'

btw, i found more pictures of this in here: My wedding cost £100,000 and all i can say is... it's not my style.

Wow. that article was even more disturbing:
"Girls as young as nine posed proudly in bikini tops, high heels and full make-up"
6.gif

"“I wanted a proper Cinderella wedding. A day where I’d be the centre of attention,” says Missy."
23.gif
She calls that dress "proper"?. I'm sorry.. .to each their own but that is def not proper.

"“Thomas might expect me to cook and clean, but I’m not going to. He can look after me as far as I’m concerned!...the youngster already knows what she wants to do for a career. “I want to spend my days applying make-up and styling my hair. I want to get into glamour modelling. I don’t know if Thomas will like it, but that’s his problem,” she says.""
33.gif

I truly wish them lots of luck...
40.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 3:08:53 PM
Author: princessplease
Why? Because she made choices you didn''t make?

Do you not realize how mean that simple statement was? This was somebody''s WEDDING. The day that was probably one of the happiest (if not THE happiest) days of her life. Who are you to come on here and say "EW!!!!!!!!!" to it? If you don''t like it, you can refrain from saying anything, but that girl does not deserve to end up on Google one day seeing the mean things being said about her wedding just because she had a wedding that was to *her* taste and not yours.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s funny (not in a mean way) that she ripped her dress on a pew .. that train must''ve been massive!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
It''s a cultural thing. Extravagant weddings are fairly common amongst traveler families.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
thanks gwendolyn, delster for the links! i learned something new today! never really heard of "Travellers".

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto princesss. Ditto ditto ditto.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
weird...but I think a lot of things that are considered normal for weddings in mainstream US culture are also pretty weird.
28.gif

Bjedifish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I seriously have no words for this.
14.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 3:30:55 PM
Author: princesss

Do you not realize how mean that simple statement was? This was somebody''s WEDDING. The day that was probably one of the happiest (if not THE happiest) days of her life. Who are you to come on here and say ''EW!!!!!!!!!'' to it? If you don''t like it, you can refrain from saying anything, but that girl does not deserve to end up on Google one day seeing the mean things being said about her wedding just because she had a wedding that was to *her* taste and not yours.
I think if she ever bothers to google her own wedding she is going to find ALOT worse things written about it than just ''ew'', hell, people on HERE wrote things worse than ''ew''.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just as I think it''s within that girl''s right to have whatever kind of wedding she wants, I think it''s also within people''s rights to say "ew" at it. Might not be polite, but I don''t think people join anonymous forums in order to behave with perfect decorum.

I don''t think anybody is right or wrong. But enjoying and exercising your freedom of expression means you have to allow other people theirs, even if you don''t like hearing it. I think that''s always been the price for defying convention and you just have to decide if it''s worth it.

In high school, I had "weird" tastes in clothing, but I liked what I liked so I wore it anyways. Did it annoy me to have people make faces at me and assume wrong things? Sometimes. Did I like it? No Did I expect it? Of course, I wasn''t naive, I realized I was choosing to dress in a peculiar manner. And the comments certainly didn''t stop me from being me.

Personally, I''m mostly surprised that the priest allowed her to be married in a miniskirt, I was under the impression that orthodox religions were rather strict about church dress code?

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
MakingTheGrade, thanks for making this point. I kept coming back to this thread feeling like I should write something along the lines of your post, but you worded it with much more grace than I probably would have.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 10:29:38 PM
Author: hawaiianorangetree

Date: 11/11/2009 3:30:55 PM

Do you not realize how mean that simple statement was? This was somebody''s WEDDING. The day that was probably one of the happiest (if not THE happiest) days of her life. Who are you to come on here and say ''EW!!!!!!!!!'' to it? If you don''t like it, you can refrain from saying anything, but that girl does not deserve to end up on Google one day seeing the mean things being said about her wedding just because she had a wedding that was to *her* taste and not yours.
I think if she ever bothers to google her own wedding she is going to find ALOT worse things written about it than just ''ew'', hell, people on HERE wrote things worse than ''ew''.
That doesn''t make it right, or okay for us to say it.

We wouldn''t make comments like that about a PSer''s wedding, so why shouldn''t we extend the same courtesy to other people? I''m not saying I''m perfect - I can definitely be snarky. But what happened to all babies and all brides being beautiful?

I don''t understand why people think it''s so okay to be mean to people because they make different choices. Hiding behind the excuse that other people have said worse things or that it''s the choice you make for doing things differently doesn''t mean what people are saying is right, or okay. It just means they think they''re justified in being mean.

MTG, as I recall, you had a very different dress from the norm, and you wore it because it made you feel beautiful. How would you feel if you came across a message board one day to a thread ripping apart your wedding and wedding dress because it was different? It would hurt, right? Because you felt beautiful, and whether they''re annonymous internet people or not, it would sting.

