shape
carat
color
clarity

How I got my Tiffany ring for less than I would have paid online/at the mall!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 6:03:29 PM
Author: hazelstone
I''m pretty confident about the ring. Bought from the original owner (not a pro) and her info checked out through a Google search. It includes all docs (original certificate, revaluation, boxes, etc.), it is only two years old and it is laser inscribed. I''m taking it right in to T''s so if there is a problem it will be found out right away, and the seller knows this. Paypal/eBay buyer protection should cover in case of any problems. Not foolproof, but I''m not worried.
Hi,

Can you post a picture of the ring as it is right now? Then later after it''s reset, post a new photo so we can see how the different metals look with the same diamond?

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I will ask about the band, but I doubt they will let me keep it. They don''t want the bands out there being sold to people who will mount non-T diamonds (and then maybe resell those). $450 for transforming a "used" ring into a "brand new" ring, including sizing, in the metal I want, seems like a decent deal. I wouldn''t think so if I were paying full price though. ;-)

I saw today T sells gift cards to those who have business accounts with them at a 15% discount. So, another way to save if you know someone, or can get a business account.

I will post B/A photos.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on all your hard work!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why didn''t you want the plat?

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I just really like gold. Looks timeless and classic. Play just looks like metal to me. I was really surprised when T told me how few 18k set rings they had. The store I called had only one on hand.

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Not sure I would recommend your method to all. I think you got lucky with good pricing from the person who sold you the $5000 worth of Tiff cards for $3000 to buying an ER off ebay, selling GC''s to another organization. Lots of places to get scammed. Anyway congrats, looking forward to seeing before and after pics. Best of luck on your engagement.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really did well! Has the ring arrived yet? I''d love to see before and after photos.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
What? Why would they get to keep the old band? That is completely ridiculous. Is it really worth having a little Tif. stamp inside your band to pay that price for a gold reset and then NOT get to keep the original band? Tif. is such a racket, I really don''t understand why people are so gaga over them.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Considering a quality Tiffany replica in 18K goes for $900-1000, I don''t think it would be reasonable to expect Tiffany to charge $550 for a reset AND let the customer keep the platinum mount. I don''t know, this sort of trade-in deal seems reasonable to me--she''s giving them the platinum in exchange for say $500 off the price of a new band.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Actually I''m glad Tiffany doesn''t let people keep the band on a reset. Can you imagine how the fake market would be flooded with scammers taking a Tiffany ring, having it reset and then setting the old setting with a different diamond! Sorry but that makes alot of business sense.

Congrats again OP, can''t wait to see your ring!

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
It is a bit sketchy, but they can get away with it.

It originally came up in the context of me wanting to buy a new ring. They told me there would be a $450 charge to reset a plat ring into a gold. I asked if I were to be refunded the difference between plat/gold and they said no. I asked why, and they said the charge was for the labor, not the setting (which was "melted down to waste.") So I asked why I couldn''t keep the band--oh, that isn''t their "policy." And between customer service and two different stores, I was told three different things. (1) That for new buyers there would be no resetting charge when you buy the ring (and no discount on the changed setting), (2) that there would be a resetting charge of $450 even for a new purchase (but she offered to "waive" that as a "favor," since I was given conflicting information by the first person I spoke with...) and (3) that the resetting is free if done within a year of purchase. To be fair, they probably aren''t used to people asking a lot of difficult questions. The impression I get is that their customer base primarily consists of the "smile and nod and sign here when told to and your girlfriend will be very happy and put out for at least six weeks post blue-box" type.

I do think you should at least get some kind of discount between what the original band cost and what the new band cost--because it costs the same to change from gold to plat as from plat to gold and that just doesn''t smell right. I''m not going to make a huge deal about it because I don''t think there is much difference between their real cost for plat/gold. The plat v. gold wedding bands are only a difference of $125--I assume the metal content in the settings is similar.

Again, this was one of the reasons I was turned off of buying my diamond ring new from them--I stopped seeing much value in doing that and became less trustful of their methods in general. Plus it was really annoying that they advertise online that 1 ct rings sell from $7300 while knowing that they never have anything in that price range available. I know they like to have people look at the sparkly rings in the pretty settings in-store, but there should be a stock of loose diamonds available for people who know what they want. I think it is probably a good place to go if you have money and no idea what you are doing (and you don''t *really* care what you are spending, as long as you get something nice) but a terrible route for someone like me who likes to haggle and get the best deal.

