shape
carat
color
clarity

I am contemplating something drastic...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer basket style mountings like the one I pictures, and actually do not really care for trellis styles in three-stones. Too busy. Although I do like them in a solitaire. Go figure
4.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
interesting! My three stone setting is a basket and I love it.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy and Dreamer: As I said, my fault. I should have stated it plainly. Yesterday was a crazy day and my mind always jumps from idea train to train without connecting them when it's past midnight.
25.gif
Thanks for understanding!
1.gif

I LOVE the BGD halo.

But that three stone is stunning! If it's the usual one diamond to one diamond upgrade or if you get tired of the three stone, you can place the sidestones into earring studs and then place the centerstone in that BGD halo! Best of both worlds! Who said you can't have it all?!
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've not read the numerous pages. . .you mentioned vacations in your opening post???? Why not take one of those first, then decide on the diamond?
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 11:30:06 PM
Author: MC
I''ve not read the numerous pages. . .you mentioned vacations in your opening post???? Why not take one of those first, then decide on the diamond?
2.gif
LOL. No money for both
2.gif
We will be goingto visit family this summer, but no international travel for a while. DH prefers to buy new golf clubs and I prefer to buy diamonds.

We live in paradise really, so travel doesn''t interest me as much now as it used to.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update

So DH and I popped into some jewelry stores while we were out and about today.

First, we think that a 2ct diamond is officially too large for my hands!
6.gif
Although I could rock it, in our area and lifestyle it was really just *too large*. I am fairly certain people would think it was fake. Not that I care, but still, you get the point. So I think that 1.8ct would be my max size were I to upgrade, and that size would feel big to me.

Second, H color was perfectly acceptable colorless to me. And although I color has the slightest tint from the pavilion view, really, it was not unpleasant. I still liked my G better though
2.gif

I don't know what to make of all this, or if it even helps at all, but food for thought I suppose.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe when you get older... LOL, again idk how old you are but in my head, you''re the same age as me.
9.gif
I was talking to my bestie about going bigger then I realized I could totally pull bigger off later but I would be afraid people would think I was buying rings at walmart if I went bigger right now.

And my baby just threw up on my brand new MAC!!
39.gif

jan can

Shiny_Rock
I just want to restate that you never know when you might change your mind. I''ve always prefered RB solitaires. My new stone hasn''t arrived yet and I saw (?)lestat''s EC and I want that now. And you never know how old you''ll be because I''m old enough to know I shouldn''t be changing my mind. Perhaps for a significant birthday I''ll have to have a RHR.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer,

I am going back and forth on my so-called advice here, but I totally get your not being able to make up your mind. I know exactly how you feel!
4.gif

There's another thread in RT whereby the OP asks he should upgrade his wife's diamond to a larger stone or buy her a fancy setting instead. Even though most PS'ers say to go for the halo (which may be what the wife wants), it got me thinking about *yours*. I now *feel* that you're really a solitaire girl at heart and you won't rest easy until you get a larger solitaire that your heart desires.

OK, here goes: I was looking at this stone: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040381680019

Oh, before you start running away after having seen the pricetag on that beauty, hear me out!
2.gif
1.gif

- I reckon you could ask Brian and Lesley to source you a 1.5ct-ish H Si1 (since that combination seems to be most acceptable to you/ what you're willing to go down to) for about $10k-$11k. I notice that the price difference between VS2 and Si1 in an H of that size or slightly larger is about $2k, so $1k to $2k off the stone in the link above is not unreasonable to bring it down one clarity grade.
- You talked in another thread abt a 1.5ct stone, saying that you'd notice the size increase from 1.2ct and I absolutely agree that you would.
- The 3-stone setting that you're considering would set you back $1,275. Add another two side stones of G colour (to match yr current centre stone) of approx 0.30-0.40ct each would set you back another $1,000 (see: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040399040027). So in total you'd have to spend approximately $2,300 (prob $2,400 once you add insurance and shipping charges). Then, in the future, if you upgrade that 3-stone ring to a larger solitaire (even assuming the sidestones are upgradable), you'd have "lost" the money on the 3-stone setting as well as on insurance and shipping (sure, you could reuse the setting for a coloured stone ring, but essentially it'd be lost as far as your diamond project is concerned/ or put it another way, it'd be gone from your diamond budget).
- If you took that $2,400, let's say, and saved up another $2,500-2,600 for a while, you could totally get a 1.50ct H Si1 stone (assuming of course prices don't rocket within now and that time, whenever that might be). I hope you don't mind I kind of remember how much your current stone cost.

