carat
color
clarity

How Does One "Name" a Diamond?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Morning!
I have been scrolling & trolling for several months, now, and I've noticed that a lot of PSers have named their diamonds & gemstones. I think it's rather clever, and makes distinguishing one ring from another (esp in photos) easier.
Where do those names come from? Do jewelers already name them? Are they original, given by the owner? How do you choose? It's like naming a child...so many to choose from, so many interesting meanings behind a name. Where do you start?
I'm interested in hearing from those who have named their stones. I'm certain some stories will prove to be very interesting & some, even funny.
I'd actually even like to try to name my own (for photo posting purposes, and a little fun), I just don't even know where to begin!
Input, suggestions, and experience welcome!! :mrgreen:
...CRM

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They usually come from the owner. I only have a name for one of my stones and its "Aloha" because at an SI1 with a loupe you can
see a small chain of inclusions that look like the Hawaiian islands.

I really should think of names for my other 2 stones. I like names... I would be happy to throw out a few names for your stone. An up close pic
would be really helpful. Interesting to know what other people think of when they see your stone.

You could also do a poll if you have it narrowed down to a few names...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They usually come from the owner. I only have a name for one of my stones and its "Aloha" because at an SI1 with a loupe you can
see a small chain of inclusions that look like the Hawaiian islands.

I really should think of names for my other 2 stones. I like names... I would be happy to throw out a few names for your stone. An up close pic
would be really helpful. Interesting to know what other people think of when they see your stone.

You could also do a poll if you have it narrowed down to a few names...
I would love ideas!! Your story is so neat; "Aloha" is amazing!!
I'm leaning on a few names for my EC that fit with our story; my DH proposed on a bridge over a lake. My diamond is extremely clear, like water.
Here are a few photos...

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to name my new diamond but I'm not sure what. I made up a name for the J I returned. Her name was Jae. Lol!
This new diamond is an I so I'm thinking a name that starts with an I. But she is Lovely so I was thinking Lovely would be a good name too. I love the was she looks at Dusk so I was thinking Dusk.
Ahh! Too many choices.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm leaning on a few names for my EC that fit with our story; my DH proposed on a bridge over a lake. My diamond is extremely clear, like water.
Here are a few photos...

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

That is the prettiest EC setting I've ever seen!:love::love::love::love:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to name my new diamond but I'm not sure what. I made up a name for the J I returned. Her name was Jae. Lol!
This new diamond is an I so I'm thinking a name that starts with an I. But she is Lovely so I was thinking Lovely would be a good name too. I love the was she looks at Dusk so I was thinking Dusk.
Ahh! Too many choices.
Kayla...
It's so nice to know I'm not alone in my dilemma...lol!
Please feel free to post photos of your new "I" stone!! Maybe we can help!
I'm so excited to see/share!
...CRM

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kayla...
It's so nice to know I'm not alone in my dilemma...lol!
Please feel free to post photos of your new "I" stone!! Maybe we can help!
I'm so excited to see/share!
...CRM
I did! I just put up a thread in SMTB and also a thread for my new "I" earrings! Help a girl out!! Lol!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few photos...

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG
She's a beauty. She looks very "Regal" to me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm lame and I name my rings. If I can't come up with a name, I probably won't be keeping it lol. I try to use aspects of the item to pick the name

This is Elsa. She's icy, elaborate like a snowflake, and regal like something a queen would wear.
img_20160831_190824.jpg img_20160831_184522.jpg
This has since been sold but she was lovely unapologetically vintage yet I loved it anyways. Her name was Valerie
IMG_20161106_141733.jpg

This is my soli. She's classically beautiful and vintage. Blonde. And she looks like a crown. Her name is Grace.
PicsArt_06-05-12.16.10.jpg PicsArt_05-20-09.56.19.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the prettiest EC setting I've ever seen!:love::love::love::love:
Soxfan...
You just choked me up! Thank you! I love my baby girl. Can you believe her certificate has her listed as an SI2?!??
I think I need to have her appraised!!
...CRM

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm lame and I name my rings. If I can't come up with a name, I probably won't be keeping it lol. I try to use aspects of the item to pick the name

This is Elsa. She's icy, elaborate like a snowflake, and regal like something a queen would wear.
This has since been sold but she was lovely unapologetically vintage yet I loved it anyways. Her name was Valerie
IMG_20161106_141733.jpg

This is my soli. She's classically beautiful and vintage. Blonde. And she looks like a crown. Her name is Grace.
Elsa is perfection!!! Perfect name for a perfect stone!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soxfan...
You just choked me up! Thank you! I love my baby girl. Can you believe her certificate has her listed as an SI2?!??
I think I need to have her appraised!!
...CRM

Love an eye clean SI2!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_20161106_141733.jpg

Gorgeous!!! All so beautiful!!!
:love:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been naming my diamonds since my first one. I remembered when I named Freckles, my pendent, and Dimples, my old OEC, people thought I was being funny/cute.

