shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set my new blue sapphire?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My beautiful blue sapphire finally arrived from Sri Lanka (see this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sapphire-is-on-its-way.266877/ )
It's a round cut, a little less than 2ct, with a 1.4mm diameter. I'm trying to decide how to set it.

I would like to be able to wear it stacked with my platinum wedding band on my ring finger, without a huge gap. Given @Cerulean's experience with bezeling her similar sapphire, I want it in prongs, with plenty of opportunities for light to get in.

Choice 1: A simple solitaire setting. This is DH's preference--he likes colored stones and dislikes diamonds. If I go this way, I would probably choose a Victorian-inspired 8-prong crown setting similar to this one, which DanM made for LabFace:
Except in a white metal, with a polished finish and a smaller donut, and perhaps a few other tweaks.
Choice 1a: The Daniel M Victorian solitaire in Argentium silver. Advantage: Cheap, so I would feel free to change my mind and reset the sapphire if I wanted to. Though I'm not a big one for resetting my stones, so it might just stay there forever. Disadvantage: Less durable; doesn't quite match my platinum wedding band.
Choice 1b: The same setting in platinum. Advantage: Durable, matches my wedding band. Disadvantage: Expensive enough that it feels like more of a commitment, but that might not matter.
Choice 1c: Some other completely-no-diamonds solitaire by some other designer (who? which one?).

Choice 2: Put this sapphire in the setting that currently holds my grandmother's OEC, and reset Grandma's OEC in some other wonderful setting (like what?)
Backstory: Long, long ago, Grandma had her OEC reset in a man's ring and gave it to Grandpa for an anniversary. I remember it twinkling on his pinky all through my childhood. After he died, she had it reset in a necklace and gave it to me as a graduation present. It was too blingy for me, though, and I never wore it. After I got married decades later, I decided I wanted to wear it in a ring, so I got an inexpensive reproduction Edwardian-style setting appropriate to the period when Grandma and Grandpa got engaged. It's just a cast reproduction, not very high quality, and I thought of it as a temporary solution, planning to get a nice setting custom made someday--but I never did. The OEC and the sapphire have similar measurements (the OEC is a smidge wider), so the sapphire would fit well in the setting. But then I would have to actually decide on a new setting for the OEC.

Choice 3: Something else! Suggestions? I love actual antiques, but if I'm going to have a new setting made for the sapphire, I want it to be a new design, not a repro of something old.

Choice 4: A moi-et-toi with the OEC. I don't think I would actually do this, but I'm kind of toying with the idea.

Here are some photos of the sapphire, including some where I'm also wearing the OEC in its repro setting:

IMG_3943.jpg IMG_3957.jpg IMG_3966.jpg IMG_3981.jpg

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Well - I think the 8 prong soli would be just stunning - I would be reluctant to make it in silver - but I am a klutz and would undoubtedly muck it up or bend a prong. I felt more comfortable doing silver with a bezel. Maybe there is a stuller setting that meets your needs if you are just looking for something temporary? (Like this)

Do you have photos of the ring from your grandparents?

One sapphire ring I have never gotten out of my mind is this one...although quite a different style:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have a look at Ivy & Rose settings. They have some beautiful antique style settings in 14kt white gold. Some plain, some with diamond accents. They are very well priced in my opinion. Lots of PSers have happily bought and used these settings. BC3C28BB-3EF8-4C69-B3DE-0882465A5150.jpeg E4470460-4649-4F54-8CB1-785A57A76506.jpeg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do you have photos of the ring from your grandparents?

Lots of photos of the OEC--plus my other grandmother's 1929 engagement ring and a CBI in an antique deco setting--in this thread:

That setting you like reminds me a lot of the setting Grandma's/Grandpa's OEC is currently in.

I have several Argentium sterling settings with prongs from Dan M, and they've held up very well, so I'm not too worried it would be too fragile. I did consider that Stuller setting, but for some reason I like the idea of custom better than mass produced, and it's not all THAT cheap in platinum (I don't like white gold). I'd rather put the money toward something I love.

@Bron357 , I love actual antiques, but I don't love reproductions, even though the Ivy & Rose ones are very nice examples.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Lots of photos of the OEC--plus my other grandmother's 1929 engagement ring and a CBI in an antique deco setting--in this thread:

That setting you like reminds me a lot of the setting Grandma's/Grandpa's OEC is currently in.

