shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you bite your tongue about . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany and quality. I'm sorry, but I don't know who is releasing their print ads. Is it just me, or does the millgraining on this piece look like crap, especially in the upper right hand corner?

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=23698064&mcat=148204&cid=288154&search_params=s+5-p+2-c+288154-r+101287466-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I recently was in their store, and I was super unimpressed by the quality when staring closely at the settings. Okay, someone can beat me over the head now. I just feel that so many people are so blown away by the name, they forget to look at the quality up close.

Now I know I shouldn't talk because I purchase LOGR settings, but I am also not paying thousands of dollars on super marked up pieces.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest, this has really been bugging me for some time.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey TL..I would guess that particular ring, its more the quality of the photo - but I could be wrong.

I''m not going to beat you, as I have a similiar confession..
I had Never been in a Tiff''s store or owned anything of theirs..when a store finally opened in my city last year, I was super excited.
I went on one of the first days, and it was madness - ppl were buying so much stuff. But I was left...decidedly underwhelmed, I guess you could say?
Lol, guess that means I deserve a slap too ....?
emembarrassed.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Bang. Slap. Thud. The last was someone banging me on the head.

I am with AJ - the photo (if it''s not a rendering) is way too cropped to be sure the millegrain is missing as it seems (look also directly at the bottom of the ring)

I agree on the value-for-money ratio too - I have purchased two Tiffany items: a Paloma Picasso silver bangle and an Étoile ring in platinum (this was as a lame apology once when I went shopping for a 2+ ct. Asscher cut, way before they became famous again, and failed to find any worth buying...), and I have probably paid for both of them twice as much as I could have had I shopped around. The quality of both is excellent, but there is nothing exciting about them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen shoddy millgraining like this at the stores as well, and this isn't the only print ad with shoddy millgraining.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only reason I do not shop at Tiffanys is the value to money ratio. If I had unlimited cash and no budget then I probably would purchase their whole inventory
3.gif
But their prices are too high when you can get similar, beautiful items for much less.

But that is just me... I like brands. I guess to some they mean nothing, to others they do.

I am only reffering to their gold/gemstone jewelry. I would never spend 200 dollars (or however much it is) on a silver bracelet just because it has Tiffanys written on it
3.gif
I think at 16 I did want to though lol....

It looks like lighting issue to me but I could be wrong as I know very lil about photography :razz:

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
I, too, have some Tiffany pieces (Peretti Diamons by the Yard pendant and a couple of bracelets) and loved receiving them. When we were shopping for my sapphire e-ring, SO thought their prices were "reasonnable", and I became very excited and asked to have them find a sapphire Tiffany Legacy ring. Well, the one they found was about 1.99 carats priced at over $20K. I really like the Legacy style; the diamonds shined, but on closer inspection, I really don''t like the way the bezel (?) enclosed the stone. It was noticeably crooked! Now, I know that this is probably because one has to deal with the native cut sapphire which is not cut perfectly. But the Tiffany Legacy setting just brought this out. Much as I wanted that blue box and the cache of saying my e-ring is from Tiffany''s, I would NOT have been happy with it. Plus, over $20K for a ring with a less than 2ct. heated sapphire??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry Brendaman, but for that price, it should be perfect. I think many of the fine jewelers that advertise/participate on PS would want it that way for their customers as well. I have also noticed the shoddy bezeling in the legacy settings. People shouldn't make excuses for Tiffany. They charge a significant markup, so you should get something of substantial quality, metalwork as well. Besides, the legacy stones are recut in the patented legacy cut, and having a native cut should not be an excuse for shoddy bezeling.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Regarding that ring it could be a number of things, maybe even something with the light reflecting off of the metal. And regarding Tiffany, all I can say is that I''ve never even seen their merchandise in person, but the fact that I rarely find their pieces in books/articles dealing with excellence of creativity, design or craftmanship says more than enough. Their prices sound outrageous and they''d have to hire the queen of England to personally make me that ring in order for me to pay 20k. I think I also heard somewhere that their silver citrine rings are in the region of 800$ - I''d agree in case of a 10ct+ stone. Of course, brands have their value and all their ads sure cost money. Also branded jewellery is easier to sell (in case you need cash), but sometimes it''s no guarantee of quality workmanship, eventhough it should be.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen the Tiffany Legacy rings at the store on several occasions and I had always thought the milgraining was crappy. Sorry, but I don''t think it is poor photography. The milgraining is uneven in most of their rings.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Another, look at the top left:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=21772747&mcat=148206&cid=288199&search_params=s+5-p+2-c+288199-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

and another, the cushion outline of the ring on the outside does not match the cushion shape of the gemstone:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=22349473&mcat=148206&cid=288199&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+288199-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

and another, the tiny prongs on the left hand side:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=23298627&mcat=148206&cid=288199&search_params=s+5-p+3-c+288199-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

or perhaps I am just fussy. It is a gorgeous desigh, but I don''t think it is well executed in many cases.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know.........I think it''s just the photos if you ask me. I am the pickiest of picky people when it comes to ANYTHING and especially my jewelry. I have a lot of Tiffany jewelry and everything looks flawless to me. And I really look at stuff too. I don''t just put it on and deal with it. If something was wrong, I''d know.

