shape
carat
color
clarity

How I got my Tiffany ring for less than I would have paid online/at the mall!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I know this involves a little bragging, but I just can't help it! I'm hoping that someone can get some ideas and maybe snag a deal of their own like this. I was able to get a .82 carat 18k I-VS1 Tiffany setting engagement ring for $2265 after some elbow grease.

My fiance is unemployed at the moment, and feeling depressed that he couldn't get me the ring "I deserved" (even though I said I didn't need one at all!) I know he wanted to get me a ring from Tiffany, and in better economic times he would have easily been able to afford it. I know I could get better diamonds elsewhere, but he'd feel less good about it and I did like the idea of a Tiffany ring. So I put my bargain hunting hat on and went to work to see if it was feasible. Part of this is luck and part is savvy bargaining, but hopefully someone else can learn from my experience.

First, I went to eBay, a favorite hunting ground for me when I need to find a good deal. My problem was, as I found quickly, that no one buys 18k gold erings from Tiffany anymore. All the Tiffany rings were platinum, and I had my heart set on gold. Not to be deterred, I looked around for gift cards to find a way to save some money on buying a new ring. By total chance I found someone listing a $5k "shopping spree" on eBay--eBay doesn't allow gift cards listed over $500 and deletes any listings like this, but this guy did not mention "gift card" anywhere in the auction. And for that reason, no one else looking for gift cards saw this auction--I came across it accidentally while looking for rings. I convinced him to let me do a "buy it now" for his starting bid price ($3000) and went through Bing.com to make the eBay purchase (getting an additional $200 cash back). So here I am with a $5000 gift card that cost me only $2800! Not a bad start.

So now I call Tiffany, all excited, and ask about the 1 ct. round Tiffany setting in 18k gold they list online as "starting at $7300." Unfortunately, they told me that they have very few gold set rings at all, and nothing in platinum in the range I was asking about. The lowest they could do would be $8800 or so, and an extra $450 to have it reset in gold. I asked about .80+ rings and the best they could do was $7000+, not including sales tax. Stumped, I looked back at eBay. I thought that maybe I should just buy a used ring in platinum and pay the $450 to have it set in gold, so I looked around and found a .82 VS1-I, and after a little haggling I bought it for $3015 (with all paperwork, certificates, etc.) I split the $5000 gift card into 10 $500 gift cards, and sold 9 of them online to a gift card buyback company for $400 each. So I ended up coming out of that transaction with a $500 gift card and $800 profit. I am bringing my ring to Tiffany to be reset in a new 18k band and to do a new revaluation in my name, at a total cost of $550. So after all is said and done, our ring cost us just $2265 inclusive of everything! I'm very happy with it, and if he really insists, we have the option of doing the upgrade later on. And it really will be a "new" ring--the setting brand new and perfect, with all the boxes and the valuation in my name. I love making a show of the great deals I get to my friends, but for the sake of my fiance I'm going to have to keep hush about this one. So thanks for listening, and good luck! I learned a lot about diamonds on here and I hope that someone is helped by this.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Another thought I had during this process...

With the upgrade policy, couldn''t one buy a cheap ring on eBay (something small, with original purchase price $3-4k) at a heavy discount (I saw them as little as $700-1500) and "upgrade" it, getting the credit for the original purchase price on the new ring? I think this could be a way to save $1-2k on a Tiffany ring, and combined with some gift card discounts it could mean an even better deal (you can get $500 gift cards for about $400 if you look around). Anyway, with Tiffany being so anti-discount, you need to find a way to cut into that brand markup as much as you can. Be sure to say you "bought it from a friend" if they question you about not being the original owner--I got a lot of attitude from a salesperson ranting about eBay sales like they were the devil. Get the paperwork on the sale too.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, I''m glad you''re thrilled with the ring.

For me the time and effort spent in getting the deal would have offset the savings. Kudos to you for your perseverance!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your great deal which is certainly deserved after the hard work you put in. Can''t wait to see the photos!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Must say this all sounds intriguing but I would like to - just for the sake of understanding it - clarify a couple of things. This ebay ''shopping spree'' - was it for ebay or was it for Tiffany? How did you split it into lower denomination gift cards? Sounds like you really made out and I applaud your skills!

I never knew that Tiffany would reset one of their diamonds into another setting but I guess for a price, it does make sense. That is a very smart way to get a new Tiffany ring - the stone never wears out!

I can''t wait to see pictures of your new ring and most importantly, congrats on your engagement!

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I will post the photos when I get it back. I am a student right now and have a lot of time, but if you can believe it--this took me 20 hours max, including learning about diamonds and grading (from no prior knowledge) and looking at non-Tiffany options, online diamond retailers, reading this board, eBay and everything, over less than a week''s time. This doesn''t include the drive time to the store (about 2 hours from me) but I only needed to make one trip, and it will take 2-3 weeks to get the ring back. I would have to think that is about average for people making diamond purchases--as a lot of people on this board probably know, it is easy to get kind of obsessed over this kind of thing!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
wow-you did a lot of work. Glad it worked out for you!!!

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
It was a $5000 Tiffany Gift card. I used it to buy 10 $500 cards through the Tiffany website, which they sent to me with free shipping. I was a little wary of the large amount, but the guy checked out and Paypal/eBay have good protection programs. That isn''t a deal likely to come up again, although you can usually get about a 10% discount on gift cards over eBay or Craigslist, the higher the amount the better the discount.