And honestly, I was not impressed with their customer service. I expected better--a little more deference at least. One woman was downright rude. They are probably better than average on the whole, but just like everywhere else they have some good people and some bad. It wouldn''t be troublesome but for the fact that they market their diamond sales as "an experience," and they charge you for that experience. So when the experience isn''t that great, you probably are more bugged than if you had gone to Jaaareds.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 12:38:56 PM
Author: hazelstone
It is a bit sketchy, but they can get away with it.

It originally came up in the context of me wanting to buy a new ring. They told me there would be a $450 charge to reset a plat ring into a gold. I asked if I were to be refunded the difference between plat/gold and they said no. I asked why, and they said the charge was for the labor, not the setting (which was 'melted down to waste.') So I asked why I couldn't keep the band--oh, that isn't their 'policy.' And between customer service and two different stores, I was told three different things. (1) That for new buyers there would be no resetting charge when you buy the ring (and no discount on the changed setting), (2) that there would be a resetting charge of $450 even for a new purchase (but she offered to 'waive' that as a 'favor,' since I was given conflicting information by the first person I spoke with...) and (3) that the resetting is free if done within a year of purchase. To be fair, they probably aren't used to people asking a lot of difficult questions. The impression I get is that their customer base primarily consists of the 'smile and nod and sign here when told to and your girlfriend will be very happy and put out for at least six weeks post blue-box' type.

I do think you should at least get some kind of discount between what the original band cost and what the new band cost--because it costs the same to change from gold to plat as from plat to gold and that just doesn't smell right. I'm not going to make a huge deal about it because I don't think there is much difference between their real cost for plat/gold. The plat v. gold wedding bands are only a difference of $125--I assume the metal content in the settings is similar.

Again, this was one of the reasons I was turned off of buying my diamond ring new from them--I stopped seeing much value in doing that and became less trustful of their methods in general. Plus it was really annoying that they advertise online that 1 ct rings sell from $7300 while knowing that they never have anything in that price range available. I know they like to have people look at the sparkly rings in the pretty settings in-store, but there should be a stock of loose diamonds available for people who know what they want. I think it is probably a good place to go if you have money and no idea what you are doing (and you don't *really* care what you are spending, as long as you get something nice) but a terrible route for someone like me who likes to haggle and get the best deal.

And honestly, I was not impressed with their customer service. I expected better--a little more deference at least. One woman was downright rude. They are probably better than average on the whole, but just like everywhere else they have some good people and some bad. It wouldn't be troublesome but for the fact that they market their diamond sales as 'an experience,' and they charge you for that experience. So when the experience isn't that great, you probably are more bugged than if you had gone to Jaaareds.

I hate to say it, but I generally get this impression from all stores that cater (or hope to cater) to the upper classes, regardless of merchandise - I've found I have to dig pretty deep to get answers, usually - most often I don't get any. There are a couple of SAs at the local Tiffs who are fantastic, and definitely know their stuff - and can say "I don't know, let me find out".. I definitely appreciate that!

Please do post pictures when you get it!

slycatty

Rough_Rock
I tried calling my local Tiffanys and they said there was no way they could transfer ownership in their database. Maybe you had a really nice salesperson or they were able to transfer ownership because you had the ring reset? I''m trying to score a deal like this myself lol :)

I''m trying to see if I can purchase a used ring and redeem it for store credit to be applied to an upgrade. So far Tiffany''s and another local jeweler told me no.

I wonder which jewelers would allow it.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
They can''t replace the name of the original buyer with yours. But they can do the revaluation in your name, which you''ll need for insurance purposes, and that way your name will be on file with them as well.

The plat wasn''t that bad looking in the sunlight, but I still want the gold. Here is the "before" picture--not great, but all I had to take it on was my phone. So much prettier and more glittery in person! Will definitely take better quality photos of the "after."

ringbefore123.jpg

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
As far as the return policy goes, I don't think they would tell you directly that it is okay to return a used ring you bought elsewhere for upgrade credit. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. A lot of rings are bought by parties other than the eventual owner. I would think the best way to do this would be to have a girl go in and ask for it to be done. If a girl calls, and asks if she can take advantage of the upgrade policy for her ring, it makes more sense that she wouldn't be listed as the original buyer. After all, she might have had a divorce and wants to upgrade the ring as a present to herself and to get rid of the ring with bad memories attached.

