shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

DandT: Remember the green tourmaline you bought and returned? :love: I was hoping for something along that size but not quite as big. What size is your ring or middle finger?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely colour and it will make a beautiful ring. However, perhaps it won't be your ring. If you're disappointed with the size, return it instead of always looking at it and thinking "I wish it was bigger". Take a day or two but be sure - good luck with your deliberations because only you can decide this. There's no shame in being over the moon about the colour and cut and returning it because it's not the size you want. At least you now have a prototype - "I want this in a 10mm please" :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Starzin: Thank you very much for your kind words. You make several valid points. You're especially right in that only I can probably decide this. :think: If I do return it, I definitely have a prototype in mind going forward. :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I found your thread! And I am glad I did. The stone makes quite some impact because of the colour and it looks great on your beautiful hand. But if you are have doubts, you can better think about it carefully and perhaps return it.

I also have a large diamond solitaire, so every stone tends to look small :lol: . I love it in the setting it's in because it creates enough impact because of the color and added bling :naughty:

Perhaps you will like the size better with a little halo. Also, the stone will look bigger in a ring compared to flat on your finger. It's a mesmerizing color though!!!

S

SparkliesLuver

Update: Although I loved the cut and color of the blue zircon from JuliaB, I had to return it. It wasn't "the one." So for those who had their eye on it before, it should be up for sale again soon. :naughty:

My search continues... :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1407780544|3730298 said:
Update: Although I loved the cut and color of the blue zircon from JuliaB, I had to return it. It wasn't "the one." So for those who had their eye on it before, it should be up for sale again soon. :naughty:

Good decision to return it since you were not absolutely thrilled. What is the spread and shape you are looking for? Jeff Davies has some Zircons on his Pinterest site: http://www.pinterest.com/jefferydavies/zircon/

Good luck in your search :wavey:

_21267.jpg

_21268.jpg

_21269.jpg

_21270.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald cut from Gemfix:
4.40 cts and measures 10x7 mm

_21271.jpg

_21272.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1407788557|3730378 said:
SparkliesLuver|1407780544|3730298 said:

Good decision to return it since you were not absolutely thrilled. What is the spread and shape you are looking for? Jeff Davies has some Zircons on his Pinterest site: http://www.pinterest.com/jefferydavies/zircon/

Good luck in your search :wavey:

I was just coming here to suggest talking to Jeff. I just got mine from him and it is IN-CRED-I-BLE!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Apologies for not responding earlier, I'm not getting thread notifications for some reason and I haven't changed any settings :confused:

I'm pleased you came to the decision which was right for you - onward! and wow Jeff Davies has some nice zircons :love: Good luck in your search!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Smart to return it if it doesn't make your heart sing. Jeff's zircons are gorgeous! Hope something turns up for you soon.

--- Laurie

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always dreamt of having an emerald in a ballerina ring setting, and I really like this ring with a squarish emerald, very ornate and glamorous, kind of old fashion, yet it is pleasing to my eyes.

emerald-ballerina-cocktail-ring-hh287.jpg

Just need to find a way to switch out the centre stone so that I can have different stones such as emerald, aqua or blue zircon, pink sapphire or Rubellite tourmaline etc.., with just one ring setting, as it is not going to be cheap to make!

Having the stones cut to the same width and length is going to be a challenge too. :naughty:

DK :))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one from Roger Dery of Spectralgems:

_21283.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1407800871|3730499 said:
Apologies for not responding earlier, I'm not getting thread notifications for some reason and I haven't changed any settings :confused:

Starzin,
The PS Email notification server/system is down.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono
Thank you... I've just this minute seen Ella's thread (top of forum for those as blind as me) :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom: Thank you for following up! I appreciate that. :) I actually have been in touch with Jeff. :Up_to_something: I won't say yet which ones I'm considering but there are two that have caught my eye. I'm thinking about ordering both and seeing how they are in person since that's really the only way to tell. Ideally I'd like something around 10mm. I really like a well-cut asscher but I've always loved cushions, too. Oh, and emeralds are up there as well. My engagement ring is round so I definitely want to stay away from that. I haven't heard of Roger before but that cushion is gorgeous. Might have to reach out to him as well. :shifty:

athenaworth: I'm happy that you're so pleased with your purchase from him. Definitely good to hear!

