shape
carat
color
clarity

How big is "too big" for a 4.5 ring size finger?

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330216053|3134570 said:
SDplaya|1330212575|3134548 said:
diamondseeker2006|1330140800|3133897 said:
mrssalvo|1330126077|3133740 said:

Are you 100% certain she would be unhappy with the little stones on the shank? Because this is a heck of a deal for a designer ring. I wear a plain solitaire, but I surely wouldn't turn down that ring if it had the diamond I wanted in it!

I did call on this to try to get more photos...I do think she might be into the pave setting on second thought and I like this a lot --very classic look. It seems they need to get more shots of it from the NY store . You are right though, this setting/stone combo seem like a very nice deal. Plus, I do like the designer setting.

Oh, that is fantastic! Those rings are deeply discounted so you are basically getting a fine designer ring for the cost of a generic one! I really hopes it works out! And as MrsS said, they are super high quality and very classic and timeless.

Bill answered and was super nice, said would try to get me the cert and some pictures as well. It has to be worth a look I have read a ton about daniel K and just read a great thread on a daniel k ring option via mrssalvo about 6 years ago. My only worry is the closeout factor, I need to see more pictures obviously as no asscher is alike...more on this soon!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean closeout factor as in no return? I'd certainly want to see pictures of the diamond, but I don't think there is anything else to worry about. You could hardly do better. It was great that Gypsy and MrsS remembered those are available because it is very rare to get them discounted. I recently got a closeout Beaudry ring from Pearlman's and I will have to tell you that their pictures do not do justice to the rings!

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330218025|3134589 said:
Do you mean closeout factor as in no return? I'd certainly want to see pictures of the diamond, but I don't think there is anything else to worry about. You could hardly do better. It was great that Gypsy and MrsS remembered those are available because it is very rare to get them discounted. I recently got a closeout Beaudry ring from Pearlman's and I will have to tell you that their pictures do not do justice to the rings!

Yes I mean like in the case she doesnt love it (Im sure she will) or a year/years later she wants to upgrade. The stone's specs alone are better/same to the loose stones I am viewing and at the same price for this setting. I can handle H color if I'm upgrading to a VS1 stone. I also need to confirm with Bill this setting has some size flexibility (he said there could be up to 1 size) so need to confirm her ring size. Is it possible to have Bill get photos/asets or anything on the stone itself (other than the cert)?

He did say I could have a week or so after buying to return it if I didnt like it which was somewhat nice to know. whew, add another option to this mix.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: the daniek k close out ring. I don't think it's worth it to un-set for an aset in this case. Seriously, daniel k only sets the best stones and I have no doubt it's stunning. Have Pearlman's ship it to you to have a look at in person. That's what they did for me. Also, the pave on that particular style is so very dainty and delicate it really isn't blingy at all. Very understated yet a nice little shimmer added to the band. I really do think it will blow you away in person. I realize it doesn't come with an upgrade policy per se but Pearlmans does do trades and I'm sure they would take care of you should the desire to upgrade ever arise!

oh and I totally agree with Diamondseeker that as nice as Pearlmans pictures are, the rings in person are so much more beautiful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bill is a doll. Seriously. One of the best vendors ever.

My thoughts are: talk to her. That pretty much it.

Some women NEVER EVER EVER upgrade. Even it it means wearing their original stone as a pendant or right hand ring, they would NEVER part with their original stone.

For other's it's a hobby.

I know if my husband was considering buying me a piece with no return policy I would want to know. I've personally bought two non-returnable items from Pearlmans at deep discounts and been thrilled with both, but I made the decision myself and decided the trade off was worth it, and it was.

Seven days to return is very fair, and personally if you DON'T want to talk to her about it before hand, then make sure you propose in that window ( like the day after you get it so she can live with it a few days and tell you what she thinks) so you can return it if it isn't perfect. But make sure that if you size it, you will be able to return it.

We can't advise you on this issue. Only she can, because it's very person specific.

