shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you bite your tongue about . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 4:11:23 PM
Author: Kismet
What I wonder is how Paloma Picasso can possibly say that a cabochon set in a plain 4 prong setting is an original design.
Crooked prongs maybe?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 4:15:46 PM
Author: Dreamgirl

Date: 1/9/2009 4:11:23 PM
Author: Kismet
What I wonder is how Paloma Picasso can possibly say that a cabochon set in a plain 4 prong setting is an original design.
Crooked prongs maybe?
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany's annoys me.

So does Coach (the purse people).

So glad you brought this up.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Hey - I got a great purse for my MIL at a Coach outlet (just don''t tell her it was an outlet).
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
There have been some recent threads about Tiffany quality. Just type it into the search box.

I''m pretty ambivalent about it, but I like handmade jewelry primarily.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Normally I don't do this but I can't help myself:

Date: 1/9/2009 5:17:43 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Tiffany's annoys me.

So does Coach (the purse people).

So glad you brought this up.
Why do they ANNOY you? And what's your problem with Coach? I have plenty of Coach handbags and they are all made with great quality. I've never had one fall apart on me yet.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 4:00:56 PM

Date: 1/9/2009 2:30:52 PM
Author: geckodani
My diamond from a little hole in the wall jeweler was throwing off more fire than the tiffany solitaires the last time I wandered in to ogle.....
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
That hurt.
Didn't mean it too, LOL. I still lust after owning something from Tiffany's - I just noticed that my 'lil blinger was out performing some of the solitaires.
5.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 9:20:33 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hey TL..I would guess that particular ring, its more the quality of the photo - but I could be wrong.

I''m not going to beat you, as I have a similiar confession..
I had Never been in a Tiff''s store or owned anything of theirs..when a store finally opened in my city last year, I was super excited.
I went on one of the first days, and it was madness - ppl were buying so much stuff. But I was left...decidedly underwhelmed, I guess you could say?
Lol, guess that means I deserve a slap too ....?
emembarrassed.gif
Ditto to being underwhelmed.

While they have the unique ability to design some timeless settings; their quality is often no better. Case in point: my friend has an actual Tiffany bracelet; I have the "Tiffany-inspired" version from another source. Hers doesn''t look more expensive, yet it was $300+ and mine was less than $50. Both are sterling. She paid for the name.

I''m sure there are some items, which cannot be bought elsewhere, which are highly desired. I love the Lucida diamond ring; if money was no object, perhaps I would own it. If you just can''t find a comparable design, and won''t be happy with an almost, buy at Tiffany. Otherwise, save those extra dollars.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A person in RT was asking where he could reproduce a particular Tiffany setting for less $$. Several people came back to him with not only similar styles to that ring, but much nicer workmanship and more detailing. Out of all the rings, I thought the T&Co one was the most bland.

ETA: I bought a cheapo 14K copy of the Lucida setting with a cz in it a long time ago. It's duplicated everywhere.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do! I hope I don't sever my tongue one day.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 10:10:08 PM

Date: 1/9/2009 4:00:56 PM

Date: 1/9/2009 2:30:52 PM
My diamond from a little hole in the wall jeweler was throwing off more fire than the tiffany solitaires the last time I wandered in to ogle.....
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
That hurt.
Didn't mean it too, LOL. I still lust after owning something from Tiffany's - I just noticed that my 'lil blinger was out performing some of the solitaires.
5.gif
Dreamgirl, I'm sure nobody intends these comments to be offensive - after all, we are not critiquing any particular piece of jewellery that a mbr owns. Just a general discussion. Of course, you are just as much entitled to your opinion - I just wouldn't want to see your feelings hurt as I know how much you like Tiff's.

Personally, I adore your amethyst pendant and think the workmanship on that piece is very fine.
5.gif

BTW, lol about the PP sugar rings - I've never really looked that close, but those stones are average.
I'd rather take my well cut gem and have it set in a nicer handmade ring of that style on etsy, for a fraction of the price!
3.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 3:44:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Not at all for myself, and only to give to a young girl perhaps, and only if it cost no more than $100.

I''m not sure how much the British pound is next to the US dollar, but I would guess that''s around $1500. If the ring and materials and labor cost around $100 tops, how much of a markup is that, like 1,500%? The amethyst cost $5 tops, you''re really paying for the gold. That''s a more horrendous markup than the legacy IMO.

If Paloma Picasso wasn''t the daughter of a super famous artist, do you think she would sell these designs?
I wonder that too. BTW, what was there to design in this ring? I mean, shouldn''t "designer jewellery" have something unusual, creative, original (besides the price tag), unexpected, interesting...?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 4:20:48 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 1/9/2009 3:44:28 PM

Not at all for myself, and only to give to a young girl perhaps, and only if it cost no more than $100.