I''m not saying I''m perfect, or that I''ve never said mean things. I have. But part of growing is examining WHY we said mean things, and why we thought it was okay. So really, why do people think it''s okay to be mean about this wedding?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every culture has different customs about the earliest age for marriage (and I'm not making any judgments on it), but if it's true that the girl has no education, that is a shame.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2009 9:22:25 AM

MTG, as I recall, you had a very different dress from the norm, and you wore it because it made you feel beautiful. How would you feel if you came across a message board one day to a thread ripping apart your wedding and wedding dress because it was different? It would hurt, right? Because you felt beautiful, and whether they''re anonymous internet people or not, it would sting.

Actually no it wouldn''t. People HAVE been snarky about my dress, and within hearing distance, "red is the color for whores" etc. It didn''t hurt my feelings, I know I have different tastes, and I don''t really care what strangers think about it. I''m not a celebrity that can''t afford fashion criticism, and I''m not a designer where my life''s work is my sense of fashion. The opinions of strangers regarding my fashion sense don''t mean much to me.

People aren''t saying the girl is dumb, and nobody is passing moral judgments. I think most of us just think that those dresses are unattractive (the girl herself is actually quite pretty in my opinion).

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 2:40:51 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

MTG, as I recall, you had a very different dress from the norm, and you wore it because it made you feel beautiful. How would you feel if you came across a message board one day to a thread ripping apart your wedding and wedding dress because it was different? It would hurt, right? Because you felt beautiful, and whether they''re anonymous internet people or not, it would sting.

Actually no it wouldn''t. People HAVE been snarky about my dress, and within hearing distance, ''red is the color for whores'' etc. It didn''t hurt my feelings, I know I have different tastes, and I don''t really care what strangers think about it. I''m not a celebrity that can''t afford fashion criticism, and I''m not a designer where my life''s work is my sense of fashion. The opinions of strangers regarding my fashion sense don''t mean much to me.

People aren''t saying the girl is dumb, and nobody is passing moral judgments. I think most of us just think that those dresses are unattractive (the girl herself is actually quite pretty in my opinion).
I''m glad you''re able to shrug off comments like that (and I''m terribly sorry you''re getting them! I thought your dress was lovely), but not everybody is so strong.

We''ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, although I grew up as an outspoken atheist, bisexual, goth-geeky minority student in a conservative christian community. So tirades against my choice of clothing are pretty small fry.

You can always stop reading an online forum, or not pick up a magazine that has you under "Worst Dressed" (let's be honest, we've all been amused by those, and it's not nice either). The media and entertainment industry pretty much make a living out of making fun of people and picking them apart. I draw the line at harassment, slander, personal attacks, and forcing your judgments on others. But that's just me.

I'm not saying she doesn't have a heart of gold, or that I'm not happy for them. They may go on to be the happiest and sweetest couple in the world for all I know. It's just my personal opinion that the bridal party dresses are..well..unattractive to me.

I like the "agree to disagree" philosophy
9.gif
I wish that were somehow a universal law that you could somehow invoke..

ETA: I also feel like when you agree to do an interview for a magazine, you kind of open yourself to strangers judging you, your statements, and your photos. It's part of the cost of knowingly putting yourself into the public world. Who knows, Missy might not even care about our comments, maybe she just cares that it's good exposure for her modeling career. I feel similarly for people who put Youtubes up of themselves, you kind of enter an unspoken social contract that by purposely putting yourself into the public view, you acknowledge the risk of being talked about.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 2:43:51 PM

Actually no it wouldn''t. People HAVE been snarky about my dress, and within hearing distance, ''red is the color for whores'' etc. It didn''t hurt my feelings, I know I have different tastes, and I don''t really care what strangers think about it. I''m not a celebrity that can''t afford fashion criticism, and I''m not a designer where my life''s work is my sense of fashion. The opinions of strangers regarding my fashion sense don''t mean much to me.

I''m glad you''re able to shrug off comments like that (and I''m terribly sorry you''re getting them! I thought your dress was lovely), but not everybody is so strong.

P: the dress? didn''t hurt your eyes just a bit? it''s a practically a fluffy wedding-dress bikini!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 2:57:45 PM

Date: 11/12/2009 2:43:51 PM

P: the dress? didn''t hurt your eyes just a bit? it''s a practically a fluffy wedding-dress bikini!
Not really. It''s not my taste at all, and definitely not something I''d try on, but I put it in the category of the dancing down the aisle video from a while back: not something I''d do, but good on you if it''s right for you and you go for it.

If people want to criticize the dress, that''s one thing. But a lot of the comments weren''t specific about the dress - they were all-encompassing and I felt they could be attacking the bride and not just the dress, KWIM?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2009 2:56:46 PM
I like the ''agree to disagree'' philosophy
9.gif
I wish that were somehow a universal law that you could somehow invoke..
Same!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results