shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you get pointy claw prongs?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted claw prongs and when I asked my jeweler he said it will drive me insane snagging on everything. Any truth to that?

Have never had one of my prongs snag anything! That jeweler must not have a good enough bench to do them right.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm.... In another thread (can't remember which, sorry!) someone sent their stone to JA to set for a $100 setting fee. I don't know if that is typical though.

Yes, this is standard for JA. I paid $100 setting fee plus another $100 because my stone was over 7mm. Plus if you want claw prongs and the setting
comes with "regular" prongs you get to pay extra for those too. My setting came with claw prongs although it showed some of the made up rings
with regular prongs I told them I wanted claw prongs to be sure.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @stark6935 :wavey:
I don't know exactly what you'd like the claw prongs to look like, but here is an example of how a bench here in NYC, used by Adam of Old World Diamonds, refined the prongs on a standard Stuller setting (#122004) for PumpkinsAreAwesome:
OWD refined Stuller 122004 3.jpg OWD refined Stuller 122004 2.jpg
(Yikes, that 2nd photo is much larger than I was expecting to see)
More pics here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-wonky-diamond-ring.217499/

You'll see some other PSer Stuller rings with modified prongs in this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-stuller-settings.212118/

Stuller #122004
https://www.stuller.com/products/build/122004/3637652/?groupId=113775#/mounting-options
is a PS favorite and can be very reasonably priced. E.g., the price for a 14K white gold ring, for a 6.5 mm diamond & ring size 7, could be ~ $250.

Last edited:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
If the ring is deigned for claws from the start it works out much better than a thin and sharpen on existing prongs.
Depending on the starting material and the skill of the bench-man decent results can be obtained.
Finding as benchman who will even consider doing it it is a problem.
People dont want to pay for it, it could easily triple the cost of a pre-made setting and it does not always work out well.

Making a cast setting with extra material to make claws out of is the next level and can look pretty good to great.
Cost is again an issue.

Nothing else with claws beats the workmanship and toughness of hand-forged claws by a master setter.
Finding one to do them however is a problem. People dont want to pay for the time they really take.

Ok that makes sense. I brought him a setting that I had bought already and asked if he could turn it into claw prongs, and he knew I didn't want to spend a lot.

Sorry to the OP for this highjack but ...

@frogplus - I was one of many following your exhausted and overwhelmed thread ... did you get your ring finished, and if so, are you happy with it?

It's finished but I haven't seen it yet. Waiting for surprise proposal! I have pics in my main thread of the setting I ended up with, a semi-custom from Hayden Cudworth, and I dropped it off with a highly regarded jeweler with the request to make sure the prongs don't look blobby and to thin/taper the shank as much as he felt comfortable with. (Showed him the extreme tapered Amazon ring and said I wasn't expecting it to look like this, but this is the tapered look I love). I can't wait to see it!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
It's finished but I haven't seen it yet. Waiting for surprise proposal! I have pics in my main thread of the setting I ended up with, a semi-custom from Hayden Cudworth, and I dropped it off with a highly regarded jeweler with the request to make sure the prongs don't look blobby and to thin/taper the shank as much as he felt comfortable with. (Showed him the extreme tapered Amazon ring and said I wasn't expecting it to look like this, but this is the tapered look I love). I can't wait to see it!

There are a while bunch of us that followed your adventure, and I am really looking forward to hearing you’re thrilled ... we’ve been rooting for you! Please don’t forget the update with pictures!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @stark6935 :wavey:
I don't know exactly what you'd like the claw prongs to look like, but here is an example of how a bench here in NYC, used by Adam of Old World Diamonds, refined the prongs on a standard Stuller setting (#122004) for PumpkinsAreAwesome:
OWD refined Stuller 122004 3.jpg OWD refined Stuller 122004 2.jpg
(Yikes, that 2nd photo is much larger than I was expecting to see)
More pics here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-wonky-diamond-ring.217499/

You'll see some other PSer Stuller rings with modified prongs in this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-stuller-settings.212118/

Stuller #122004
https://www.stuller.com/products/build/122004/3637652/?groupId=113775#/mounting-options
is a PS favorite and can be very reasonably priced. E.g., the price for a 14K white gold ring, for a 6.5 mm diamond & ring size 7, could be ~ $250.

Is it my imagination, or are those claws out of alignment?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it my imagination, or are those claws out of alignment?

Are you talking about the top two? It may be the light; i.e., the light reflecting off the "outside" of both top prongs rather than reflecting on the left or right side of both prongs.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
There are a while bunch of us that followed your adventure, and I am really looking forward to hearing you’re thrilled ... we’ve been rooting for you! Please don’t forget the update with pictures!

Oh believe me, I will NOT forget! Full album as soon as I have it on my finger, and probably keep updating throughout the year... "Here's my ring at the beach! Here's my ring cooking dinner! Taking a nap! Petting a dog! Commuting to work!"

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP: "Yo jeweler, please give me pointy/claw-like prongs on my setting
Jeweler: OK

stark6935

Rough_Rock
I was asking if there was something special about being able to make them, and why i only seem to see them on pretty expensive (to me) settings.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I was asking if there was something special about being able to make them, and why i only seem to see them on pretty expensive (to me) settings.

It would really help the posters help you if you let them know what you consider an inexpensive setting. And what you consider an expensive setting. Definitions vary, and it is important to know what your definition is.

stark6935

Rough_Rock
It would really help the posters help you if you let them know what you consider an inexpensive setting. And what you consider an expensive setting. Definitions vary, and it is important to know what your definition is.
I dont think it would change the responses a whole lot. I see this thread has run its course. Thanks everyone!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The simple answer is yes there is something special about making them.
It takes a lot of time and labor and skill to do them right and there needs to be the right starting point for them to come out right.
Done well they look neat are secure and problem free for normal use.
The slightest rise on them so strings and threads can get under them and they will snag and bend.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh believe me, I will NOT forget! Full album as soon as I have it on my finger, and probably keep updating throughout the year... "Here's my ring at the beach! Here's my ring cooking dinner! Taking a nap! Petting a dog! Commuting to work!"

YAAASSSSSS!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results