And VOILA!! You'd then have the colour, clarity and size that would satisfy you...at least for another few years, I reckon (hope?!
2.gif
3.gif
1.gif
).

Oh oh..you might even be able to modify your current setting to that of the new solitaire...perhaps just changing the head (?) and not have to spend more money on a bunch of settings that you may or may not reuse (you did say somewhere that you only wear one ring at a time).l
1.gif

jan can

Shiny_Rock
Phoenix has some good advice. You could sock away some American dollars while the exchange is great and keep looking. You''d be ready to pounce. The hunt can be as much fun as the buy just knowing it''s going to happen someday when you least expect it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pheonix You are my kind of woman
2.gif
I have been thinking along exactly the same lines. I think you are right that at heart I am a solitaire gal. And DH is too, just not a gal
4.gif
. I have been thinking about halos and three stones since I bought my first RB over two years ago, and the whole saga began. And some how it just never seemed right to me. Every time I got close to making the leap to a reset, I ended up thinking, "Well for a little more I could upgrade". And then I did
2.gif

I have been contemplating getting a larger J color diamond and a new setting and then going up in color over time, since then the setting would be the same. I could get a 1.7ct J color SI1 diamond for under 10k, at least that was the case the last time BGD had a diamond of that size in their inventory, which is about the same out of pocket as the 1.5ct H you are talking about. Then I could go up in color as money allowed, but could use the same setting. In the end, I suspect that it is better if I just jump up to the size I want rather then mess around with an in between size. Although my K bothered me, I have owned a J, and in a setting that covered the pavilion (like the vatche x-prong that I want), I know the tint would not bother me as much. And the size would make me pretty happy while I wait to upgrade
2.gif
, as would knowing I did not waste money on a setting.

The dollar is almost par right now, which is pretty tempting. We do have a very large tax return coming in very soon
12.gif
I wonder if I can justify it? Probably not... but it is worth thinking about. I may need to drug DH though to convince him it is a good idea
20.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Oh, dreamer, thankfully you have eliminated the original option you posted about. BAD idea!

Second, you are a color gal. Even the H you just tried on was 'acceptable' but not as good as your G. J is pretty far away. And you've owed a J before, but in what size? The color will appear more in a larger stone. Just be careful. There are many people that make the color and clarity tradeoffs to a J/SI2 on ps to get the size they want, but you are even talking about upping the clarity on your G to make it more mindclean. You DO care about the color/clarity stats as well as the size.

I am totally sympathetic (at least on the size and clarity fronts), I have a similarly sized stone and finger and I don't think things start looking BIG on my hand until about 2 ct. Which is not in the cards at all right now, as I have a non-upgradeable stone and we stretched enough for the original rings purchase...

But one thing that makes a big difference is having some bling in the band. I love the three stone idea for you for this reason. You could maybe even ask Brian about constructing a setting with a little room to grow in the center stone region, though this might be a bad idea for reasons of aesthetics and/or structure. My favorite 3-stones involve pear sides on a round center, as the shape really helps differentiate the stones and its great for finger coverage and makes use of the lovely pear shape. I don't know that it would be as useful for your purposes, though I suppose you could make some lovely little drop pear earrings out of the sides eventually.

Don't get a halo until you have tried one on that you love/like enough that you can tell what makes it work for you. I loved all kinds of pave/micropave in pics on ps, but many of them I didn't like as well when I went to try them on. But halo would also do wonders on the size enhancement front.

