shape
carat
color
clarity

How big is "too big" for a 4.5 ring size finger?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When a guy is trying to figure out what size diamond to get and the girl has not stated a specific preference, it is very helpful to know what kinds of stones her sisters and social circle wear. If they all wear 2 ct. stones, she might not be so thrilled with a .5 D VVS. If they all wear .5 ct. stones, then 1 ct. may seem very large to her. Or as someone said earlier in this thread, they would have been uncomfortable with a stone greater than a certain size. I totally understand that feeling because I have been there and know what my maximum is.

We do need to know a budget to recommend stones. But one can get a 1 ct. or a 2 ct. stone with the very same budget depending on the preferences for color, clarity, and cut. That's why it is helpful to try to figure out what her comfort range might be.

SDPlaya....do you know she prefers asschers?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SDplaya|1329883634|3131439 said:
Ok, I like these from James Allen, the vendor I feel most comfortable with so far. I did have a great conversation with Brian Gavin who is going to send me a few stone ideas as well. Blue Nile is out, I just dont get how they have zero pics at all. I have a few from Whiteflash as well. My choices so far:

Bigger sizes (SI-1 but seem eye clean)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1373836.asp

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1113854.asp

Just right

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/asscher-cut-loose-diamond-2723741.htm

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1302268.asp (this might be best overall?)

I know the title of this thread has morphed so let me know if I should re-post as what diamond is best thread. :)

You can't choose an asscher from a virtual selection. You have to have pictures, so unless you have them call the stone in, the WF stone would have to be eliminated. You'd need to ask about the JA G VS2 to be sure it is eyeclean. The 1.71 JA stone is not well cut enough.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1329876225|3131339 said:
Cut on them being excellent is nothing but them running numbers and using very wide criteria. I'd be fine with a three step asscher. I'm not even sure what my own is actually...lol. Bad Gypsy.

James Allen has a lot of selection, but you will be doing the chosing yourself out of dozens of choices, and as you don't have a trained eye what you pick may not be the best of the best. I can do a search for you on there if you like, please post what you want and your budget. The price reflects that self service model. With a vendor with a different business model, you give them your criteria and budget and they weed out the duds and give you three, for example, top contenders to chose from. Provide you with images and other tools to help you evaluate. Then you can chose from those, tell them to keep looking, or pick something from a different vendor. I think that having someone with a good eye, like Mark, help you with something as difficult as asschers is a plus. That doesn't mean you can't continue to hunt on your own or with us as well, though.

Ok, I like these from James Allen, the vendor I feel most comfortable with so far. I did have a great conversation with Brian Gavin who is going to send me a few stone ideas as well. Blue Nile is out, I just dont get how they have zero pics at all. I have a few from Whiteflash as well. My choices so far:

Just right

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1302268.asp (this might be best overall?)

I know the title of this thread has morphed so let me know if I should re-post as what diamond is best thread. :)

Okay. So, you have no idea what a good asscher looks like. Cause you've picked (to be perfectly honest) three dogs. All are poorly cut. Every single one. The faceting on those is exactly what you don't want to buy. And the one from WF is a sample image, not the actual stone. So goodness knows what it looks like.

You really need help. You need to start with understanding what a good asscher looks like. Cause you don't have any idea.

I did a search for you. There is nothing at JA right now that fits your criteria worth spending any money on, this is the best one and you can get an ASET of it from them: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1373906.asp but I think it's too dark under the table (still you can get an ASET of it) . I would call Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. Ask him for the nicest, brightest stone he can find. Don't advise him on faceting, you have no idea what to ask for. Tell him largest (in dimension not carat weight) he can find for your budget. Down to I color and eyeclean from any distance from the top, also tell him you want one with a nice high crown (over 14%). Once he's got options for you post the pics and the ASET he gives you and we'll go from there and help you pick.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1329883780|3131443 said:
When a guy is trying to figure out what size diamond to get and the girl has not stated a specific preference, it is very helpful to know what kinds of stones her sisters and social circle wear. If they all wear 2 ct. stones, she might not be so thrilled with a .5 D VVS. If they all wear .5 ct. stones, then 1 ct. may seem very large to her. Or as someone said earlier in this thread, they would have been uncomfortable with a stone greater than a certain size. I totally understand that feeling because I have been there and know what my maximum is.

