shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you get pointy claw prongs?

stark6935

Rough_Rock
I want to have a 6 prong setting, but want the finer/petite claw loking prongs. Can you ask whoever sets the stone to just grind it down like that? Im having trouble finding 6 prong settings like that that dont cost a fortune. Thanks

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to have a 6 prong setting, but want the finer/petite claw loking prongs. Can you ask whoever sets the stone to just grind it down like that? Im having trouble finding 6 prong settings like that that dont cost a fortune. Thanks

The way anyone gets them is for the jeweler to shave / shape them. Any of the vendors here can be asked to make claw prongs (JA, BN, etc).

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Nice inexpensive six prong solitiare settings are few and far between!

If you are looking at Stuller, here's a tip: their diamond accent six prongs are actually prettier and nicer than the solitiares. You can also customize their settings though your vendor, and while that adds to the cost, it might be worthwhile in some cases. But pay attention to the shank widths, make sure the settings are not too thin (many of them are).

Sharp pointy delicate prongs are not easy to do right, contrary to what you've been told. Unless it is on a custom setting, we charge extra for them as they take a lot more time and skill to shape.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice inexpensive six prong solitiare settings are few and far between!

If you are looking at Stuller, here's a tip: their diamond accent six prongs are actually prettier and nicer than the solitiares. You can also customize their settings though your vendor, and while that adds to the cost, it might be worthwhile in some cases. But pay attention to the shank widths, make sure the settings are not too thin (many of them are).

Sharp pointy delicate prongs are not easy to do right, contrary to what you've been told. Unless it is on a custom setting, we charge extra for them as they take a lot more time and skill to shape.

Sorry, I didn't mean it was easy, just that many vendors can do it. Of course some will be more delicate/perfect than others, but I don't think claw prongs require a super expensive setting.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Low-budget me has a question. Is it theoretically possible for a good local bench person to shave down "blob prongs" to make them more delicate and claw-like? Or do claw prongs require a completely different kind of construction from the beginning?

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
I purchased through Brian Gavin, and my understanding is that they'll do whatever normal* prong shape you request. The limitation is the setting would need to be one of Gavin's in-house designs and not the ones done from an outside bench.

* I think split prongs cost extra, and may not be advisable due to how it weakens the prong unless they make the prongs thicker.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stark6935 - what kind of setting are you looking for and what is your budget? We might be able to help you find one.

Edit - JA is running a sale right now. I believe they charge $100 for claw prongs if the setting does not
already come that way but you would need to ask. They did claw prongs for me and I am very happy
with them.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Easy. I asked Amy @ DK for them and she said absolutely. ;)2

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A lot of what you see in the premium settings is finishing work done after the casting. It's tedious hand work. This is the #1 place jewelers can make your piece less expensive. Most of the cost of a setting is labor, not metal after all. It's easy to spend hours and hours finishing a piece that someone else would count as already done. I presume it's not a surprise that this costs more. Few customers order it (because it costs more) and that leads to a lot of setters who don't understand the question. It's definitely not a question for the cheapest craftsmen.

That said, it's just work and it can be done with just about any prong setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Low-budget me has a question. Is it theoretically possible for a good local bench person to shave down "blob prongs" to make them more delicate and claw-like? Or do claw prongs require a completely different kind of construction from the beginning?

This is what my previous jeweler did,and I thought he did a nice job. That way I was able to save $.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my experience, a shaped cast prong can indeed by shaped- getting close to a true claw. But it won't be the same as a true claw.
For that, you'd need to start with an extruded wire ( hand forged).
A cast prong will be heavier- and taking off too much metal isn't that great an idea......the extruded wire of a hand forged piece can be more delicate, and still maintain durability.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stark6935 - what kind of setting are you looking for and what is your budget? We might be able to help you find one.

Edit - JA is running a sale right now. I believe they charge $100 for claw prongs if the setting does not
already come that way but you would need to ask. They did claw prongs for me and I am very happy
with them.

Tyty333 - did you buy just a setting? Or did you buy stones and setting from JA? I ask because JA told me tonight - after much discussion on my specifications - that they could not set an outside stone even if I bought two of the three stones from them and I was having them custom make the ring. We got all the way through my custom specs and finally the JA person said - oh no - my manager just told me we cannot set an outside stone. I was actually alright with having them just making the setting and using their two stones and have my own bench set the main stone. Just trying to find out if the JA rep I was dealing with maybe got it wrong. Thanks in advance.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm.... In another thread (can't remember which, sorry!) someone sent their stone to JA to set for a $100 setting fee. I don't know if that is typical though.

stark6935

Rough_Rock
Hmmm.... In another thread (can't remember which, sorry!) someone sent their stone to JA to set for a $100 setting fee. I don't know if that is typical though.
Do you have some sort of odd shape stone? Ive heard people say both ways. Their website says they will set a stone sent into them for $100

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my experience, a shaped cast prong can indeed by shaped- getting close to a true claw. But it won't be the same as a true claw.
For that, you'd need to start with an extruded wire ( hand forged).