Good luck, incessant upgrader!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank cara. You are probably right. I just keep thinking that if I spend money on a setting, it should be for a bigger diamond! LOL! Stupid I know.

Where are photos of your rings? Have you ever posted them?

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know how I missed this thread this weekend! I read *almost* all 5 pages.
6.gif

Crap. I just typed out some brilliant advice only to realize that it doesn''t seem to jive with what you really want. So I guess I''ll just ditto Phoenix.
39.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lurchie My friend, since I have no idea what I really want, I would love to hear your 2c!
4.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 1:13:15 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Thank cara. You are probably right. I just keep thinking that if I spend money on a setting, it should be for a bigger diamond! LOL! Stupid I know.

Where are photos of your rings? Have you ever posted them?
Well I just think you can get more bling for your buck with some sidestones or pave in the setting. Obviously if you like the look and aren't *wedded* to the solitaire idea.
Then if you have a blingy ring you are reasonably happy with, you can take your sweet time saving up for a more substantial investment into your center stone. For some people the incremental upgrades work mentally, but you seem itching for something more and at the same time wanting to be done with the upgrade piecemeal approach, at least for awhile. I don't think that a 1.6 ct X-prong is quite going to do it for you as a forever stone. And I think you want reasonably high color and clarity, so to save all those pennies to get the stone you really want will take awhile. I think a substantial three-stone will help ALOT on the bling-factor.

Posting my rings has been on my to-do list for awhile, no they're not up. Maybe maybe soon...

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 1:40:16 PM
Lurchie My friend, since I have no idea what I really want, I would love to hear your 2c!
4.gif
Oh you are too kind!

3-stone Grace. I'm thinking someone is going to think of it soon so it may as well be you! (Or me, but I'm happy to give you credit if you fork over the moula).
9.gif
I've recently been pondering what "bothers" me about the classic 3-stone setting and when I tweak it in my head it looks just like I would imagine a 3-stone Grace would - more delicate basket and of course the swoopy prongs!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Totally missed this thread until yesterday.

I am glad you decided not to purchase a diamond you cannot upgrade, I don''t think you are ready for that.

You were so happy with how white your G was. I think you could go to an H, butI am not sure about a J. The X-prong will show off enough of the profile in the size you are considering that tint might be a factor. It seems like me and you have similar taste, and I start to notice yellow at I.

I like the idea someone put up before, get the 3 stone, but get side stones that can be upgraded as well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 5:04:07 PM
Author: Lurchie

Date: 3/15/2010 1:40:16 PM
4.gif
Oh you are too kind!

3-stone Grace. I''m thinking someone is going to think of it soon so it may as well be you! (Or me, but I''m happy to give you credit if you fork over the moula).
9.gif
I''ve recently been pondering what ''bothers'' me about the classic 3-stone setting and when I tweak it in my head it looks just like I would imagine a 3-stone Grace would - more delicate basket and of course the swoopy prongs!
Great minds
2.gif

Although I am fairly certain I want a bigger solitaire I have not closed the door on a three stone...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 5:23:31 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Totally missed this thread until yesterday.

I am glad you decided not to purchase a diamond you cannot upgrade, I don''t think you are ready for that.

You were so happy with how white your G was. I think you could go to an H, butI am not sure about a J. The X-prong will show off enough of the profile in the size you are considering that tint might be a factor. It seems like me and you have similar taste, and I start to notice yellow at I.

I like the idea someone put up before, get the 3 stone, but get side stones that can be upgraded as well.
Yes, I think we are similar in our diamonds taste, although I do like a chunkier setting than I think you like!
4.gif
In my looking, it seemed that I color was also for me where the tint became noticable, but even an H seems somehow less *crisp* than a G. But it probably depends a little on the H in question.

CBL

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This is my favorite thread in a long time. Dreamer, I think your enviable conundrum is getting us all to think about what WE ultimately want, and that is fun for us, so thank you!