Keep in mind, as far as I know, T's upgrade policy gives you credit for your purchase price minus a small fee, but you need to buy a diamond double in cost. Which is nice if you spend $1k on a $3k retail diamond on eBay, which gives you $3k credit towards a $6k ring. If you have more to spend, I saw rings in the 12-13k retail range for around $6k online, so you can save a lot, but then you have to be willing to drop another $12k on the ring.

I will ask when I go in about the upgrade program and see what they say. I think you'll get slightly different answers from different people.

Your best bet is to buy a ring with laser inscribing and all the original docs, so when you go in there won't be any questions. If you just go in with the attitude that this is your ring, and you have all the documentation and you want to do X, which is allowed by their policy, they won't necessarily ask questions. And if they do, there are several explanations as to why you might not have been the person on the original bill of sale (didn't have a Tiffany near you so you had your friend buy it, you couldn't afford a ring at the time and your boss generously paid for it and now you want to upgrade it because you'd feel better about it, or just say "it wasn't convenient for me to make the purchase myself at the time," i.e. mind your business...etc...IF they ask)

I think it is wrong of them to treat people who purchase rings on the secondary market like they are unworthy of consideration or attention. It is none of their business how you got your ring, but you own a Tiffany ring and are therefore a customer. Honda dealers don't look down on someone who buys a pre-owned Honda. Tiffany is hurting financially, and they don't want people getting their product without paying their inflated prices. One of the reps went crazy when I asked about bringing a "ring I bought from a friend" in for the resetting. She got very accusative and asked, shocked, YOU AREN'T BUYING IT ONLINE ARE YOU??? She became VERY rude, and I had to press her and ask three or four times about the resetting until she admitted I could do it (but she didn't know why I would want a USED ring, and kept asking if I would come and look at the new ones).

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Hazelstone

Did you bring the ring into Tiffany's yet?

It seems you have a Tiffany setting, how do you know the stone came from Tiffany's? I guess you will have that answer when you bring it in.

I must say, I liked the setting just the way you had it in the picture. Have you thought of having the setting polished, it would look brand new and you would not have to spend money at Tiffany and go through the hassle.

Which YG Tiffany setting are you looking at?

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I''m bringing it in tomorrow. I''m pretty certain of the authenticity. I bought it from the only owner, who was with her fiancee when he bought the ring in 2007. From poking around everything looks legit--plus she knows I''m bringing it directly to Tiffany to have it reset and revalued. The stone is laser inscribed with the serial number, and if there are problems I''ll know within the next two weeks if not tomorrow. But I''d be *very* surprised if there were. Either way, I have credit card/Paypal protection, and I''m lucky enough to have free legal help if it comes to it.

I really want a YG setting, the standard Tiffany setting (the one it has currently) so polishing wouldn''t do much. And it pretty much makes it a brand new ring in my eyes, so the cost isn''t a problem (especially considering how little this cost compared to what he would have paid in the store). I can tell it needs a cleaning, which is kind of good because it already looks great and I can''t wait to see it all cleaned up with the new setting.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif
It''s very pretty

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is very pretty. I like the plat myself. Part of the cache of the ring is ther Tiffany brand, and it will not be as recognizably Tiffany is yellow gold. If you wanted a replica with a non-tiff diamond in yellow, you could have just bought it at a PS vendor for about the same price!

But get what your heart desires, obviously.

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
Sounds like you did great. Best of luck and keep us posted.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I love a great deal and you certainly did very well! The idea of buying a second hand Tiffany ring to trade in has been mentioned here before, but I don''t know that anyone has actually done it and posted about it. I did buy a gorgeous Tiffany eternity ring second hand (but perfect condition) at a terrific price, but I ended up returning it because it was a little too blingy for me. So I am all for buying Tiffany second hand!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m in awe! Congrats on the bargain hunting! I wish I had the patience to do the same...nothing like the feeling of getting a good deal :) I hope everything goes alright! Oh and of course, this is PS, so pics please when you get it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a pretty ring hazelstone!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 8:36:36 AM
Author: Deia
I''m in awe! Congrats on the bargain hunting! I wish I had the patience to do the same...nothing like the feeling of getting a good deal :) I hope everything goes alright! Oh and of course, this is PS, so pics please when you get it!

