shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you have art collections?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I really want to buy some art for our house... We finally have a large house in a decent area and some extra funds. Plus with 2021 looking like it’s just going to be 2020 pt 2, it’s highly unlikely we’ll travel or do our planned home improvement project (saving us lots of money). But as someone who isn’t creative, I don’t know how to piece this together.

I know you all have good taste so I’m asking these questions here.

1. How do you pick your first piece?
2. How to get pieces that match?
3. Originals. Yes? No?
4. Do you mix in paintings w/ other forms of art?
5. What do you consider other forms of art?
6. Thoughts on pet portraits?
7. Where on earth should I put the paintings? All together on one wall? All over?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Visit your local galleries
They will have pieces by local up and coming artists
get to the know the staff, go to the exhibitions
Chat and look
look and chat
Buy what speaks to you
(When i was a tween my best friend's parents owned a gallary - it was a fasinating place to hang out)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t hang paintings, don’t understand them.
I go to an Art Gallery and I appreciate them but why is one worth $10,000 and the other $100 million?
Here in Australia decades ago the Govt bought this painting called “Blue Poles”. It looks like some toddlers got into the paints while mum wasn’t looking. It’s ugly. More surprising is that apparently it worth multi millions more now and was a fabulous investment!
I think that unless you know what you’re doing, it’s a minefield, you have to rely on some “expert” to convince it’s a great investment or not! So buy art that you love and enjoy. I have silk rugs hanging on my walls and enjoy my various ceramic and glass collections.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What @Daisys and Diamonds said.
Go to local galleries and see what local artists are doing.
I was just in a local gallery last week. Great art is all around. You just have to look around to discover your local art scene.
What are you interested in? Abstracts? Still life? Florals? Scenics?
Do you collect anything? Still life paintings of things like shells, mason jars, crockery, bowls of fruit/vegs look great in the kitchen.
Are you outdoorsy? Then maybe scenics would work for you.
Where did you grow up? Landscapes of that area might be good.
Do you garden? Floral subjects are always nice.

I love Asian art, and I have several framed Japanese prints on my walls.
If you think carefully about your personal interests, you will have a good starting point.

To answer your Qs

1. My first piece was a framed graphic illustration done by a friend, who was a professional artist.
2. No matchy matchy--- Wall art is better when there is a variety. But going with a theme is ok.
3. Originals are the best, but numbered prints are good too
4. Yes, mix it all up
5. Textiles, ceramics, photography, stained glass, and even clothing. I have a kimono on my living room wall.
6.. Photos only. I think artwork of a pet never looks like the real animal.
7. Spread them all over the house. I even have art on the wall in my laundry room.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have no originals
My wall art extends to limited edition prints by an artist and wine maker called Mike Ponder - i discovered his work at his cellar door
And i have limited edition concert posters from a certain Mr Springsteen but everything needs framed so its all still rolled up
and i also have plates on the wall
its worth sweet bug#*r all but i have what i like
We don't actually have a lot of wall space and our walls need a lot of work so hanging art is on hold
I have a few copper pictures and a painting from South Africa and (again) a limited edition print of Ayrton Senna winning his first race - he is framed on conservation mountings and non fade glass but its all things that are only important to me
Its my house, i live here
I would love some pictures of my home town of Dunedin one day

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love it and it speaks to you, buy it!

Art is a little like popular music in that what grabs you the first time or two (or ten) might not have the staying power to hold your interest over the years. I like art where the technical skill is obvious so we have nothing truly abstract -- even though I recognize that many painters of the abstract are technically skilled.

We have a few things but nothing over the low four figures. Photographs, watercolors, pastels, and an acrylic. They all make me smile. Weird cast-off watercolor from an Audubon Society auction ($35), lovely pastel of a part of the country my wife loves (maybe $800), etc.

"Valuable" art (to me, that's mid five figures and up) requires security, climate control, etc. We keep the windows open in the rain and our house can be 55 or 85 F depending upon the day and season. So no serious art for us, ever =)2

If you are just looking to cover real estate on the wall, then get prints.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
The walls of my home are covered in original art - not really expensive art - just original pieces I fell in love with. My husband and I both have the same taste in abstract landscapes.

