shape
carat
color
clarity

How will grandma's 3 stone diamond ring match up to GIA 3x?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello--

I **think** I have finally found my 2ct+ SI2! What an experience this was! OMGOSH!!! Crossing my fingers I bond with this baby!!!! She just arrived today and there is a slight trade off with inclusions from the other SI2 I had. :)

So.....
I have been looking at settings. I am leaning toward a 5 stone graduated setting. My mother gave me my grandmothers diamond ring the other weekend to possibly use the diamonds to create a ring. This ring does not have a GIA and has the craziest appraisal from 1970's. Talk about NO information!!!! LOL!!! What??? Hand written also. Contains two .35's and one center .50 (approximate sizes states the appraisal). The diamonds sparkle quite well but have a TON of metal (WG) around the sides of the diamonds so it is really hard to tell. I louped them- seem pretty darn clean! Way cleaner than my SI2!!!!

My question is, do you think I could use my grandmothers diamonds beside a RB GIA 3x center 2.16 H? Color seems to match fine- it would be more of the brilliance or cut. I assume a jeweler could tell me this with OUT taking apart my grandmothers ring? It would be a shame to deconstruct the ring and not use the diamonds.

If I can use them, GREAT, sentimental plus saves $$$$ since I would only need to purchase an additional .05. Then custom make the ring (simple design with two graduated side stones) since the side stones are specific sizes. Bit worried about the "approximate sizes" of the diamonds. My mother was the one who had it appraised after my grandmother passed. Diamonds were in the setting when the appraisal was completed.

Any clue based on pics if it is even worth investigating?? I feel I know this answer already -"cant tell by the pics" LOL!!! I have been on PS too long....

20150922_0.jpg

diamond_grandma_b.jpg

diamond_grandma_c.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How will grandma's 3 stone diamond ring match up to GIA

I would not use them unless you find out that the cut (and color) matches the new center diamond. I think you will have to have a jeweler look at them. It also sounds like that would make a pretty wide ring with a 2 ct with side .5's and .3's. I know that would not fit my finger. Have you tried on one with these measurements?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Good morning Diamondseeker 2006,

Unfortunately, there is no way my grandmother has 3x (or at the very least excellent cut) diamonds in this ring. Hoping they are VG. This is her first diamond ring she ever owned. She purchased just before she passed away in the 70s. Her engagement ring was a CZ. :( I agree. I would not want to use any side diamonds that did not fully compliment the center. I have come too far at this point!!

Will it fit my finger? Well, IDK? I wear a size 5. Something like BG 5 stone but custom to fit the side stones (if they match up). Could slightly overlap the sides (tuck under a bit) for asthetics as well as to "fit" my finger if needed.

http://blog.brianthecutter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/BrianGavin_5StoneTrellisEngagement1_010912.jpg

I'm going to try to run to someone today to check out the stones in my grandmother's ring.....take it from there. Gosh I hope!

Plan B is pear sidestones? Maybe still a 5 stone round but w 3x (smaller sides more gtaduated.... .4s and .2s)....IDK.....

TY. I will update....

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock

Hello!

Beautiful stones! I was in the same situation about a month or so ago.
What year are your grandmas stones?
I received my grandmas wedding rings circa 1920's/ 1930s. Its a 1.3 OEC/ Transitional solitaire "N" color VS1. Gorgeous stone, beautiful, flowery faceting.

I also wanted a 5 stone ring and reached out to Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) I told them that I wanted to use my Grandmas solitaire as the main stone and then do 0.3 x 4

I was discouraged by BGD and Todd Gray with Nice Ice from doing this.

1. The faceting for my Grandmas stone is completely different than the BGD signature modern cut. Both are gorgeous cuts , but look completely different
2. The color of my grandmas diamond is warm-ish especially from the profile. I wanted super white diamonds and wasn't sure I wanted to go to a higher color BGD diamond

So I decided in the end to do a Trellis 2 BGD setting with a Nightingale shank (it has 2 small mele diamonds on the shank- so cute!) in 18k WG. It came out beautifully!