I''ve never tried the Legacy''s on so I cant really comment. But I have however tried on the Legacy wedding band and the milgrain was perfect if you ask me.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 1:22:12 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
I don''t know.........I think it''s just the photos if you ask me. I am the pickiest of picky people when it comes to ANYTHING and especially my jewelry. I have a lot of Tiffany jewelry and everything looks flawless to me. And I really look at stuff too. I don''t just put it on and deal with it. If something was wrong, I''d know.

I''ve never tried the Legacy''s on so I cant really comment. But I have however tried on the Legacy wedding band and the milgrain was perfect if you ask me.
The wedding bands and earrings are fine. It is the cushion cut rings that does not seemed well set.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I''ll have to check that out on my next trip out there.
2.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL: It is funny you should bring this topic up. I don''t have this setting, but I own a Tiffany 3 stone ring. Blue sapphire in the middle with two diamonds on the side, before my PS days. The diamonds are a bit blurry. If I had to do it again, I would not had bought one.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My diamond from a little hole in the wall jeweler was throwing off more fire than the tiffany solitaires the last time I wandered in to ogle.....

ETA: I find many of their rings beautiful.... and I WILL own something from Tiffany someday... but I don't think Tiffany is the be all and end all of jewelry.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Rather buy that than the rubellite on the same page...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all for myself, and only to give to a young girl perhaps, and only if it cost no more than $100.

I'm not sure how much the British pound is next to the US dollar, but I would guess that's around $1500. If the ring and materials and labor cost around $100 tops, how much of a markup is that, like 1,500%? The amethyst cost $5 tops, you're really paying for the gold. That's a more horrendous markup than the legacy IMO.

If Paloma Picasso wasn't the daughter of a super famous artist, do you think she would sell these designs?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 3:39:38 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Rather buy that than the rubellite on the same page...
It''s not cut right, or it''s crooked, or is it just me?????

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I''ve never noticed the poor workmanship, but then again, I''ve never really looked for it either.

One thing I have noticed that I like about Tiffany is the color and saturation on many of their larger colored stone pieces. I''m not an expert by any means, but I find many of them truly lovely when I see them in the store.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 3:58:14 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Hmmm...I've never noticed the poor workmanship, but then again, I've never really looked for it either.

One thing I have noticed that I like about Tiffany is the color and saturation on many of their larger colored stone pieces. I'm not an expert by any means, but I find many of them truly lovely when I see them in the store.
Many of them are also treated. When I was there last, I thought their aquas had a distinct greyish mask, and they were not at all the saturated vivid colors you typically see in their books.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe that''s the way Paloma designed it. There isn''t anything wrong with the prongs on my new amethyst pendant. I checked when I got it.......

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs on all of those sugar stack rings look "off" to me.

That love puzzle ring, on the other hand... well, I wouldn''t mind at all having one of those.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 2:30:52 PM
Author: geckodani
My diamond from a little hole in the wall jeweler was throwing off more fire than the tiffany solitaires the last time I wandered in to ogle.....
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
That hurt.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 4:00:12 PM
Maybe that''s the way Paloma designed it. There isn''t anything wrong with the prongs on my new amethyst pendant. I checked when I got it.......
I like the craftsmanship on their silver pieces much better, and I think your amethyst is a much nicer one than the one depicted in the 18K gold sugar stack ring.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 4:03:26 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/9/2009 4:00:12 PM
Maybe that's the way Paloma designed it. There isn't anything wrong with the prongs on my new amethyst pendant. I checked when I got it.......
I like the craftsmanship on their silver pieces much better, and I think your amethyst is a much nicer one than the one depicted in the 18K gold sugar stack ring.
Thank you.
5.gif

I really do think that Paloma may have designed it that way as she has several 'funky' designs...ETA- I don't like the Sugar Stack rings anyway (just so you know)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
What I wonder is how Paloma Picasso can possibly say that a cabochon set in a plain 4 prong setting is an original design.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 4:11:23 PM
Author: Kismet
What I wonder is how Paloma Picasso can possibly say that a cabochon set in a plain 4 prong setting is an original design.
ROTFLMAO!! I know, it reminds me of those rings you get in the gumball machines as a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results