shape
carat
color
clarity

Carat weight vs. finger size - finger coverage percentage

Josh48329

Rough_Rock
I apologize in advance if I am needlessly posting this, but I just cannot seem to find a chart that I found a few days ago. I''m not sure if it was on PS, a vendor site, or what...

It was a chart (table) that had finger size listed across the top and carat weight for RB''s down the left side (or vice versa?). In the individual "cells" it gave the percentage of finger coverage based on a particular ring size and carat weight combination. Has anyone seen this chart? I know I can calculate it all, but that chart made it simple...

Also, if it''ll help ring some bells, the chart had I believe black, red, and blue coloring which seemed to correlate to a suggested "too small", "about right", and "large" size ratio.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Here you go.

RBCSizeOnFingerCP43543.jpg

Josh48329

Rough_Rock
Thanks. That is exactly what I was talking about! I''ll make sure to save a copy.

Just out of curiosity, was it somewhere on PS?

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
There is a link in one of the posts in the "Helpful Threads Archive" sticky at the top of the RockyTalky subforum page.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not familiar with this graphic -- although diamond size charts are pretty common and a basic Google should give you plenty of those -- but the notion of a uniform "too small," "just right," and "large" chart makes me lol. That is so subjective. What looks great on one woman won''t work for another. Averages and expectations vary by cultural group, social circles and region.

I think it''s much more helpful to look at diamond sizes in her circle of friends and see what that range is. (For better or worse, that''s who''s going to be looking at her ring and whose rings she''s looking at in turn.)

Or, better yet, just go try things on with her and ask more directly what she thinks looks good.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree, Liane, I don't consider it a Goldilocks chart either. I do find the chart very useful when comparing in SMTR, however. A 1ct diamond looks very different on a size 4 finger than a size 6. It is also useful to see how much larger someone would have to go on a upgrade to see a significant difference in appearance.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that's a good point I hadn't thought of (re: comparisons in SMTR).

Very good then, you have convinced me of the usefulness of this chart.
2.gif

Josh48329

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 5:35:08 PM
Author: Liane
I'm not familiar with this graphic -- although diamond size charts are pretty common and a basic Google should give you plenty of those -- but the notion of a uniform 'too small,' 'just right,' and 'large' chart makes me lol. That is so subjective. What looks great on one woman won't work for another. Averages and expectations vary by cultural group, social circles and region.

I think it's much more helpful to look at diamond sizes in her circle of friends and see what that range is. (For better or worse, that's who's going to be looking at her ring and whose rings she's looking at in turn.)

Or, better yet, just go try things on with her and ask more directly what she thinks looks good.

I too agree that there is no uniform notion of proper size, and is in fact why I put those terms in quotes. I guess that wasn't translated.

As for your suggestion to go and try some on, I think it's a great suggestion, and we have.

The reason I was curious to find the chart was because it's nearly impossible to try on a range from .75ct to 1.5ct in princess, cushion, RB, etc. - especially when considering the H&A Cushions, August Vintage, etc which can make the stone appear larger than they really are. I've also noticed that a lot of the pictures posted are on size 4 fingers or so, whereas my girlfriend is a size 7.5. Nevermind the fact that many of these pictures are posted at 40-100 times their actual size. For all these reasons, the chart is handy for a quick reference as to how it might look on her (or a different sized) hand, and at least offer a general proportion or idea.

Edit: I don't in ANY way mean to sound rude either. I welcome the suggestions as I am new to diamonds. I'd also like to say that as an engineer I like the numbers
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here are the basic rules.lets say your GF wears a size 6 ring....

for RB she can go up to a 5 ct.
for fanncy cuts she can go up to her ring size or in this case a 6 ct.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 5:35:08 PM
Author: Liane
I''m not familiar with this graphic -- although diamond size charts are pretty common and a basic Google should give you plenty of those -- but the notion of a uniform ''too small,'' ''just right,'' and ''large'' chart makes me lol. That is so subjective. What looks great on one woman won''t work for another. Averages and expectations vary by cultural group, social circles and region.

I think it''s much more helpful to look at diamond sizes in her circle of friends and see what that range is. (For better or worse, that''s who''s going to be looking at her ring and whose rings she''s looking at in turn.)

So true, as a three generation New York City native .. the social circle and region has so much to do with it..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results