shape
carat
color
clarity

How much would you buy this natural ruby 2.9ct for?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
I think 1600 is too much for the stone, and you would not make your money back. I was actually being serious before, in that I would not spend money on it.

i accept it is too much, i am just trying to understand the real resale value for it

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
It’s tough to value using just the online info. One thing which isn’t clear is if the heating is done with flux/residue. Some places don’t clarify if the heating includes that.

It’s got a big face size, but the cut and clarity look (frankly) bad. Color looks like a nice red, but dark.

Resale value is how much someone would be willing to buy this for. I think most people would choose *not* to buy this. At best, I’d hazard a guess of a few 100 for someone buying it on a lark.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, there is no resale value to be had. It would lose much of it's value the moment you buy it and will never increase in value. It's already at this price for a reason. You would take a huge loss.
The top determining factor in any colored stone is their color, then treatment, size, clarity and cut.
This stone lacks almost all the attributes that contribute to price.
Ruby especially is prized for it's rarity and color.
The first thing we caution is that gems are not an investment.

If you're looking for a red stone in this size for your budget I would look into darker red spinels, rubellite tourmalines or garnet.
You can find a beautiful stone in one of these varieties to add or begin your collection.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Look at the ruby you posted and critique it: Does it have good cutting and sparkle? When light shines on it, how does it look? Are there any inclusions? Does it look dead and dull, or alive with color and sparkle?

To resell for any profit, you'd need an unheated, lively/sparkly, eye-clean ruby that you found for a great bargain, as those fetch a premium. Even then, you need to find a buyer. Unfortunately, your ruby's only asset is that it's red. Keep looking and come back so we can offer our input and/or suggestions.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, thanks. i want to know if i buy this ruby for the price it asks for, which is 1600, and not hoping to re-sell it for more. how much of that value can i expect to retain back if i do have to get rid of it for unexpected reason. I do not intent to sell, and i do not see this as an investment item. i want to spend 2000 and get something that looks nice and is decent in size. But I also don't want to buy it if it is actually only worth a few hundred dollars on the market. Understand that this is not as pretty or transparent to some's taste, but I'm trying to understand if this is worth anything close to 1600.

You can probably resell it but you’d need to find some unsuspecting soul. There are people who buy things for ridiculous prices. And this is not a dig at you I promise. I have raised many an eyebrow at so called lauded vendors and their “superior” stones.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal tastes, yours and any future buyer you might find. And a bit of luck!

Objectively, if you take out luck it would likely be very very very difficult to sell this stone.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
i am just trying to understand the real resale value for it

It is questionable whether it has any resale value at all.

First of all, we've established that it's not a good stone. The only reason they're selling it is because it's ruby, that's the only thing it has going for it.

Now, in order for you to sell it, you have to find someone to sell it to. Someone willing to buy it. On the second hand market, at that.

Who are the people browsing the second hand market? Most often you have:
1. The people who know what they're looking for and buying, and they will not want to own a stone such as this.
2. The people who don't know anything but are looking for the deal of a lifetime, and they will be browsing in the 2-300$ range top.

The third category of people are those who don't know anything but are looking to buy from a reputable business. Like you. Are you scavenging LT and Ebay for a good deal on a preowned ruby?

You see what I mean? The second hand market doesn't want to pay the vendor price. The second hand market is after that significant discount that will make the risk of buying without buyer protection worth it. And even then, most people limit themselves to smaller transactions and go the consignment route for items of larger value.

Buy this stone only if you really really really like it. Don't expect it to hold value. The money you spend on jewellery are gone the moment they leave your bank account. And if you don't like it, there are a ton of beautiful options for red gems that can fit in your budget.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
screen capture from someone holding the stone- the color looks a lot lighter than the 3d video. is this better or worse than what you originally feel about this stone? IMG_7643.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7645.jpg
    IMG_7645.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7644.jpg
    IMG_7644.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 36

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
is this better or worse than what you originally feel about this stone?

Sorry, but those photos are too blurry. Even so, it's probably time to move on to a better ruby.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Sorry, but those photos are too blurry. Even so, it's probably time to move on to a better ruby.

sorry about that...in terms of value, is this pinkish/lighter color more desirable than the 3d video color?

i can't find anything within the budget for this size as i choose size over quality:)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
sorry about that...in terms of value, is this pinkish/lighter color more desirable than the 3d video color?

i can't find anything within the budget for this size as i choose size over quality:)

Not if you need a laser to see it, the opacity is a detractor. I guess, if it has to be ruby.
I will still suggest another variety as if you can't get a good quality ruby, there's no point in overpaying for a bad stone.
There are so many beautiful red stones out there that have real size.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock

At this level of lower quality, the color difference doesn’t change things that much.