None of them are “investments” - maybe two or three I could sell on as they are by artists who have a following. But none are by famous artists in a broad sense. I’ve gathered bits and pieces from countries I’ve visited - not just paintings but sculpture and artefacts of varying sorts.

I find they make my rented villa feel more like a home.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with much of what’s been said above.

Visit local galleries, get a feel of what’s for sale. Most of the galleries I’ve bought from have a great online presence now and are doing a lot of business that way. Many of them promote young new graduates and that can be a fantastic way to get originals at a lower price.

Personally, I only buy originals. I might buy a print if it were from a well established artist whose originals I couldn’t afford, and then only if it were signed.

Figure out what you like, then buy it! Don’t expect it to be an investment. Also don’t match pictures or frames, you’ll be amazed how good a variety can look on a wall (as long as you haven’t got crazy bold wallpaper- most of my walls are just painted plain colours).

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dh and I want one statement / focal point original artwork. We think we'll fall in love with it once we see the right piece. We have been looking for "the one" for years now. So far, no luck.

In the meantime we enjoy clean white walls (the horror to many, but we like it).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh yes - I am both a painter and have a collection!

Matching isn't important - but creating harmony is. I have originals, but that includes screen prints.

Art is subjective. I like to collect beautiful objects. I have pieces running the gamut all over my apartment. I arrange rooms and walls based on a rough theme or corresponding colors. I consider each wall a composition of its own, and I place works carefully around furniture or plants. Art doesn't need to be overly expensive and it doesn't need to come from a gallery. There are a lot of brilliant artists on Instagram. You could even start by searching for graduates from the top art schools like Yale, Rhode Island School of Design and the Art Institute of Chicago to collect cool pieces before they hit the markets. There are also big expos, like Art Expo Chicago and Art Basel Miami that happen annually and many have moved to digital with COVID. Keep an eye out for when they happen. Styles and prices will range a lot, but get what you like, not what some gallerist tells you to like :lol:

To give you an idea of types of items I have:

Japanese scrolls (which I try to rotate seasonally, there are great inexpensive ones on Ebay), tapestries, bronze sculptures, porcelain animal figurines, fossils, wooden hand carved sculptures from west Africa and Mexico, Japanese and Chinese woodblock prints, arrangements with preserved butterflies and insects, oil paintings I made, my friends made, and other painters (I have a prized painting from a Hudson River Valley painter), black and white landscape photos, works from my father...not to shamelessly promote, but he is a talented painter and if you like landscape paintings he has an Instagram where he sells work:

Looking at galleries may be tricky with COVID, I'd prowl instagram honestly or find artists through galleries on Instagram. A lot of contemporary artists live and breathe through social media.

I'm also happy to give specific artist names if you have a sense of what you like! But if you are just starting...bop around and see what speaks to you online!

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, sorry got so caught up in other things I forgot about this thread.

I did have an idea of buying a painting at each place we travelled to, but again I suck at this and I never did it. Do you all know that feeling of looking at something/ things for too long and then it becomes impossible to make a decision? That’s me and buying art.

I’ll def check out galleries when covid dies down. And @Cerulean thanks for the link! I really need to make an IG so I can really browse. Everyone with something nice is on IG!

I do have a 55 gallon I plan to aquascape to look like a jungle and I have a few pea puffers in there. I might have things match the theme of nature. I plan to set up a few more tanks (although one will be a snail breeding station for my puffers). And I’ll do a orchid display.

I did commission some pet portraits but I also have tons of photos of my dog (the one in my avatar) that I took before we got the 2nd dog and I’m starting to look like a crazy, dog-obsessed lady. So I might put those away.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Quick ideas on places to put art...sorry if this is too detailed...clearly I love this stuff!

I tend to love works that are large and command attention in a space - creating a visual focal point.

