shape
carat
color
clarity

How Much Pre-Engagement Wedding Planning?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
They''re gorgeous Ebree! I want to stay anyway from strapless though, and unfortunately there seems to be a majority of strapless designs.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
OMG EBree! That dress is STUNNING

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2005 6:25:46 PM
Author: AmberWaves
OMG EBree! That dress is STUNNING
Stunning and according to theknot.com, over $5000.00. A girl can dream!
30.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
So it's stunning and staggering, then. Holy Crap is the first thing that came to mind...
face3.gif
emdgust.gif

So now I have to go home to my dog, and BF. I guess hopefully I'll be seein' ya'll tomorrow? I'll think of a new guilty pleasure thread!!
emotion-14.gif
Have fun everyone!!!!
35.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Oh man I missed a lot during my commute home!
1.gif

Obviously all the dresses and bouquets are gorgeous!!!

As for registering on the knot, if you don''t want to get toooo ahead of yourself, you can always say that your role in the wedding is "Other" and then you don''t need to specify a fiance name etc. I''m ashamed to admit I actually changed my login from "Other" to "bride" a couple weeks ago though
20.gif
and, ummmm.....created a wedding webpage for me and my not-yet-fiance!
23.gif
(why isn''t there a smiley for "hides face in shame"???)

But yeah, thanks everyone for indulging me in my blatantly guilty pleasure thread! I''ve had so much fun with this today!!
9.gif

kimberlina13

Shiny_Rock
Thank goodness there are others!

As far as real planning, we''ve (bf and myself) set the date, picked the ceremony site, the rehearsal dinner site, and a possible reception site. He knows who''s going to be his groomsmen, but I''ve yet to figure out my side of that.

And of course, I''ve got several ideas for dresses, bridesmaid dresses, flowers, and colors...but nothing definitive.

caligal

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE that everyone is just like me on this thread!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Amber- I am in Redlands, sadly the IE at least until this summer! I am applying for job in OC and LA- and yes, we should hang out!! Ladies- LOVIN" the dresses! I got a fun tip that you can get great dresses just like these on ebay- so I''ll be shopping the Sept. sale in Davids and ebay shopping. Yep- the costco flower option is a good one with other flowers added from a local open flower mart outside if you can! Here are my details:

Wedding- Outdoors- either in the mountains, in a public park, or on a riverboat (there''s a cheaper package in OC for $4000 flat up to 80 guests, all inclusive!)- plus here is a great one in LA who discounts earlier weddings off-season- isn''t this place gorgeous!!
http://www.tivoliterrace.com/home.php
Reception- same place as wedding
Flowers- DIY- here are some awesome sites with supplies to do it yourself and great tutorials! It made a believer out of me who was worried about messing them up myself!
http://www.bridalchoice.com/wedding_how-to/wedding_how-to_home.html
Favors- Small champage bottles at each table with labels we create with our pic and names, oh and probably jordans almonds in tulle
Decorations/centerpieces- tons of twinkle lights (from an after Christmas sale), lots of tulle, and for centerpieces I''ll buy the fishbowls wholesale online- put my costco flowers in them! Oh and candles galore on the tables!
Invites- DIY again- buying cardstock wholesale, little ribbons, and I''ll be using my embossing heat gun and dry embosser to spice them up!
Bridesmaid dresses will depend on what I choose for a dress- it is hard to tell without trying on! Seriously, why can''t WE just try on??

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have some date ideas (9/9/6 if parents are paying; 5/5/7 if 50-50; 9/8/7 if we''re footing it
2.gif
) and a general kind of "feel" I want for the reception (formalish/evening cocktail/hors d''oevres (sp??) reception, jazz-y band, black/white/red?) and the ceremony (outdoors, natural, genuine). Some ideas, again, as to dresses and flowers, but nothing''s set in stone. Primarily because I have no idea as to our budget.
2.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I have had so much planned out for sooooooooooooo long
36.gif