I have several Argentium sterling settings with prongs from Dan M, and they've held up very well, so I'm not too worried it would be too fragile. I did consider that Stuller setting, but for some reason I like the idea of custom better than mass produced, and it's not all THAT cheap in platinum (I don't like white gold). I'd rather put the money toward something I love.

@Bron357 , I love actual antiques, but I don't love reproductions, even though the Ivy & Rose ones are very nice examples.

That is great that you already have silver settings to compare - I am HARD on rings, so am a bad example :lol:

BTW gorgeous collection...really. If you are eager to wear the stone, I'd probably just get a silver temp setting and give it time to decide, but that's just me! Settings are so pricy and I have made blunders rushing into settings

I might reach out to a few vendors who may have old settings you might like more...I have never gone this route, but I wonder if Old World Diamonds would have something, or Sako from cjd_sako (instagram) could restore your grandparent's settings to perfection!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I might reach out to a few vendors who may have old settings you might like more...I have never gone this route, but I wonder if Old World Diamonds would have something, or Sako from cjd_sako (instagram) could restore your grandparent's settings to perfection!

Oh, that's an interesting suggestion! To be clear, I have no idea what Grandma's original OEC setting looked like. By the time I was born, she had long ago given it to Grandpa in his pinky ring--and THAT setting doesn't exist anymore either, because she had it melted down when she made the necklace she gave me. The setting the OEC is in now is just a reproduction of some generic setting from the early 1920s. I like it fine, and it's easy to wear, but it's not particularly well made, and it's not a real antique. I guess I could look for a real antique from the early 1920s, when my grandparents got married, and move the OEC into that, then put the sapphire into the setting the OEC is in currently--is that what you meant?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's an interesting suggestion! To be clear, I have no idea what Grandma's original OEC setting looked like. By the time I was born, she had long ago given it to Grandpa in his pinky ring--and THAT setting doesn't exist anymore either, because she had it melted down when she made the necklace she gave me. The setting the OEC is in now is just a reproduction of some generic setting from the early 1920s. I like it fine, and it's easy to wear, but it's not particularly well made, and it's not a real antique. I guess I could look for a real antique from the early 1920s, when my grandparents got married, and move the OEC into that, then put the sapphire into the setting the OEC is in currently--is that what you meant?

Oooh I understand - then maybe not worth restoring. That is in fact the setting I was referring to, but I didn't quite understand the backstory!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Sunlight shots (including two with a 1920s deco ring of mine set with a half-carat sapphire).

I'm leaning strongly toward setting the new sapphire in a platinum crown solitaire with no diamonds like the Daniel M one discussed above, but I would love other suggestions for platinum solitaires, if anyone has ideas.

IMG_4013.jpg IMG_4016.jpg IMG_4021.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It’s just gorgeous - I personally love your idea!

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
That is a stunning sapphire @glitterata!!
It’s so beautifully saturated and looks well cut! Congrats!!
I love the idea of an antique crown solitaire setting in platinum. I think your stone will pop no matter what kind of setting you choose.
Do you have any opportunity to go to a jewelry district and see some in person?
That is always my preference, but not always doable for everyone.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That is a stunning sapphire @glitterata!!
It’s so beautifully saturated and looks well cut! Congrats!!
I love the idea of an antique crown solitaire setting in platinum. I think your stone will pop no matter what kind of setting you choose.
Do you have any opportunity to go to a jewelry district and see some in person?
That is always my preference, but not always doable for everyone.

Yes, I did walk around the jewelry district looking in windows, and I also went to Cartier and Tiffany to see what they do with their sapphires. I saw a lot of platinum settings with diamond halos or side stones, but I don't want diamonds in this ring. The saleswoman at Tiffany showed me one sapphire solitaire with no halo, just pave cathedral sides; she said they'd started making the style because customers kept asking for sapphire rings without halos, which was interesting to me. Are halos on the way out? I don't think I saw a single sapphire ring without some sort of diamond embellishment. I guess I could go to a hipper neighborhood and try to see some less traditional jewelry. I can't be the only person who'd like a sapphire ring with no diamonds, can I?

(YOUR sapphire ring is heart stopping, by the way.)

