shape
carat
color
clarity

I am contemplating something drastic...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
This is what my husband keeps saying too We are both professionals and will undoubtedly make more as the years go by.

Be careful about assuming that. You're looking at historical data, and the new economic reality is that China and India and Pakistan and other places are growing, and USA is losing it's #1 status. Medicine is becoming socialized. Teachers are being laid off. and public schools are being closed and consolidated. Colleges will wither if nobody has money to pay, and many have already seen up to 1/3 less enrollment for Fall 2010. Not to mention that if your employer merges or goes bankrupt, your jobs, whatever they are, may disappear completely. Heck, the building you worked in for 20 years may even be razed after a merger or buyout, to save paying taxes on it. There has been CONSTANT downward pressure on wages since 2001. In this last depression that USA gov't still persists on calling recession, the people who lost jobs and got new ones are TYPICALLY having to take a 25% pay cut. The reality is, lots of people are downwardly mobile but just don't know it yet.

The more photos I see on PS, the more I've come to believe that a plain, traditional solitaire is not that flattering on most women's hands. It's tough to get the right balance between stone size and shape, width of the band, length-width of the finger, etc. For me, wearing a solitaire just intensified DSS. I mean, they are a classic option, and you can't really go wrong with them, but for me, unless you're a hand model, they look sort of meh. But consider the source -- I wear a large halo!

A superbly cut solitaire can hold its own, I think. I love halos, thorough. With solitaires, I think many people choose the wrong mounting. They make their center diamond look smaller, not larger, by overpowering it with a huge heavy or wide shank mounting or otherwise distracting shank that says "look at me, not the diamond." There's a way to make a big bulky shank work, say the (men's) tension (compression) settings where the diameter of the stone is well matched to the width of the band. But for women's solitaires, putting too much heavy metal prong around the diamond is bad. In fact, I have never liked a setting like the trellis or the X prong. Sorry, but was hate at first site, lol. They are really totally unappealing to me. I prefer a knife edge Tiffany type 6 prong. A 2mm tapered knife edge shank and the right 6 prong head will flatter most diamonds.

Knox Diamonds is apparently no longer on this board. But they have some of the most appealing solitaire mountings that I have ever seen.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
NO. No. No. No.

Dreamer, you are so much like me on your ring! Once you think "This is IT. I''m done after this change for a while/forever." Ideas start to creep back in and take over! Don''t do anything to your ring. Just keep it for a few weeks or months and during that time, see if one ring is consistant with what you want. I guarantee that if you change your diamond to something that isn''t upgradable nor G color or higher and ideal H&A, you will change your mind at some point and regret not being able upgrade your diamond.

I totally agree about the mental financial cap and wanting to spend money on other things. I had a hankering for a halo a few deays back because I have some fun money to burn and saw a halo setting to.die.for. I decided to give myself 7 days to really think it over. By the next day I was so over wanting a halo and back to loving my setting even more! Honestly, the thought of trading my setting in to Jared''s to upgrade it or sell it on eBay made me sad. That right there showed it wasn''t the right change for me no matter how gorgeous halo settings are (but never say never
2.gif
). But I''m now more of the mind set of "ugh, enough with the rings already! Go buy that new sofa you want! Start looking at flights for the summer vacay!" lol

Slow down, it was just a week ago that you were going back and forth between a halo or a three stone and you then thought that a three stone was IT. You just got your upgrade a month ago. I would enjoy your gorgeous new dreamer band and your new diamond in it''s beautiful solitaire setting!

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Well, I have to differ, please don''t stone me.

Buying a diamond is an emotional decision and one that makes us happy (that is putting a ring on a woman''s finger). Even though you could not upgrade the stone in the future, it can still be sold, OK, at a loss, but you may not want to ever sell it, and this may be the one.

Why not put that new smile on your face and re-kindle that love and affection between you and him, because it is now a joint project.

Just because you cannot upgrade it at the vendor you bought it, is not the end of the world.

Have you ever listed the the song from Daughtry? It is called "What about Now", yeah, what about now? what about today?

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I am one of the few who thinks it''s a great idea...

This is what I would do. Get the larger diamond and continute to use your current solitaire and then turn it into a 3 stone ring in a few years for a large blingtastic look.

My e-ring diamond is currently 7mm. I tried on a 7.5mm stone and it looked much larger than my 7mm diamond. It is a large jump in size to me. If you go the 3 stone look down the road it will look very substantial.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer,

You mentioned there were some options to go to an upgradable J over 1.5. Any further thoughts on that option? J is a gorgeous color.

