shape
carat
color
clarity

Hurricane Irma - SE Florida, Carribean Islands, Carolinas, _possible Gulf Coast US

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very frightening. One thinks that big cities like Houston and Miami are invulnerable. So untrue. We are all fragile. Far more so than we realize. Hugs to all facing this...and my prayers, too.

Deb

Deb, parts of Miami floods for no reason at all, even if its not raining. Its been this way for a while. Already known that its sinking though the politicians have their heads up their asses and fingers in their ears about it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irma shifted left. There will be plenty of shifts here and I don't know if we'll know for sure until maybe tomorrow late day.
irma_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like they predict it to be a cat 3 by the time it gets to us. We do not live close enough to the beach to have to worry about storm surge.
Unfortunately, we do not have a generator :cry:. Our house is located within 2 miles of a water treatment plant and we always seem to get
our electricity back relatively quick (although it can never be quick enough:cheeky:). Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone. I hope the ones
that have been asked to leave do so. We have such a large elder population that wont (or maybe cant) leave. I hope they get to the shelters.:pray:
My main concern is wind and tornadoes that may get spun off. So hard to tell whats going on when you are in a boarded up house.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of flying to Orlando to be with my friend. There are flights there tomorrow night and Sat morn, coming back Weds/Thurs. She is from Germany, her parents are dead, and her husband effed off and left her with two little kids. He has evacuated with his girlfriend. Yes, I hope there is a special place in hell for him. The house is new and up to hurricane code; there is a shelter (masquerading as a closet) in the middle of the house. I hate to think of my sweet, gentle friend alone there with the kids, all scared. Orlando is not south Florida. It'll be fine, right? I asked her and the kids to fly over to me and offered to pay (she has lawyers' fees) but she said no, although when I spoke to her, she seemed overwhelmed, what with the divorce and now this. So I'm thinking of going there. It will weaken a little and she is quite northerly in Florida. Good idea/bad idea? The flights aren't canceled so it can't be that bad where she is. (Brevard.)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of flying to Orlando to be with my friend. There are flights there tomorrow night and Sat morn, coming back Weds/Thurs. She is from Germany, her parents are dead, and her husband effed off and left her with two little kids. He has evacuated with his girlfriend. Yes, I hope there is a special place in hell for him. The house is new and up to hurricane code; there is a shelter (masquerading as a closet) in the middle of the house. I hate to think of my sweet, gentle friend alone there with the kids, all scared. Orlando is not south Florida. It'll be fine, right? I asked her and the kids to fly over to me and offered to pay (she has lawyers' fees) but she said no, although when I spoke to her, she seemed overwhelmed, what with the divorce and now this. So I'm thinking of going there. It will weaken a little and she is quite northerly in Florida. Good idea/bad idea? The flights aren't canceled so it can't be that bad where she is. (Brevard.)

There's bad and then there's BAD. Brevard will get CAT 3 winds by the models but thats only if Irma sticks to the current script. Its already moved once, now instead of going up the coastline, its going up the middle of florida period.

Should be fast moving unlike slow poke Harvey. Does she have a generator? electric won't be guaranteed without that. If the airport gets any damage you could be here a while.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I don't think she has a generator - she didn't mention one when she said that she had boarded her house up and bought supplies. Cat 3 is not so bad...she said the last Cat 3 (Matthew?) was OK. House is built to withstand up to 150mph. I can't understand how the flights in and out are still planned, if it's so bad! Not a bad price either - approx $250.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts and prayers to everyone in the pathway of any of the hurricanes.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Planes are being loaded here (U.K.) with water, aid and troops, hopefully they'll be on their way soon to help those most affected.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I don't think she has a generator - she didn't mention one when she said that she had boarded her house up and bought supplies. Cat 3 is not so bad...she said the last Cat 3 (Matthew?) was OK. House is built to withstand up to 150mph. I can't understand how the flights in and out are still planned, if it's so bad! Not a bad price either - approx $250.

I'm not terribly surprised they're so cheap flying in.

Last night some cruise ships dropped off passengers early. These people now have to find a way home. Plus added to people at the airport trying to fly out of here. Yeah its ugly as hell.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok for those who are sticking it out, we have until maybe tonight to leave. Winds will be picking up tomorrow evening.