Regarding ASETs and such, I don't know what they can provide you on a set stone. Best people to talk to about that is them. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think an ASET is necessary in this case, either. I would never unset the stone for that reason. I think it is highly unusual for a girl to want to return the engagement ring when she has suggested the type of stone and relatively simple setting. It would be fairly hard to go wrong. I would like to see the additional pictures, but I have a lot of confidence in DK quality.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1329873490|3131296 said:
OCgirl|1329851751|3130968 said:
I saw in your other post that you are looking for an asscher cut. An asscher cut faces up smaller so I think a 1.5 ct asscher will look more similar to a 1.2 - 1.3 ct round face up. The thing with step cuts is you see inclusions easier so it's safer to stick with VS clarities. For round cuts I would not worry about dropping to SI1. Regardless I think a 1.5 ct asscher will look amazing on a 4.5 finger. What setting are you considering?

More like a 1 carat round if you are talking about a 1.5 asscher. If you are shopping for asschers. No, you will be find with H VS2 and as big as you can get with that. Bigger is better with asschers.

1.5 asschers face up at 6.5 ish. That's the spread of a 1 carat RB.[/quote]

:o

I knew there was a difference; I didn't know it was that much.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
How big is "too big" for a 4.5 ring size finger?

It is staggering just how much smaller an asscher facesup- but they are mezmorizing!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1330288068|3135080 said:
I saw in your other post that you are looking for an asscher cut. An asscher cut faces up smaller so I think a 1.5 ct asscher will look more similar to a 1.2 - 1.3 ct round face up. The thing with step cuts is you see inclusions easier so it's safer to stick with VS clarities. For round cuts I would not worry about dropping to SI1. Regardless I think a 1.5 ct asscher will look amazing on a 4.5 finger. What setting are you considering?

More like a 1 carat round if you are talking about a 1.5 asscher. If you are shopping for asschers. No, you will be find with H VS2 and as big as you can get with that. Bigger is better with asschers.

1.5 asschers face up at 6.5 ish. That's the spread of a 1 carat RB.

I knew there was a difference; I didn't know it was that much.[/quote]

you have to remember that an asscher is square...if you compare the overall diamond area the 6.5 mm square is much larger!
see this image square%20circle.jpg

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
well Mark's team at ERD just pretty much told me they just don't see ahything out there worthwhile but will keep an eye out going forward.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1330297275|3135175 said:
Imdanny|1330288068|3135080 said:

1.5 asschers face up at 6.5 ish. That's the spread of a 1 carat RB.

I knew there was a difference; I didn't know it was that much.

you have to remember that an asscher is square...if you compare the overall diamond area the 6.5 mm square is much larger!
see this image square%20circle.jpg [/quote]

Yea I would think visually a 6.5 mm asscher would look bigger than 6.5 mm round since you... "see" more face up, as in more "surface area" exposed even though the diameters are the same.

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
Update on the DK ring (I also have new stones for review in the other "Asscher for review" thread.

Spoke to Juliann at Pearlman's. The Dk ring is sitting in a NYC store and they said "Because the margins are quite thin on these closeout rings we don't want to incur a lot of extra expense regarding shipping the ring in for photos. The owner's suggestion was that if you like the certificate for the ring, to go ahead with the purchase and excercise the return option if you decide that you do not like it upon arrival. You can avoid the credit card restocking fee by paying with cash equivalent (wire transfer or check). I spoke with the store and our rep, assured me that the ring is in mint/new condition and that proportionally it is perfect and is identical to the stock photo."

Now, call me a sucker, but what incentive does a buyer have to purchase this ring? based on the copy of a 2004 dated GIA report and a stock photo? That's piece of mind? I'm sort of baffled on what my next steps are here. i pleaded that a few digitial pics of the ring would suffice at least --a 5 minute task if that.

The GI report shows

6.31X6.29X$.39 mm
1.51 carat
Color: H
depth 69.8%
Table: 60%
Girdle: Very Thick
Culet: None

Cut:
Polish: EX
Symm: EX
Fluorescence: None
Clarity: VS1

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: the visual surface area of an asscher -- it's not much different than an equivalent mm RB -- because the Asschers have CUT CORNERS -- unlike, say, Princess cuts.

Also -- because Asschers draw your eye INWARD with their cut design (rather than outward toward the edges as in a Brilliant cut) -- the visual minimization is ever MORE pronounced.

