shape
carat
color
clarity

How best to recreate the Meghan Markle ring

sne3103

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I love Meghan Markle’s (original) engagement ring, and am currently looking to get one made in moissanite. I really like the proportions of the stones, and the way they look on her finger wrt coverage, profile etc.
It says here that the main stone is a 9x7.5mm cushion, with 4.5mm side stones. Does that seem about correct? And should I go with an antique or brilliant cushion cut center stone? Round brilliant or hearts and arrows for the side stones? Shank width ~1.6mm.
This will be my everyday ring, and I’m going to be getting it made in 14k yellow gold, with white gold prongs.
This will be my first time ordering from a Chinese vendor, and I would appreciate any tips you have for a newbie. Also, any preference between Tianyu and Starsgem?
I’ve also attached a picture of a setting that might replicate the look. What do you guys think? 71594E4B-979B-44AA-8356-5B0B005E2F5D.png Thank you so much for reading!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too like her ring better before she hit it with the bedazzler

Good luck with your ring, its going to look gorgouse

let me bump this for you

sne3103

Rough_Rock
I too like her ring better before she hit it with the bedazzler

Good luck with your ring, its going to look gorgouse

let me bump this for you

Thanks so much for bumping my post! Can’t wait to hear some thoughts from the folks on here...

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think there have been a bunch of replicas made by the 2 moissanite sellers that get talked about a lot, you could try these threads for examples and maybe find some various proportions on hands:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be nice with either antique cuts or modern cuts....but I would not mix them. That is my personal preference. It looks like hers is modern so if you want a closer replica that would be it.

sne3103

Rough_Rock
I think it would be nice with either antique cuts or modern cuts....but I would not mix them. That is my personal preference. It looks like hers is modern so if you want a closer replica that would be it.

What do you mean by not mixing cuts? Is it not a good idea to go for an elongated modern cushion center stone with side hearts and arrow rounds? Do you know if a modern cushion cut stone in that size (9x7ish) tends to look plasticky?

sne3103

Rough_Rock
i think there have been a bunch of replicas made by the 2 moissanite sellers that get talked about a lot, you could try these threads for examples and maybe find some various proportions on hands:

Yep I’ve been looking at different threads on here. Its just that I want one that’s as close as possible to the way hers looks! Something about it seems so beautiful to me...

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep I’ve been looking at different threads on here. Its just that I want one that’s as close as possible to the way hers looks! Something about it seems so beautiful to me...

hopefully someone who had one made will see this and chime in =)

sne3103

Rough_Rock
hopefully someone who had one made will see this and chime in =)

That’s what I’m hoping for, too! But I feel that its not as popular as Kate’s sapphire ring, so there’s not much info :/

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean by not mixing cuts? Is it not a good idea to go for an elongated modern cushion center stone with side hearts and arrow rounds? Do you know if a modern cushion cut stone in that size (9x7ish) tends to look plasticky?

IMO, if you use an antique cushion cut for the center then use OEC's for the sides as they all will have the same antique, chucky facet look.
If you use a modern cushion center use MRB's for the sides.

I have not seen a cushion in quite that size in moissy. My SIL has a 7.5x7.5 modern cushion moissy and it is very pretty. It doesn't look plastic to me and it would look much better if she would ever clean it but now I am sidetracking, lol. I don't see why you couldn't find a 9x7 that looks just as nice.

sne3103

Rough_Rock
IMO, if you use an antique cushion cut for the center then use OEC's for the sides as they all will have the same antique, chucky facet look.
If you use a modern cushion center use MRB's for the sides.

I have not seen a cushion in quite that size in moissy. My SIL has a 7.5x7.5 modern cushion moissy and it is very pretty. It doesn't look plastic to me and it would look much better if she would ever clean it but now I am sidetracking, lol. I don't see why you couldn't find a 9x7 that looks just as nice.