That said, I personally am not a fan of the waiting idea. You want a change and I want you to have a change because I want to see pictures of what I''m sure will be MY dream ring! Vacation schmacation. Savings schmavings. Patience is not my strong suit, clearly, and I say if you''ve got the itch and you''ve got the stick, scratch away.

You keep coming back to something really practical but that I think would be totally stunning...1.5ish (or a bit bigger?) in an x prong. I cannot upgrade so I tend to always think about setting changes. But if I COULD upgrade, a lovely 1.5 H&A in a simple setting would be classic and just divine and I cannot imagine you (or I!!!) would ever regret that decision. And you could always upgrade again if necessary.

I like Phoenix''s thinking here. But no matter what you choose I am excited to see the final product because you have great taste!!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 12:30:51 AM
Author: Phoenix
Dreamer,

I am going back and forth on my so-called advice here, but I totally get your not being able to make up your mind. I know exactly how you feel!
4.gif

There''s another thread in RT whereby the OP asks he should upgrade his wife''s diamond to a larger stone or buy her a fancy setting instead. Even though most PS''ers say to go for the halo (which may be what the wife wants), it got me thinking about *yours*. I now *feel* that you''re really a solitaire girl at heart and you won''t rest easy until you get a larger solitaire that your heart desires.

OK, here goes: I was looking at this stone: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040381680019

Oh, before you start running away after having seen the pricetag on that beauty, hear me out!
2.gif
1.gif

- I reckon you could ask Brian and Lesley to source you a 1.5ct-ish H Si1 (since that combination seems to be most acceptable to you/ what you''re willing to go down to) for about $10k-$11k. I notice that the price difference between VS2 and Si1 in an H of that size or slightly larger is about $2k, so $1k to $2k off the stone in the link above is not unreasonable to bring it down one clarity grade.

- You talked in another thread abt a 1.5ct stone, saying that you''d notice the size increase from 1.2ct and I absolutely agree that you would.

- The 3-stone setting that you''re considering would set you back $1,275. Add another two side stones of G colour (to match yr current centre stone) of approx 0.30-0.40ct each would set you back another $1,000 (see: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040399040027). So in total you''d have to spend approximately $2,300 (prob $2,400 once you add insurance and shipping charges). Then, in the future, if you upgrade that 3-stone ring to a larger solitaire (even assuming the sidestones are upgradable), you''d have ''lost'' the money on the 3-stone setting as well as on insurance and shipping (sure, you could reuse the setting for a coloured stone ring, but essentially it''d be lost as far as your diamond project is concerned/ or put it another way, it''d be gone from your diamond budget).

- If you took that $2,400, let''s say, and saved up another $2,500-2,600 for a while, you could totally get a 1.50ct H Si1 stone (assuming of course prices don''t rocket within now and that time, whenever that might be). I hope you don''t mind I kind of remember how much your current stone cost.

And VOILA!! You''d then have the colour, clarity and size that would satisfy you...at least for another few years, I reckon (hope?!
2.gif
3.gif
1.gif
).

Oh oh..you might even be able to modify your current setting to that of the new solitaire...perhaps just changing the head (?) and not have to spend more money on a bunch of settings that you may or may not reuse (you did say somewhere that you only wear one ring at a time).l
1.gif

well said Phoenix,

You beautifully laid out the case and articulated what I was trying to say in an earlier post.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have an upgradeable diamond and I''m just fine with it! It''ll be good for you to have no exit for the foreseeable future. Can''t wait to see what you get!
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read all the posts, but were I in your shoes, I would go for the larger solitaire. You will most likely eventually upgrade to a larger solitaire in the future, so why spend money on a setting only to have to change later when you upgrade to a bigger diamond.

I agree with Phoenix, if you can swing that diamond she posted from BGD, I would got for that, set it in your current setting with a head modification, then in a few years, or less, get the setting of your dreams.