I''m not sure how much the British pound is next to the US dollar, but I would guess that''s around $1500. If the ring and materials and labor cost around $100 tops, how much of a markup is that, like 1,500%? The amethyst cost $5 tops, you''re really paying for the gold. That''s a more horrendous markup than the legacy IMO.

If Paloma Picasso wasn''t the daughter of a super famous artist, do you think she would sell these designs?
I wonder that too. BTW, what was there to design in this ring? I mean, shouldn''t ''designer jewellery'' have something unusual, creative, original (besides the price tag), unexpected, interesting...?
All I know is that I designed these rings, so nobody better steal my original designs!!!
emsmilep.gif

noveltyrings.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 8:58:30 AM

All I know is that I designed these rings, so nobody better steal my original designs!!!
emsmilep.gif
Good one
2.gif

BTW, in THIS book review Richard W. Wise (who, since, rose in my eyes even more) puts the work of Paloma Picasso where it belongs.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree...but that just might be because, as a college student, the people that I see owning Tiffany''s are the snobby rich girls, who only seem interested in things with big names on them. You know the type...they HAVE to have the in bag, they HAVE to have a Tiffany necklace, they HAVE to have a luxury car...I saw one of my old roommate''s friends who has a tiffany engagement ring, and it wasn''t any better than any other diamond ring I''d seen, but it was from Tiffany''s so it was all that mattered.

Once again, I''m probably biased, but I don''t really see the big deal about Tiffany''s, when you could get the same thing or better for much less.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am unlikely to ever own anything expensive from Tiffany''s since I know how to have something custom made at better quality for a lower price. But I will have to say that my Legacy wedding band has PERFECT milgraining and I wouldn''t have bought it if it didn''t! I loved it and it was worth it to me. I didn''t want a cheap imitation. I would have been perfectly happy with a Leon version, but I couldn''t handle a custom order/no return situation. I wanted to try on the ring with the e-ring before making a decision on width, height, etc. I wasn''t in Tiffany''s to buy a band, but it was so gorgeous, my hubby said to go ahead and get it.

I love traditonal, elegant and simple pieces, so I do use Tiffany for inspiration. But I''d have Leon or Maytal Hannah make those pieces for me with superior stones that I have chosen. The only big thing I really have left on my wishlist is a sapphire and diamond rhr, most likely a 3 stone. So I''d never consider Tiffany unless it is second hand. Which reminds me, my hubby did buy me a Tiffany eternity ring from SP during the holidays which I returned because it was just too big for me. But it was perfection as well. I think any handmade jewelry is going to have some slight imperfections and if you look hard enough, you''ll find those in Leon and Maytal''s work, too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS2006,
I just wonder if the millgraining was perfect on the band, and other people have mentioned that the millgraining was perfect on their bands from Tiff as well, then why wouldn''t it be as nice on the Legacy with the center stones? There seems to be inconsistancy in quality there, but who knows for sure. I know handmade pieces have inperfections, see it all the time, but I don''t expect those imperfections to be overwhelmingly evident to the piece like they are in the store and print ads. While Tiffany does have some nicely made and fine quality merchandise, I find it''s not consistant quality. For what you are paying, the consumer should demand more.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I feel like I am going to be the one beaten over the head!! I have nothing against Tiffany as long as people know what they are paying a premium for. I own a few Tiffany pieces (silver, gold, platinum) but nothing with stones in them. I like them and wear them on a regular basis. But as described above .. I am one of those crazy purse people (I hate Coach though).

In terms of e-rings, I have learnt to keep my mouth shut. A large majority of my friends have Tiffany e-rings and it isn''t worth it to get into fights over it. Most agree that they are paying a premium for the name and it is worth it to them. The process is simple and they know they will get something that is "good" enough. There is no risk of getting crap.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 11:17:13 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

I think any handmade jewelry is going to have some slight imperfections and if you look hard enough, you''ll find those in Leon and Maytal''s work, too.
I agree that there will be imperfections. Sometimes even from the "best", you don''t have to look hard to find them. You just have to know what you are getting into. With Tiffany - you walk in and you can walk out with something nice. With custom design, there will be stress and anxiety. For many, the lack of stress is worth paying for. Tiffany is not likely to disappear in a few years whereas you never know when you go to a smaller shop or designer.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 11:17:13 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I think any handmade jewelry is going to have some slight imperfections and if you look hard enough, you'll find those in Leon and Maytal's work, too.

Yup--no jewelry is perfect, and perfection also depends on one's own perception of it.