I''d put the money into moving the stone into the size range you want, rather than setting at this point. You can always play around with settings, 3 stone, halo, solitaire once you have the stone- If your ultimate love is the 2 carat 8mm range, I''d make moves towards that end.

I can say from my own experience, the hankering for a certain carat look and mm. range simply does not go away.

I do wish I''d known about ps earlier, I would have halo''d my original stone, and I think that would have made me far happier for years until I was in the position to go for the big upgrade. My original stone is a J, I adored that color, but my big issue was that I loved a larger mm range.

I also find myself going to Grace''s antique stone webpage very often, those antique cuts are amazing, I would have totally considered one of those.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 3:05:51 AM
Author: softly softly
Oh and I also feel your pain about the 6.30 wake up call. My 5 year old has done that pretty much all his life, but I can never bring myself to go to bed early as night time is the only ''me'' time I get on a regular basis.
Why do they wake so early? He goes to bed at 6:30 - 7pm, and although we have tried pushing his bedtime later is just makes him wake earlier
20.gif
But I am and always have been a night owl. And like you, that time to myself at night is Bliss! Are you a SAHM or do you work outside the home?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 12:22:51 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 3/12/2010 11:54:45 PM
Author:dreamer_d
The catch? It would be a non-H&A and thus non-upgradeable
23.gif
Scary as that it, it also seems liberating to me to no longer have the option of upgrading. That would be my forever diamond! Resets in the future, maybe different diamonds, but this project would be done.

What do you all think? Would this be crazy?
no more upgrades??
slap4.gif
you''ll be bann from PS.
Only you get banned from PS Danging Fire
11.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 2:20:29 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
This statement makes me say: wait until you find something you can upgrade. Forever is a loooooonnnnng time, and you''ve already seen how easy it is to swap stones- I think it''s hard to forget that, y''know? If you could see yourself getting something 2 ct-ish *in addition* to the new 1.60 (presumably much later, lol) then maybe. Possibly. But, though a 1.60 is nothing to sneeze at for sure, it''s not a 2 ct. And man, it''s ridiculous how much diamonds shrink!

I''d say the size just isn''t that much larger for losing the upgrade possiblity. And without ideal cut... you might miss that a lot too, down the line, after living with it.
A portent of doom if I ever heard one, especially given your boulder!
30.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 9:40:29 AM
Author: HVVS
A 2mm tapered knife edge shank and the right 6 prong head will flatter most diamonds.

Agreed, HVVS, that setting will flatter most diamonds -- but not most hands.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 3:47:10 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
You''ve had so many ideas for upgrading or otherwise changing your ring. I worry that which ever one you pick, you''ll hanker after a different option. Sorry, not trying to sound rude, but there''s an undefined itch there and until you figure out exactly what it is, you can''t scratch it.

Can I suggest you do nothing? At ALL. Wait, and do this next year. 12 months from now. In the meantime, everytime you crave a certain look, make a note of it. At the end of the year, look over the notes and see what you''ve wanted most often.

I did that a while back and what I discovered was that I didn''t really want to change anything, I just wanted more rings. So the RHR collecting began.
23.gif
tee hee... I wondered when someone would ask me about the void I am filling with this upgrade thing
3.gif
It is a hobby, I like thinking about different options. In the end I only own one diamond, this one, and I prefer to put all my funds into a single piece rather than many. I don''t wear a lot of jewelry, see? No earings, necklaces, or RHRs for me. Just the one finger.

But I definitely see your point. But doing nothing at all would be so boring!
41.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
dreamer: regarding your dream setting I guess I was assuming you has changed your mind to the vatche X prong /Lucida. When I upgraded I went from a micropave showpiece to a minimalist modified solitaire. Its much more my style so I can relate. I love your current ring by the way. The stone is stunning.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 4:51:18 AM
Author: yssie
[snip]

On the other hand (and I''m sure I''ll regret saying this later) - at some point I need to let myself say enough is enough, and having no upgrade policy - well, would be a bit of a relief! ''course, then you just have to start over with something else
11.gif
Ten, twenty years from now.. who knows? Perhaps your situation will be such that there won''t be much of a difference between say a 25k brand new investment ROCK and a 15k upgrade, KWIM?
This has been my thinking when I have been contemplating this. Lke selling all your TVs or getting rid of the junk food in your house, not having the option is one good way to shut ''er down.

But then if it would just mean taking on another project, what was the point?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 7:15:49 AM
Author: MissGotRocks
[snip]

I think you are trying to make a big change on a little money and unfortunately, that usually doesn''t work. Just try saving as much as you can in your diamond fund and keep thinking ''what about this and what about that''. It will give you time to decide if you truly want the three stone look or would rather have a larger stone. Going back up to an I or J may very well not work for you although it does seem like a good compromise between a G and a K. You just don''t want to feel ''stuck'' with it if it isn''t!