We do need to know a budget to recommend stones. But one can get a 1 ct. or a 2 ct. stone with the very same budget depending on the preferences for color, clarity, and cut. That's why it is helpful to try to figure out what her comfort range might be.

SDPlaya....do you know she prefers asschers?

Hi Diamondseeker.

Yes she is an Asscher girl. After several hints, jewelry store walk-by's when out and about the last 2 years and emailed links to rings with asscher shapes over the last year plus, I have stored these hints in my memory.

My budget for a stone is $12,000. i'd like to find a setting for under $2k and keep it simple and in platinum. I need to view some of these settings on PS for asschers. she doesnt like any others stones in the setting, so that rules out a few and leads my down the "stay simple" approach for a solitaire.

No offense to her, but she doesnt know enough on color and clarity preference other than it should be eye clean and sparkly. I know she would want me to error bigger in carat size but she'd be WOW-ed by a 1.50-1.80 stone. Knowing how Asschers face up, I can handle going bigger and a 1.8 stone might look like a 1.3-1.5 round. I know I want a top notch cut stone and prefer a VS1 or VS 2 but am fine with an eye clean SI-1 (and I know she will as well, lol)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1329884572|3131456 said:
Gypsy|1329876225|3131339 said:
Cut on them being excellent is nothing but them running numbers and using very wide criteria. I'd be fine with a three step asscher. I'm not even sure what my own is actually...lol. Bad Gypsy.

James Allen has a lot of selection, but you will be doing the chosing yourself out of dozens of choices, and as you don't have a trained eye what you pick may not be the best of the best. I can do a search for you on there if you like, please post what you want and your budget. The price reflects that self service model. With a vendor with a different business model, you give them your criteria and budget and they weed out the duds and give you three, for example, top contenders to chose from. Provide you with images and other tools to help you evaluate. Then you can chose from those, tell them to keep looking, or pick something from a different vendor. I think that having someone with a good eye, like Mark, help you with something as difficult as asschers is a plus. That doesn't mean you can't continue to hunt on your own or with us as well, though.

Just right

Okay. So, you have no idea what a good asscher looks like. Cause you've picked (to be perfectly honest) three dogs. All are poorly cut. Every single one. The faceting on those is exactly what you don't want to buy. And the one from WF is a sample image, not the actual stone. So goodness knows what it looks like.

You really need help. You need to start with understanding what a good asscher looks like. Cause you don't have any idea.

I did a search for you. There is nothing at JA right now that fits your criteria worth spending any money on, this is the best one and you can get an ASET of it from them: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1373906.asp but I think it's too dark under the table (still you can get an ASET of it) . I would call Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. Ask him for the nicest, brightest stone he can find. Don't advise him on faceting, you have no idea what to ask for. Tell him largest (in dimension not carat weight) he can find for your budget. Down to I color and eyeclean from any distance from the top, also tell him you want one with a nice high crown (over 14%). Once he's got options for you post the pics and the ASET he gives you and we'll go from there and help you pick.

Thank you, even if this is depressing how lost I am and yet how much I have learned over the last month or so. I honestly hate the fact I dont know what to ask or look for, as I pride myself in this process and an anal enough OCD type to detail that it bugs the heck out of me I dont know what to ask for or how to determine what you said was a bad cut. It also sucks that all these stones are being sold me to as "perfect".

Will call Mark tomorrow too :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SD playa... if it were me, I would seriously consider this ring: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/closeout-jewelry/rings/236CO1/8/

Daniel K is a very high end brand with amazing workmanship, and they are known for their asschers. They are usually quite amazing stones. This ring includes a 1.5 H VS stone and a gorgeous platinum setting (GIA certificate) for 12,275. I honestly think it's a great deal and looks to be a lovely stone plus it's from a FANTASTIC vendor. They would be happily provide you with more pics and some of the stone especially.