Quality, on the other hand, is an easier concept for me. When one pays a premium, one should expect that premium's level of quality. I'm not too keen on paying a premium for reduced quality--just so someone somewhere can make a fatter profit. I see this in many industries.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
emsmilep.gif
I actually like them as fun rings.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

emsmilep.gif

Oh, I''ve seen these before...
2.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I often bite my tongue about T & Co. I have a couple of pieces from them that were gifts, but the last straw as to whether I would ever buy from them myself or not (unless I NEEDED a Legacy cut diamond) was when I was in a local store with my husband, and the SA was ooh'ing and aah'ing about my BB LOGR setting while we were looking at Novos.

And then she asked, "How did you get it with prongs? Must have been a special order." I told her it was not a Tiffany piece at that point, and she seemed surprised. I mean, come on. I can tell that this setting isn't a Legacy from the end of my arm. Surely a woman who sees them day in and day out should have noticed that my halo is bulkier, has prongs, and a Mozambique tourmaline that doesn't carry the same green colour of their stock green tourmaline Legacies.

Plus, my ring cost a total of $450 to put together.
3.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Wow Lauren! That''s crazy that the SA didn''t know the difference!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 11:28:24 PM
Author: arjunajane

Dreamgirl, I'm sure nobody intends these comments to be offensive - after all, we are not critiquing any particular piece of jewellery that a mbr owns. Just a general discussion. Of course, you are just as much entitled to your opinion - I just wouldn't want to see your feelings hurt as I know how much you like Tiff's.

Personally, I adore your amethyst pendant and think the workmanship on that piece is very fine.
5.gif
Oh, I know that! I just feel that someone needs to defend the place. It's my favorite store and I don't feel it deserves to be talked badly about without someone defending it. So I'll do it then. I don't care. I noticed when someone complained about Leon.......the thread was removed. How so very lovely. But nobody will stand up for Tiffany's. I'll fight till the death if I have to.
2.gif

Thank you for the compliment on my amethyst
4.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 10:01:12 AM
Author: AllieGator
I have to agree...but that just might be because, as a college student, the people that I see owning Tiffany's are the snobby rich girls, who only seem interested in things with big names on them. You know the type...they HAVE to have the in bag, they HAVE to have a Tiffany necklace, they HAVE to have a luxury car...I saw one of my old roommate's friends who has a tiffany engagement ring, and it wasn't any better than any other diamond ring I'd seen, but it was from Tiffany's so it was all that mattered.

Once again, I'm probably biased, but I don't really see the big deal about Tiffany's, when you could get the same thing or better for much less.
Just so you know......that is not always the case. Sometimes, but not always. I've never been rich and I am nowhere near a snob. I just really like Tiffany and their designs. So, I'm living proof that good girls have Tiffany too
2.gif

That's it. I am un-biting my tongue since everyone else is....I'm tired of everyone COPYING Tiffany. Can't they come up with their own original designs if they want to go custom? THAT annoys me...
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 2:41:14 PM
Author: coatimundi
I seem to elude T & Co. SAs.

During my wedding at The Bellagio, I was making a major purchase of gifts for my family, and gave my ring to the SA there to clean. He came back and said "I''ve never seen a cushion like that". When I responded that it was an Asscher, he said "Must be some kind of new cut. I''ve never heard of it."

I mean, I understand proprietary cuts and all, but that''s no excuse for a decently well-paid SA to not know the basic shapes that exist outside of the T & Co. world. If he was a good SA (and interested in making additional sales), he would have said "Your Asscher reminds me of the T&Co. Legacy cut. Have you seen it? I also think our e-w baguette weding band would go perfectly with it."

Or something of that nature.
3.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 3:11:04 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Date: 1/10/2009 2:41:14 PM

Author: coatimundi

I seem to elude T & Co. SAs.

During my wedding at The Bellagio, I was making a major purchase of gifts for my family, and gave my ring to the SA there to clean. He came back and said ''I''ve never seen a cushion like that''. When I responded that it was an Asscher, he said ''Must be some kind of new cut. I''ve never heard of it.''

I mean, I understand proprietary cuts and all, but that''s no excuse for a decently well-paid SA to not know the basic shapes that exist outside of the T & Co. world. If he was a good SA (and interested in making additional sales), he would have said ''Your Asscher reminds me of the T&Co. Legacy cut. Have you seen it? I also think our e-w baguette weding band would go perfectly with it.''

Or something of that nature.
3.gif

Wow! more SA crazy talk!

That''s um...bad, and just weird! How could one not recognize an asscher? or at least refer to it as a square emerald.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of what you pay for with Tiffany is the name, but I also think that their quality can be top notch. I was in the tiffany at Ceaser''s in Vegas a few weeks back and they had the most beautiful deep purple sapphire legacy that I was drooling on. I checked that setting inside and out and everything was straight and looked absolutely perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results