While hand forged might allow you to go a little thinner without losing integrity, I would like to say that an excellent polisher can indeed make a claw prong, even with a Stuller piece for a fraction of the money for an extruded wire prong. It is still not cheap to spend the time to properly make six of them on a solitaire, and most people will not pay the extra money to do it right. I just do not accept the blanket statement from Rockdiamomnd that it is not a true claw.

Wink

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty333 - did you buy just a setting? Or did you buy stones and setting from JA? I ask because JA told me tonight - after much discussion on my specifications - that they could not set an outside stone even if I bought two of the three stones from them and I was having them custom make the ring. We got all the way through my custom specs and
finally the JA person said - oh no - my manager just told me we cannot set an outside stone. I was actually alright with having them just making the setting and using their two stones and have my own bench set the main stone. Just trying to find out if the JA rep I was dealing with maybe got it wrong. Thanks in advance.

I bought just the setting. I had my ering diamond (pear) reset into one of their settings. I got the impression they did not like to make custom
settings for outside stones because they showed a pear that had the setting I wanted but they said it was custom made (the pear came from them)
and they would not do it for me. I picked a setting that just had to be altered to fit my stone. If you had, or if you could have, kept it simple for them
and not gone custom I think your chances would have been better. I also bought when the setting was 25% off. The other issue is that due to the
holidays they are super busy. I dont think they like to go out of their way to go custom when they are busy. Bad timing might have been
an issue.

Why dont you go with David Klass. He can do nice prongs.

Here is my ring from JA...FYI. The tip on the pear is not a claw prong but the other 4 are.
2016-03-11 15.43.06-1 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink!
We do both shaped cast prongs as well as true hand forged claws.
I agree, when a great polisher works on it, a shaped prong can be beautiful.
But it’s not the same as a true claw, hand forged prong.
Given that this is a forum where the most minute details of diamonds are discussed, I think I a discussion like this deserves the same sort of accuracy in the details.

stark6935

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the great tips everyone. I assumed this was sort of a broad question. I tried to search, but I seem to have trouble getting good results on the search function.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted claw prongs and when I asked my jeweler he said it will drive me insane snagging on everything. Any truth to that?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted claw prongs and when I asked my jeweler he said it will drive me insane snagging on everything. Any truth to that?

My fiancee likes hers. Only issue she's had that I'm aware of is she bent a prong out of place and it started snagging on stuff before she realized what happened.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I completely disagree with this statement. Your jeweler made it sound like claw prongs inherently snags. UNTRUE. I depends on how they are made. I had claw prongs made by Victor Canera. And never had any snagging problems and the bulk of my wardrobe consists of sweaters. I had a blue Nile solitaire that snagged all day long. So it depends on the quality of the workmanship. And I also have a soleste double halo from Tiffany with beautiful claw prongs. No snagging at all. I can’t vouch for non-claw prongs from Tiffany.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
My claw prongs don't snag either! hope this is of reassurance...It IS possible!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally false about claw prongs. If they are done well they won't snag.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Also vouch that claw prongs don’t snag - at least mine don’t.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the ring is deigned for claws from the start it works out much better than a thin and sharpen on existing prongs.
Depending on the starting material and the skill of the bench-man decent results can be obtained.
Finding as benchman who will even consider doing it it is a problem.
People dont want to pay for it, it could easily triple the cost of a pre-made setting and it does not always work out well.

Making a cast setting with extra material to make claws out of is the next level and can look pretty good to great.
Cost is again an issue.

Nothing else with claws beats the workmanship and toughness of hand-forged claws by a master setter.
Finding one to do them however is a problem. People dont want to pay for the time they really take.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have double claw prongs on my engagement ring and my diamond studs. I have no issues with snagging.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry to the OP for this highjack but ...

@frogplus - I was one of many following your exhausted and overwhelmed thread ... did you get your ring finished, and if so, are you happy with it?

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have claw prongs on my engagement ring and I had them on another ring as well. They are not inherently snaggy. BUT-- they can be when made by a bench that doesn't have the skill to do them right. So, this might be more of a commentary on the jeweler's skills than on the nature of claw prongs.

stark6935

Rough_Rock
Sorry to the OP for this highjack but ...

@frogplus - I was one of many following your exhausted and overwhelmed thread ... did you get your ring finished, and if so, are you happy with it?
Its ok. I got the info I wanted. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results