These have little to no resale value.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
At this level of lower quality, the color difference doesn’t change things that much.

These have little to no resale value.

how does this one look? 1ct, gia cert. not treated. what is the real resale value? 570_673652674.jpg

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys, I am hoping to buy this ruby for under 2000USD. I am very new to gemstone collection, I'd love it if people with trained eyes can help me to understand a reasonable price I should pay for it that will allow it to at least hold the value over time- I want to buy it for the minimal amount i can re-sell it for as a private individual, not a professional. 10.36x8.52x3.49 mm. (very shallow!) 2.95ct. This stone is heated with no other treatment. No more info is given other than that this comes from a reputable store. What do you think? Is it worthy? See the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C7SqY4MTBSWyA4oSUoZ20MKR_pmtqZAM/view?usp=share_link Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 8.40.09 PM.png

I wouldn’t, and you shouldn’t.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome. If you have not already done so, please read this pinned thread. I certainly wish I had read it and committed it to memory when I first started looking at stones. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-to-coloured-gemstone-buying-read-this-first.174284/

Colored stones are not as easy to assess as diamonds, partly because so much of it depends upon the tastes and preferences of the buyer. Beyond that, there are certain trade ideals for each type of stone. While folks in the Trade might rely on databases such as 'The Gem Guide,' which gives value ranges for each stone type based on clarity, depth of color, size, shape, treatment, origin, etc., ultimately, it comes down to how sought after the gems are and who, on any given day, is in the market to buy when stones are being sold.

Everyone here, especially @lovedogs, has good intentions and is generous with their time. Unfortunately, we really can't say with any precision what the value of a stone is, because the market is not as robust or fluid as the diamond market. Its not that people are trying to be confusing. We know duds when we see them and we know trade ideal standards. The hard part is when someone with a stone between those two extremes (admittedly, though, closer to the "dud" end) comes and says, "Yes, but how much is it worth, or how much could I resell it for?" I don't think anyone was trying to give you a hard time when they were saying they would not pay for those kind of stones.

I don't know if you have, but you might want to look at the second hand market, like etsy, or LT, or even ebay. After a while, you start to see what is rare and why, and what the market values in various stone types. HTH.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
My darling now departed Dad had a favourite saying - everything in the world has 3 prices - the first is what the seller wants, the second is what the buyer wants to pay and the third is what is eventually paid for the item.

No one can tell you what a stone will be worth in the future because they don’t have a crystal ball. The value will be affected by money markets, the gem market as well as a million other factors. What’s worth $10 today may be worthless in 1, 10 or 100 years or it could be worth a $1million. No one is going to give the OP a figure as there is no ability to deem a future figure.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
how does this one look? 1ct, gia cert. not treated. what is the real resale value? 570_673652674.jpg

Looks much better than the last Ruby, I responded about. But the picture is not the greatest. Either the stone has more than half & half extinction or the camera is blocking the light and reflecting off the Ruby or both. Most cameras are black.

It is impossible to give you a retail price on this Ruby. First, real retail is Brick and Mortar retail, which is what you'd pay at a jewelry store. Second, no two retailers sell their jewelry or stones for the same price. It also depends on if they are in an area with customers that have a lot of disposable cash to spend like in big city high income areas or a small-town jeweler who would be less or a pawn shop selling used jewelry.

I can tell you top, top, one carat color untreated rubies are more expensive than D flawless Diamonds. Looking at $25,000 for a top one carat Burma Ruby at Brick and Mortar retail, & maybe more.

Ask for a video. That would greatly help.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I collect rubies, and while I am far from being an expert, I know a thing or two.

The first one you posted is of low commercial quality. If you ever manage to resell it, expect 1k wholesale - assuming you find a buyer, which you likely will not.

It’s harsh, but it’s realistic. Don’t waste your money

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
I collect rubies, and while I am far from being an expert, I know a thing or two.

The first one you posted is of low commercial quality. If you ever manage to resell it, expect 1k wholesale - assuming you find a buyer, which you likely will not.

It’s harsh, but it’s realistic. Don’t waste your money

Thank you! i will not be buying the first one i post as everyone advised

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Looks much better than the last Ruby, I responded about. But the picture is not the greatest. Either the stone has more than half & half extinction or the camera is blocking the light and reflecting off the Ruby or both. Most cameras are black.

It is impossible to give you a retail price on this Ruby. First, real retail is Brick and Mortar retail, which is what you'd pay at a jewelry store. Second, no two retailers sell their jewelry or stones for the same price. It also depends on if they are in an area with customers that have a lot of disposable cash to spend like in big city high income areas or a small-town jeweler who would be less or a pawn shop selling used jewelry.

