shape
carat
color
clarity

How I got my Tiffany ring for less than I would have paid online/at the mall!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
This story rocks! I''m really surprised (and happy for you!) that they gave you the platinum setting back. Now you can make someone else happy by letting her have a Tiffany ring at a fraction of the price!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
It''s lovely! Congrats.

I always think of yellow gold when I think of a classic Tiffany solitaire. I really do like it in yellow.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
Please post more pictures!!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how I missed this thread, but what a story!! I think somewhere in the middle of reading the thread, I clapped (while sitting in my cube) for you! You did a fantastic job! Maybe some wouldn''t want to bother with all the work, but I definitely would have to save several thousand dollars! Then again, I''d find the whole thing to be fun because I''m a bit of a nut about bargains :) You should absolutely share this story--I would never think you or your fiance were cheap, I would think you were both smart, resourceful people. I did something similar when DH bought my ring (we waited until the ring was going to auction and ended up getting it for about $10K less than the original price)--I actually find the bargain part of the story to be interesting, haha. Besides, DH IS cheap, it''s one of the things I admire about him!

Anyway, congrats again! I really do love the gold and hope you get as much as you can for the original Tiffany setting!!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 3:13:51 PM
Author: gaby06
30.gif
30.gif
Please post more pictures!!!

+1

And I love the yellow gold, too! It reminds me of the vintage Tiffany rings women of my mother''s generation wore (1950''s).

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a story and such an amazing deal!! Also such a gorgeous new setting, enjoy it and wear it well! Would love to see more pics!
Good luck on selling the platinum setting, I''m sure it will sell right away!
2.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Great job bargain hunting! The final ring is gorgeous, I love the yellow gold.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
I love a good bargain story and this is a whooper! Congrats on your beautiful Tiffany ering!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you seem VERY clever - it looks lovely on your hand - love the yg - very classic

(put your handshot on "show me the ring")

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, great story! Congrats!

I love YG as well and can understand paying extra to get it! Don''t worry, we''ll be seen as fashion forward in a few years when it makes its comeback

2.gif

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Oops, looks like they took my post down because I linked to my auction. My bad.

Anyway---Tiffany gave me back the Platinum setting when they gave me the new gold ring. Happy about that, hoping to pull in at least $600 for that! Makes the bargain even better.

Here are some pics, since those were taken down. Thanks for the kind words!

IMG_1085.jpg

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Not only bravo on the whole deal but as a yellow gold lover, I commend you on that as well.

Kimmaay

Rough_Rock
Nice work! I''m a lover of yellow gold too.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Oh congrats! You should have a side business helping people make their dreams more affordable, for a modest fee, perhaps you can pay off your wedding or even get a down payment on a home that way.
I love the yellow gold, show us the bands too!

Off to see if I can find your setting auction, I have to watch it and see how high it goes.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
WOW, You go girl! The ring is beautiful!

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Hmm...maybe I should go into business doing this. :) I just got my fiancee a great deal on an almost new car---it is just so fun to do these things! I wish I had more time.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I''ll have to post back with the final out of pocket cost when it is all said and done. If I get $600 for the platinum band on eBay, the total out of pocket cost for both the Tiffany engagement ring *and* both our Tiffany wedding bands will be just about $2500!

As for telling people, well, that is what Pricescope is for (and I really appreciate having the outlet!) I told one of my friends who was a little iffy about the idea that I picked out the ring and got it on eBay (she''s young and I guess she thought it should be a surprise). Still, I didn''t like her reaction. I really would rather tell people, but my fiancee would feel uncomfortable if I did. He feels bad that he couldn''t afford to do better, and I do think people would be snobby about it (not that *I* care, but he might). I feel like it would be silly to have paid any more! But I''ll defer to his wishes.

I can''t believe that the original cost of this ring (around $8000) is more than what he just paid for a practically brand new car ($7500 for a ''08 Hyundai Accent with 5500 miles on it--beat that!). I love looking at it and I think it is pretty, but I just couldn''t imagine actually having $8k on my finger. I would feel bad if he had actually paid that much!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps me and my friends are different - we always love bragging about deals and getting a kick out of it. None of us are impressed by .. I paid a ton of money for X .. but we are always excited when we say "I got this for such a steal .."

Tell us about your car deal! I want to hear it.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
Me too! We need a new car. Hubby has a little sports car - a gazillion years and 3 kids later and none of our kids have even been in that car. We need another vehicle that rides at least 5 people.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I think its better to brag about a deal than to brag about how much you can throw away.

Now, lets see what you can do about a wedding dress, photography, and the like in the same inexpensive way.