For example:
  • I have a large screen (5 x 3 ft) print over my bed. My bed is centered on the wall, so it really creates a centerpiece for the room. It is high enough that I would never accidentally hit it if I was sitting up in bed. I chose a screen print of a girl sleeping in a hammock in a forest with deep greys, blues and lavender to match the atmosphere of the space.
  • I have a large (4 x 3ft) painting of a figure over my couch. Same rule as above - high but not too high that it's close to the ceiling. And I added two mid-size works that are roughly the same size flanking the large one. It creates symmetry and looks like a trio
  • I have 5 small (like, printer paper sized) works scattered around my dining room, fun, colorful ones because my walls are white...but all at equal heights on the wall and roughly similar size. My dining room is a small space, which already has a large table in it.
  • Using space alongside windows or doors creates visual interest (like if I have a small window on the left side of a wall, I put a small work of art on the right side)
A few "tips" (absolutely not hard and fast)

1. Make sure art is not too high or too low from where your eyes naturally rest if you look straight forward.
  2. If you are not handy, get someone to help you hang art and Google how to do it properly or you will end up with shattered glass and gouges in your walls when the artwork falls down.
  3. Large rooms, you can have large pieces. Even just one if it's a stellar piece
  4. Small rooms, multiple, small pieces.
  5. Do not skimp on framing if you get an expensive piece. Take it to a professional framer, with UV protection and acid free paper. Some art work can fade in direct sunlight. They will know what to do.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, sorry got so caught up in other things I forgot about this thread.

I did have an idea of buying a painting at each place we travelled to, but again I suck at this and I never did it. Do you all know that feeling of looking at something/ things for too long and then it becomes impossible to make a decision? That’s me and buying art.

I’ll def check out galleries when covid dies down. And @Cerulean thanks for the link! I really need to make an IG so I can really browse. Everyone with something nice is on IG!

I do have a 55 gallon I plan to aquascape to look like a jungle and I have a few pea puffers in there. I might have things match the theme of nature. I plan to set up a few more tanks (although one will be a snail breeding station for my puffers). And I’ll do a orchid display.

I did commission some pet portraits but I also have tons of photos of my dog (the one in my avatar) that I took before we got the 2nd dog and I’m starting to look like a crazy, dog-obsessed lady. So I might put those away.

I love those ideas! Honestly plants really transform a space too. I went to a nursery and bought a bunch of LARGE plants and it felt instantly like I lived in a garden and it is amazing.

Also, I as a crazy pet-lady - I say hang those portraits :appl:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Quick ideas on places to put art...sorry if this is too detailed...clearly I love this stuff!

I tend to love works that are large and command attention in a space - creating a visual focal point.

For example:
  • I have a large screen (5 x 3 ft) print over my bed. My bed is centered on the wall, so it really creates a centerpiece for the room. It is high enough that I would never accidentally hit it if I was sitting up in bed. I chose a screen print of a girl sleeping in a hammock in a forest with deep greys, blues and lavender to match the atmosphere of the space.
  • I have a large (4 x 3ft) painting of a figure over my couch. Same rule as above - high but not too high that it's close to the ceiling. And I added two mid-size works that are roughly the same size flanking the large one. It creates symmetry and looks like a trio
  • I have 5 small (like, printer paper sized) works scattered around my dining room, fun, colorful ones because my walls are white...but all at equal heights on the wall and roughly similar size. My dining room is a small space, which already has a large table in it.
  • Using space alongside windows or doors creates visual interest (like if I have a small window on the left side of a wall, I put a small work of art on the right side)
A few "tips" (absolutely not hard and fast)

1. Make sure art is not too high or too low from where your eyes naturally rest if you look straight forward.
  2. If you are not handy, get someone to help you hang art and Google how to do it properly or you will end up with shattered glass and gouges in your walls when the artwork falls down.
  3. Large rooms, you can have large pieces. Even just one if it's a stellar piece
  4. Small rooms, multiple, small pieces.
  5. Do not skimp on framing if you get an expensive piece. Take it to a professional framer, with UV protection and acid free paper. Some art work can fade in direct sunlight. They will know what to do.

I appreciate all the pointers!