True! Diamonds are a strange hobby for an essentially cheapo woman like myself. And although I am very good at delayed gratification in my professional life, in my hobbies and private life not so much. It just seems like it will take one million years to save enough money for a big upgrade

39.gif
But you are probably right.

Susimoo What size are you hoping to go to? What is your current ring?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is what my husband keeps saying too We are both professionals and will undoubtedly make more as the years go by.

Be careful about assuming that. You''re looking at historical data, and the new economic reality is that China and India and Pakistan and other places are growing, and USA is losing it''s #1 status. Medicine is becoming socialized. Teachers are being laid off. and public schools are being closed and consolidated. Colleges will wither if nobody has money to pay, and many have already seen up to 1/3 less enrollment for Fall 2010. Not to mention that if your employer merges or goes bankrupt, your jobs, whatever they are, may disappear completely. Heck, the building you worked in for 20 years may even be razed after a merger or buyout, to save paying taxes on it. There has been CONSTANT downward pressure on wages since 2001. In this last depression that USA gov''t still persists on calling recession, the people who lost jobs and got new ones are TYPICALLY having to take a 25% pay cut. The reality is, lots of people are downwardly mobile but just don''t know it yet.
You''re a ray of sunshine today HVVS!
2.gif
But I of course see your point. For what its worth, I am a tenure track professor at a major canadian University, and so probably more immune than most (enrollment is acutally up right now), but there are no guarantees in life. Doesn''t that mean I should stike now while the iron is hot?
4.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t.

I''d stick with the three stone. You''ll get much more finger coverage from a three-stone than you will from a 1.60 ct solitaire, and you can stay at G color (or higher) for all three stones. If you still want to trade in the center stone in the future, you could get a custom sapphire cut for the center and have a beautiful RHR.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:53:48 AM
Author: E B
I wouldn''t.

I''d stick with the three stone. You''ll get much more finger coverage from a three-stone than you will from a 1.60 ct solitaire, and you can stay at G color (or higher) for all three stones. If you still want to trade in the center stone in the future, you could get a custom sapphire cut for the center and have a beautiful RHR.
Or earrings
4.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feb "Put down the wallet and walk away from the diamonds!"
9.gif
I always wait before making a leap... I just like to think about it and talk about it endlessly on PS. Maybe I do need more than one ring? That seems so extravagant.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2010 10:51:17 AM
Author: dreamer_d

Be careful about assuming that. You''re looking at historical data, and the new economic reality is that China and India and Pakistan and other places are growing, and USA is losing it''s #1 status. Medicine is becoming socialized. Teachers are being laid off. and public schools are being closed and consolidated. Colleges will wither if nobody has money to pay, and many have already seen up to 1/3 less enrollment for Fall 2010. Not to mention that if your employer merges or goes bankrupt, your jobs, whatever they are, may disappear completely. Heck, the building you worked in for 20 years may even be razed after a merger or buyout, to save paying taxes on it. There has been CONSTANT downward pressure on wages since 2001. In this last depression that USA gov''t still persists on calling recession, the people who lost jobs and got new ones are TYPICALLY having to take a 25% pay cut. The reality is, lots of people are downwardly mobile but just don''t know it yet.
2.gif
But I of course see your point. For what its worth, I am a tenure track professor at a major canadian University, and so probably more immune than most (enrollment is acutally up right now), but there are no guarantees in life. Doesn''t that mean I should stike now while the iron is hot?
4.gif
HI:

I dunno, new budget indicated cuts to education in all realms. I say step away from the computer and PS for a while; put your ring in your safe; then take it out and you''ll marvel at it''s quality and size, and love it all over again!

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:38:02 AM
Author: bgray
dreamer: regarding your dream setting I guess I was assuming you has changed your mind to the vatche X prong /Lucida. When I upgraded I went from a micropave showpiece to a minimalist modified solitaire. Its much more my style so I can relate. I love your current ring by the way. The stone is stunning.
hahaa... I have too many dream settings.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bosie and vanderaf Thank you for enabling me! I know my hubby just likes me having bling on the finger, he thinks it makes him look generous and fancy
3.gif
4.gif
12.gif
Sp his motives are purely selfish.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:06:51 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 3/13/2010 10:51:17 AM
Author: dreamer_d

2.gif
4.gif
HI:

I dunno, new budget indicated cuts to education in all realms. I say step away from the computer and PS for a while; put your ring in your safe; then take it out and you''ll marvel at it''s quality and size, and love it all over again!

cheers--Sharon
Cuts, yes. But it has resulted in hiring freezes mostly. But of course, there are no guarantees pre-tenure.

