shape
carat
color
clarity

Hurricane Irma - SE Florida, Carribean Islands, Carolinas, _possible Gulf Coast US

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We may as well get started because from what I read on weather.com, parts of Florida will be in the path. They have not worked out the entire path though, but from what they're saying, its now a Cat 3. It will strengthen to a Cat 4 but who knows if that will be sustained and who knows what that hit will be like once its barrelled through the islands.

Those in Southeast Florida, the Keys, Miami on up to the Carolinas, its time to start getting prepared.
https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...icane-warning-leeward-islands-hurricane-watch
MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL11_swath_1280x720.jpg

I will update this thread as I get additional info.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we had a dry run and DH serviced our generators, so Harvey gave us a run through. @ceg doesn't need any more water though...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I agree. Texas doesn't need another ones of these. But unfortunately I might be right in the path of this thing if it hits SE Florida. Me driving inland will depend on what I see Wednesday a Cat 1 or 2, wouldn't be that terrible. Higher than that and we're out of here. If it were just me I would stay but I will not risk my dog's life. With early enough warning, driving to Missouri won't be an issue, and I should visit my parents anyway.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I agree. Texas doesn't need another ones of these. But unfortunately I might be right in the path of this thing if it hits SE Florida. Me driving inland will depend on what I see Wednesday a Cat 1 or 2, wouldn't be that terrible. Higher than that and we're out of here. If it were just me I would stay but I will not risk my dog's life. With early enough warning, driving to Missouri won't be an issue, and I should visit my parents anyway.

My "little brother" lives in Boynton Beach, so I the texted him this morning to make sure he is paying attention.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, he would probably go to Atlanta to his parents' house. Good luck!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really hope the best for the people in the immediate path of this storm. We are in New England so way too early to tell at this point whether it will hit here or not but my husband has reminded me that we are extremely overdue for a major hurricane here. My DH line of business includes storm response so that means he could get sent out even if it doesn't hit us to restore power in other areas. Here is hoping it spares the wrath of a storm like Harvey to all those Caribbean islands and anyone else in its path.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got to get the propane tank filled tomorrow and pick up some canned food. We stay for Cat 3 and lower. Too early to call anything in my area so just
waiting...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I guess there is no way to say NO THANK YOU (or enough) to Mother nature---so I'll send protection vibes ya'lls way, instead.

cheers--Sfharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bryan norcross FB page :
2 hrs ·
Fierce Cat 4 HURRICANE IRMA is, unfortunately, on track. The center of the storm is forecast to be south of the Keys on Saturday, and then begin a move to the north. It is impossible to know how strong the storm will be - it will depend on how it interacts with the Cuban landmass plus other factors. Therefore it is impossible to say exactly what path the core of the storm - the strongest winds - will take.

Hurricane Irma will be larger than the Peninsula of Florida, so on any of the most likely tracks, the entire width of the state will feel the storm. The parts near where the center goes will get the worst, however, and we won't know where that is until we get much closer to the event.

On the current schedule, winds will start picking up in South Florida Friday afternoon and evening, later on the southwest coast and in the Lower Keys. This means that preps will have to be completed Friday morning, and to be safe, think about being ready by Thursday night on the southeast coast.

People in Southeast Florida - Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach - should imagine Hurricane Wilma at a MINIMUM. Many things can change between now and Saturday, but the odds at this point favor at least that type of storm. Some areas may well get a drastically stronger storm than Wilma was when it hit Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and WPB, but we don't know where that might be. It's just too early.

There is the possibility of an extreme storm in the Keys an in some part of the Peninsula.

We have plenty of time to prepare. If the storm forecast continues to show a direct impact in Florida, evacuations will be ordered and there will be a frenzy in the stores. Take care of things now that everybody has to do - get gas, get supplies, get prescriptions, and get cash. You'll have time for other physical preps this week.

My previous post contains a checklist of the minimum supplies you need. Attached is a list from Brevard County Emergency Management with ADDITIONAL recommended supplies. (Though I recommend 7 days of food and water.)

Now is a good time to get in touch with your friends and neighbors to be sure everybody is paying attention and doing the right thing. Also, think about elderly and electricity-dependent people you know. They may need help this week if the storm tracks as it looks most likely.

More as we know more... but don't wait.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My "little brother" lives in Boynton Beach, so I the texted him this morning to make sure he is paying attention.

BB is a little further south of me so he should indeed be paying attention.

I don't generally go to walmart but they tend to have the most stuff. Yes people are starting prepping even now. They don't take it lightly. This evening I filled up my gas can. gas is already high here and will get even higher. I checked water reserves, and will get another 10 gallons if I can find it. I'm excellent on batteries.

Do you know if your brother is in a manditory evacuation zone?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think not because he said he's not leaving. He has a baby now though, so he needs to. I think it is just that attitude you get where you just don't have time for this. It is such an aggravation.