Re: the Daniel K ring ... I'd wonder why it's been sitting around collecting dust since 2004. A highly desirable shape & color & clarity combo? And now price? I'm guessing it doesn't show so well in the case & has been the one left standing as others around it have been picked FOR YEARS. But I'm cynical.

Sparkly_Girl

Rough_Rock
Well, I have nearly 5.5 carats parked on my finger right now (4.03 ct cushion cut center) and it is not too big. Blingy? Yes! Flashy? Yes! Gorgeous? Yes? Too big? No!

But that's just me... what does she want? What is "too big" is so incredibly personal...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1330462323|3136602 said:
Re: the Daniel K ring ... I'd wonder why it's been sitting around collecting dust since 2004. A highly desirable shape & color & clarity combo? And now price? I'm guessing it doesn't show so well in the case & has been the one left standing as others around it have been picked FOR YEARS. But I'm cynical.

Deco, I think this one is in the same batch that mine was, where a jeweler went out of business. Pearlmans agreed to market and sell them and I don't think they are on display somewhere, but I could be wrong. Back when Pearlmans first listed these items diamond prices were lower and these still were not a huge deal, yes for the DK name but you could easily have Leon or someone make something close for a lot less $. Now with recent price increases the rings have become a bargain because you'd be hard pressed to buy a stone and designer setting for that price.

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
Spoke to Bill and basically this ring is in a showroom in NYC, its an old school family who scoffs or just doesnt even know ow to take pics so thats not gonna happen, Bill said I could hold until tomorrow and then buy and have shipped to Pearlman's where his team would inspect and make sure it looked great and then send to me where I'd have about a week to inspect and return it if I didnt like it.

Super nice guy, I understand but still, its tough to commit to. I have a loose stone that by all indications is a great fit. Its 1.63 carat so I get a bit bigger stone for about $2K less. My guess is a custom setting will be 2-3K so it will end up being a wash for the most part.

Im down to the loose stone and this ring...need to sleep on it, but advice advice or thoughts on my loose stone would be appreciated (in thread called rate my asscher).

gnight

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
From the Whiteflash video I saw on your other thread (this is getting confusing!! wish it was all in one place!!) -- I *personally* would prefer the larger stone over the Pearlman's DK.

1) larger stone
2) no resizing
3) get to pick the setting she prefers
4) possible trade in policy???? (true?) -- or, at the very least, longer return window to examine in person or send to appraiser.

A deal is only a deal if you're getting exactly what you want ... right Mrssalvo?

SDplaya

Rough_Rock
thanks decodedelighted, the gang wanted me to keep posting updates on the rate my asscher thread so i will take all discussions over there after this last post here.

I tend to agree with you, I will have to pay to have it re-sized and likely screw around with mailing, appraising, reviewing etc ina week's span and its stress I dont need. Im sure its a deal but i tend to like a bigger stone anyway and the WF stone is being raved it by their team. I have our in house PS experts weighing in on it so thank you so much and sorry for the thread confusion.

Feel free to follow my transgressions over on the other thread ! ;-)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1330492437|3137057 said:
A deal is only a deal if you're getting exactly what you want ... right Mrssalvo?

Definitley!!!

Sounds like the WF asscher has a lot of promise and I'd also vote to go with the larger stone in this case!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either is a good option, but since asschers run small anyway, the larger one may be a better choice. I would choose a WF setting. Since you want a solitaire, I think the Legato Sleekline would be beautiful with an asscher. The head would probably have to be customized for an asscher.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted said:
From the Whiteflash video I saw on your other thread (this is getting confusing!! wish it was all in one place!!) -- I *personally* would prefer the larger stone over the Pearlman's DK.

1) larger stone
2) no resizing
3) get to pick the setting she prefers
4) possible trade in policy???? (true?) -- or, at the very least, longer return window to examine in person or send to appraiser.

Ditto.

Burski11

Rough_Rock
I think the length of her fingers is something to consider as well. I wear a Sz 4 but my fingers are quite long and can handle a little more ring than a petite hand. I have a 1.33 emerald cut. It is a bit more on the square side than you usually see. I do wish it was bigger. Closer to 2 cts. I wouldn't feel funny about it at all. Lmo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results