shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild: I'm looking for something around the 10mm range. I had a 7.88mm stone and returned it because unfortunately it was just too small.

haha I figured I wouldn't be able to find a blue-green spinel, which is why I haven't gone on a serious hunt for one. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

Any idea why the blue-green tourmaline rough is going sky-high right now? It figures that that's what I'm interested in. :wall:

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone with the wishlist, too. :D

Resonance.Of.Life: It's funny you mention that one because I've looked at it several times. My wedding set is a round stone so I'd really prefer to stay away from that cut. Plus, the ring this one will alternate with is a bunch of rounds as well. So I'd like color and a different cut with this project. Thank you for pointing it out though! It's a lovely stone.

DK: I cannot tell you how perfect that rough sounds! I contacted Jeff and unfortunately it's sold. :cry: The finished stones that you shared are exactly the color I'm looking for. Seriously. Exactly. :love: I appreciate your comments.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1409790482|3744382 said:
FrekeChild: I'm looking for something around the 10mm range. I had a 7.88mm stone and returned it because unfortunately it was just too small.

haha I figured I wouldn't be able to find a blue-green spinel, which is why I haven't gone on a serious hunt for one. Thank you for confirming my thoughts.

Any idea why the blue-green tourmaline rough is going sky-high right now? It figures that that's what I'm interested in. :wall:

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone with the wishlist, too. :D
Hilmar Bosch sells gemstone rough, and it looks like the blue-r greens are going for $35-50/ct in rough form. For the size stone you're interested in, you will probably need a 5-7ct stone to get to a 10mm round. With good yield being 30%, you're looking at a cutter needing to find rough that's 15-30cts.
Stone 14 on this plate (this is the largest tourmaline plate) is 23.77cts, for instance, and that's the largest piece, and who knows what color it'd end up (only lapidaries might hazard a guess!), and it's $951 for the rough:
http://www.africangemstones.co.za/plate7.htm

I first heard of the price increase from a lapidary here, but have since heard it from a friend with lots of contacts in the gemstone rough industry.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sparklies said:
BUT, I have finally decided that for this project I want more of a blue-green stone as opposed to a straight blue or straight green one. That's led me to tourmalines. If anyone knows of other blue-green options, please share.

There's always the old blue-green standby of Montana sapphires - check out the range on http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html. The advantage there is that many of them are precision cut by Andrew.

Oops... just read your size requirement.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prices of blue green tourmaline went sky high several years ago and 10 mm is a very large stone, which makes your search more of a challenge. Zircon is such a dense stone too that it makes it look small for its carat weight. ;( Many here on PS have been looking for that elusive blue green tourmaline and/or garnet without much success.

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild: Thank you for the explanation. I'd love to find a piece of rough and have it cut, but then again I know nothing of the process. And it scares me to not know how it'd play out - with color and clarity. Can anyone buy from that site or just vendors?

I'm willing to reduce the size some (as in a couple mm - not sure if that'd make any difference) if I could still find the color. I had planned on doing a simple setting to showcase the stone, but I could potentially do a mico halo of some sort if the stone were smaller.

Starzin: I'm definitely open to Montanas. I've eyed 420 and 422 from them for awhile. But just as you noticed it's the size I'm having a hard time with. Stupid sausage fingers. :wall:

Chrono: I know 10mm is a very large stone. :( I wish it didn't have to be that large. I really do. But anything else just gets lost on my large hands. Plus, admittedly, I think I'm used to thicker/larger/chunkier jewelry because of it. I figured my search would be a challenge. My personal challenge is being patient. Yes! I've noticed that about Zircon. I remember the first stone I ordered from Julia. I thought almost 5 carats would be great but it wasn't even 7.9mm. It's troubling to hear that many PSers have been looking for something similar without success. :think:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The risk with buying rough is that you are left holding the bag should anything go wrong:
1. Smaller stone due to having to cut around inclusions
2. Unexpected end result colour

Have you contacted Primagems to see what they have available?