Starzin: No apologies necessary. Honestly, I didn't think anyone would respond after my last post. Thank you again.

Laurie: I hope it does too! I will say I do have a feeling about some of Jeff's stones. :D

DK: Where do you live? We totally need to be neighbors and do that together. :naughty: haha I love how you think!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1407868612|3730978 said:
Acinom: Thank you for following up! I appreciate that. :) I actually have been in touch with Jeff. :Up_to_something: I won't say yet which ones I'm considering but there are two that have caught my eye. I'm thinking about ordering both and seeing how they are in person since that's really the only way to tell. Ideally I'd like something around 10mm. I really like a well-cut asscher but I've always loved cushions, too. Oh, and emeralds are up there as well. My engagement ring is round so I definitely want to stay away from that. I haven't heard of Roger before but that cushion is gorgeous. Might have to reach out to him as well. :shifty:

Yay, that's great news. I hope you find your dreamstone. Now or in the near future. Makes sense to order the stones you are interested in to view them with your own eyes. Please come back to share your experiences with the stone and the setting you will pick.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver,

You are funny!

I am across the pond in UK where jewellery is expensive, and have limited fund for extravagances.

I love convertible/interchangeable jewellery, such as double-clip brooches, tiaras that can be worn in different configurations, rings that can be worn as pendants etc... The pearl brooch that can be worn in 13 different ways is just pure genius and I was able to see it in person at an exhibition last year.

And yes, I have two pairs of earring jackets. :bigsmile:

My thinking is that, if I were spending that much money on a custom piece, I might as well spend a bit more so that it would be a convertable/interchangeable piece.

I have been thinking about modifications to the ballerina ring I posted, in that I would like the ring of baguette diamonds to be surrounded and protected by metal rather than being claw-set (I am not keen on claw setting after losing the centre stone in a ring lent to me by my mum), like this ring but without the breaks with small round diamonds:

jor04344-1-500x500.jpg

The centre stone will be bezel set with a female screw fitting underneath, so that a screw can be used to secure the basket in the setting (the screw can be accessed via a small screwdriver via a hole at the base of the shank). This way, I envisage the overall profile of the ring will be lower.

I wonder if VC would take on such a project. :naughty:

As for cutting the stones in the same dimensions, I have already broached the subject with Jeff White, and it appears to be doable. :naughty:

I shall continue to play the lottery, as I have many ideas for convertible/interchangeable jewellery that I would like to turn into reality one day.

S

SparkliesLuver

DK: Just speaking the truth. :D

I'm sure VC would take on such a project. How could he not?! It sounds like you have amazing ideas. I shall keep my fingers crossed that one day you win the lottery! That's probably me selfishly speaking as well since I'd love to see the pieces you come up with. :naughty:

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
SparkliesLuver|1407868612|3730978 said:

Yay, that's great news. I hope you find your dreamstone. Now or in the near future. Makes sense to order the stones you are interested in to view them with your own eyes. Please come back to share your experiences with the stone and the setting you will pick.

Thank you so much. I hope I do too. I spoke more with Jeff last night about the two stones and he really pointed me in the direction of one of them. So I think that's the one I'll order and go from there. More posts to come!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot wait to see which stone you have chosen. :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news from the Zircon department (or emerald or silky sapphire department perhaps)?
:wavey:

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, Acinom. Thanks for checking in! haha I see you've been following some of my posts. :oops: I feel I've been a bit scatter-brained, but it's because I love too many things. Consequently, I have a hard time deciding. :wall: BUT, I have finally decided that for this project I want more of a blue-green stone as opposed to a straight blue or straight green one. That's led me to tourmalines. If anyone knows of other blue-green options, please share.

