shape
carat
color
clarity

How Does One "Name" a Diamond?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm lame and I name my rings. If I can't come up with a name, I probably won't be keeping it lol. I try to use aspects of the item to pick the name

This is Elsa. She's icy, elaborate like a snowflake, and regal like something a queen would wear.
img_20160831_190824.jpg img_20160831_184522.jpg
This has since been sold but she was lovely unapologetically vintage yet I loved it anyways. Her name was Valerie
IMG_20161106_141733.jpg

This is my soli. She's classically beautiful and vintage. Blonde. And she looks like a crown. Her name is Grace.
PicsArt_06-05-12.16.10.jpg PicsArt_05-20-09.56.19.jpg
"Grace" is my middle name (my initials do not include my middle name-CRM is my first, maiden & married-I'm hyphenated-so I dropped the "G"). Elsa, Valerie & Grace are GORGEOUS!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somerset is another option...Laurel Hill Lake is located in Somerset, PA.
Here is the history of the lake...

IMG_6065.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a fun thread. There are some incredible pictures in here too!

My suggestion would be the same way you buy a diamond, do it in your own personal way.

We just had an heirloom piece designed and produced in my workshop to be featured in promotional glamour shots. It was a collaborative project, mainly guided by a friend to many of the wonderful posters here. When finished it was so marvelous that we had to name it, and held a survey via social media. The chosen name was "Lily" as the gallery had a definite floral look to it. We almost chose “Rose” since the halo was conceived and created in rose gold, and truly stood out, so it seemed very appropriate.

I have to say that many appropriate and beautiful names were submitted. I know John Pollard has a name for his diamond, but I forget what it is. Maybe he will grace us with a visit and tell us.

I just had a Crafted to Order 1.50 ct P color cut for myself. When I finally settle on a mounting for it I will for sure be naming it too. (NO Kenny, it will NOT be Old Yeller.)

Wink

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring is still in the production phase but I've already named her Isabella. I'll explain in more detail when I do a SMTB thread but the gist is that it's a tribute to my Grandmother as the thoughts behind the design mimic many thoughts I have of her ❤️

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somerset would be pretty...Somer for nickname? I think you need to call her each name for a little while and see if any fit her. Its really just a feeling you
have that the name fits the stone and you like the name and what it represents.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somerset would be pretty...Somer for nickname? I think you need to call her each name for a little while and see if any fit her. Its really just a feeling you
have that the name fits the stone and you like the name and what it represents.
I like the idea. You're very clever. ;-)
I'm still interested in what others have to share, as far as following the thread, posting photos & looking for suggestions to name their beauties! Everyone is welcome, here! I hope it will continue to be a useful & helpful thread for quite some time...I know there are others out there who would benefit... :mrgreen:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe I have decided on a name for my lovely lady presented to me at Laurel Hill Lake!!!
A little background...
My DH & I have fought against the odds to keep our relationship strong, and beautiful; we make a really great team. It's been us against the world. We decided to integrate one of our many shared heritages into our wedding ceremony: Celtic Tradition. Our slogan has been "Love Conquers All" because in spite of everything we have been through...every hurdle & challenge life has thrown at us...instead of falling apart, we have grown closer, together. Inside our wedding bands, and on the front of our ceremonial programs, the slogan is written in Irish Gaelic: "Buann gra' gach rud": "Love Wins Everything".
After doing some research, and literal translation from English to Irish Gaelic, I found the Gaelic word for "Water": "Uisce". It's pronounced "Ish-ka". "Lake" is (duh) "Loch". Some how, "Loch" just doesn't fit a diamond...lol...at least not mine!
I believe my Emerald Cut Diamond, presented to me by a man descended (at least, partially) from the Emerald Isles, while on bended knee, on a bridge overlooking a beautiful, still body of water should bear the name it so elegantly, and quite literally represents, both physically, and figuratively: "Uisce".
Ladies & Gentlemen, it is my pleasure to introduce you to my Uisce!!!

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG
Let's not let the fun end here!!!
Please spread the word, and encourage others to find their inspiration, here!!!
Thank you, everyone, for helping me dig deep for the perfect name for my gorgeous, unique EC!!!
I can't wait to see where this thread goes!!! :clap: :appl:
...CRM

Last edited:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just named mine for the first time yesterday lol. She is Mr. Kaplan. I almost went in search of a new Mrs. Kaplan but then I dressed this one in yellow gold and bam she took on a new life :)! She is named after Mr. Kaplan on the Blacklist lol, also a female and a total badass.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just named mine for the first time yesterday lol. She is Mr. Kaplan. I almost went in search of a new Mrs. Kaplan but then I dressed this one in yellow gold and bam she took on a new life :)! She is named after Mr. Kaplan on the Blacklist lol, also a female and a total badass.
"Mr. Kaplan" posing on your kitty's paw caught my eye. In fact, it was another post that grabbed my attention because the ring had been given a name. That was my motivation to start this thread, this morning! I should thank you for contributing to my curiosity, and for motivating me to find a name for my nameless EC!! :mrgreen:
Mr. Kaplan is quite the show stopper, and looks amazing in yellow gold!!!
;-)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This a a great thread! Love the pictures and stories. I name a lot of things (cars, people, stuffed animals) but I haven't named any of my pieces of jewelry. Strange I know.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is Mr. Kaplan
"Mr. Kaplan" posing on your kitty's paw caught my eye. In fact, it was another post that grabbed my attention because the ring had been given a name. That was my motivation to start this thread, this morning! I should thank you for contributing to my curiosity, and for motivating me to find a name for my nameless EC!! :mrgreen:
Mr. Kaplan is quite the show stopper, and looks amazing in yellow gold!!!
;-)
thank you so much!