Oops! I wrote this response and then left it for a bit, didn''t check after I submitted it so didn''t realise you already posted a pic :) It''s very nice! Congrats!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 8:59:13 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Yes, it is very pretty. I like the plat myself. Part of the cache of the ring is ther Tiffany brand, and it will not be as recognizably Tiffany is yellow gold. If you wanted a replica with a non-tiff diamond in yellow, you could have just bought it at a PS vendor for about the same price!

But get what your heart desires, obviously.

Actually, the original 6 prong setting, as designed by Tiffany in the late 19th century, WAS in yellow gold- what sets an original "Tiffany" setting apart from any other solitaire design, is its crown-like head in which the prongs elegantly swoop down to hold the stone. In addition to this is the knife-edge shank. Both of these elements are often imitated, but are never quite duplicated, hence the descriptor "Tiffany Style."

The use of platinum is not a benchmark of Tiffany, but rather its use is a trend of the times (as is any other metal). Collectors and dealers know Tiffany not from the metal that they use, but from the execution of their design.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
It is pretty just as it is. I would not change a thing. I developed an allergy to gold in my 40''s.
I have gradually been getting everything reset into platinum at considerable expense.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
So, I went into Tiffany last night with my ring and the diamond certificate. I bought our wedding bands (4.5mm for him and the knife-edge for me, both in gold, about $1150 together) and had my e-ring sent away for the rebanding/revaluation. They didn''t charge me for the revaluation, just $450 for the rebanding. I decided not to press it, because I didn''t want to have to go into the origin of the ring. The only time that came up was when she filled out the form for me, and I said my fiancee would be picking up the finished product, she started to write the name of the original buyer but I just told her that wasn''t his name and gave his name. I asked the new valuation to be in my name, and no questions were asked.

Gift card worked out fine. I used it for the wedding bands and had the balance broken down into several $500 cards. I am shipping the excess cards to a reputable company which buys them at 80% (Plastic Jungle) on Monday, and they''ll cut me a check. All said and done, the engagement ring and our wedding bands cost a total of $3083 all inclusive. :)

I did ask about the upgrade policy, although not in specific reference to secondary market rings (if you are well informed and have the girl go in, there is no question about this anyway). She said that sometime in the past few years they changed it to apply only to rings upgraded within 5 years of original purchase. If you bought your ring before the policy change, you still can bring it in anytime. You''ll have to check for more specific details, such as when that policy changed, but you get about 90% of the original purchase price applied towards a ring double the value or more of the original purchase price.

Also, to the person who mentioned gold wouldn''t be distinguishable (not that this is why I wanted this ring) but Tiffany gold looks different than regular gold, because they use more silver than copper than most makers. That is why their gold looks so "yellow" without the coppery undertones most gold has. So in that sense, the gold is even more recognizable than the platinum.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Update: Everything worked as planned, and better!

The ring in gold is gorgeous. They cleaned the diamond before the reset and it just looks amazing! So happy with the gold.

Even better---they gave me back the platinum setting! I had been told that I wouldn''t get it, so I wasn''t expecting it and hadn''t asked for it when I actually sent in the ring. But there it was in my bag when I got the ring back! They wrapped it up nicely and gave me a new suede ring box, blue box & ribbon, and a little suede pouch. I am guessing I can sell the platinum setting on eBay for what I paid for the reset!

Will post pics when I get back to a real computer.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That''s wonderful news! I think it definetly worked out perfectly.

I am sure you will get quite a bit on ebay for the setting. So many people look for the Tiffany setting and there are never geninue ones for sale. I suggest you keep it in case you ever want to set another stone in it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an amazing deal! I''m very impressed with all of your hard work, and I''m really glad to hear that it paid off in the end.

I hope the plat setting sells for a whole lot on eBay for you!

Wear your ring in good health and great love.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results