Like you I really loved the idea of sentimental value and wanted to reset my grandmas stone into the 5 stone but am so glad I didn't
Once I got the BGD ring and put them together
1. the faceting is completely different and while each is gorgeous, it would of looked "off"
2. the color of the diamonds while face up weren't too noticeable, from profile there was a noticeable difference. My BGD is a "F" VS2 so super white

so now Im in the process of looking to have my grandmas ring reset in a more vintage/ antique setting that will complement the stone better.

I loved BGD and would work with them again anytime. They were fantastic and super patient. I will caution, if you like the look of your grandmas stones look at all designs for the 5 stone. While I love my 5 stone (its growing on me lol) sometimes I think I would've liked a different style setting and I really love the floral faceting of my grandmas stone. Or conversely I think I should have looked at more settings for my grandmas stone. But, in the end I love the diamonds from BGD and had a great experience overall.
I am really looking forward to seeing it reset and wearing my grandmas stone instead of it sitting in a box lol

Best of luck to you on your bling journey!! Cant wait to see the results!

:angel:

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

GM Unobuck19,
Thank you for the very long and detailed reply! My grandmother bought her ring in the early 70's but technically I do not know how old the diamonds are. I've heard about "cut differences" with older stones (not sure 1970s is older). Maybe it is :( :( I'm a 1972 gal....) Lol! They appear to be a RB cut (vs trans, etc) but what do I know? Plus, cut quality and honestly, color, is also unknown.

Your grandmothers transitional stone sounds lovely. I can really appreciate transitional/ older cuts. Nice wide facets! Big flashes of color! If I ever win the lottery, I'm definitely going to get a honker diamond with an older cut :) :)

TY, will update.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Update
Local jeweler said my grandmas diamonds are RB cut. That's good. Said looked clean under loupe. Knew that ;-) Said had nice sparkle. Agree. Said they have some "warmth". So they are not H. He said I or J. I really tried to get him to pinpoint which one it was because to me there is a pretty big difference when you're matching up to an H. He said he really didn't know what time in the settings but felt they matched up nicely and I could use them. Also commented is personal taste if I wanted them to be equal H. To me, I is ok. But no lower bc afraid will look too different.

Showed him a pic of what i am thinking. Like an idiot, I forgot to ask him if it would all fit on my finger. Very affordable!

I'm going to have to find another local jeweler who can provide more color info., second opinion, and price. Idealy, i would prefer the vendor who sold me my center stone to make and set the ring. Hate to ship to NY just to be told he doesn't think they match well. Looks like it may work tho!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You really need to try on some 3 stone rings to see if 5 would work with those sizes of side stones. If you look at Yssie's ring, you can see how 5 stones can work. Her center was 2.7 cts, but sides were .43 and about .15 each. Stones are set high which keeps them from being between her fingers. But your stones are in more danger of getting knocked when set high, too. For your 2 ct center, you might need to do .33 and .15 sides, or something like that, to have similar proportions.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-two-new-victor-canera-masterpieces.168402/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-two-new-victor-canera-masterpieces.168402/[/URL]

I was married in the mid-late '70s, and most diamonds didn't have grading reports and from what I have observed, they were not nearly as well cut in general. I would agree that it would be a mistake to put less well cut stones with an excellent/ideal cut center.

You could turn your grandmother's ring into a 5 stone band by adding .20's on each end. That would make a lovely RHR or a diamond band to wear at times you didn't want to wear your 2 ct e-ring.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you DS2006 for your thoughts. It seems to be a popular opinion, therefore I know there is truth to what everyone is sharing (quality of cut).

Yssies reset was my OCD inspiration. BY far, favorite ring EVER! The details! Everything! Shared pics with my mother. This triggered her memory of my grandmother's ring for possible use. I do MUCH prefer the size varience in Yssies ring vs using my grandmother's to be honest. Wouldn't want a high ring (lefty) and like how Yssies stop at her finger edges vs dropping between.