Gas Update
If you have a RaceTrac gas station in your area check for gas. they've been doing a great job with getting details about this to people. http://www.racetrac.com/gasshortage Best times for gas are super early AM, or super late PM.

Roads Update
I heard that 95 and 75 are absolutely horrible up north. The news showed some pictures and parts of it look more like a parking lot than a road. People are running out of gas on the road and that gas shortage is not helping.

Shelter Update

As much as I think Gov Scott is a dinkus, He's doing his job with this.
Last night he asked hotels to lift pet bans. Some will, some won't but we'll see what that means here.

For those with pets find out which shelter allows pets. Most will not feed your dog, so you will need to provide that. I'm still doing a few last minute things like putting away outdoor stuff like hoses. Not sure what I'll do with the garbage can but, I can always walk to Lowes to get another right?

Generator Update
For anyone looking at least in SoFL, check Lowes for generators. At least down here they delivered another pallet of them overnight and they're trying to hit as many stores as they can. Was told tomorrow will be the last shipment if they can actually get through. Home Depot has bupkis, but neither one has gas cans. They do have stabl though. If we run out of gas and the closest RaceTrac also is out of gas, the plan is syphon one of the tanks for some for the generator.

Airports Update
Here's what I've hard thus far:
Flights are hellish to get out of here from WPB, Ft Lauderdale, and Miami. Worst is Miami right now.
Flights are being canceled by the airlines now as its getting to that window of too dangerous.

JetBlue has my loyalty from here on out. The other airlines are sort of complying and pulling down prices but they're still gouging the hell out of people for tickets. @ssholes.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like they are predicting 105 mile winds in our area for the time being. That only puts it at a Cat 2. I'm feeling much relief.
{{tyty doing the happy dance}} It will still wreck havoc and be a mess for a while but nothing like a what a Cat 4 could/would do.

Jambalya - such a nice offer to come down and stay with your friend. Orlando should be in the Cat 2 (maybe 3) area so...should not be too bad.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 at look at NHC shows another jog to the left. That puts it (at least for me), just west of Lake Okeechobee. That of course changes all the time, we probably still won't know until later today/early tomorrow (or hell, landfall!)

American Airlines will stop all flights inbound Miami at 1:00EST today that means whatever is left is left. they will not be sticking around until tomorrow.

I have not yet heard about Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood as of yet. might be the same where American Airlines is concerned.
*edit*
Ft Lauderdale airport is closing at 7:45 EST. Miami will stay open until wind speeds reach 35MPH.

Last edited:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the flights were cheap with Spirit Airlines, including the ones leaving. Last night I checked the flights again in case my friend and her family wanted to come over to me, a destination many, many hundreds of miles away from any hurricane threat. It was still only $807 for three return flights including baggage, flying out from Orlando tonight and returning Friday next week. Just checked again and the flights are now full, but they were available really late. Just goes to show how reluctant people are to leave.

I'm not going to see her - she told me to stay put where I'm safe and that she won't be alone as the neighbours have invited her in.

Oh well, I offered twice to fly them all up here and also offered to go down. Guess there's not much else I can do. Hope they will be OK.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the flights were cheap with Spirit Airlines, including the ones leaving. Last night I checked the flights again in case my friend and her family wanted to come over to me, a destination many, many hundreds of miles away from any hurricane threat. It was still only $807 for three return flights including baggage, flying out from Orlando tonight and returning Friday next week. Just checked again and the flights are now full, but they were available really late. Just goes to show how reluctant people are to leave.

I'm not going to see her - she told me to stay put where I'm safe and that she won't be alone as the neighbours have invited her in.

Oh well, I offered twice to fly them all up here and also offered to go down. Guess there's not much else I can do. Hope they will be OK.

You're a good friend and frankly I'm glad you're not coming here, I want you to stay safe too! The airlines are very strange right now. I don't know when Orlando plans on closing, but no one should be subject themselves to Spirit...on purpose that is...:shock::lol-2:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad and stepmom live in Florida. They left at 2:00 AM this morning and are staying with his wife's family in GA. Many phone calls, tears and arguing to get them to agree to leave. I still have no idea if I've been told the truth. My dad didn't want me being so upset and I was in tears yesterday on the phone. I'm praying they actually went to Georgia. I am very grateful to Marriott Hotels. They found a hotel in Georgia in case staying with family wasn't going to be an option.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 @Arcadian and whoever may be in the path, I am praying for y'all. Please stay safe and let us know how you are.