I'm currently waiting on a vendor to be at one of his other locations so he can take more pictures of two stones I've been eyeing for about a month. He should be there by the end of the week, so I'm very anxious (to say the least).

I haven't completely given up on zircons, though. There is one from a vendor that does seem to have a bit of green (along with the blue), so I'd like to see it in person. However, DH isn't enthused about the price. It's within the overall budget, but it's almost three times more than a comparable stone from another reputable vendor. So I'm a little stuck. I can tell DH doesn't even want me to see it in person because I think he's scared I might fall in love with it. haha

I hope to have something to share within the next couple weeks though.

Note about DH: he thinks if we're going to spend over a certain amount, I should instead be looking at precious stones, like emeralds or rubies (both of which I do have an interest in later in life) instead of tourmaline or zircon. But I feel if I do that, the budget needs to be increased five fold in order to get a decent stone!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:
It's good to take some time to determine what you really want. Rubies will require a substantial budget raise, especially if you want a certain finger coverage. And an emerald is a stunning stone but quite expensive and very vulnerable, so it would not be suitable for everyday wear.

It would not hurt to also look at spinels: suitable for everyday wear and a friendlier price compared to sapphires, emeralds and rubies.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double post...

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
:lol:
It's good to take some time to determine what you really want. Rubies will require a substantial budget raise, especially if you want a certain finger coverage. And an emerald is a stunning stone but quite expensive and very vulnerable, so it would not be suitable for everyday wear.

It would not hurt to also look at spinels: suitable for everyday wear and a friendlier price compared to sapphires, emeralds and rubies.

I completely agree with what you've said, especially since I like finger coverage. :naughty: That's why I figured I'd try to learn as much as I can now (and see as many as possible) about emeralds and rubies so I can make an informed decision later in life when my budget hopefully increases.

Have you seen many blue-green spinels? I haven't found any. I'm not against them at all. In fact, I'd buy one if I could find that color with good saturation. :) Someday though, I want a red stone. It might end up being a spinel or it could be a garnet. Not sure yet. But red is definitely on my list. Every time I see Chrono's or pregcurious' avatar I stare at it for a minute. Does everyone else have a list too? :oops:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone wants emerald and ruby because they are well known but unfortunately, one needs a healthy budget for an untreated nice one or some other sacrifices need to be made. Emerald isn't suitable for everyday wear either without a lot of care/caution taken. Ruby is one of the most highly treated stone, yet the extent of these treatments are rarely fully disclosed.

I have not seen any blue-green spinels that wowed me. Most tend to be rather dark and grayish. I have seen some very nice turquoise coloured zircon though. :cheeky:

S

SparkliesLuver

I highly doubt I'll ever own a ruby or an emerald--because I have an idea of what my budget would need to be, and I don't realistically see that happening--but I like to dream and hope. :saint: Plus, those would only be occasional wear or strictly special occasion wear pieces anyway.

Yes, that's what I'm finding too! Dark and grey. It's disappointing. I don't mind blue-grey sapphires but not for this project. You've seen some nice turquoise zircon? Hm. Where am I not looking. You may have to point those out somehow. :Up_to_something: I did see Jerry's stone that you posted, but it's a bit too green. I really, really wanted his unique pear but he said he could have sold it 5 times over. :(

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What size are you looking for?

Blue-green spinels are basically unheard of. Spinels can come in almost every color, but the rarest are orange, green and colorless. And to find a strongly saturated one is, well....hen's teeth.

I'd probably stick to Zircon or Tourmaline. ETA: From what I understand, blue-green tourmaline rough is going sky-high at the moment, and is getting harder to find in larger sizes.

And you're not the only one with a wish-list!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff White had a piece of blue Indicolite Tourmaline rough that could yield a cut stone between 1.2ct to 2ct in his inventory back in March 2014 this year that I was going to purchase from him. The rough came from the same parcel as the stones 7, 11 of 36 of his sold Tourmaline page:

http://www.whitesgems.com/tourmalinegallery.html

However, my project was cancelled, and it may not be sold, in case the OP is interested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results