I will keep looking at styles while I try to figure this out. So confusing.

Tried this ring on at a high end store (pic attached). All sides are .24 each. Center was a loose 2ct that was dropped in for the sake of trying it on. I may prefer a slight graduation vs four equal sides. It was VERY well made! GIA sides. It was so pretty! Platinum!! Heavy! Sat lower..... Honestly, WG would be fine. $5,750 ouch! Plus tax, lol! Worry open sides would not protect the side diamonds (U prong) but WOW! And a wozers price!

Wayyyy, wayyy more than using grandma's diamonds and making a custom ring. I am 99% sure I could have this same ring (in pic) could be made for much less. Or at least find a similar for less. Using grandma's diamonds saved a ton!! :(

**sigh**

20150908_173008-1.jpg

20150908_173015-1-1.jpg

screenshot_2015-09-23-16-21-54-1.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looks a lot like my old setting. I wear a 4.5. 2.59 center and 30 points, two on each side.

2_13.png

I loved the idea of all that bling across my finger. Over time I realized I wanted my center stone to be the star. So I changed it to my current one. I had that one for about 2 years it a little less.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hi LLJsmom! Wow wow to your ring! :) Even if its ur old settng. Your new is a pavè band? Hard to zoom. On my cell
Looks georgous!

I hear ya when u say u wanted the "center to be the star".
Worries me that .5s on each side would simply be too large for the look- plus also having the .35s. Its a lot! My husband and I discussed using the .35 and adding two smaller stones (.15s or so). Wouldn't cost much. I think my mom would be upset if I took apart the ring and didn't use the .50. But again, there is the possible color concern and/or cut quality issue. Humm......

Husband likes this look attached -pears (also a ring posted on Pricescope. BG?) Screen shot off phone frm. earlier. Not sure who's ring? Love the claws!!! Huge claw fan! Wow! No clue size of pears or what it would cost. Could add up. The pears look pretty large.

Such different looks! I need to print them out small and tape them to my finger. No joke. Read to try this on a thread! Probably really would help me with the visual.

screenshot_2015-09-23-07-56-37.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually, pear sides would probably cost less. For a two carat center, they would not need to be more than .30-33 each. And you'd only need two of them!

I really like the setting you posted and agree you could have it made for a LOT less! I like the idea of .30 and .15 sides if you do go with 5. That ring had the side stones set nice and low, and I really like that!

I meant to mention earlier that another thing you can do with your grandmother's diamonds are to make a pendant, either with the three stones next to each other but the large stone slightly below the others, or a diamonds-by-the-yard style with three bezels separated by chain.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks ladies!

I did PS. .60 pears (only G or VG cut on PS)....$800 each? Way less RBs. Maybe they were junky. IDK. Also not sure of what size is best. Pic posted I *think* was a 1.5 center w/ .40s? Need to search again to verify. Like the ratio.

Good to hear $6k is bit OC for the round side stone ring. I agree, about .30 and .15 if a 5 stone may look best. Won't smother the center stone and is afordable.

Leaning toward pears? I am so.....non-traditional. I like unique. Different. The double claw prongs help modernize the pear ring. Need to iron out size of pears.....and figure out which setting is more "me". Good news is I really think I found my 2ct after ...two months and three diamonds shipped! Lol! Yah IDJ! Patient!! That is a big step! :) Of course, I'm poor, but happy. :)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Diamondseeker2006,
Thank you for the idea. Would just keep my grandmother's ring as is. Maybe downsize it to a size 5. My mom had it made larger to a 7 to fit her pointer. I just don't like it on my pionter. I need another diamond ring :)