Wedding site: hopefully casa di fior in MA near boston. If not there, then another hall or hotel ballroom that is not directly in the city to help with cost
Hopefully can afford open bar--if not will do free beer and wine all night
Church: either the one at merrimack college or the arabic one in roslindale where, coincidentially, my bf and I (both 1/2 lebanese) were baptised at
sidebar: I'm nervous about the church part, I was confirmed at birth, so I've never gone to CCD or anything, I dont come
from a religious immediate fam, but my bf's fam is...hopefully they wont reject me...
Date: First weekend in November (in 2 or 3 years, depending on when we can afford to do it). Our 4 year anniversary this year is this Sunday (the 6th)!!! Plus we both LOVE November!
Dress: Strapless white and I'd like a detachable bustle/train. I think bustles are so fun!
Bouquet: Prob roses and daisies, something simple yet beautiful.
BM dresses: Black, they'll choose themselves and suprise me wth their choices (they all have better taste than I do so I know I'll be thrilled with their choices, I trust them all fully). I dont have the BM bouquets figured out yet...whatever is pretty and in season.
BMs: My best friend from high school as MOH, my 2 best friends from college as BMs and either my other best friend from hs (she lives in Wash DC though, and is extremely busy in her job--like works 12 hour days, so I'll be sure to let her know it's absolutely ok if she doesnt want to just b/c she wont have the time to be a BM) and if she cant then my best friend from my major in college. Or maybe both of them--my bf said he can match groomsmen for as many BMs as i can find! My brother will be a groomsman b/c he is friends with my bf, but his sister will not be a BM b/c even though they're twins, I dont know her at all and she wouldn't want to...
Wedding Cake: My mom's friend just recently sold her bakery but is a french trained pasty chef so she said she'd make it at cost!
Flowers: My aunt is so great with flowers, and has a lot of money so has offered to do the church decoration flowers, and bring them to the hall as well
Number of People: I'd like to try to limit to 150 people if possible. Up to 200 max. (I dont have too much family, but bf and I have alot of friends we want to invite and he has a lot of family)
Centerpieces: DIY maybe rose petals and candles
Invites: again, DIY
Music: DJ
Photographer: Only for an hour at the reception for wedding and family pics. I'll give my BM's and my bfs groomsmen each a camera to record our special day without breaking the bank--you get much more fun and personal pics that way!
Song: either "breathe" by faith hill or "Just to hear you say that you love me" by Faith Hill (i've been going back and forth for years)
Favors: I'm not sure that I'll do favors, but if I do something simple
Colors: this part I need help...what are good fall theme colors? Wine color? I'd like to have 2 colors

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes I have everything planned out and then I''ll see something else and everything changes! I''m sure I''ll be a mess when it is time to actually book things!

We used to talk about getting married in Italy, but now his father is ill and that might not work. I want a small ceremony. As much as my aunts and mom tell me they wished they had smaller weddings, it has already been made clear to me exactly how much of my extended family will be invited, and the thing is, I dont know these people! So fine, if they want to pay for them to come to a meal, cool, but my ceremony is what is special to me, so that I want control over who is there. I think a morning ceremony would be nice...mostly because I''d LOVE a brunch reception. I''m picturing decadant flowers, jazz quartet, huge sweets table, lots of mimosas and champagne. Its just my all time favorite meal of the day, I feel like brunches are always so indulgent. My one fear would be that all our out of town guests would think its weird to fly in for a brunch instead of a dinner...is that weird? Then I''d feel compelled to have something available for them at night too...

All that could, probably will, change, hehe, the only thing I refuse to budge on is NO BRIDESMAIDS!!!!!!

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
This is fun
9.gif
...good post!!
36.gif

My dress: I haven''t picked out one particular one but I have seen several at David''s Bridal that I like.
My bridesmaids: I only want two people standing up...possible one. The MOH will probably be my good friend, whom is the reason why I met my SO. The other may possible be my best friend, who is a guy, but I''m not quite decided for reasons that he isn''t the most reliable person.
My bridesmaids dresses: I''ll let her pick out her own dress.
The colours: Not sure...Fall is my favorite season and I like the deep reds and the oranges so mostly like that''s what I''ll choose.
The location: I want to get married outside and have always thought of getting married in my aunt backyard, however, I don''t know if it will fit the 100+ people.
The ceremony and reception: We thought of a cocktail type reception...neither one of us are huge fans of receptions and neither one of us dance for a 2 or 3 hour cocktail type thing right after would be perfect for us.
The Flowers/Decor: Sunflowers are my favorite, love to just have those but it depends on the season. As far as table decor, A simple vase fill with water and a flower submerged in it, with either a floating candle or candles around the table.
The wedding cake: Something very simple..
The favours: If we have any, I was thinking of making cookies in the shape of a tux and wedding gown...or, and I think I got this from someone here, buying seeds of flowers that have wedding type meaning, like lasting love or prosperity and putting our name on the tag.
Time of year: Ideally next fall, however, due to finances we might have to hold off until Spring of 07.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
It''s beauuuutiful, Angel! If I don''t find my perfect dress with off-the-shoulder when I''ll be shopping for it, I might go with cap sleeves too, but I''m really hoping to get the perfect one with off-the-shoulder... It''s so elegant and a bit more conservative then strapless, which suits me much better.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I am back!! You know, I really need to get a computer for home. I don''t think I can manage a whole weekend without coming on here and griping.
41.gif
As for fall colors, SweetPea I''d say like, a burgundy, or maroon, a deep red, at least. And maybe a gold or dark yellow, or orange... My former best friend (see above) was half armenian and half lebanese. She was beautiful.. And my BF is catholic (he teaches at a catholic school!) and I have no religion, so we''re just going to be married by the captain of the boat, since they can do that. I''m kinda uncomfortable in churches, because I''ve only been to two, and armenian one for a couple of months, and a catholic one at BF''s school for graduation. Caligal I was looking for all inclusive things, too. Which is why the yacht thing and Queen Mary are tops in my book. For our centerpieces, I''m having fish bowls on top of sand and shells, filled with a different fish. So the tables are labeled by fish names!! Is that retarded?