Gotcha! I think I’ll stick with a modern cushion center, and round brilliant side stones. What you say makes a lot of sense.. thanks again :)

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
So the side stones in MM's ring came from Diana- so they are probably MRB- but maybe not H&A? If we knew the provenance of those stones it would be easier to know whether to go the all modern cut stone route vs the OEC/vintage/antique cut route.
I would try and look for more details on the setting as well- I don't think it's a trellis setting like that - as the center stone is held by double prongs and there are prongs holding the side stones have a unique positionin
g. 991FB14E-CAC7-443C-976B-E93CA5D27E1B.png

Last edited:

sne3103

Rough_Rock
So the side stones in MM's ring came from Diana- so they are probably MRB- but maybe not H&A? If we knew the provenance of those stones it would be easier to know whether to go the all modern cut stone route vs the OEC/vintage/antique cut route.
I would try and look for more details on the setting as well- I don't think it's a trellis setting like that - as the center stone is held by double prongs and there are prongs holding the side stones have a unique positionin
g. 991FB14E-CAC7-443C-976B-E93CA5D27E1B.png

It has been nearly impossible to find actual pictures of the ring with the setting visible. Different replica sites have different designs. Do you think this might be closer to it?
Also, yeah, Imma go for an elongated modern cushion cut cente, with round brilliant side stines.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
It has been nearly impossible to find actual pictures of the ring with the setting visible. Different replica sites have different designs. Do you think this might be closer to it?
Also, yeah, Imma go for an elongated modern cushion cut cente, with round brilliant side stines.

I think that is closer- but if you are doing a fully custom ring you might as well ask for the prongs on the side stones to be the way they are in the screenshot I posted- the pair of prongs that are closer to the main stain are set further apart than the out pair of prongs (on the side stones.)
It's a minor tweak, but definitely something that will make the ring look like a mass produced repro ring.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I was able to find this picture of her original from Harry ring- You can really see the prong detail here.
I think the fact that you don't see much of the basket/gallery is a byproduct of that it must be set relatively low, so there isn't much to see.

I would share this picture with whoever you choose to create the ring.

meghan-old-new-engagement-rings-1561330822.jpg

sne3103

Rough_Rock
I think that is closer- but if you are doing a fully custom ring you might as well ask for the prongs on the side stones to be the way they are in the screenshot I posted- the pair of prongs that are closer to the main stain are set further apart than the out pair of prongs (on the side stones.)
It's a minor tweak, but definitely something that will make the ring look like a mass produced repro ring.

Makes sense, and hopefully they’ll be able to do it!

sne3103

Rough_Rock
Oh I was able to find this picture of her original from Harry ring- You can really see the prong detail here.
I think the fact that you don't see much of the basket/gallery is a byproduct of that it must be set relatively low, so there isn't much to see.

I would share this picture with whoever you choose to create the ring.

meghan-old-new-engagement-rings-1561330822.jpg

So if I show this to Tianyu, they should be able to figure out what kinda basket its set in? Sorry for sounding so dumb, but I’m cluless compared to you guys

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
So if I show this to Tianyu, they should be able to figure out what kinda basket its set in? Sorry for sounding so dumb, but I’m cluless compared to you guys

I would send them that picture and say that you want to replicate the ring (specifically the prongs.) They will respond with CADs that you will need to approve and the basket/gallery will be visible in the CADs - then come back and post them here (you can label it CAD check) and people will help you.

sne3103

Rough_Rock
I would send them that picture and say that you want to replicate the ring (specifically the prongs.) They will respond with CADs that you will need to approve and the basket/gallery will be visible in the CADs - then come back and post them here (you can label it CAD check) and people will help you.

Ok, thank you SO much! Its so much clearer to me how to proceed :)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i think that center stone looks more square the sidestones bigger in proportion to your inspiration ring

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
MiniMeghan.jpg
A mini version that I saved.
Link

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring has the pinched outside prongs on the sidestones - it was an easy detail to ask for although I had to have the CAD tweaked a couple of times to get both my side-stones tucked enough plus the prongs on the outside pinched in. 20191225_115444.jpg

Mine wasn't a deliberate copy of Meghan's - I started out with a round center - but as she was working on the setting my now wife liked the look of the prongs on the outside being closer to the band width (only 1.8 mm at the shoulder) so they didn't look so squared off.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I did the Meghan ring like the picture you posted first. It was with an antique cushion and modern rounds because that is all they offered. I bought some baby antique cushion’s and I was going to replace them as side stones but I never ended up doing it. I would suggest for the antique cushion to do an 8 mm center with 4.5-5 mm cushion side stones. Remember that cushion’s do face up smaller then rounds. If you have a small finger, you can shrink the sizes down a bit.