Not saturated but the price reflect that too.
https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/220-carats-natural-tourmaline

Might show more blue in person, but it is still predominantly green.
https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/238-cts-merelani-mint-garnet-oval

If you don't mind a pear, which tends to give good finger coverage.
https://www.primagemsusa.com/content/mint-garnet-5

S

SparkliesLuver

I could live with a smaller stone (although not too small, like <5mm), but it's the color part that scares me the most. Mainly because there are many blue stones out there and some green ones. It's that mix I'm after. That said, I'll probably pass on the rough for this project...although it still fascinates and intrigues me.

I haven't yet. Maybe that's the vendor I've been missing! I'm open to pear, cushion, asscher and emerald. I'll contact them this morning. :) Thank you.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin: I'm definitely open to Montanas. I've eyed 420 and 422 from them for awhile. But just as you noticed it's the size I'm having a hard time with. Stupid sausage fingers. :wall:

I totally understand the finger vs size problem because I have the same issue :(sad

S

SparkliesLuver

I sympathize, Starzin. I really, truly do. I showed one of my close friends the stone from JuliaB and when she had it between her fingers it looked perfect. I think her fingers are at least 3 sizes smaller than mine. We both just sighed. :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: I know... I get the same feeling looking at all the lovely slim fingers here on PS!

So about 12 x 10 should do it eh?

S

SparkliesLuver

There are a lot of lovely slim fingers here on PS, you're right! At least some lucked out. ;-)

haha That'd more than do it! I'd be alright with something 9-10 x 7, even. Once I realized the JuliaB stone was too small, I became a bit sad. Then I realized color was more important, but deep down I'd still like to find something sizable (for my finger). :naughty: Especially since I don't have a time frame, I'm trying to remember that time is on my side.

S

SparkliesLuver

Resonance.Of.Life pointed out that one yesterday. Although it's very pretty, I think I have to pass because it's round. Unfortunately all I have are rounds, so I'd like something different. I've attached a picture of the ring that will alternate with my project ring. Rounds and more rounds. :) I wish I could scoop it up though. Wonder why no one else has. The color is there!

_21971.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Aaah... sorry. I've skipped a couple of posts on the last page but had a feeling as I hit Submit that you didn't want a round. Never mind - it's out there somewhere and it's good that you have time on your side.

It's also good that you are open to lots of other shapes. I'll keep looking :))

ETA: Meant to say I don't know why that tourmaline is still there either - it is gorgeous! By the way do you have a budget in mind for this elusive gem of yours?

S

SparkliesLuver

haha That's okay. No worries at all. Yes, the one time I'm finally not in a time crunch!

Thank you. :)

Hope she finds a new home for it soon. Right now it's +/- $2k for the stone.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I know it can be so frustrating when you are ready to buy but what you have in your mind just isn't leaping out from the seller's pages. Just breathe. And hold that colour in your mind. Nice budget for the stone also, makes it more do-able.

ETA: this any good? He does say blue though I see some green

Stone: Blue Zircon
Weight: 6.23 cts.
Clarity: VVS
Dimensions: 11.39 x 8.94 x 6.75mm
Design: Barion oval
Origin: Cambodia
Treatment: Heated
Cut by: John B.
Notes: This is a beautiful blue zircon. The color is vibrant and the tone is medium.

zircon.png

S

SparkliesLuver

haha It is. I appreciate your kind words. Thank you very much. I do need to remember to breathe during this process sometimes. I hope the budget proves to be enough when the time comes. Speaking of, I hope to hear from Eric (at Swala) today. Fingers crossed.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome. Keeping my fingers crossed for Swala then :))

Did you see my amendment above?