IndiBlue

Shiny_Rock
Wow!

I feel guilty sometimes even looking through this site. Let alone allowing myself to plan.

Someone''s watching out for me though- Mysteriously I have received a couple of issues of Modern Bride, addressed to me at my BF''s house- Weird huh?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
That IS weird. My boyfriend won''t let me subscribe, but he''ll let me buy. Doesn''t he know I''m losing money this way?

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe, that''s so funny IndiBlue! Are you sure you didn''t order them when sleepwalking or something?
2.gif

And Amber - I think the fish names for tables is such a cute idea!! Go for it!
9.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hey, what do you guys all think of the width of the rings? Slimmer, or thicker? I think I have slightly fat fingers (maybe, I''m not sure about sizes but it''s 6.5) and I love the slimmer band, but will that make my finger look smaller, or fatter?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Caligal, I forgot, but I''m in West L.A. between Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey. There are SO many bridal shops aroudn here. I''m getting itchy fingers! My BF and I drove by Robbins Bros. the other day, and I had to sit on my hands to avoid wrenching the steering wheel over to see what they had. My BF won''t let me try on rings, so I don''t know how the different sized carats would look on my hand!
face5.gif
And I am SO not looking by myself.

Hey everyone, is this a mistake? I got an email from my FMIL wishing me a happy birthday, and I accidentally (on purpose) mentioned our plans for my birthday
emcake.gif
emcocktl.gif
emgift.gif
and how we went to Disneyland, and told her that I had been hoping a ring would make it''s appearance, but that when it didn''t, I told her that I guess he needed more time! Is that really stupid? She''s on my side, asking what''s taking him so long. And can I tell you? Going to his cousin''s bridal/baby shower (she met him a few months before she got pregnant and then he proposed) I was bombarded with questions about why we''re not married yet. I had to tell them he''s dragging his feet, and we''re living in Sin.
emsad.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I can't bring myself to buy a magazine. I feel like everyone will be judging me like, hey you aren't engaged lady! Also, if my bf saw I think he'd flip!

One good thing, I do invitations on the side so I do have some bridal magazines laying around (vendors send them to me sometimes) and I'll just say, hon, they're for the couples that come to look at invites!
31.gif

You guys already have some good detailed plans. I need to get more detailed. This is what I want as of now, who knows what I'll want when I get married.
Dress-NO IDEA! No strapless, no gloves, probably ivory, not bright white.
Flowers-I love Lilies, but I also love Hydrangeas when arrangement is done nicley
Music-DJ (Stax O Wax) with perhaps a Sinatra or Dean Martin impersonator, love that type of Music!
Location-Still don't know if I want to do a church. Family would kill me if I didn't but I just went to a Country Club wedding and loved that you walk from ceremony to reception. Definatley want to be downtown (Chicago) at a hotel maybe.
Rehersal Dinner-Club house restaurant in Comiskey Park/US Cellular. (BF is huge Sox fan) See this is trickey though cuz then I have to get married during baseball season! Not bad though cuz I would do late spring or early fall!
Want to do a pic slide show during dinner. Friends had this and it was incredible. Videographer even had shots of the bride and groom from the wedding hours earlier. It was great. Funny and touching at the same time.
I want a chocolate fountain! Everyone laughs at me when I say that but I LOVE chocoalte!
31.gif

Ok that's it for now! Gotta go find some pics!