I've named inanimate objects my whole life. My ex's car was Bob, because I'd say "thanks Bob" every time the car handed me the seat belt. Dimples was named for its culet. Freckles was named for its inclusions.

You name them the same way you'd name a dog. If you feel a connection, you make a name, a character, a mood.. an attitude. Or you can name it in commemoration of something. I made me a feminist strong woman ring that I named after my grand aunt, who was always self reliant and strong.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been naming my diamonds since my first one. I remembered when I named Freckles, my pendent, and Dimples, my old OEC, people thought I was being funny/cute.

I've named inanimate objects my whole life. My ex's car was Bob, because I'd say "thanks Bob" every time the car handed me the seat belt. Dimples was named for its culet. Freckles was named for its inclusions.

You name them the same way you'd name a dog. If you feel a connection, you make a name, a character, a mood.. an attitude. Or you can name it in commemoration of something. I made me a feminist strong woman ring that I named after my grand aunt, who was always self reliant and strong.
Madelise,
I love the idea!! I'm interested in naming mine...
I have a couple in mind, but I'm open to suggestions. The proposal was at Laurel Hill Lake. My diamond is a crystal clear (eye clean) EC...which reminds me of water. I really am focused on that theme for this stone...

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considered "Laurel". I love how Maddam Bijioux has clever, elaborate names for her stones, like: "Old Miss Evil"...lol!
I was thinking of "Lady of the Lake", or...because of the high, cathedral setting, "Queen of the Mountain", or "Queen of Thrones"...but, I love "Marlowe"...that just moved to my top spot! :praise:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehheee ;-) I'm kinda good at naming things.
I like Laurel too but I feel like the ending syllabic l sound is hard to say and doesn't roll off the tongue. I'm a lazy talker. I don't like saying things that take effort.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Laurel too but I feel like the ending syllabic l sound is hard to say and doesn't roll off the tongue. I'm a lazy talker. I don't like saying things that take effort.
:lol: lol!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I pride myself in my naming skills too, lol.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considered "Laurel". I love how Maddam Bijioux has clever, elaborate names for her stones, like: "Old Miss Evil"...lol!
I was thinking of "Lady of the Lake", or...because of the high, cathedral setting, "Queen of the Mountain", or "Queen of Thrones"...but, I love "Marlowe"...that just moved to my top spot! :praise:

Why now something like Marlowe, Queen of the Lake? So you have the ridiculous mouthful of words PLUS a singleton name to call easily?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I left this to my DH, his response would be, "Ka-Ching"...lol! Loving the responses on this thread!! I hope others will post photos & share ideas; it will be fun to bounce back n forth!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was the name of the lake Matthews? Or did you already say and I missed it??? Beautiful ring by the way!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was the name of the lake Matthews? Or did you already say and I missed it??? Beautiful ring by the way!
Thank you, tyty333!!
The name of the lake is Laurel Hill Lake.
It's gorgeous there. We are looking at purchasing property there for a summer home.
These are the photos from the proposal (10/23/16):

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Matthews1127! I think Laurel would be a beautiful name but I do know understand what you are saying about the ending "l" sound.
Hillary for the Hill in Laurel Hill??? No, probably not...I'm sure you dont want to be thinking about politics when you look at your beautiful stone!
Its so regal looking to me that names royal names want to pop into my mind like the Duchess. It also makes me think of old world names.
Here are two I found and really like (and are relate-able IMO).
Guinevere - In Arthurian legend, King Arthur's queen who was loved by Lancelot of the Lake (references Lake).
Gwendolyn - Meaning of Gwendolyn: "white ring"

Do any of these strike a cord with you?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful Matthews1127! I think Laurel would be a beautiful name but I do know understand what you are saying about the ending "l" sound.
Hillary for the Hill in Laurel Hill??? No, probably not...I'm sure you dont want to be thinking about politics when you look at your beautiful stone!
Its so regal looking to me that names royal names want to pop into my mind like the Duchess. It also makes me think of old world names.
Here are two I found and really like (and are relate-able IMO).
Guinevere - In Arthurian legend, King Arthur's queen who was loved by Lancelot of the Lake (references Lake).
Gwendolyn - Meaning of Gwendolyn: "white ring"

Do any of these strike a cord with you?
Guinevere is beautiful! That makes sense, and I love old, regal/sophisticated names, as well!!
Marlowe or Guinevere....wow! Very tough...they both reference the lake & sound so sweet....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results