Thank you CEG...I'll keep updating until we lose power and will resumes when it comes back up. I have taken some "before" pictures of our lawn
in order to post some before/after when its over.

Arcadian - this is a good jog for us...not so much for Tampa area though. :(2

Dh has about half the shutters up. Started getting some rain so he is taking a break. Looks like about 2/3 of our neighborhood has put them up.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tell her YOU INSIST she come to you and that you are buying her tickets (how nice of you)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you CEG...I'll keep updating until we lose power and will resumes when it comes back up. I have taken some "before" pictures of our lawn
in order to post some before/after when its over.

Arcadian - this is a good jog for us...not so much for Tampa area though. :(2

Dh has about half the shutters up. Started getting some rain so he is taking a break. Looks like about 2/3 of our neighborhood has put them up.

yeah, and I know several people who left the Miami area to Tampa... my goodness...

For those who haven't seen latest from NOAA. of course it could change as these things do. I'll continue to update until tomorrow or until we lose power.
154010_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png
Just be aware that the storm is well over 300 miles wide. Florida's peninsula is maybe 160 miles wide. So all of Florida will get it except the extreme west, but wobbles to the east, west, do indeed matter because of the eye.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Whitewave. Flights for three would have been only about $800 - NOTHING, in other words, when you consider what's at stake. She wouldn't come, though. I phoned her twice with the booking open at my fingertips ready to do it. I think she's concerned about work - can't lose her job now that she's on her own. Also, I guess she doesn't really believe she's in mortal danger, otherwise she'd come, right? The government officials have been very vocal about how bad this storm is...I'm not really sure why people who have the opportunity to get out don't do so, but I think many have stayed put! I expect it'll be all right. It's not due to the Orlando area until Monday morning and has already lost some power. Hopefully that will continue.

Myself, I would've got out and gone to a cheap hotel a week ago, using my vacation time. That's what savings are for, right? But yeah, I'm no thrill-seeker and I usually err on the side of caution. I'd have been outta there!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty, Arcadian, and whoever else is in the path....PLEASE stay safe!! Thinking of you xxxx

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 @Arcadian Thinking of you and praying for you. Are many people in your neighborhoods planning to stay? I have to tell you that you Floridians are one tough group of people. I would have been gone on Monday.

Everyone in the path of the hurricane please, please stay safe. There are so many of us here wishing you well and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fingers crossed--BIG time. Thinking and saying out loud----be safe!

kind regards--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am following some animal rescue groups. Anyone who needs help with animals chained/abandoned let me know and I will try to get you in touch with people who can help. They will also be doing rescue after for those trapped or loose.

Will also be watching for where and what they need in the weeks following. (I already have a contact in Texas who drives supplies as needed to the areas needing help)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dear Jambalaya, please take care. I lived thru a cat 1 hurricane in NC and I lost 70 trees, FEMA came for a year, I lost so much.. I am sincerely hoping for the best. Sending you, your friend and everyone in the path, DUST of LOVE. DUST of CARE. DUST of STRENGTH.

all my thoughts are with you and yours and everyone in the path before, now and later.

Kate

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 @Arcadian Thinking of you and praying for you. Are many people in your neighborhoods planning to stay? I have to tell you that you Floridians are one tough group of people. I would have been gone on Monday.

Everyone in the path of the hurricane please, please stay safe. There are so many of us here wishing you well and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

We live in a neighborhood of about 30 homes. Looks like a majority are staying (well, they are here right now and its a little late to leave). Lots of
people are out putting up hurricane shutters and doing last minute prep around the house. The elderly lady across the street did leave. Some of
our neighbors didnt even put up hurricane shutters (and are staying).

Our usual plan is to stay for Cat 3 or less. We left for the last Cat 4 hurricane that came close. My biggest fear is tornadoes that get spun off
from the hurricane.

I appreciate everyone's well wishes. :wavey: I truly love how the PS family supports each other when times get a little rough!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be scared for all of you until you post that you're ok. Fingers crossed that everyone comes through this safely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results