shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought a D Fl 3Ex diamond, but does it have a good cut?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, and I was searching for "perfection," there's no way I'd NOT buy a super ideal. I'd also happily come down in clarity to buy a diamond at least a carat in size.

Veronne96

Rough_Rock
Hi.. just hoping anyone could help me on this. I have recently bought a 3EX diamond to set it into a ring. I assume I’ve gotten quite a good deal for G color and SI2 with eye clean and face up quite white. And I assume 3EX is good enough, until I read more about HCA...
and mine is at 5.2
It’s a little too late now since they don’t accept return policy so I’m just CD70BBB9-0AC8-4FDB-B04C-49A706330C37.png wondering is this ok for a ring ?

this is the face up view of the diamond (the more I look at it the weirder it looks to me haha not sure if it’s just a “mental block”)

thanks in advance ☺️
357387B8-1143-454E-A079-D994D083B17D.jpeg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi.. just hoping anyone could help me on this. I have recently bought a 3EX diamond to set it into a ring. I assume I’ve gotten quite a good deal for G color and SI2 with eye clean and face up quite white. And I assume 3EX is good enough, until I read more about HCA...
and mine is at 5.2
It’s a little too late now since they don’t accept return policy so I’m just CD70BBB9-0AC8-4FDB-B04C-49A706330C37.png wondering is this ok for a ring ?

this is the face up view of the diamond (the more I look at it the weirder it looks to me haha not sure if it’s just a “mental block”)

thanks in advance ☺

I think the cut quality may be not the worst news.
I suspect that the diamonds clarity grade has a strong influence from clouds or internal graining?
Would you like to share the certificate info?

Veronne96

Rough_Rock
I think the cut quality may be not the worst news.
I suspect that the diamonds clarity grade has a strong influence from clouds or internal graining?
Would you like to share the certificate info?

Here you go, GIA 2366373104
Really appreciate any input

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why its important to buy from a PS vendor (not trying to lecture). Most have a 30 day return policy. If you have second thoughts you can return.
I wish you had found Pricescope before you purchased.

Is this from a small jeweler or an on-line company? Can you provide us a link to the company that does not provide returns?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here you go, GIA 2366373104
Really appreciate any input

You should post the image not make people work for you V.
The clouds are not marked - usually they mention that - but as the second mentioned in a likely eye cleanish diamond - I suspect the outside facets are a little dull because of clouds - but it is hard to be sure because the leakage under the table would dull the light leaving the edges as well.
But FYI - SI2 in that size is either eye visible or a bit milky - which may be why you say it looks very white.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think the biggest issue (for me) is the fact that the table is larger than the depth. I do not like that look, especially the very large table reflection due to such a large table I also do not care for that very spread-y large table and very low crown height. I say this from experience as I had a stone like that once.

With that said, I think @Veronne96 should be excited about having a stone face up much larger, I would imagine this was a draw to that stone. And there is nothing wrong with that! I do think that the stone could appear legitimately "white" because it is a G color, another thing to feel good about.

Alarming: THIS STONE WAS JUST GRADED less than a month ago... was there no return/exchange policy whatsoever? That is very questionable to me.

There could be an eye visible inclusion, I don't know... but I don't know why @Garry H (Cut Nut) would assume it is milky due to its clarity grade. There is no comment regarding clouds not shown. It seems to me that it just has a number of types of clarity characteristics, but nothing alarming like excessive clouds nor anything like surface graining, knots, etc. And the table is almost free of inclusions at 10X plotting magnification.

Honestly, I think there is nothing wrong with this stone visually aside from the large table reflection. As for performance, yes... there will be leakage resulting in less fire, but an upside to that very spread-y stone is that it will contribute to its brightness. So I can see that the brightness + the G color would yield a very "white" appearing stone which is always a plus. I think if it could be exchanged would be preferable, but I think that if there is no return option we should focus on the positives.

I want to point out that THIS would be a prime example of what should be referred to here as a bad GIA Triple Excellent. A good number of what is asserted here as being undesirable 3x's are actually not - they are attractive stones, they might just not be super ideals. I think a lot of people have diamonds that they were made to feel were bad stones because they were 3x's yet don't fit within SI parameters. Not everyone can have a stone with the top, top specs but can still have a nice diamond. And if they already have a stone that doesn't measure up to PS standards it does no one any good to make the feel badly about their diamond. I understand there is a range of 3x's and this is probably the bottom of that range. But there are so many stones that come across this forum that are no where near this and are torn apart and it is really unfortunate.

I think OP should be excited to have a GIA stone in a G color that faces up large for its carat weight and enjoy it, and maybe one day can upgrade. (And, yes, be excited to have a lab report that does state that it is a GIA Triple Excellent diamond.) But no point casting a shadow on what should be a happy time by bashing this diamond. I understand that OP asked, but we need to use a bit of tact and emphasize the positives. Let's also remember that the image posted is magnified so overtly... in real life I am sure it looks fine. I would love to see the mounting it is set in.

As for the jeweler that sold it, I think it horrible if there was no exchange/return period. But you really cannot fault the jeweler for selling this stone as they are selling the highest quality from the worlds foremost authority (self-acclaimed) gemological laboratory so if this stone is so far from excellent that falls on the lab, not necessarily the jeweler IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and mine is at 5.2

thanks in advance ☺

For future reference, please start your own thread rather than posting a question on someone else's.

GIA XXX means nothing, though. I think I read they give that grade to 80% of diamonds they grade (Garry can correct me if my percentage is off). This is not a stone we'd ever recommend.

If you learn one important lesson from this, it is to never buy any jewelry or diamonds without a return policy. Reputable companies offer a return policy. I am sorry you didn't find Pricescope before the purchase.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For future reference, please start your own thread rather than posting a question on someone else's.

GIA XXX means nothing, though. I think I read they give that grade to 80% of diamonds they grade (Garry can correct me if my percentage is off). This is not a stone we'd ever recommend.

If you learn one important lesson from this, it is to never buy any jewelry or diamonds without a return policy. Reputable companies offer a return policy. I am sorry you didn't find Pricescope before the purchase.

72.1 Excellent and 60.7% XXX yesterday on RapNet out of 577,863 GIA round brilliant cuts

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results