Do your laundry and keep up on it daily until the threat passes. When my power went out, it was laundry day so I had all the towels, etc that were dirty ready to wash. So that was the first thing I did when the lights came on.

Next threat I will make sure I am doing laundry daily.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave...one of your last post mentioned Brevard County. I live very close to there. We could be neighbors!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping Irma turns out to not be a danger to anyone and keeping everyone who is affected by any of these awful storms in my thoughts and prayers.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am on the South East Florida coast. We were hit pretty badly by Matthew in our area and some people are still recovering. I am really hoping it heads back out to sea. We are prepared but it's a waiting game to see if we need to evacuate the horses (which is always the hard part). Stay safe everyone.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am on the South East Florida coast. We were hit pretty badly by Matthew in our area and some people are still recovering. I am really hoping it heads back out to sea. We are prepared but it's a waiting game to see if we need to evacuate the horses (which is always the hard part). Stay safe everyone.

I will be going out in about an hour to get a few things so I don't have to rush around. I wish I didn't have all these meetings this week, but thats life. Because I don't want to wait too long, I'm going to make some decisions by tomorrow night. There's no way in hell I'm sticking around for a 5. I'm hopeful you can get your horses to a safe place.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh just an FYI, I'm tracking with NOAA
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

they tend to be the most accurate without all the hype.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will be going out in about an hour to get a few things so I don't have to rush around. I wish I didn't have all these meetings this week, but thats life. Because I don't want to wait too long, I'm going to make some decisions by tomorrow night. There's no way in hell I'm sticking around for a 5. I'm hopeful you can get your horses to a safe place.

I went and got water, pet food and essentials last week. We also purchased a new generator because we were without power for 6 days during Matthew. I have been tracking with the same source you have been. You are right....they are much more straightforward. Trying to decide where to move the horses when the path is still uncertain is a logistical nightmare. I am hoping tomorrow brings us a little clearer picture.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really hope the best for the people in the immediate path of this storm. We are in New England so way too early to tell at this point whether it will hit here or not but my husband has reminded me that we are extremely overdue for a major hurricane here. My DH line of business includes storm response so that means he could get sent out even if it doesn't hit us to restore power in other areas. Here is hoping it spares the wrath of a storm like Harvey to all those Caribbean islands and anyone else in its path.

Overdue? What about Irene or was it Sandy? VT got hammered. I think it was mostly damage from all the rain, though.

I don't think we will get it up here. They say the projected path has shifted west.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overdue? What about Irene or was it Sandy? VT got hammered. I think it was mostly damage from all the rain, though.

I don't think we will get it up here. They say the projected path has shifted west.

Oh I need to clarify, he was talking specifically about Connecticut. Even though we have gotten snippets of hurricanes our state as a whole hasn't experienced a major hurricane in a long time.

ETA: The most devastating year for storms for us was 2011, we were hit with a freak snowstorm in October. So it was cold, no power (we have electric heat) and I had a four year old and a foster dog recovering from spay surgery. The DH was sent out on storm so he was gone, it was freakin miserable. I told him this time around with another kid in the mix and more pets to worry about we need a plan in place if he isn't going to be here.

Last edited:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If you are so inclined, pray for us. I think my screen name pretty much explains why. :(2
So far, we are directly in the path.
We already went through this in 2004. Really don't want to do it again. ::)
Gonna start prepping soon.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn-

The storm I remember best here in Connecticut (I am near you) was a snowstorm. We had no power for close to a week and therefore no heat (although we have gas heat). My daughter went to stay with my brother's family north of Hartford, but my father stayed here in the cold, he must have been at least 90, but strong as an ox, the entire week. I wimped out one day before the power came on because, of course, I didn't know the power was coming on and I couldn't take the cold anymore. After that we had a generator put in, and we have never had to use it in a storm! I bet that the storm I remember is the 2011 storm.

I remember hurricanes as a child, but in this area nor'easters tend to hit us harder. Global warming may change that.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are so inclined, pray for us. I think my screen name pretty much explains why. :(2
So far, we are directly in the path.

Will do, of course, iLander! Please stay on-line for as long as you can. I am so very sorry to hear this. Are you at least on high ground?

Hugs,
Deb

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Deb that is the exact storm I was talking about. I remember every morning seeing the fleet of tree and Eversource trucks driving on the highway. Our power was out for six days, if you were out for seven you got a credit on your bill, totally ridiculous IMO. What was concerning about that particular storm was the fact that there were still leaves on the trees which the snow would stick to and then put the tree at a greater chance of falling. The DH on his way to work was driving on the Merritt and there was a tree across the parkway so he had to drive back going the opposite direction of traffic:eek2:. The only hurricane I remember specifically was Gloria in the 80's when we lived in Hartford, the wind was so strong the trees were sideways!

ILander, you are in my thoughts and prayers, here is hoping you ride out the storm safely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results