shape
carat
color
clarity

How much would you buy this natural ruby 2.9ct for?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
May i ask where does GIA write out information like this? Can’t seem to find it on their website maybe I’m missing something

1705261020759.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
For what you're paying for the size, a ruby is going to be a small stone.
There's no point in buying an expensive, ugly, stone. That's just wasting money. If you want size, it won't be a ruby. Here are few that aren't perfect but at least have ruby color.
You could try contacting this vendor to see if they would put a slightly larger ruby in one of their settings.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
For reference, below is an example of a pretty ruby at imo a typical fair price, a 1.2 carat stone for about $5,000. Do you see the difference between that and the ones you've posted so far? I would not be overly impressed with "certified." It does not mean a "ruby" is not a very low quality piece of brown-red gravel!

1705261413447.png

Wow, so much negativity- way to go! Did you read what i wrote ? Such as my budget? My priority? Or did that not matter at all cause you just need a place to place your personal aesthetic opinions?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For reference, below is an example of a pretty ruby at imo a typical fair price, a 1.2 carat stone for about $5,000. Do you see the difference between that and the ones you've posted so far? I would not be overly impressed with "certified" or just being any "ruby." First rule imo: Get something PRETTY.

1705261413447.png

Haha yup! I posted this example on page 1 I think. Gorgeous stone and worth the $ if someone wants a ruby.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
I knew I shouldn't have bothered, since you don't listen and don't appreciate all the time and effort people who obviously know more than you have already wasted on you. Derp.

I thank everyone else who is here to talk like adults and provided help. I just don’t appreciate your negative comments. Don’t take it personal

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I think my last pick is a beautiful ruby.

Go for it, then. You said you had a 2-day return window, right? And the return policy is "no questions asked", if you don't like it, they'll take it back?

A couple of days should be plenty to see it in different light, learn how it performs and make a decision.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't hold up to expectations, you send it back and continue your search.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Go for it, then. You said you had a 2-day return window, right? And the return policy is "no questions asked", if you don't like it, they'll take it back?

A couple of days should be plenty to see it in different light, learn how it performs and make a decision.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't hold up to expectations, you send it back and continue your search.

Thank you for the help, and the sharingI have a very difficult situation with traveling schedule so I’m likely doing to miss the return window by the time i get to see it so that’s why i wanted to post and ask before doing so. But again given my small budget- and the fact that i want it to be more than 1ct, it’s probably not something I’d regret getting. I genuinely like the stone and have a personal connection to it:)

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
For what you're paying for the size, a ruby is going to be a small stone.
There's no point in buying an expensive, ugly, stone. That's just wasting money. If you want size, it won't be a ruby. Here are few that aren't perfect but at least have ruby color.
You could try contacting this vendor to see if they would put a slightly larger ruby in one of their settings.

Beautiful options! Getting this for Grandma so want it larger in size for her to be able to see it easier:)

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and just to try and bring a little clarity here...

No one is attacking you personally. No one.

We know that it takes experience to learn and recognise quality in gemstones. At first most gems look pretty. You learn the difference once you're able to put two gems next to each other and see that difference with your own eyes. You may have started with a stone that you initially found beautiful, but once you have something better to compare it to - now you're able to fully realise all of its flaws.

Once you have experience, you also know where you are willing to compromise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and different things matter to different people. Some aren't bothered by clarity. Some prefer a stone with an orange hue to a pinkish one. All things that allow you to lower the price while staying focused on what makes a stone beautiful in your eyes.

Since you don't have that experience, people are erring on the side of caution and trying to recommend you only the best with the least amount of compromise. Because the best is obviously going to be beautiful, and it will remain beautiful, no matter what you compare it to in the future.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Oh, and just to try and bring a little clarity here...

No one is attacking you personally. No one.

We know that it takes experience to learn and recognise quality in gemstones. At first most gems look pretty. You learn the difference once you're able to put two gems next to each other and see that difference with your own eyes. You may have started with a stone that you initially found beautiful, but once you have something better to compare it to - now you're able to fully realise all of its flaws.

Once you have experience, you also know where you are willing to compromise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and different things matter to different people. Some aren't bothered by clarity. Some prefer a stone with an orange hue to a pinkish one. All things that allow you to lower the price while staying focused on what makes a stone beautiful in your eyes.

Since you don't have that experience, people are erring on the side of caution and trying to recommend you only the best with the least amount of compromise. Because the best is obviously going to be beautiful, and it will remain beautiful, no matter what you compare it to in the future.

Well said, and for the record, I’m super appreciative of you and your help and also, I’m absolutely not feeling attacked- don’t worry. I do however have little tolerance for comments that have only bashing talk and nothing constructive. In that case, i feel those comments should not be in this threat.