Do light walls help? I was thinking they might and that I could paint my walls a light color (maybe cream) because they’re currently greige and make the house look dark.

I’d really like paintings with rich colors (I think, I mean I like it in theory) so I feel like light colors make it pop.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love art more than jewelry! I have a vast collection of antique oil landscapes, portraits, and still lifes. I would guess that 80% is from the 19th century and 20% 20th century. I don't have a single piece of art in my home that isn't original and my walls are full. My advice is buy what you like. Mix it up; art is the character in a home. Good luck and above all, have fun with it!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate all the pointers!

Do light walls help? I was thinking they might and that I could paint my walls a light color (maybe cream) because they’re currently greige and make the house look dark.

I’d really like paintings with rich colors (I think, I mean I like it in theory) so I feel like light colors make it pop.

Oooooh yes! Light colors with definitely brighten up a space. Dark walls can absolutely make a space feel smaller than it is.

You can make paintings pop more with well chosen frames too! Some rich colored paintings look awesome against real wood frames, or dark colored metal.

This may seem like a weird question - do you know which way your windows face?

The reason I ask...

Here is a rule I follow when choosing colors for walls...it applies to whites even.

Southern / western light exposure - complement cool-toned colors (like green-, blue- or some violet-based colors). You know when sunlight feels "hot"? A warm color will intensify this, even a light one. For example, I have southern AND western exposure, so I chose a white paint with a very slight blue tint of color. It makes the room feel fresh and clean!

Northern / Eastern light exposure - warmer-toned colors can shine. Light from the east and north a bit softer and cooler. It is also less bright - making dark colors tricky

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I love art more than jewelry! I have a vast collection of antique oil landscapes, portraits, and still lifes. I would guess that 80% is from the 19th century and 20% 20th century. I don't have a single piece of art in my home that isn't original and my walls are full. My advice is buy what you like. Mix it up; art is the character in a home. Good luck and above all, have fun with it!

Oooh where do you go? Antique stores? I have goals to make my house period appropriate so that’d be fun!

Oooooh yes! Light colors with definitely brighten up a space. Dark walls can absolutely make a space feel smaller than it is.

You can make paintings pop more with well chosen frames too! Some rich colored paintings look awesome against real wood frames, or dark colored metal.

This may seem like a weird question - do you know which way your windows face?

The reason I ask...

Here is a rule I follow when choosing colors for walls...it applies to whites even.

Southern / western light exposure - complement cool-toned colors (like green-, blue- or some violet-based colors). You know when sunlight feels "hot"? A warm color will intensify this, even a light one. For example, I have southern AND western exposure, so I chose a white paint with a very slight blue tint of color. It makes the room feel fresh and clean!

Northern / Eastern light exposure - warmer-toned colors can shine. Light from the east and north a bit softer and cooler. It is also less bright - making dark colors tricky

I have no idea and am now super overwhelmed lol!

I might paint a lighter color (probably next year) and then figure it out from there? We’re still working around with fireplace stuff all over the living room so I do need to finish that up first.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oooh where do you go? Antique stores? I have goals to make my house period appropriate so that’d be fun!

I have no idea and am now super overwhelmed lol!

I might paint a lighter color (probably next year) and then figure it out from there? We’re still working around with fireplace stuff all over the living room so I do need to finish that up first.

No no! Don't be overwhelmed.

Honestly this all comes down to personal preference and I just shared what I like! I am just a color nut who spent like 5 hrs looking at white paint chips - don't be like me :lol:

I think a classic color like a cream- you can't go wrong at all.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@winnietucker I shop at antique stores and shows mostly. Some high end, some more like flea markets. I have found a few on etsy and eBay. I was laughing the other day when I looked at a wall in my cabin and a $1000 antique French landscape was hanging above a $25 flea market painting. Love them both!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't except my daughter's pieces. She's been taking art since she was six, and now she's 15 and has amassed a significant collection.