I didn''t know about the resetting until I spoke with them and they explained how if I bought a new platinum ring, they would have to send it to NYC to get it reset in a gold setting. The wheels started turning. If I knew about that earlier, I would have just gone directly through eBay. I probably would have done the gift card thing either way because when I saw the price I knew I could turn a profit on those no matter what.

Thanks!

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Also, the Microsoft Bing.com cashback thing is great for all eBay buy it now purchases. You get 10% cashback into your Paypal account for any Buy it Now purchase, up to $200 total cashback per transaction. So I got $200 cashback on the gift cards and $200 on the ring, and saved $200 on a Mac a year or so ago via that. You can use it for smaller gift cards too for an additional discount (buy a $500 gift card for $450, get $45 additional off that through Bing). If you google "bing ebay cashback" it goes into all the details. I also got something like $130 eBay "bucks" (eBay gives a small rebate to purchases now) to be used on a future eBay purchase (didn''t factor that into our end price) and a bunch of hotel points by using my credit card to pay via Paypal.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
23.gif
that''s a lot of hoops!

The most FI and I can be bothered with is the weekly grocery coupons.. consider me impressed!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmm. . .I''m a bit tired. Is this for real or an advertisement for bing.com?

JennyK

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow! Nice job, I would never have even be able to think up that whole process:) I''m glad you were able to get just what you wanted and at a good price too. You deserve it after everything you had to put together to make it happen.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, which Tiffany''s was this? One of my best friends just left a long time position as a sales associate at Tiffany, I''m going to ask her if she''s ever heard of anything like this before!

Please post a picture of your ring.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2010 8:06:52 PM
Author: hazelstone
I will post the photos when I get it back. I am a student right now and have a lot of time, but if you can believe it--this took me 20 hours max, including learning about diamonds and grading (from no prior knowledge) and looking at non-Tiffany options, online diamond retailers, reading this board, eBay and everything, over less than a week''s time. This doesn''t include the drive time to the store (about 2 hours from me) but I only needed to make one trip, and it will take 2-3 weeks to get the ring back. I would have to think that is about average for people making diamond purchases--as a lot of people on this board probably know, it is easy to get kind of obsessed over this kind of thing!

HazelStone: you mention you''re a student currently, and I hope to god it''s in a top-ranked MBA program. Nicely done! I am filled with admiration for your thrift and perseverance. The only part that makes me sort of sad is that you have to keep it on the DL - why, dude? You done good! Your husband-to-be should be PROUD of that, for you, and for how it reflects on him for attracting you!
41.gif

jrob529

Rough_Rock
Funny- I was thinking the same thing. It must the cynic in me.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always been one to be proud of getting the best deal, you surely have succeeded and earned you lovely ring! Enjoy it!

SpareMyWallet

Shiny_Rock
Haha another avid user of slickdeals and fatwallet! I've had my fair share of ebay/bing purchases. I profited $1700(yes profited, i sold the things I bought to craigslist users for the same price) from soley on the cashback i got from live.com(now bing). back then, it was 20-30% cashback up to $200.

good catch !

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Yes, I''ve profited from eBay quite a bit over the years. For the person who asked, not a top MBA program, but a top law school.

The only reason I won''t brag about my deal is because I think he would think that would make him look "cheap," (that he''d have his girl troll eBay for a discount ring). He really does appreciate my good work, and I''m happy with my ring, and even happier that he doesn''t feel bad or too financially irresponsible for getting me a good ring.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Eek, could you take the eBay link down? I don''t want to be "outted." Thanks!

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Yeah, the 10% doesn''t do much now on the selling end, with giftcards, due to the eBay and Paypal fee loss, but during the 30% days it was great.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am confused - that auction ended yesterday. You got all this done yesterday and today. Very impressive and efficient.

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I got pretty much all of it done between then and today! I''m picking up the ring tomorrow and bringing it to T''s to send it off to NY for re-setting. I didn''t even start looking at rings until last week. I didn''t get any homework done this weekend though!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 9:54:23 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I am confused - that auction ended yesterday. You got all this done yesterday and today. Very impressive and efficient.
Is that Feb 7th at 10:43 pm? Technically, Hazelstone only had one business day to have completed the whole thing. Or. . .eh, how does that work? The card was overnighted?

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock

I noticed this too. You must have been very motivated, hazelstone!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 9:58:53 PM
Author: MC

Is that Feb 7th at 10:43 pm? Technically, Hazelstone only had one business day to have completed the whole thing. Or. . .eh, how does that work? The card was overnighted?
Is it the $5k card that was bought last night?

hazelstone

Rough_Rock
I shortened some things to avoid an even lengthier explanation--the card is being split via Tiffany''s own website (you can just use the gift card # to order 10 $500 cards with the gift card) and they are shipping those to me for free due to a promotion they are having (free shipping by V-Day). And I have an offer from PlasticJungle.com to buy them all for $400 each. (Although I''m now considering using two to buy wedding bands) But that is already settled, no matter what I do. I bought the ring via buy it now today, shipping overnight. And I have been on the phone with Tiffany all day (first in the morning to hear the bad news about prices, later to verify the setting stuff and revaluation). So most of my research was last week, but everything went down in the last two days. I''m really happy on the ring deal too--original owner, had it at Buy it Now for $3915, talked her down to $3215, got $200 back with Bing. I''m still kind of rushed about all of it!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It is AM that the auction ended.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 10:04:51 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Is it the $5k card that was bought last night?
Yes.

My thoughts: If a person is going to post all about their experience, I cannot imagine why they will be "outed" with the addition of the ebay listing #.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 10:08:22 PM

It is AM that the auction ended.
Ooops, you''re right. I have no idea why I''m so suspicious!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results