That said, thank you for helping me to learn! I learned a great deal from you!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Under 2k total:)

Ok. That’s even less do-able then,
With what I was attempting with the estate/vintage route.
Thinking since you are buying loose and will have to then find a setting that appropriately fits and someone to mount it.

It was mentioned upthread how much market has changed. It indeed has.
Prices are certainly different than 2018 when I went on my own ‘budget ruby’ search.

None of that helps you - just background info.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well said, and for the record, I’m super appreciative of you and your help and also, I’m absolutely not feeling attacked- don’t worry. I do however have little tolerance for comments that have only bashing talk and nothing constructive. In that case, i feel those comments should not be in this threat.

That said, thank you for helping me to learn! I learned a great deal from you!

Wow, just wow. Except for once, I have refrained from commenting because of your responses and attitude. You are new to this site. You want to use the site and the expertise of members here, but it seems to me that you are not willing to "read the room" and try to conform. I do not see you listening, learning and showing much gratitude to members who offer their counsel, whether you agree with them or not.

With rare exceptions, almost all new members here are willing to learn. They ask questions or request reading material so that they can understand what constitutes a quality stone. Unlike you, they do not repeatedly say "is this worth X?" or "How much is this worth?" If you wanted to, you could read the thread I recommended so that you could learn yourself how to judge stones. Then, with that knowledge, you could research yourself where retail prices sit for comparable stones so you would not have to repeatedly ask rhetorical questions about value. I could excuse this if, for example, you were color blind. But it seems to me you are quick to feel insulted, despite the well intentioned efforts by members such as @seaurchin, so you lash out in a rude way that is inconsistent with the etiquette of this community. Please review your responses to those who have offered help. I'm sure there are other members besides myself who find your conduct so offputting as to prevent our participation in this thread or help in what otherwise might be a fun and educational thread.

Nonetheless, I wish you the best and hope you find a stone with great resale value!

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Ok. That’s even less do-able then,
With what I was attempting with the estate/vintage route.
Thinking since you are buying loose and will have to then find a setting that appropriately fits and someone to mount it.

It was mentioned upthread how much market has changed. It indeed has.
Prices are certainly different than 2018 when I went on my own ‘budget ruby’ search.

None of that helps you - just background info.

Thank you though. I would totally go with your suggested options if it’s for my own enjoyment. I like the ones you shared a lot.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Wow, just wow. Except for once, I have refrained from commenting because of your responses and attitude. You are new to this site. You want to use the site and the expertise of members here, but it seems to me that you are not willing to "read the room" and try to conform. I do not see you listening, learning and showing much gratitude to members who offer their counsel, whether you agree with them or not.

With rare exceptions, almost all new members here are willing to learn. They ask questions or request reading material so that they can understand what constitutes a quality stone. Unlike you, they do not repeatedly say "is this worth X?" or "How much is this worth?" If you wanted to, you could read the thread I recommended so that you could learn yourself how to judge stones. Then, with that knowledge, you could research yourself where retail prices sit for comparable stones so you would not have to repeatedly ask rhetorical questions about value. I could excuse this if, for example, you were color blind. But it seems to me you are quick to feel insulted, despite the well intentioned efforts by members such as @seaurchin, so you lash out in a rude way that is inconsistent with the etiquette of this community. Please review your responses to those who have offered help. I'm sure there are other members besides myself who find your conduct so offputting as to prevent our participation in this thread or help in what otherwise might be a fun and educational thread.

Nonetheless, I wish you the best and hope you find a stone with great resale value!

So you are here to express an attitude towards me asking questions? Then don’t worry about participating in this thread, why bother with writing out all these judgements and made it sound like i made you. Why so sensitive?

Wait a min, you didn’t see what @seaurchin wrote before they “edited” their really nasty comments away, did you? I guess not.

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
it has a GIA certificate for ruby though...is GIA not trust worthy for ruby? See the photo on GIA's report:

No! Run, run, run away, as fast as you can!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, everyone stop or we will close the thread. You can put people you don’t like
on “ignore” I suggest you do that or just simply do not open their threads.

Nathaniel1970s

Rough_Rock
Please bro, don't even think of buying it.
I had a closer look as much as i can considering, besides the colour being way too dark the transparency is very poor, also visible surface anomalies possibly indicating significant flux and also i noticed a large intrusion near to the surface which would most likely indicate further intrusions possibly significant as well.
I just bought one (H)a Mozambique 2.3ct pigion red and clean reflection minor intrusions with cert for $200 just to give you an idea

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results