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock

I have a three stone with pears. Its about a 1.6 ct with .30 each pears and it is perfect proportions to me... DK did an awesome job picking the pears. I am loving the ring now buuuuut when its time for a change ( just like the typical PSer) I was thinking of changing it into a 5 stone ring with 3 rounds and keeping the pears at the ends. Maybe you can use the .35 rounds from your grandma's ring and add pears. The .5 can be used for a pendant :bigsmile: :naughty:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Let me just say that if you want your center to pop, and to show it off, I would mention that the eye can mesh the sparkle pattern of pear sides with the sparkle pattern of a mrb. Thus you can lose the clear round outline of your center. If I could do it over, I would go with tapered baguettes on the side a la Leon Mege, bc I love his proportions with that style. The faceting and reflective pattern of tapered baguettes directs you eye toward the center stone, and does not compete. Yet the baguettes does give you the bling effect and finger coverage that you crave.

I have discovered that this is how my eye works after three settings in four years. I started with a six prong solitaire, then the one j posted. And then my current one, which really lets my stone pop, but I am missing the left to right full finger coverage I had with my five stone.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Diamondbug-
When looking for pics, I did view a ring that had three round and two pears. Very nice! It adds a bit more "interest". I felt it may look too "classic" for my taste?

LLJ'smom-- Interesting point about a center RB not exactly popping against pears, especially if I used larger (.5 or so) pears. But, then again, it would create lots of bling. I saw side baguettes against a RB bit ago (online) and liked the contrast in the cuts. I think I was so stuck on using my grandmothers rounds that I was "locked" in to viewing round side stones. Now that using Gma's ring may not be a possibility, my mind is ticking in all directions.It is a VERY nice look w tapered baguettes. Interesting also. I like "bling", and I think the baguettes do not sparkle as much? Pretty look though! Thank you for confusing me more, hahahaha! Like you, I do enjoy a full finger coverage. Maybe there is some way to incorporate baguettes which can extend to the sides of my fingers (for the coverage). I need to Google :)

Part of what is so hard is there are not any local stores that have settings that can accommodate a 2ct. Therefore, I need to use my imagination, internet photos, and PS'er minds to work this out. I can try on smaller versions but it does not give me the full image that I need to make a decision.

Thank you each for your thoughts

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Can you all tell if this side is one baguette or two bumped up against each other? I cant tell....would want double claw prongs....even claws on the TOP of the baguettes, if possible. I have the prongs down :) That's something! LOL

Looks like if my grandmas diamonds are a no-go (seems they are not going to work),then I am leaning toward side pears or possible baguettes. Need to figure this out :(

I still like the look of a 5 stone round, and if I drop in size I could do 2.5's and .15--maybe that is still on the table also. I wish I could try each ring on. That would (help) solve the problem!!!! :wall:

round_bag.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1443040116|3930997 said:
Thank you DS2006 for your thoughts. It seems to be a popular opinion, therefore I know there is truth to what everyone is sharing (quality of cut).

Yssies reset was my OCD inspiration. BY far, favorite ring EVER! The details! Everything! Shared pics with my mother. This triggered her memory of my grandmother's ring for possible use. I do MUCH prefer the size varience in Yssies ring vs using my grandmother's to be honest. Wouldn't want a high ring (lefty) and like how Yssies stop at her finger edges vs dropping between.

I will keep looking at styles while I try to figure this out. So confusing.

Tried this ring on at a high end store (pic attached). All sides are .24 each. Center was a loose 2ct that was dropped in for the sake of trying it on. I may prefer a slight graduation vs four equal sides. It was VERY well made! GIA sides. It was so pretty! Platinum!! Heavy! Sat lower..... Honestly, WG would be fine. $5,750 ouch! Plus tax, lol! Worry open sides would not protect the side diamonds (U prong) but WOW! And a wozers price!