S

SparkliesLuver

I did not! I totally missed that. :doh:

Ovals aren't my favorite, but if the right color is there then I'd consider it. I'll be sure to check this one out some more. Thank you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about Swiss Blue Topaz? Might be too blue for you, but it's something you can likely find in a very large size, and when they are precision cut, they can be pretty awesome. This one is mine, and 8+cts, cut by Barry, and 10x12. I wear a size 6ish.

barry2.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Ooooo. That's pretty. How saturated and juicy! :lickout: That's a good point about topaz being precision cut. That size would be perfect. Just wondering if it might be too blue for this project; I haven't considered topaz. Hm. Deep down I'm a sucker for blue stones, though. You're not selling that one, are you? ;-)

Sorry for the stupid question, but what's the difference between Swiss and London blue topaz? I sense some research tonight. :read:

Starzin: I checked out the zircon and unfortunately the video was underwhelming. :| I appreciate the mention though!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, it's my push present/daughter's birthstone ring. It gives a lot of impact for the price, and larger rough is readily available, I believe. You should ask Barry at ACS what he has as far as rough goes.

http://www.acstones.com/default.asp

Swiss is a bright neon blue (Barry calls it Electric) and London is a darker blue with a little bit more green and gray in it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lon...=crwIVMPwFOb_igLT7YCwDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Swiss/Electric blue:
https://www.google.com/search?q=swi...niv&sa=X&ei=krwIVP_kHsKEjAKViYBw&ved=0CC4QsAQ

They are irradiated to get the color and topaz is plentiful, but they pack a lot of impact and come in large sizes, so it's just a thought.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah. As a fellow mother, I completely understand and respect that. If I had known, I wouldn't have even asked. :oops:

I'll definitely send him an email. Thank you. I appreciate you mentioning his name and the idea of topaz.

Hm. Maybe London blue would work. I like a lot of those images. I wouldn't normally consider buying from GemSelect, but that might be a possibility for such a stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1409859083|3744866 said:
Ah. As a fellow mother, I completely understand and respect that. If I had known, I wouldn't have even asked. :oops:

I'll definitely send him an email. Thank you. I appreciate you mentioning his name and the idea of topaz.

Hm. Maybe London blue would work. I like a lot of those images. I wouldn't normally consider buying from GemSelect, but that might be a possibility for such a stone.
It's ok. I haven't even posted it to PS, really, so I would never expect you to know that about it!

No problem. For Blue topaz, I would probably go to a precision cutter. I don't know who else might have the rough, but I think if you're interested in the idea, it's worth looking into! I think that cutting makes all of the difference!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1409758393|3744047 said:
BUT, I have finally decided that for this project I want more of a blue-green stone as opposed to a straight blue or straight green one. That's led me to tourmalines. If anyone knows of other blue-green options, please share.

Possibility? May need to ask for more photos, as it is described as "medium tone blue-green" http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9057

ETA: OOPS, looks like it sold as I was posting it. Oh well!

_21977.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm glad you noticed it too! I wanted to ask for more pictures but I was afraid if I did it'd be sold before receiving them. So I bought it. :Up_to_something: Just had a feeling about it. Plus it'll give me a better idea of size since it's what I've been after. :naughty:

Can't wait to receive it!

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild: thank you again for pointing me to Barry. He just posted an electric blue topaz that's very pretty. Reminds me of yours. If I saw any green in it whatsoever I would buy it but unfortunately I don't. I hope someone else gets it though because it's also reasonable. I'll keep that idea in the back of my mind.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, it's exactly the same color as mine. When I first started posting to PS, even his giant topazes were around $100, alas, those days are no more!

(Prices on EVERYTHING are going up up up. Sucks.)

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild said:
(Prices on EVERYTHING are going up up up. Sucks.)

I haven't been at this for very long and I've even seen prices increase. Crazy. My dream color-change sapphire went from "potentially affordable" to "no way!" over the past few years. So sad.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
Have you contacted Primagems to see what they have available?

I wanted to thank you again for mentioning them. I reached out and they do have some stones that might work. They just sent their lot to the Hong Kong show, but she said if I'd be willing to wait a couple weeks she thinks they probably have something.

So I'll see how the stone from Litnon checks out and then wait on Swala and Prima. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results