I think putting the ring away could work and refocussing on something else. But I suppose that means it is not a good hobby? Maybe it is not. I should take up gardening.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 10:08:28 AM
Author: gardengloves
Dreamer,

You mentioned there were some options to go to an upgradable J over 1.5. Any further thoughts on that option? J is a gorgeous color.

I''d put the money into moving the stone into the size range you want, rather than setting at this point. You can always play around with settings, 3 stone, halo, solitaire once you have the stone- If your ultimate love is the 2 carat 8mm range, I''d make moves towards that end.

I can say from my own experience, the hankering for a certain carat look and mm. range simply does not go away.

I do wish I''d known about ps earlier, I would have halo''d my original stone, and I think that would have made me far happier for years until I was in the position to go for the big upgrade. My original stone is a J, I adored that color, but my big issue was that I loved a larger mm range.

I also find myself going to Grace''s antique stone webpage very often, those antique cuts are amazing, I would have totally considered one of those.
Halo, three stone, lucinda style solitaire. Those are the options of debate!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, what started all this was that I plan to go up to an SI1 from my current SI2 diamond, since it just is not mind clean or eye clean enough for me. Well when I thought to myself that it would cost about $1500 to get that chance, and the diamond would be the same size, I started thinking that if I spent $2700 I could get over the 1.5ct mark! LOL. Increments are dangerous.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:11:16 AM

I think putting the ring away could work and refocussing on something else. But I suppose that means it is not a good hobby? Maybe it is not. I should take up gardening.

Ha-ha! If you think jewelry is an expensive hobby, well, gardening is even worse!
Tools...
Hardscape...
Perennials...
Annuals...
Compost... fertilizer .... mulch
Trees..
Shrubs..
Bulbs...
Guns to shoot rabbits...

At least with jewelry you can keep it to gems + setting!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:15:56 AM
Author: sarap333

Date: 3/13/2010 11:11:16 AM

Ha-ha! If you think jewelry is an expensive hobby, well, gardening is even worse!
Tools...
Hardscape...
Perennials...
Annuals...
Compost... fertilizer .... mulch
Trees..
Shrubs..
Bulbs...
Guns to shoot rabbits...

At least with jewelry you can keep it to gems + setting!
6.gif
hahaha

And see, this is what I think! No matter what hobby I choose, I will be spending money. Travel? Gardening? Home updates/decoration? Golfing, like my husband? Seeing movies every week?

jan can

Shiny_Rock
Never say never. You are too young for this. I''m retired and decided I wanted to upgrade after 20 years of marriage.

If there is something that bothers you slightly about your ring now, think how much having a stone that is absolutely forever would be. Your stone now may not be the perfect size but you can always act on changing it in the future.

I hadn''t realized you''re in Canada too. The dollar is excellent if you do decide to purchase from the US.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2010 11:37:36 AM
Author: jan can
Never say never. You are too young for this. I''m retired and decided I wanted to upgrade after 20 years of marriage.

If there is something that bothers you slightly about your ring now, think how much having a stone that is absolutely forever would be. Your stone now may not be the perfect size but you can always act on changing it in the future.

I hadn''t realized you''re in Canada too. The dollar is excellent if you do decide to purchase from the US.
Wow, I had not checked that in a while! Almost par!

reggie

Rough_Rock
dreamer_d – I think you should feel free to do whatever your little heart desires. Like others have said before … having your hubby on board is half the battle.

I do think it’s important to recognize that PS can be considered a drug that always has to be feed. This place enhances your own internal desires to have a different and “nicer” ring. Until you can recognize this and take your twelve-step program you will always have this itch to be scratched.

My vote is to make your ring/jewelry purchases in moderation. Enjoy what you have and add to your collection. Later in life you can look back at every purchase you have made and it will help you remember what was going on with your life at that moment in time. It’s definitely a long term view on how to look at something but I think it could be tremendously rewarding especially if you decide to hand down any of your little treasures to posterity.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi dreamer! I think we are about the same size, a 6-6.25. Right? I do not think my new 1.80 carat looks that big on my hand unfortunately. So I am not sure a 1.6 would make you happy forever. What I would do is halo your 1.2 carat! It will look massive!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m sooooo not weighing in on the do it/don''t debate. Strictly an informational post here.

Pearlman''s has a gorgeous Vatche platinum X prong for sale in its Previously Owned section.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results