IMG_2796.JPG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seldom ever name things. Half the time I call my son "the Son" and my daughter "the Daughter". I tend to identify things as they actually are. I named my rock because it is easier than saying "my OEC" every time. The only name I could give it was he person I am reminded of every time I look at it, which is Missy. And because I could not give it the same name I called her MissyK. But that takes too long to say and doesn't roll off the tongue easily. So I shortened it to "MK", which really suits me and is easy to remember. Cool and blunt. I love initials.

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
What a cute topic :) I love Uisce, now that I know how to pronounce it!

I feel silly about it, but when I let myself go, I can have fun naming inanimate objects. I thought about trying to call mine by FH's mom's name since she was the original owner of the stone, but that seemed disrespectful to her. Then while trying to cutely reference the ring to FH, I thought of "La Roca" (Spanish for the rock haha), which seems close enough to a name at the moment.

My cars were named after military leaders, because that's what I needed while in traffic. I never felt compelled to name my current car though, and it's my first Japanese brand car, so now I'm thinking I should try to demonstrate better character by naming it after a Zen master :lol:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cute topic :) I love Uisce, now that I know how to pronounce it!

I feel silly about it, but when I let myself go, I can have fun naming inanimate objects. I thought about trying to call mine by FH's mom's name since she was the original owner of the stone, but that seemed disrespectful to her. Then while trying to cutely reference the ring to FH, I thought of "La Roca" (Spanish for the rock haha), which seems close enough to a name at the moment.

My cars were named after military leaders, because that's what I needed while in traffic. I never felt compelled to name my current car though, and it's my first Japanese brand car, so now I'm thinking I should try to demonstrate better character by naming it after a Zen master :lol:
:lol:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seldom ever name things. Half the time I call my son "the Son" and my daughter "the Daughter". I tend to identify things as they actually are. I named my rock because it is easier than saying "my OEC" every time. The only name I could give it was he person I am reminded of every time I look at it, which is Missy. And because I could not give it the same name I called her MissyK. But that takes too long to say and doesn't roll off the tongue easily. So I shortened it to "MK", which really suits me and is easy to remember. Cool and blunt. I love initials.
Those are my initials!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love naming (and always have from when I was a little girl-haven't many of us?) inanimate objects. My life sized stuffed elephant when I was 3, all my dolls, and everything I could. LOL my first car (and I was already in my 20s at this point so no excuses I guess haha) was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Now that is quite the mouthful.:lol:

I love all the choices PSers have shared with you Matthews1127. The key is find the name that means something to you. That calls to you and says yes this fits just right.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uisce sounds perfect for your stone...Of course when I see "Uisce" I'll never remember to pronounce it IshKa! But you know and thats all that matters.
That's funny, last night I looked up "Lake" in other languages too to see if any were "pretty" but nope... so passed on that idea.

So overnight I decided to name my little OEC (1.06). She is beautiful and she just glows. Her name will be Bella - "related to the Italian and Latin words for beautiful. It is also related to the name Belle, which means beautiful in French."

So, meet Bella!
2016-05-10 14.16.34.jpg

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uisce sounds perfect for your stone...Of course when I see "Uisce" I'll never remember to pronounce it IshKa! But you know and thats all that matters.
That's funny, last night I looked up "Lake" in other languages too to see if any were "pretty" but nope... so passed on that idea.

So overnight I decided to name my little OEC (1.08). She is beautiful and she just glows. Her name will be Bella - "related to the Italian and Latin words for beautiful. It is also related to the name Belle, which means beautiful in French."

So, meet Bella!
2016-05-10 14.16.34.jpg

Bella is wunderbar!:love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GearGirly...Do you have a tread on Mr. Kaplan? If not, you need one...would love to see more pics! Is this the 2.22 OEC from Grace or a different
stone? Anyway, would love to see more pics of her!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

So overnight I decided to name my little OEC (1.06). She is beautiful and she just glows. Her name will be Bella - "related to the Italian and Latin words for beautiful. It is also related to the name Belle, which means beautiful in French."

So, meet Bella!
2016-05-10 14.16.34.jpg

Bella C'est très chic

Wink

Funion

Rough_Rock
I totally get naming your ring. I call my padpatadscha sapphire "Peaches". Not very original but accurate! ;-)

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I think I've found a name. My diamond has transparent internal graining and I looked up the word grain and one of its synonyms is Spark. So I'm thinking Sparkle!? I'm not sure. What do you think? Scintilla also sounds nice. Hmmmm.

IMG_5774.PNG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I think I've found a name. My diamond has transparent internal graining and I looked up the word grain and one of its synonyms is Spark. So I'm thinking Sparkle!? I'm not sure. What do you think? Scintilla also sounds nice. Hmmmm.

IMG_5774.PNG
I like "Scintilla". That's lovely...

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
Uisce, that's perfect. My last name is Ireland! A local Irish couple opened a swanky pub a few years ago in my little town, they too named it Uisce!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The stone from my avatar is named "Sweetie Pie" after the nickname of the original owner (the great aunt of my great aunt)! I actually don't even know her real name because that's all I've ever heard anyone call her!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone from my avatar is named "Sweetie Pie" after the nickname of the original owner (the great aunt of my great aunt)! I actually don't even know her real name because that's all I've ever heard anyone call her!

FullSizeRender.jpg
"Sweetie Pie" is very impressive; absolutely stunning!!
That's such a nice story behind her name!! So "sweet"!! ;-) :mrgreen:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uisce, that's perfect. My last name is Ireland! A local Irish couple opened a swanky pub a few years ago in my little town, they too named it Uisce!
I love it!! That is so amazing, and the name suits an Irish Pub: "Uisce"!!! :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results