shape
carat
color
clarity

How much would you buy this natural ruby 2.9ct for?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I am hoping to buy this ruby for under 2000USD. I am very new to gemstone collection, I'd love it if people with trained eyes can help me to understand a reasonable price I should pay for it that will allow it to at least hold the value over time- I want to buy it for the minimal amount i can re-sell it for as a private individual, not a professional. 10.36x8.52x3.49 mm. (very shallow!) 2.95ct. This stone is heated with no other treatment. No more info is given other than that this comes from a reputable store. What do you think? Is it worthy? See the video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C7SqY4MTBSWyA4oSUoZ20MKR_pmtqZAM/view?usp=share_link Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 8.40.09 PM.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's horribly dark and I doubt you'd be able to resell it. Gems don't resell for what you purchased for. You can expect to resell for 60-70% of what you paid

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
is this worth getting certified?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
It's horribly dark and I doubt you'd be able to resell it. Gems don't resell for what you purchased for. You can expect to resell for 60-70% of what you paid

what do you think would be the private resell price, regardless what i'll pay for it?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
I honestly don't think most people would buy it, period. It's too dark, not attractive, not well cut, and there's no lab report so there's no way to know if it was actually treated or not.

thanks, i am so new to this. i picked this out from James allen, which is only through the 3D video i shared above- not much to go with...Hard to know how the color would turn out. Do you know where i can find a good video example of how this color would look in real life?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks, i am so new to this. i picked this out from James allen, which is only through the 3D video i shared above- not much to go with...Hard to know how the color would turn out. Do you know where i can find a good video example of how this color would look in real life?

JA isn't a good source of colored stones. Plus, please don't try to buy a gemstone with the idea that you can resell for what you paid. 99.9% of the time you can't. Only buy it if you like it and plan to keep it. But that stone will look black most of the time

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Same. I'd rather go to Starbucks twice

what? says the person who paid 2500 for lab half-eternity ring, and tried to sell it for 2100? wow

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what? says the person who paid 2500 for lab half-eternity ring, and tried to sell it for 2100? wow

Huh? I am lost. I'm trying to save you from making a terrible purchase. What does that have to do with me selling a ring I don't wear?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Huh? I am lost. I'm trying to save you from making a terrible purchase. What does that have to do with me selling a ring I don't wear?
I appreciate the help, but the negativity throughout is unnecessary. You and i don't share the same taste, or sense of value for that matter. I'd personally never buy a lab-grown half-eternity ring, or any lab-grown anything given the resell value. So I hear you on your opinions of how terrible these stones are that I am buying, but saying that a few times is good enough. No need to actively participate in this conversation if all you have to share is negativity.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Yuuuuup. Or someone who already bought gems like this one and is trying to see what he/she can sell them for.

hmm, you need to find another place to host your free time.

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
OP, no need to be rude. Members here are honestly trying to help you. The stone you're looking at is not worth it because of issues already stated and these in particular will have horrible resale value. Please don't buy gems, especially subpar quality ones with the intention they will retain full value.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the help, but the negativity throughout is unnecessary. You and i don't share the same taste, or sense of value for that matter. I'd personally never buy a lab-grown half-eternity ring, or any lab-grown anything given the resell value. So I hear you on your opinions of how terrible these stones are that I am buying, but saying that a few times is good enough. No need to actively participate in this conversation if all you have to share is negativity.

Dude. You are trying to ask about reselling price for objectively crappy stones. Multiple people are telling you the same thing, but you refuse to listen. Asking in different ways and being angry at me for telling you the truth won't help you. I even gave you multiple suggestions for alternative stones that are worth buying.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Dude. You are trying to ask about reselling price for objectively crappy stones. Multiple people are telling you the same thing, but you refuse to listen. Asking in different ways and being angry at me for telling you the truth won't help you. I even gave you multiple suggestions for alternative stones that are worth buying.

hey, i am not refusing to listen. i am listening but i want to learn more about why and what so i asked more questions. no need to think of this as being challenged. a newbie needs to learn and not just being told over and over and over again about the same negative conclusion you're making. Dude, if you have so much opinions and not much facts, it's better to spend your energy on another post is all i'm saying.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
OP, no need to be rude. Members here are honestly trying to help you. The stone you're looking at is not worth it because of issues already stated and these in particular will have horrible resale value. Please don't buy gems, especially subpar quality ones with the intention they will retain full value.

what did i say that was rude is my question?

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I think you may be interpreting people critiquing the gemstone, with people critiquing you.

You then took that as a chance to look up someone’s post history to try and pull up something to disparage them.

That seems defensive.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, one and only warning. OP, people are trying to help you and sometimes jokes and tone don’t come across well on the internet. You won’t find a forum of people more willing to help you find a great gem, so let them help.

Others, please don’t name call here. You all know better. If you don’t like what someone has to say, you do not need to make a comment.

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
I think you may be interpreting people critiquing the gemstone, with people critiquing you.

You then took that as a chance to look up someone’s post history to try and pull up something to disparage them.

That seems defensive.

nope, i don't. i am here to find answers and instead of getting more explanations about why the conclusions was made, i kept getting the same conclusion repeated to me in different negative terms. Once again, we are all here to learn. No one has a authority here to make a final call on the 'value', or else you'd be considered an expert. I am here to get answers, not repetition of conclusions. Secondly, looking up people's history when you are not understanding why they made a conclusion and not getting a clear explanation from them is more than necessary. How else am i supposed to know if this conclusion comes from someone creditable or share my sense of what value means? It turns out, we did not share that. And the fact you project your default reaction to me and use that to translate my questions and intentions behind them are just not right. You are the defensive one, please do not project to me without reason.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Okay. What do you want to know?

kakadttt

Rough_Rock
Okay. What do you want to know?

ok, thanks. i want to know if i buy this ruby for the price it asks for, which is 1600, and not hoping to re-sell it for more. how much of that value can i expect to retain back if i do have to get rid of it for unexpected reason. I do not intent to sell, and i do not see this as an investment item. i want to spend 2000 and get something that looks nice and is decent in size. But I also don't want to buy it if it is actually only worth a few hundred dollars on the market. Understand that this is not as pretty or transparent to some's taste, but I'm trying to understand if this is worth anything close to 1600.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I think 1600 is too much for the stone, and you would not make your money back. I was actually being serious before, in that I would not spend money on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results