shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you bite your tongue about . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
These SA stories are hilarious.

Dreamgirl - I also don''t agree that everyone who likes Tiffany is rich and snobby. I actually found the statement a little offensive but I decided to bite my tonge (I guess it''s coming out now). I am that girl who has fancy purses and enjoys luxury cars. I don''t have them to show off and it doesn''t make me a snob. I shouldn''t be judged for what I enjoy when I work hard for my money and it allows me to afford the things I like. If I was to walk around thinking my bag or I am better than everyone else, I would agree that I have a huge problem.

None of my friends with Tiffany rings thinks their rings are better than the non-Tiffany. They enjoy their rings because it is special to them. I don''t judge them and I don''t expect them to judge me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 3:18:26 PM
Author: EricaR
I think a lot of what you pay for with Tiffany is the name, but I also think that their quality can be top notch. I was in the tiffany at Ceaser's in Vegas a few weeks back and they had the most beautiful deep purple sapphire legacy that I was drooling on. I checked that setting inside and out and everything was straight and looked absolutely perfect.
Ditto! I think we wouldn't have ladies here with exquisite taste such as DiamondFan and Kaleigh having their e-rings from there if they weren't excellent quality.
1.gif

I think we have all learned from past threads that a buyer has to be very discriminating even in stores such as Tiffany, Cartier, and HW to get the best quality diamonds. And all of us who carry loupes with us can also check out a setting and milgrain before we buy. There are some very happy Tiffany owners on here, too, who were able to buy Tiffany without overpaying from Signed Pieces.

(Oh, and I am not rich or snobby, either!
2.gif
)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 11:28:24 PM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 1/9/2009 10:10:08 PM
Author: geckodani

Date: 1/9/2009 4:00:56 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 1/9/2009 2:30:52 PM
Author: geckodani
My diamond from a little hole in the wall jeweler was throwing off more fire than the tiffany solitaires the last time I wandered in to ogle.....
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
That hurt.
Didn''t mean it too, LOL. I still lust after owning something from Tiffany''s - I just noticed that my ''lil blinger was out performing some of the solitaires.
5.gif
Dreamgirl, I''m sure nobody intends these comments to be offensive - after all, we are not critiquing any particular piece of jewellery that a mbr owns. Just a general discussion. Of course, you are just as much entitled to your opinion - I just wouldn''t want to see your feelings hurt as I know how much you like Tiff''s.

Personally, I adore your amethyst pendant and think the workmanship on that piece is very fine.
5.gif

BTW, lol about the PP sugar rings - I''ve never really looked that close, but those stones are average.
I''d rather take my well cut gem and have it set in a nicer handmade ring of that style on etsy, for a fraction of the price!
3.gif
Ditto!
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the lesson learned here is that you should not always trust something simply because it's a "name." Many people go in and blindly buy something from Tiffany&Co without further inspection or research, not all people, but many. You may find value for your money there, but not everyone does the research. For example, I think I would be very unhappy to have purchased one of their legacies with crappy millgraining knowing what I know now about quality of workmanship. Another store might have another one with excellent millgraining, or you can purchase a similar (okay - copy) of the ring somewhere else. People shouldn't just assume that just because a ring came from Tiffany, that it's perfect in every possible way and the most magnificent ring of it's type. That's just nonsense, but to many consumers, they are "blinded by the name."

What also bugs me is that they treat their stones like sapphires, aquas, etc. . . but they still charge "untreated prices." Since many of us are very knowlegable about colored gems, I think we would like to know where our sapphire came from, the type of treatment, but they won't say, or even provide a lab report with it. They only provide lab reports (GIA) with their diamonds. Now why is this??? I find that really peculiar. How many of us extremely knowlegable in colored gems would pay 20K and beyond for a stone without a lab report, even if it was from Tiffany? I know I wouldn't. Well, at least I know their tanzanites come from Tanzania!
emcrook.gif

I am questioning this firm because some of their practices and workmanship does not add up, but they continue to charge a huge markup. I sometimes wonder if they didn't have a film with iconic glamour godess Audrey Hepburn in it, would they be that spectacular??? My guess is that she probably could design a ring much better than Paloma Picasso.
emsmilep.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 5:11:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
[snip]I am questioning this firm because some of their practices and workmanship does not add up, but they continue to charge a huge markup. I sometimes wonder if they didn''t have a film with iconic glamour godess Audrey Hepburn in it, would they be that spectacular??? My guess is that she probably could design a ring much better than Paloma Picasso.
emsmilep.gif
So does Coca-Cola. It''s brand equity, right or wrong. Not that I disagree with you or find this behaviour fair, but c''est la vie.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 5:12:39 AM
Author: oldmancoyote

Date: 1/10/2009 5:11:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
[snip]I am questioning this firm because some of their practices and workmanship does not add up, but they continue to charge a huge markup. I sometimes wonder if they didn't have a film with iconic glamour godess Audrey Hepburn in it, would they be that spectacular??? My guess is that she probably could design a ring much better than Paloma Picasso.
emsmilep.gif
So does Coca-Cola. It's brand equity, right or wrong. Not that I disagree with you or find this behaviour fair, but c'est la vie.
You're right, and you know what, both Coca-cola and Tiffany quality have gone down over the years.

Have you ever seen Raymond Yard jewelry. It's a small outfit, but the pieces are to die for. They designed so much beautiful and ornate jewelry for famous and wealthy buyers, but they didn't know how to market themselves in the best way. It's all about marketing yourself I guess.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Tiffany''s web site lists 284 retail stores. So if each store had say 3 of a particular ring, that would mean that there were over 800 of the same ring made. To manufacture identical rings in mass quantities, as Richard Wise pointed out in another thread here; "mediocrity becomes the standard".

From what I see, the prices are anything but mediocrity however! Wouldn''t you rather get a one of kind piece hand made by a goldsmith, for the same or lower price? I can''t comment on the settings, but I saw someone here post a smokey quartz ring for something like $1200. The stone wasn''t well cut, and even it it was, it would have sold for only about $15. I think the ring was only sterling silver. I''m thinking maybe that blue box must be where all the money is.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think tiffanys quality is fine, but not for the price. I think there are many vendors who can do as good of a job or much better for a heck of a better deal. I''ve never bitten my tongue about it, I''m pretty open about how I feel about their quality around ps.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 1:59:25 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
The Tiffany's web site lists 284 retail stores. So if each store had say 3 of a particular ring, that would mean that there were over 800 of the same ring made. To manufacture identical rings in mass quantities, as Richard Wise pointed out in another thread here; 'mediocrity becomes the standard'.

From what I see, the prices are anything but mediocrity however! Wouldn't you rather get a one of kind piece hand made by a goldsmith, for the same or lower price? I can't comment on the settings, but I saw someone here post a smokey quartz ring for something like $1200. The stone wasn't well cut, and even it it was, it would have sold for only about $15. I think the ring was only sterling silver. I'm thinking maybe that blue box must be where all the money is.
Gene,
You said it the best, and I think Richard Wise's comment is so perfect. Even the blue box has gone downhill believe it or not. A long time ago, I found a website where someone compared various generations of their blue boxes, and even the quality of the blue box wasn't what it used to be. The interior used to be lined in blue and state Tiffany&Co, and now it's just a simple plain white cardboard interior. I know that doesn't mean anything, but I had to bring it up since you mentioned the box. . . ha!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results