Amberwaves-No I don't think it's wrong that you said something. Especially if she's on your side! Maybe she'll nudge him a little! I hate that, "why aren't you married yet?" You just want to hit them!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Angel, the invites are the one thing I haven''t really paid too much attention, are you going to do Save the Date cards? I was thinking that if we do the wedding on the Queen Mary, I could just buy some postcards and send those out, with the Queen Mary on them. Yeah, I''m hoping my FMIL will give him a nudge and push. :) Sounds like your BF will love that idea of the Sox.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I have not thought of Save the Date cards. I''m the type, ohh better not plan too much,what if it doesn''t happen? (I''m so pessimistic!)
The post card is a very cute idea!
wedding2.jpg

Who was going with the seashell theme? Look at this cake!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Are the shells edible? The color is so pretty. I don''t know why, but I''m not a big fan of fondant. It''s like eating sugar out of the bag. ;-) I''d really like a whipped cream frosted cake, but that''ll melt so fast. I don''t think I''d be happy with a falling cake. :) What about cake flavors? I NEED chocolate. :)

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
If I wasn''t having a seaside wedding, this would be my cake. I love ladybugs, and this is my green for the wedding!

bugcake.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Amber - I don''t think it''s wrong to have said that to your FMIL! If she gives him a nudge, then GOOD! But yeah, I hate when random people ask when you''re getting married. Only one time when my boyfriend''s aunt asked me and I just kind of shrugged, he later said "Why didn''t you tell her to ask ME?" and I was like HUH?? You WANT to be asked that question in front of your family?? Would you have answered it??

Angel - ooh, lilies & hyrdrangeas are two flowers I''ve been thinking about too! And I really like the slideshow idea, but don''t think that will work for us. I was thinking of having a table with all of our family members'' wedding photos on it though - which would be especially nice since most of my mom''s side of the family was actually married the same place we''ll be getting married!

As for Save the Dates...I really like the magnet idea. Some of the cheap ones are the knot are pretty nice (& cheap!) so I think we''d probably do the double happiness ones since my boyfriend is Chinese. Also EVERYONE invited is going to have to travel, so I think it''s more important to know the date further in advance that way.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Angel,

I'm doing a beachy seashell thing (although I like the idea of centering around starfish more). That cake is beautiful, but I've already chosen mine! Did you see it? It's on the first page. It's pretty funny.

Well, since I'm the only one who hasn't filled out the survey, I suppose I will! Mind you, only two of these things have been decided...but if I was planning a wedding now (and I will be, soon!) this is what I'd like.

Wedding site: Definitely the beach. Maybe Malibu? We live in LA, so we've got quite a bit of beach to consider.
Dress: No clue. Something strapless and classy. If I choose a "pickup" style, I want it to be random...I don't like the look of "uniform pickups".
Bouquet: White. Flowers not yet decided ;D
Food: Hopefully a mexican food buffet. Enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, and a taco bar. My boyfriend and I adore mexican food.
Wedding Cake: I think everyone's already seen it. It's one of the two things absolutely decided on, but in buttercream, not fondant. I hear fondant is yucky.
Flowers: DIY, and not too many. I'm decorating with shells and sand and candles instead.
Number of People: Probably around 100.
Music: I'm not sure yet. I really like the DIY iPod idea, as it saves a ton of money. Someone on theknot.com had a Frank Sinatra impersonator though, and I LOVE that idea! We'll look into him.
Photographer: Not decided, though I'm hoping for Jen at Photojenics.
Colors: Blue and green. Both light and fresh.

I'm all about scrapping the "formality" of a wedding and doing it your own way. I think it's the most fun that way!
9.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I was just looking on a local news site that has a wedding tab. They have an are where you can see flowers according to season. For all season it has Statice in it. They are kind of weeding looking but if you bunch them together they look really nice, I''ve bought bouguets of them before. Anywho, I thought what a great idea because they dry really well and you could keep your boguet for a long long time.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
HEre's a picture of it..it comes in a few different colors, purple, yellow, white, and blue..which would be cute for the something blue

statice.jpg

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
EBree!! Where in LA? Caligal and I are here too! We should all get together and "shop"
emidea.gif
. I told my BF about how we''re all on here griping and talking weddings, and he said, "good, now you have friends to talk to."

I love the magnet Save the Dates, I also LOVE the scratch off tickets, too. Luckily our family is mostly all California, but some are just parts of it. My brother and his wife will need a save the date card since they''ll be coming from Australia. He''s actually moving there today..
face14.gif
I saw these kimono type invitations I just loved..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results