I can tell you top, top, one carat color untreated rubies are more expensive than D flawless Diamonds. Looking at $25,000 for a top one carat Burma Ruby at Brick and Mortar retail, & maybe more.

thanks much. i will see if i can get an video

kakadttt

Rough_Rock

thank you. i followed this auction today and i want to ask you guys if there is any reason why this untreated ruby (1)with certificate is sold for only 660 : https://www.catawiki.com/no/l/78386959-dyp-rosa-oransje-rod-rubin-2-14-ct

Also any reason this untreated ruby (2) with certficate is sold for 1800:

learning, thanks!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
i followed this auction today and i want to ask you guys if there is any reason why this untreated ruby (1)with certificate is sold for only 660 : https://www.catawiki.com/no/l/78386959-dyp-rosa-oransje-rod-rubin-2-14-ct

Short answer: because it's ugly.

Longer answer:
- terribly windowed
- too dark
- unattractive colour

Because it's set in a ring and has misleading photos. Whoever receives it will be disappointed upon opening the box.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Short answer: because it's ugly.

Longer answer:
- terribly windowed
- too dark
- unattractive colour

Because it's set in a ring and has misleading photos. Whoever receives it will be disappointed upon opening the box.
thanks,
how can i tell misleading photos from the rest? how did you evaluate this ring based on the info and came to the conclusion? trying to learn that skill here

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Well, first you have to always assume that the vendor is posting only the pictures that make the gem look as good as it's ever gonna look. So the right angles, studio lighting, and so on. The vendors who consciously aim to post photos that are fully representative are few and far between. So you always have to think, if this is how the gem looks at its absolute best, then what is it going to look like in average light? How is it going to perform in poor light?

Some telltale signs on this particular ring:
- not one of the pictures is face up, they're all tilted;
- every single one of the photos is in a studio, there aren't photos in different light, on hand and so on;
- the colour of the ruby from the bottom when flooded with light is a wonderful vibrant and bright red, which means the ruby is probably a lot darker. Looking a stone from the bottom always shows a lighter, less saturated colour;
- the lotus report photo shows that the stone is very included whereas the studio photos are trying to hide the inclusions;
- the algt report shows a dramatically different colour and obvious huge window.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Well, first you have to always assume that the vendor is posting only the pictures that make the gem look as good as it's ever gonna look. So the right angles, studio lighting, and so on. The vendors who consciously aim to post photos that are fully representative are few and far between. So you always have to think, if this is how the gem looks at its absolute best, then what is it going to look like in average light? How is it going to perform in poor light?

- every single one of the photos is in a studio, there aren't photos in different light, on hand and so on;
- the colour of the ruby from the bottom when flooded with light is a wonderful vibrant and bright red, which means the ruby is probably a lot darker. Looking a stone from the bottom always shows a lighter, less saturated colour;
- the lotus report photo shows that the stone is very included whereas the studio photos are trying to hide the inclusions;
- the algt report shows a dramatically different colour and obvious huge window.

THANK YOU so much! this is a very detailed, informational insight. thank you so much for sharing! learning a lot from your comments here

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I bought some of my stones expecting them to cost the same or more in the future if I want to BUY then, but I do not expect them to RESALE for the same price. These are two very different things, and 99% resale is going to be at a significant loss because you are not a reputable vendor and potential buyers will not be willing to pay vendor prices.
Then again, I regret some purchases even when the vendor price did raise because I don't absolutely love the stone, and in the end that's what matters. Do you find it to be absolutely beautiful?
If they have a good return policy, you can see it in person and will be able to a better understanding about how a stone may look differently in person from online vendor pics.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
thank you. i followed this auction today and i want to ask you guys if there is any reason why this untreated ruby (1)with certificate is sold for only 660 : https://www.catawiki.com/no/l/78386959-dyp-rosa-oransje-rod-rubin-2-14-ct

learning, thanks!

Auctions are normally a losing proposition unless you got the auction item very cheap, or it is very rare and sought after.

Most people lose money at auctions. Their main purpose is liquidation of products that have been either sitting too long in inventory or people wanting money fast from inheritance, not profit for quality and everyone is looking for a CHEAP deal that is bidding.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Auctions are normally a losing proposition unless you got the auction item very cheap, or it is very rare and sought after.

Most people lose money at auctions. Their main purpose is liquidation of products that have been either sitting too long in inventory or people wanting money fast from inheritance, not profit for quality and everyone is looking for a CHEAP deal that is bidding.

If i am going to lose money (because of the low resale value) anyways, I’m thinking auction could work better than say James Allen?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

Spot on explanation!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results