I adore Daniel K's workmanship and especially his pave. I think you would be very happy if went this route and so will your lady.

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, thanks for this last two posts. I had a good convo w/ Mark's colleague at ERD today and have a few vendors sourcing some stones for me to review as well as for a few people to view in person. Which had me go back to a local diamond cutter shop I know in Orange County to have them look into Asschers. I tend to lean towards the setting you listed at Brian Gavin -- she likes platinum and it looks like that particular one (if I get a bigger stone) will be about $2k . I'm sure I can get something similar for a bit less.

From my interactions with my g/f over the last year plus, she's not too wild at all about other side stones on the setting, thus making the awesome deal you sent from Pearlman's a no-go. Great deal though wow. The crazy thing is I just went on Costco and saw a nice Solitaire Asscher stone for a great price that she'd likely love but I just cant stomach the thought of buying an engagement ring at the same place I buy industrial bags of toliet paper and muffins.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad you are on the path to finding the right asscher for you!

As for costco. Okay, I get that. But they do have an excellent return policy. As long as you don't size or alter anything it's a lifetime return policy. It might not be right for your engagement ring, but it is a good thing for people... a little less sure of the answer when they pop the question, kwim? Different strokes and all that.

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1329971354|3132239 said:

As for costco. Okay, I get that. But they do have an excellent return policy. As long as you don't size or alter anything it's a lifetime return policy. It might not be right for your engagement ring, but it is a good thing for people... a little less sure of the answer when they pop the question, kwim? Different strokes and all that.

LOL Agreed on all accounts and yes seeing as I just returned a vacuum there a few days ago no questions asked I love that policy.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

sushi

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

My 10cents...

I agree that it is what she is comfortable with. I have size 4 fingers, and i like "the bigger the better" BUT I would never have compromised quality over size. I have a 1.8 Pear, (D,VS1) which does look big on my finger, but to be 300% honest, I wanted bigger, and was a little bit disappointed with it. I was trying on 2's before the proposal, and i definitely noticed the difference. The other problem is where you live etc. I live in Hong Kong, so it is safe, and there is no issue with me walking around wearing this, but If i was in London, NY etc, then i find myself twisting it around, as im worried ill be mugged!

There is one thing I will say, this is just a personal preference, but with such small hands I find that square cuts look too bulky on my fingers, so I prefer rounds, pears, ovals etc. The angles on the princess, even the asschers I find dont suit my small hands.... but as i said thats my personal opinion! i wouldnt go for a pear if she didnt specifically say she likes them though, as they are an acquired taste. Ovals are quite good for small fingers as the "weight" of the diamond is dispersed along the finger, rather than all in a round... might be worth considering?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-my-1-8-d-vs1-beautiful-pear-e-ring.151918/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/im-engaged-my-1-8-d-vs1-beautiful-pear-e-ring.151918/[/URL]
(so you can see the pear on my little hands...)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
How big is "too big" for a 4.5 ring size finger?

There is tons of BIG bling in NYC. No reason to feel concerned with safety :) as long as you are not in dangerous areas- pretty much goes for any area. You have to see what her comfort level is in terms of size :)

sushi

Shiny_Rock
Fair enough! Its just that Hk is so ridiculously safe, that since i have moved here, i feel unsafe everywhere else... I suppose it is my issue. I wouldnt go on the subway in London with mine on... But maybe if i lived there I would be more comfortable!

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
sushi|1330014545|3132464 said:
Fair enough! Its just that Hk is so ridiculously safe, that since i have moved here, i feel unsafe everywhere else... I suppose it is my issue. I wouldnt go on the subway in London with mine on... But maybe if i lived there I would be more comfortable!

yeah that's not an issue. I'm in san Diego and Socal is the materialistic king of bling in my opinion. Thankfully I'm not marrying a real housewife, etc. As stated she'd love a 1.50 carat but I can afford bigger and if they're eye clean, then I'd lean towards a bigger stone.