(FWIW, I am wearing only one piece of jewelry that is new, most of mine has been bought used and I love the fact I can have more on my modest salary that way. I just feels good)

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Wedding will be cheap cheap cheap!!! I can't imagine spending a lot of money on that. I just want to go off somewhere with him and get it done on our own, and then have a reception back home (outdoor, catered BBQ, casual). If we are going to spend money on anything it will be an amazing trip. I'm not frugal about everything, but I don't spend money on things that aren't important to me. For example, I've done a lot of traveling and it isn't unusual for me to pay $6 for a hostel and then $80 for an amazing meal that same night.

The car deal was remarkably easy. His car broke down for good a few days ago, and I found the deal through some intense Craigslist hunting and closed within a day. The guy lived out in the middle of nowhere, worked crazy hours, and just wasn't especially concerned with selling, otherwise the car would have been gone immediately. He could have sold it for 10k if he had done a better job of advertising it. I talked him down from his asking $8k to $7500, but really $9k would have still been a great deal. The car is basically new--5500 miles, clean title, and it has good options (MP3, power doors, AC, automatic) for what can be a really basic model. Used car prices are super high right now too. The same car would be $12-13k at a dealer. In 2004 I bought a Hyundai from a dealer, less than two years old and about 9k miles on it, for $5799 plus tax/license. That involved a lot of high pressure negotiation, bait and switch from the dealer, tears, and walking out/coming back in (which I love to do, but still is stressful). This new one was easy--I negotiated/set it up via email, my fiancee just had to meet him at the bank to transfer title. Very smooth. Be careful about salvage titles and offers to ship cars (the latter is always a scam) on Craigslist, but other than that there are some decent deals. Just not very many. I think the cash for clunkers program reduced the supply of used cars and the recession has increased the demand, and all of that has driven up prices. My main concern with this car was to get something cheap that wouldn't cost much to drive or maintain on a yearly basis. Hyundais have a 60k bumper to bumper warranty, so this is still well within that. He should be able to get another 120k miles out of it before the trans poops out (that's what happened to mine), but I'm guessing he'll want to swap it out sooner than that for something nicer once things are looking up financially. I think it is adorable though.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
If you hear the words ''lifetime fluid'' or ''service free'' on an automatic, run to an independent shop and have the fluid and filter changed every 50k.

My cars are beetles, with an 01M automatic, considered the worst VW has ever made. DH has had to replace his transmission twice in his beetle, he followed dealer recommended service. I am on my original transmission. Same engine codes, same transmission code, both cars have over 220K. You might be able to get 200K out of your bargain car, and not have to hunt another one for quite a long time.

IRL, I think you and I would be friends.

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
What a fantastic deal! I love finding deals on E-bay and have become rather seasoned at it but this is amazing!!! You muat feel so proud! I find my friends are more leary and would rather pay full price but I love a good bargain. Congrats on your gorgeous ring!!!!!!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
very pretty ring and very impressive bargain hunting - both my husband and I love a bargain - it''s kind of a game in our lives !

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
My very first car was a brand new manual ''99 Hyundai Accent. I LOVED that car! We rode that thing ''til the wheels fell off.
10.gif

Lola0918

Rough_Rock
Have you ever read "The Millionairre Next Door"? This is exactly the kind of thing that will allow you to enjoy the finer things in life and still contribute to your own personal wealth. You strike me as an extremely resourceful, motivated and intelligent woman that knows how to use your creativity and courage to your benefit.
ANd, you have a beautiful ring to prove that!!! KUDOS!!!!
emthup.gif

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I''ll have to check that book out. I certainly hope to become quite wealthy, and I think I will. I''m always looking for opportunities to buy low and sell high, even with the little capital I have, and I am hoping to use my income as an attorney to fund larger investments.

The setting sold for $1150! After eBay/Paypal fees are deducted, with that added onto the savings, I think -everything- will come out to just under $2000---the engagement ring and two wedding bands! The retail at Tiffany would have been about $10k. I love it!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Wow .. I just saw what you ebay auction ended at. You scored a major deal!!

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 4:09:03 PM
Author: hazelstone
I''ll have to check that book out. I certainly hope to become quite wealthy, and I think I will. I''m always looking for opportunities to buy low and sell high, even with the little capital I have, and I am hoping to use my income as an attorney to fund larger investments.

The setting sold for $1150! After eBay/Paypal fees are deducted, with that added onto the savings, I think -everything- will come out to just under $2000---the engagement ring and two wedding bands! The retail at Tiffany would have been about $10k. I love it!
Well done! I''m extremely impressed.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Here you go!

Will post on Show me the Ring as well.

Playing with my cameraphone, lots of rainbow pics. Thanks again for all the kind words and support!

**Link removed by moderator. Per PS policies we do not allow outside photo hosting links in order to reduce broken links and protect privacy. Please upload photos directly to the forums**

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results