I've learned to just hang up whatever she creates, and I do love the variety in the house. I'm gonna brag and share some pieces.
There is no theme, nothing matches but it does make the home more interesting.
010EEA6D-989F-47CE-9135-DF8E6651F56B.jpeg 6A64A158-6132-4B45-A576-4AD337F48216.jpeg 953DF163-29CB-46DC-9950-0C6E841BD371.jpeg 2EE93AFC-A57B-405F-B6E0-3027EF6EFAE2.jpeg

Last edited:

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I don't except my daughter's pieces. She's been taking art since she was six, and now she's 15 and has amassed a significant collection.

I've learned to just hang up whatever she creates, and I do love the variety in the house. I'm gonna brag and share some pieces.
010EEA6D-989F-47CE-9135-DF8E6651F56B.jpeg 6A64A158-6132-4B45-A576-4AD337F48216.jpeg 953DF163-29CB-46DC-9950-0C6E841BD371.jpeg 2EE93AFC-A57B-405F-B6E0-3027EF6EFAE2.jpeg

She’s so talented! That’s amazing! I’d love to see more if you’re willing to him share. :))

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

She’s talented! Very nice.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s so talented! That’s amazing! I’d love to see more if you’re willing to him share. :))

Thank you. I love her work. But she is very critical. But she is my daughter and I know nothing about art and the least creative person.
This was done in Prismacolor. Color pencil of some sort.
8B793912-D08C-4543-A92E-BD17F6EF0D31.jpeg

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I love her work. But she is very critical. But she is my daughter and I know nothing about art and the least creative person.
This was done in Prismacolor. Color pencil of some sort.
8B793912-D08C-4543-A92E-BD17F6EF0D31.jpeg

Wow! She is very gifted! So much interesting detail in her pieces!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for indulging me and letting me share these. It’s therapeutic and we’ve been trying to figure out when to let her resume her art classes.
sorry for the reflection. This is an older one.
14348F3E-E561-40D3-B433-187E9D96AE47.jpeg

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for indulging me and letting me share these. It’s therapeutic and we’ve been trying to figure out when to let her resume her art classes.
sorry for the reflection. This is an older one.
14348F3E-E561-40D3-B433-187E9D96AE47.jpeg

Looks like a photograph almost! You must be a very proud mama!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom
Your daughter is a very talented illustrator!! And Prismacolors are the best colored pencils!
I hope she is headed for an art degree after high school!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom
Your daughter is a very talented illustrator!! And Prismacolors are the best colored pencils!
I hope she is headed for an art degree after high school!

Thank you @stracci2000 . I don't want to derail this thread any further. I have some questions and I wonder if you won't mind maybe giving me some input. I'll start another thread.

@winnietucker thanks for letting me share my daughter's art in your thread. Sorry to have derailed it for so long.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @stracci2000 . I don't want to derail this thread any further. I have some questions and I wonder if you won't mind maybe giving me some input. I'll start another thread.

@winnietucker thanks for letting me share my daughter's art in your thread. Sorry to have derailed it for so long.

This can turn into a thread showcasing her art work! I know I’m not the only one who enjoys looking at it.:))

Bluemuse

Shiny_Rock
I’ve been meaning to respond to this thread because Art is one of my very favorite things.
I love reading everyone’s responses and relate to so many already posted. In case it’s helpful I’ll include some photos, recognizing that everyone’s personal style is unique.
I’m such a visual person, I take a ton of photos to think through a process.

I don’t collect high, expensive art, but I do collect and display art (mostly original) that speaks to me in some way... ie captures my imagination with the colors, subject or composition. It may evoke a fond memory or reference a part of history I relate to.

Art is one of those things that you can grow with. It doesn’t have to be perfect. You can take your time discovering what appeals to you. There are so many good, right choices.
And many places to find reasonably priced art. My favorite art sources are small galleries, antique and consignment shops, flea markets and thrift stores.

The thing I find reassuring is knowing that designers I admire also shop for art in these places.

The best advice I can give is to start by choosing a single piece that speaks to you in some way or has colors that you feel are calming or energizing, whatever might make you feel good when you see it.
If you’re not sure, take a photo and when you get home try to imagine it in your space.