The vendors are narrowing down my choices soon so I look forward to sharing with you all.

sushi

Shiny_Rock
good luck, cant wait to see them :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDplaya|1330021385|3132553 said:

yeah that's not an issue. I'm in san Diego and Socal is the materialistic king of bling in my opinion. Thankfully I'm not marrying a real housewife, etc. As stated she'd love a 1.50 carat but I can afford bigger and if they're eye clean, then I'd lean towards a bigger stone.

The vendors are narrowing down my choices soon so I look forward to sharing with you all.

Great news! I'm really looking forward to seeing what they find for you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDplaya|1329971854|3132252 said:
Gypsy|1329971354|3132239 said:

LOL Agreed on all accounts and yes seeing as I just returned a vacuum there a few days ago no questions asked I love that policy.

There was a woman returning year old tulip bulbs in front of me the other day. You really can't beat them when it comes to returns. And like I said, for some people it's the perfect place. Because returning jewelry can be a pain and you often see people reselling for a loss instead as a result.

Xanthoria

Rough_Rock
I wear a size 4.5 e-ring and the main stone is a 2.14 ct round from 1924 (F, VS1) given to me by family. The stone is big and the ring's very fine and not snug so it tends to slide around to the side which is annoying. Sometimes I think the size makes it look fake.

I would have selected a much smaller stone if my fiancee had been buying it, but you could hardly turn down a family heirloom! :naughty:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Just a suggestion and bezels definitely aren't for everyone, but have you considered going with a simple bezel solitaire? I LOVE asschers in bezel settings, I think the clean lines of bezels look beautiful with step-cut stones:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-reset-danhov-bezel-asscher-by-ja.152247/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-reset-danhov-bezel-asscher-by-ja.152247/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bezel-set-asscher-ering-is-finished.100611/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bezel-set-asscher-ering-is-finished.100611/[/URL]

If not, I think the 4-prong suggestion Gypsy posted from BGD is gorgeous!

Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SDplaya|1330021385|3132553 said:

I really sort of hate to hear that you are working with multiple vendors. They pay money to have stones shipped in and you can only buy from one of them. It is usually best to work with one and then if they can't come up with what you want, you move to another.

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330140800|3133897 said:
mrssalvo|1330126077|3133740 said:

Are you 100% certain she would be unhappy with the little stones on the shank? Because this is a heck of a deal for a designer ring. I wear a plain solitaire, but I surely wouldn't turn down that ring if it had the diamond I wanted in it!

I did call on this to try to get more photos...I do think she might be into the pave setting on second thought and I like this a lot --very classic look. It seems they need to get more shots of it from the NY store . You are right though, this setting/stone combo seem like a very nice deal. Plus, I do like the designer setting.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDplaya|1330212575|3134548 said:

Are you 100% certain she would be unhappy with the little stones on the shank? Because this is a heck of a deal for a designer ring. I wear a plain solitaire, but I surely wouldn't turn down that ring if it had the diamond I wanted in it!

I did call on this to try to get more photos...I do think she might be into the pave setting on second thought and I like this a lot --very classic look. It seems they need to get more shots of it from the NY store . You are right though, this setting/stone combo seem like a very nice deal. Plus, I do like the designer setting.

You'll have to post the pictures they send if you can! I can say first had that daniel K is one of the top pave masters out there. His settings are loupe perfect and you cannot even see the tiny beads he uses to set the stones without one. I also think this is still a very classic setting even with the side diamonds and all his asschers are ex/ex as far as I know so it really is a great deal...if it's exactly like you and your gf want ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SDplaya|1330212575|3134548 said:

Oh, that is fantastic! Those rings are deeply discounted so you are basically getting a fine designer ring for the cost of a generic one! I really hopes it works out! And as MrsS said, they are super high quality and very classic and timeless.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! I'm excited! I really think that Daniel K rings are just knock outs in person. As great as they are on the web, in person is where they shine. So delicate and the craftsmanship is just astounding.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
<--- My finger is a 4.5 and my EC is a 1.72. Not sure I would go much larger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results