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I did walk around the jewelry district looking in windows, and I also went to Cartier and Tiffany to see what they do with their sapphires. I saw a lot of platinum settings with diamond halos or side stones, but I don't want diamonds in this ring. The saleswoman at Tiffany showed me one sapphire solitaire with no halo, just pave cathedral sides; she said they'd started making the style because customers kept asking for sapphire rings without halos, which was interesting to me. Are halos on the way out? I don't think I saw a single sapphire ring without some sort of diamond embellishment. I guess I could go to a hipper neighborhood and try to see some less traditional jewelry. I can't be the only person who'd like a sapphire ring with no diamonds, can I?

(YOUR sapphire ring is heart stopping, by the way.)

Thanks so much, @glitterata! Sorry for the delayed reply. Birthday parties have me dashing about today... Not something I’ve uttered in a very long time. Lol
I’m glad you were able to get out to see some setting ideas. Yes, it does seem like halos are favored in the marketplace for colored stones and diamond centers alike. I saw an antique setting this passed week from Eragem on IG that I loved for it’s simplicity. It’s yellow gold, so not what you’re after and it’s prong heavy, but I liked that the sapphire stands alone and shows so beautifully in the setting.
7E41B396-036F-43A8-A16F-E0C9C137C8E7.jpeg
This was another in white gold I think that I thought was nice.
BF8203BA-D6B4-4A95-AEE5-F5036C8165BB.png
Just thought I’d share it in case it’s at all helpful. Feel free to disregard if it’s not something that appeals.
Your setting is out there. Maybe visit a place that does custom settings to pick their brain. You’ll want something that’s elevated if you want your band to sit flush with it. I love your collection also by the way!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone think I should do a moi-et-toi like this:
with my new sapphire and my grandmother's OEC?
You can see the OEC in this photo. It's currently in a reproduction setting that was supposed to be temporary when I bought it 20 years ago (GAH! how time flies!).
The OEC has a diameter in the 1.6mm range, and the sapphire has a diameter in the 1.4mm range.
IMG_3936.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think that would be fabulous!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I love toi et moi !!!!!
Then you don’t have to decide which ring to wear!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, DH nixed the toi-et-moi, so it's going in a platinum crown setting. (Not that he gets veto power over my jewelry decisions generally, but in this case I'm listening to him because I expect to be wearing this ring a LOT, and I want him not to wince when he sees my hand.) Thank you for the help, jewelry friends!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It's on its way! Dan M made it a platinum crown setting. He was super sweet about getting it done in time for my anniversary in early July. Here are his photos, which show it in its darker aspect.
il_1140xN.3152890322_19o0.jpg il_1140xN.3152890472_rart.jpg il_1140xN.3152890528_etgq.jpg il_1140xN.3152894234_qeio.jpg

It's on its way! Dan M made it a platinum crown setting. He was super sweet about getting it done in time for my anniversary in early July. Here are his photos, which show it in its darker aspect.
il_1140xN.3152890322_19o0.jpg il_1140xN.3152890472_rart.jpg il_1140xN.3152890528_etgq.jpg il_1140xN.3152894234_qeio.jpg

Hooray! That setting really allows the blue of the sapphire to shine.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous in that setting!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I can't wait to see some hand shots of that blueberry!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, jewelry friends! It's supposed to be here Monday. I shouldn't really wear it until after our anniversary, but I think I'll be permitted to model it for PS!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

"In Transit, Arriving Late​

Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

Sigh.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow it's so beautiful! I'm sorry it's late - but as long as it arrives safely, that's the important thing!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love what Dan did with that epic blue sapphire!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

Status​

Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility​

It's getting closer! I now think it might get here tomorrow or Thursday.
I KNOW you understand what this waiting is like, jewelry friends!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous! Can’t wait to see it.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, it's just beautiful and perfect. I LOVE a sapphire solitaire. All the focus is on that amazing stone :appl:

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
I love this thread AND your sapphire! I am so glad you found the mounting that you wanted and went for it!
It is really beautiful! You've inspired me to start my own thread, as I purchased a 1.58 carat royal blue sapphire from Lisa Elser and I'm trying to decide what to do.
Enjoy yours, and yes, shipping delays are real, BUT getting your ring to you safely is most important!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results