I don’t generally buy a piece for a particular space. I buy because I just really like some aspect of it. Then I find the right place for it.

As an example, I found this pair of framed kimono swatches in a local antique shop years ago. I love the colors, the patterns and the fact that most likely the fabric was hand printed.
I had no idea where I’d put them when I carted them home. I just liked them.
They’ve lived happily in various places and now they’re on my dining room buffet.
036FD653-CEC6-4E8C-B5C8-9A47198105FF.jpeg 661ACBFC-254B-4074-816D-FD6B4CF6AAB3.jpeg
If I had grown tired of them, I’d have just passed them on to someone else.
That’s the beauty of art. If it no longer serves or inspires, you can change it out.

I have a soft spot for still life paintings and landscapes.
They remind me of the old master painters whose work I admire-Cezanne especially.
I bought this oil painting some years ago.
It was hanging in a mid century furniture shop.
I thought it was well done and I loved the colors. It wasn’t too expensive, a few hundred dollars. I learned it was done by a Polish architect when he was an art student in the mid century. I love knowing something about the person behind the paintbrush whenever possible.
51D24897-7609-427A-BB27-B771E9345736.jpeg

This was the first piece that my husband and I bought together. I like that he found and loved it, then talked me into it. Now I love it. She’s serene and lost in thought, something I relate to.
D9BAF9B0-F5F0-4334-B3D9-1BC5F578AC68.jpeg 2E6CFE28-C7D4-4ABE-88D5-60F12B382F04.jpeg
Most of the art in our house was between $10-100. What I love most is that it lightens and brightens our house and adds a playful, rather than serious vibe.

Groupings can be done in many ways. I never match anything. If it stands alone as a piece that interests me, it will stand together in a thought through display.
0856A505-CD8A-4785-8C12-9FA01266FF32.jpeg

5601A953-89E4-4149-BC89-72E1F23C20CD.jpeg 461644D3-F82E-48E4-BD67-824C90CF40CB.jpeg
The pieces in the center are concert postcards from SF in the 60’s. Art can be any interesting graphic.

I like an eclectic, collected look, a mix of modern and classic pieces, personal mementos and photos.
And I definitely love mixing art, glass, pottery, etc. I love mirrors also, preferably vintage.
All of these things add dimension to the space and enhance the art IMO.
Wall art can be flat without other pieces to move your eyes around the space.
Plants, and metal art like this can also add dimension.
D0CE6024-7EA7-4DE6-AA2C-DC65056CE6A7.jpeg

Lamps can be art too, especially sculptural ones.
3B3FE1BC-1B58-4852-89E1-8CDBC6792FC1.jpeg A3048AEB-7042-4B26-9FE3-6D9E07954AEB.jpeg

As far as pet art, I’d say absolutely. To me art is a personal expression of what you love and hold dear. By all means, display it.

This was our most recent purchase.
It reminded me of my 3 sisters and I and our ballet class days. My mom calls us her four roses and I thought of that also. Found at a flea market for $140 and now on our dining room wall.
D8903557-6039-4663-9CF7-7EC3E3899683.jpeg
-
A long view of a room to show spacing. It can be done a million different ways.
1E382F69-B44A-4FD4-8C9A-ED0A37580804.jpeg

Some may prefer a more polished, cohesive look rather than a collected one.
Or they may find too many things grouped to be overwhelming.
It’s subjective and personal.
There’s not a single right way.
You may have experiment a little.

There are lots of IG accounts to follow for inspiration. One of my favorites is GoodeyeHouseandstyle. I like the eclectic look and her references to classical design.

If that isn’t your style, poke around on IG for some accounts that have a more traditional, minimal or serene approach.
There is a wealth of inspiration there.
Good luck and don’t let fear hold you back. Nothing has to stay if it isn’t working.
Have fun with it!

I try to edit and display in a thoughtful way, but I enjoy it so much I have to be intentional about keeping it in check. Otherwise I’ll need a Marie Kondo intervention lol
I hope I haven’t gone off the deep end with sharing so much. Art inspires me and I love living with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results