I finally have a diamond that I am 100% thrilled about and had it set in a temporary forever setting. I will eventually get the setting of my dreams, once I actually figure out what that it, something with either split prongs or graduated diamonds and maybe a halo, but I want to take my time and decide who should make it and exactly how it will be made.

I think once you have the diamond, then you can really pick the permanent setting.

I also understand about hitting the "cap" for the maximum you want to spend on a diamond. I totally get that. For some reason, I feel the same way.
Anyway, good luck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 9:29:51 PM
Author: CBL
This is my favorite thread in a long time. Dreamer, I think your enviable conundrum is getting us all to think about what WE ultimately want, and that is fun for us, so thank you!

That said, I personally am not a fan of the waiting idea. You want a change and I want you to have a change because I want to see pictures of what I''m sure will be MY dream ring! Vacation schmacation. Savings schmavings. Patience is not my strong suit, clearly, and I say if you''ve got the itch and you''ve got the stick, scratch away.

You keep coming back to something really practical but that I think would be totally stunning...1.5ish (or a bit bigger?) in an x prong. I cannot upgrade so I tend to always think about setting changes. But if I COULD upgrade, a lovely 1.5 H&A in a simple setting would be classic and just divine and I cannot imagine you (or I!!!) would ever regret that decision. And you could always upgrade again if necessary.

I like Phoenix''s thinking here. But no matter what you choose I am excited to see the final product because you have great taste!!
Well that is a very nice way of regarding my posts! I suspect not everyone is as charitable
2.gif

I went out trying on rings today and it was very clear to me that a 1.75ct diamond is my dream ideal perfect size. But it is also very clear to me that I want at least H color. So I will need to save for a few years before making that leap.

So right now I am going to upgrade clarity, and maybe a little size
2.gif
, and I am going to focus my attention on getting a setting I love and adore! I think it will make all the difference in the world to how I feel about my ring. I want something a little unique and special, a little quirky, like me
4.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 10:23:54 PM
Author: Gleam
I don''t have an upgradeable diamond and I''m just fine with it! It''ll be good for you to have no exit for the foreseeable future. Can''t wait to see what you get!
2.gif
You don''t need to upgrade your diamond! It is a great size, color, and everything!
1.gif

I am thinking a nicer setting will give me the "no exit" I need but also leaves the door open for another upgrade in the future.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 10:58:24 PM
Author: butterfly 17
I haven''t read all the posts, but were I in your shoes, I would go for the larger solitaire. You will most likely eventually upgrade to a larger solitaire in the future, so why spend money on a setting only to have to change later when you upgrade to a bigger diamond.

I agree with Phoenix, if you can swing that diamond she posted from BGD, I would got for that, set it in your current setting with a head modification, then in a few years, or less, get the setting of your dreams.

I finally have a diamond that I am 100% thrilled about and had it set in a temporary forever setting. I will eventually get the setting of my dreams, once I actually figure out what that it, something with either split prongs or graduated diamonds and maybe a halo, but I want to take my time and decide who should make it and exactly how it will be made.

I think once you have the diamond, then you can really pick the permanent setting.

I also understand about hitting the ''cap'' for the maximum you want to spend on a diamond. I totally get that. For some reason, I feel the same way.
Anyway, good luck!
You and the others have convinced me. No three stone for me!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 10:59:35 PM
Date: 3/15/2010 9:29:51 PM

Author: CBL

Well that is a very nice way of regarding my posts! I suspect not everyone is as charitable
2.gif

I went out trying on rings today and it was very clear to me that a 1.75ct diamond is my dream ideal perfect size. But it is also very clear to me that I want at least H color. So I will need to save for a few years before making that leap.

So right now I am going to upgrade clarity, and maybe a little size
2.gif
, and I am going to focus my attention on getting a setting I love and adore! I think it will make all the difference in the world to how I feel about my ring. I want something a little unique and special, a little quirky, like me
4.gif

Yay!! This sounds very rational (well, PS-style rational) and I am so glad you are not compromising on color
36.gif

I can''t wait to see what you pick for a setting.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I'm so confused
33.gif
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results