You can also do the center with an elongated modern cushion and modern H&A rounds. Several people have done 3 stone version’s of this on other longer threads or you can search on the reddit moissanite page, which has a lot of CAD’s. This one was a trellis setting but you can also switch to a basket setting and taper it in at the to where it meets the rounds.

I tried their 18K but it was very orange and almost looked like brass. I would go with the 14K yellow gold and they now do it with platinum prongs. I would consider going with Starsgem as they have done version’s of this ring many times. There are also a couple examples on the August Vintage thread in FFJ. The Chinese vendors have done this setting a few times now. I would ask them for video’s of the two types of stones and see which ones you like better.

DD4C944C-8B61-4E2A-8A60-2A7107518B78.jpeg
4181BF9A-FDB0-40C1-8927-3B3AC5824469.jpeg 5B1B9D06-5947-45D3-A0EF-F1BDAA89B40C.jpeg
29F4E213-0FA6-4F14-9850-255205C07CE1.jpeg 590A5466-D1CB-4628-A71E-1CA478BD2D89.jpeg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring has the pinched outside prongs on the sidestones - it was an easy detail to ask for although I had to have the CAD tweaked a couple of times to get both my side-stones tucked enough plus the prongs on the outside pinched in. 20191225_115444.jpg

Mine wasn't a deliberate copy of Meghan's - I started out with a round center - but as she was working on the setting my now wife liked the look of the prongs on the outside being closer to the band width (only 1.8 mm at the shoulder) so they didn't look so squared off.

This is the prong detail I am talking about! I love it! I can't exactly articulate why I appreciate that small tweak so much- but it just makes the setting seem a little more elegant and purposeful? Beautiful ring!

sne3103

Rough_Rock

Yes! This is a very good point.. I’m wondering if you could share the CAD for this one?

sne3103

Rough_Rock
I did the Meghan ring like the picture you posted first. It was with an antique cushion and modern rounds because that is all they offered. I bought some baby antique cushion’s and I was going to replace them as side stones but I never ended up doing it. I would suggest for the antique cushion to do an 8 mm center with 4.5-5 mm cushion side stones. Remember that cushion’s do face up smaller then rounds. If you have a small finger, you can shrink the sizes down a bit.

You can also do the center with an elongated modern cushion and modern H&A rounds. Several people have done 3 stone version’s of this on other longer threads or you can search on the reddit moissanite page, which has a lot of CAD’s. This one was a trellis setting but you can also switch to a basket setting and taper it in at the to where it meets the rounds.

I tried their 18K but it was very orange and almost looked like brass. I would go with the 14K yellow gold and they now do it with platinum prongs. I would consider going with Starsgem as they have done version’s of this ring many times. There are also a couple examples on the August Vintage thread in FFJ. The Chinese vendors have done this setting a few times now. I would ask them for video’s of the two types of stones and see which ones you like better.

DD4C944C-8B61-4E2A-8A60-2A7107518B78.jpeg
4181BF9A-FDB0-40C1-8927-3B3AC5824469.jpeg 5B1B9D06-5947-45D3-A0EF-F1BDAA89B40C.jpeg
29F4E213-0FA6-4F14-9850-255205C07CE1.jpeg 590A5466-D1CB-4628-A71E-1CA478BD2D89.jpeg

Thank you for weighing in. Beautiful ring!
I think I’m gonna do an elongated (like 9x8) modern cushion cut, with 4 mm (Or smaller) H&A side stones. My ring size is 6, so about average.
Do you have any idea if the original Meghan ring has a trellis or a basket setting? Also, I was thinking white gold prongs.. any reason platinum is better?

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the quality, I had to crop these from emails on my phone. This was the CAD just before one final alteration to make sure the inner prongs were tucked in as far as possible. Screenshot_20200703-133228_Gmail.jpg Screenshot_20200703-133140_Gmail.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results