shape
carat
color
clarity

Hurricane Irma - SE Florida, Carribean Islands, Carolinas, _possible Gulf Coast US

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending prayers and dust to you @iLander, @Arcadian and @elle_71125 I wish you were all leaving the Florida. Please, please stay safe. I have family in Florida and am so worried.

Spent the day putting up shutters. Did half, too old and too pooped to do more. Will have to do more tomorrow.
May be time to sell this place, if this happens again in a 5 years we will both be past our physical abilities to cope. We will probably have to start looking for somewhere on the mainland soon. sad :((
Lines at the pumps already. So tired.

No one needs this kind of excitement in their life @iLander

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Praying for all in Irma's path. Please stay safe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spent the day putting up shutters. Did half, too old and too pooped to do more. Will have to do more tomorrow.
May be time to sell this place, if this happens again in a 5 years we will both be past our physical abilities to cope. We will probably have to start looking for somewhere on the mainland soon. sad :((

iLander sending you bucket loads of good luck stay safe dust and big (((hugs))).

Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. Arcadian, elle_71125 ,tyty333, whitewave, ceg, HS4S_2 and everyone else who is affected. Big hugs and lots of PS dust being sent your way!:pray:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I feel for you ILander...putting up hurricane shutters is exhausting! Like to the bone exhausting. The way it works for us is if my DH goes through
all the effort to put the hurricane shutters up (ours are plywood that fit the windows so very heavy), then the hurricane wont hit around here. And I'm
sure the first time he decides to NOT put them up because he doesnt think the hurricane is coming our way it will turn and come ashore in our
neighborhood. :wall:

I hope you can get through the rest of the shutters today. I'm sure it will be some measure of relief to have them up.
We're probably a day or two away from putting anything up. Nothing like waiting til the last minute!:lol-2::eek2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No wisdom here. I'm thinking of those of you in Irma's path. Prayers will continue, as will dust.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 , I missed something. Will you be affected by this storm too?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have everyone in the path of this hurricane in my thoughts and prayers. I wake up some days lately and can't believe all that is going on in the country. So scary

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 , I missed something. Will you be affected by this storm too?

I am in the cone of possibility...east coast of Florida. Most models look like its coming in through the bottom of the state and headed up the state. In
that case, I think* it will be worn down some and not be as big of an issue to us but if it turns north sooner we could be in real trouble. We are in the watch
and wait mode (while doing prep). If its a cat 4/5 and headed towards us we leave. Cat 3 or below we stay.

I'm feeling for all those that are in the area where it comes on shore. So many people in Florida and up the coast are having to prepare because at this
point no one knows. sad :((

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Praying for all of you in Irma's path. We are getting a lot of folks here in Atlanta getting out of FL early. Please be safe!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy moly Irma is fierce! Prayers for all of you in Florida and southeastern coast.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They just closed schools in our county for Thursday and Friday...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any guesses where my husband is today? Ugh! He's hopefully leaving Miami tomorrow morning, I wish it was sooner. He says there's a mandatory evacuation now.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the cone of possibility...east coast of Florida. Most models look like its coming in through the bottom of the state and headed up the state. In
that case, I think* it will be worn down some and not be as big of an issue to us but if it turns north sooner we could be in real trouble. We are in the watch
and wait mode (while doing prep). If its a cat 4/5 and headed towards us we leave. Cat 3 or below we stay.

I'm feeling for all those that are in the area where it comes on shore. So many people in Florida and up the coast are having to prepare because at this
point no one knows. sad :((

According to NOAA you should really prep for this for sure. That of course is not a guarantee, just the likeliest scenario.

this is from NOAA
210044_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

GA and SC, prep up, it may be in your backyard by next week.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am desperately praying for everyone in the path. I really hope it calms down or just stops midway and returns to sea! This is going to be a rough year I am afraid. Please be safe everyone.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully you are doing ok @ceg
Prayers out going for everyone effected by these storms.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is indeed one hell of a hurricane season. 3 storms all at once. yowza...
two_atl_2d0.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our niece was getting married in Savannah, GA this weekend and we just got the message that their venue is closing so the wedding is cancelled! :cry2:

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The hurricane watch news is so terrifying--three now?? Events like these make me so heartbroken for those who stay put because they don't have the resources to go elsewhere or are foolhardy enough to stay behind until it's too late to change their minds. :((

Prayers for all of you in the southeast! Please take care.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katia is small though still strengthening and will end up hitting Mexico. My worry is Jose which is supposed to just go out to sea but again, its tailing Irma like a dog. Some of those islands hit by Irma will get some of Jose too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our niece was getting married in Savannah, GA this weekend and we just got the message that their venue is closing so the wedding is cancelled! :cry2:
thats terrible, I feel for your niece. There's discussion it could be a CAT 2 at worst in Georgia but I'm certainly hoping for less. Logistics for weddings can be totally nuts, so I'm hoping that her vendors will still honor their commitments at a later date.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping all of you are keeping safe, and that this terrible weather passes soon.

Mandatory evacuation of Miami at noon :???:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thats terrible, I feel for your niece. There's discussion it could be a CAT 2 at worst in Georgia but I'm certainly hoping for less. Logistics for weddings can be totally nuts, so I'm hoping that her vendors will still honor their commitments at a later date.

Yes, it's so sad. I really hope her vendors do credit her. Their honeymoon is in Hawaii, and I think they'll go on to that because I guess they had already arranged to take off work, etc. But a very bittersweet honeymoon. sad :((

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's so sad. I really hope her vendors do credit her. Their honeymoon is in Hawaii, and I think they'll go on to that because I guess they had already arranged to take off work, etc. But a very bittersweet honeymoon. sad :((

That is sad...I hope they go on their honeymoon and just pretend that it all went off ok! They can deal with it when they get back. No reason to
waste a good trip to Hawaii! I do feel for them though.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So most places around here are out of gas. The ones that aren't, they are rationing. Right off Northlake off the freeway; No more than 10 gallons. Cash only. They have not jacked the prices of the gas at least. its running 2.79/gallon.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you headed out Arcadian? I think we are waiting till it turns to make a decision. That wont give us much time to get out and I'm sure the
roads will be full. Hurricane shutters will start going on this evening and tomorrow morning. Gas here is $2.69. Car is full. Talked to 2 of my
neighbors. They are both staying.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping all of you are keeping safe, and that this terrible weather passes soon.

Mandatory evacuation of Miami at noon :???:

Very frightening. One thinks that big cities like Houston and Miami are invulnerable. So untrue. We are all fragile. Far more so than we realize. Hugs to all facing this...and my prayers, too.

Deb

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you headed out Arcadian? I think we are waiting till it turns to make a decision. That wont give us much time to get out and I'm sure the
roads will be full. Hurricane shutters will start going on this evening and tomorrow morning. Gas here is $2.69. Car is full. Talked to 2 of my
neighbors. They are both staying.

I'm going to stay. I had to weigh some pretty interesting pro's and cons, and I have to admit, I'm set up for a best case scenario.

I'm far enough west where I won't get storm surge. The freeway wall protects my neighborhood quite well from the winds. We were one of the few enclaves that had electricity immediately after Matthew.

I have a generator so loss of power won't be the worst in the world. It will still suck because I won't have access to everything, but I will survive that, I'll have a refrigerator, ac and a microwave. My biggest worry is my roof even though its new and up to current hurricane code. the house has been here since 1961 (CBS with new impact glass windows and doors)

In a weird way, I would feel bad about displacing someone that was in far worse situation than I and really needed a place to stay. Folks living directly on the coast are the ones in the worst danger. If Irma was a 5 coming up here, I would have been gone by last night...lol They're saying here it will likely be a 3. Thats doable.

But I'm also surrounded by stores here. Lots and lots of them have generators as does Target, Lowes, and Home depot (which are in biking distance)

I'll admit part of me doesn't want to stay though. I did get an invite that if I needed to, I can come to Tampa. Greyhound folks are the best!

If you leave, you might want to wait until night time because the roads are a bit crazy. (But you're north of me so you might actually be OK!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results