shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you changed your minds from what you think you wanted in an e-ring?

I had a very strong opinion on what I wanted, but my husband presented a ring that was 100% not my style and impractical (but what he could afford and could source on his own). Then, my grandmother convinced him to give me an ring from her. That ring came off my finger in a flood and was lost. No ring for 15 years. I wear a bunch of things I bought myself these days. Maybe is nostalgia, but I'm contemplating getting a ring in that first style I wanted that these days.

I would definitely price the ring that you once wanted to see whether it’s something you can easily swing - there’s so much power and beauty in memory!

When DH and I first started looking at erings, I wanted a tension setting. Then I wanted a beautiful Ceylon sapphire and diamond ring from Stuart Moore. But when I thought long and hard about, I ended choosing an emerald cut and I still love my stone 26 years later. She’s a classic beauty IMO.

If I were in your shoes, I would absolutely take a look at the family stone. However, if it doesn’t sing to you, I would still go with an emerald cut.

Emeralds truly are classic, I totally agree with you!

I’m excited to see this stone… it’s so funny because a year/year and a half or so ago I would never have wanted an old cut, I didn’t really like OECs. Now, I love them (all thanks to PS) LOL. It’s nice that all my options are winners!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely price the ring that you once wanted to see whether it’s something you can easily swing - there’s so much power and beauty in memory!

Emeralds truly are classic, I totally agree with you!

I’m excited to see this stone… it’s so funny because a year/year and a half or so ago I would never have wanted an old cut, I didn’t really like OECs. Now, I love them (all thanks to PS) LOL. It’s nice that all my options are winners!!

I can totally relate! I never thought I would want a large round stone for a ring before PS;-)

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I didn’t have much preference for my original engagement ring except for a simple solitaire in platinum. I upgraded after about 15 years. I could see getting something different to add to the “jewelry wardrobe”in a few more years.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I've always wanted a round solitaire. For my first marriage I had exactly that. For my second I thought I'd want something different, just so it was different that my first failed marriage, but in the end I just wanted another round solitaire. This one though is double the size, 6 prong instead of 4 and platinum instant of white gold. So it is different but still exactly what I've always loved.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pick something that sing to your heart now, then as soon as you paid for it, post a picture (just for us) but never come back to PS again, then you have a much higher likelihood of loving your ring forever... :lol:

Tanzie

Rough_Rock
Just wondering how many of you changed your minds on what you wanted for your ering - for whatever reason! Did you regret not going with the one you “dreamed of”?

I had my heart set on a three stone brilliant diamond platinum ring; 1.5ct center with .75 ct on the sides, all G color. What I got was a sapphire three stone and while it’s pretty, 21 years later I’m still disappointed. My hubs is not the sort I could say anything to without causing major drama, so I never did.

Linh

Rough_Rock
The Summer setting from Brian Gavin really caught my eye when I was looking at rings (3 stone: round brilliant with two side pairs) so I was going to get that.

In the end, after discussing it with my partner, we decided to spend more on the stone as I could always upgrade the setting later. I ended up with a four prong solitaire setting but I have no regrets - I love it so much! I love that it’s easy to pair with any wedding band - plain or eternity.

If I got the Summer, I think it would have been hard to pick a complimentary wedding band (because I always wanted a half eternity/full eternity for my wedding band).

We both also loved the Emilya Halo setting from Victor Canera but when we got a custom quote, it was USD 4090 in 2012 which was more than we wanted to spend at the time. I can see that Victor now has the Emilya Halo on his website for USD 2195 (bank wire price) but without diamonds on the prongs and donut which is pretty cool. If I were to upgrade now, I’d go for that!

Maybe I’ll consider upgrading when I’ve bought everything on my VCA wishlist :razz:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pick something that sing to your heart now, then as soon as you paid for it, post a picture (just for us) but never come back to PS again, then you have a much higher likelihood of loving your ring forever... :lol:

TRUTH

@FL_runner I think a platinum solitaire is a classic and that’s probably why you gravitated towards that to begin with! I think just looking at your ering as a part of a jewelry wardrobe is smart.

@winetime12 your ring sounds so classic and lovely. And it seems like in your case your heart truly knows what it wanted :D

@SomethingNew LOL you are so right. PS is dangerous for my wallet. This newfound love for OECs has me wanting to buy ALL the old cuts lol. Noooo I want to be happy with a smaller collection!!

@DiamondDuchess do you think it’ll make you happy if you were to buy a ring similar to what you had originally wanted, not for an ering but an RHR? Would your husband be okay with that?

@Linh the four prong solitaire is SUCH a classic! Goes with everything. Though the emilya is lovely as well ofc. All your options sound great - to upgrade the setting or not to upgrade (but buy more VCA :D)

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, when do you get to see the antique diamond???

So, when do you get to see the antique diamond???

Next time I see my SO's family, which will be end of this year! Either November or December. Still a long, long time away :(sad but I asked her if she'd be willing to send me a picture when she has time to retrieve the stone from the bank, and she said she would. So hopefully I'll at least get to see a picture by next week or so!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering how many of you changed your minds on what you wanted for your ering - for whatever reason! Did you regret not going with the one you “dreamed of”?

I wanted a sapphire!

husband insisted on a diamond, who was I to protest?

I started out thinking I wanted a low colored stone, and I got one…the color drove me bonkers and looked poorly on me

I changed it for a smaller, whiter OEC and I have no regrets

the one thing I haven’t figured out is how to set her once and for all, but getting close…TBD hah!

I think instead of expecting one ring to do it all for me, I’ll be happiest with 2-3 different e rings in radically different styles (to acquire over time) for special anniversaries

As an update for everyone who weighed in on this thread and the 'double halos' thread - I finally saw the stone... and it's gorgeous. It leans more transitional than OEC imo, the crown is a bit flat and it is a tad bit leaky in the centre if I'm honest, but the colour is beautifully even and a gorgeous chameleon-y pale yellow in some light and ivory in others. I would estimate it to be really low alphabet, and actually it made me realise that my own (still unset) round stone is not as low down the alphabet as I had assumed! And it's a lovely, large size. The jeweler will weigh it when it is unset from its current setting, estimated 3.3ct at the moment.

So... I'm going for it! And I already decided to set it in a double halo, too. I'll get to see the ring before I leave India again (hopefully), but my SO's mom will keep it with her until the proposal.

I might share a pic, just because everyone has been super helpful, on a new thread (once it's ready) but I will probably delete the thread after a few days.

Aaaah! So excited!!! :D

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
As an update for everyone who weighed in on this thread and the 'double halos' thread - I finally saw the stone... and it's gorgeous. It leans more transitional than OEC imo, the crown is a bit flat and it is a tad bit leaky in the centre if I'm honest, but the colour is beautifully even and a gorgeous chameleon-y pale yellow in some light and ivory in others. I would estimate it to be really low alphabet, and actually it made me realise that my own (still unset) round stone is not as low down the alphabet as I had assumed! And it's a lovely, large size. The jeweler will weigh it when it is unset from its current setting, estimated 3.3ct at the moment.

So... I'm going for it! And I already decided to set it in a double halo, too. I'll get to see the ring before I leave India again (hopefully), but my SO's mom will keep it with her until the proposal.

I might share a pic, just because everyone has been super helpful, on a new thread (once it's ready) but I will probably delete the thread after a few days.

Aaaah! So excited!!! :D

oh boy!! I would LOVE to see a photo!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results