Wayyyy, wayyy more than using grandma's diamonds and making a custom ring. I am 99% sure I could have this same ring (in pic) could be made for much less. Or at least find a similar for less. Using grandma's diamonds saved a ton!! :(

**sigh**

I don't love this setting. I think if you're doing a 5 stone it needs to be graduated and also cathedral up towards the center.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick said:
Can you all tell if this side is one baguette or two bumped up against each other? I cant tell....would want double claw prongs....even claws on the TOP of the baguettes, if possible. I have the prongs down :) That's something! LOL

Looks like if my grandmas diamonds are a no-go (seems they are not going to work),then I am leaning toward side pears or possible baguettes. Need to figure this out :(

I still like the look of a 5 stone round, and if I drop in size I could do 2.5's and .15--maybe that is still on the table also. I wish I could try each ring on. That would (help) solve the problem!!!! :wall:

They look like bullet side stones. You could do trapezoid side stones, bullets, half moons or trillions. Check out Leon Mege's website for examples. Go to custom engagement and you'll see lots of examples of these side stones.

https://leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/engagement/modern-cushion-diamond-engagement-platinum-ring-detail

https://leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/engagement/five-stone-round-diamond-engagement-ring-detail

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock

Have you looked at French cuts? Similar to baguettes but much prettier and sparklier. :clap:

there is a forum on here on French cuts but now I cant find it. will search later.

an example of a gorgeous ring

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-new-ring-old-cut-diamond

If you are thinking of doing pear side stones this is one that is unique and beautiful or other side stones:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/files/setting_images/thumb/large/5486P-0.jpg

and this is one that I considered before getting my 5 stone

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/files/setting_images/thumb/large/5986P-13.jpg
The Trellis is gorgeous.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/files/setting_images/thumb/large/5986P-14.jpg

Good luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So, I did a little searching.

Blue Nile has a refferal discount.
If you have two emails, essentially you can just reffer yourself.

That'll save you 100

I've got two options for you.
If you can verify of both are eye clean, these are h&a (based on the inscription, someone thought so)
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05709958
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05708659

Or if you don't want to bother with eye clean or not
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06158644
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05587166

So that'll be 1100 ish. Contact David klass see how much this setting would be in plat or gold, he canget you .15 side stones.

See if he can do this one

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-klass-montana-sapphire-five-stone-spinel-three-stone.207087/?hilit=gemfix']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/david-klass-montana-sapphire-five-stone-spinel-three-stone.207087/?hilit=gemfix[/URL]

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Unobuck19|1443110606|3931288 said:
Have you looked at French cuts? Similar to baguettes but much prettier and sparklier. :clap:

there is a forum on here on French cuts but now I cant find it. will search later.

an example of a gorgeous ring

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-new-ring-old-cut-diamond

If you are thinking of doing pear side stones this is one that is unique and beautiful or other side stones:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/files/setting_images/thumb/large/5486P-0.jpg

and this is one that I considered before getting my 5 stone

The Trellis is gorgeous.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/files/setting_images/thumb/large/5986P-14.jpg

Good luck!

THANKS!!!! THOSE were pretty nice!! All. What are on the top of the sides above the pears on this picture Unobuck?

Nice taste!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Niel
The David KlASS PS link was interesting. Were you referring to the first one with the ruby? I think I would prefer just round vs half circles (If I was looking at the right photo) but it is interesting! Price is good, that is for sure!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1443116698|3931344 said:
Niel
The David KlASS PS link was interesting. Were you referring to the first one with the ruby? I think I would prefer just round vs half circles (If I was looking at the right photo) but it is interesting! Price is good, that is for sure!

No.

I was referring to the 5 stone. As you're talking about a 5 stone, and I was linking round stones.

It's a copy of Yessies ring, but instead of 5k its probably closer to 1-1.5k

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

cinnamonstick|1443116365|3931339 said:
Unobuck19--
OHHHH found the style number on the link---it is not a 5 stone ring. A round with two pears. From the first pic I thought it was three rounds and a pair under (5 stones). Got it. From the first picture I thought it was different. Too high for me :( Lefty

EDITED: OOPS, I saw your reply after posting this comment

side_view_diamond.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Niel! Thank you! OK--I was mixed up on my end! Pretty 5 stone. LOVE the side view. Yes, that is a great look!!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results