shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Happy anniversary! Your poor people's food is making me hungry. I still remember the time I made Ukrainian style syrniki for my fiance's family. Unfortunately, they can't enjoy borscht or Olivier salad because they don't eat pickles.

Like @Daisys and Diamonds I'd love it if you share your recipes.

Great! Syrniki is one of my favorite foods! I also enjoy eating borscht a lot. If cook adds pickles to the dish it is called solyanka, even yummier in my opinion! And Olivie salad is a must have on our New Year table. The New Year doesn't come to homes if there is no Olivie! Are these good people having Ukrainian roots? There are many Ukrainians in Canada, my husband's first cousin is one of them.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Great! Syrniki is one of my favorite food! I also enjoy eating borscht a lot. If cook adds pickles to the dish it is called solyanka, even yummier in my opinion! And Olivie salad is a must have on our New Year table. The New Year doesn't come to homes if there is no Olivie! Are these good people having Ukrainian roots? There are many Ukrainians in Canada, my husband's first cousin is one of them.

No, the family is English-Canadian, some small amount of German blood according to DNA test results, but no ancestors from Eastern Europe.

I'm just the person introducing different foods to them from around the world, and I knew they would love syrniki because of the cheese. I also made plov for them on another occasion. If they had Ukrainian roots, I don't think they could dislike pickled vegetables in their foods! I bought them lots of flavors of Ptasie Mleczko and Alyosha chocolates with hazlenut one Christmas when I discovered Starsky Fine Foods in Toronto. My fiance's grandmother really enjoyed the lemon jelly chocolates.

One thing I miss in my area of California is the international foods. I loved buying ready-to-eat Russian foods in the cute little markets in Boston/Cambridge. Now if I want to eat any, I have to muster up the effort to make my own.

I'm kind of considering making turkey kotlet for American Thanksgiving instead of my regular turkey meatloaf. Unlike my fiance's family, my family doesn't like to eat the same thing every single time a holiday comes around. I hate Thanksgiving leftovers, so I've been looking for ways to use turkey in ways other than a roast turkey.

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200827_130653.jpg
This is my takeout pho before I start putting in the hot sauce. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely unhealthy food but yummy :lickout:. We were eating mostly high fat/high calorie starchy foods in Ukraine when we were a part of the USSR because of being working hard physically and also because the climate was harsh. Our made in the USSR clothes and shoes didn't protect us from cold weather, our flats/apartments (aka affordable housing) were chilly during long winters. My mom as well as my MIL made this dish at least 2 times a week and neither of us were fat. Starchy potatoes fried in oil with often added pork belly most likely contributed at least 1500 calories to daily intake. I now cook the dish no more than a few times per year, only when husband asks or for major holiday.

You can thaw your franks in the fridge than fry them with onions and add to any side dish you want. Pasta, rice or mushed potatoes if you want to be sinful would work perfectly and they are much easier to cook :bigsmile:.

back in the cold war my friends and i used to wonder what life was like behind the iron curtain
just because we didn't like communism didn't mean we didn't care about people like you and your family
my friend's dad used to frequent a seaman's pub down the warf and would often bring Soviet fisherman home for dinner with his family

i feel so sad you were cold
houses here are tradionaly notoriously cold but our winter is not even in the same book as a Ukraine winter

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
have been eating sort of terribly fatty but most yummy treats. The biggest frequent indulgence has got to be ice cream. Husband and i share a pint. Ive been thinking about getting an ice cream maker for the longest time but don't actually get around to buying one.

followed by large family size bag of sea salt kettle chips. thankfully, that is now tapered off and no longer allowed in the house.

before lockdown i was 60% to 70% plant based and the rest of the time would have poultry as ive given up red meat for several years. but since lockdown i have consumed more poultry and lots more dairy. i find dairy comforting, i suppose.

many more grilled cheese sandwiches.

since lockdown, we haven't once gotten takeout. my friends all get to enjoy takeout. but hubby is just being extra cautious.

when lockdown first started we started drinking wine, gin, and vodka to cope. ..prior to that we both hadnt any drink in a year just didn't feel like it. Glad the drinking has also tapered off. Plenty of booze in the house but just don't feel like it.

favorite ice creams:

van leeuwen ice cream earl grey tea
mcconnell ice cream turkish coffee, eureka lemon marion berry, vanilla
haagen dazs matcha, coffee

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss Pho....... :cry: the place nearest me just reopened a month ago. I'm guessing the owner got sick with covid (its a small family place)

Tonight I'm making curry goat. Or rather I've already made it, its just still kinda cookin...

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Needed to add this photo.

A local farm is offering “bonfire experiences” where they make the fire and you toast house made marshmallows. I live near a major city so it is getting a lot of traction, but you’re maybe 50 feet from the nearest group so it feels safe.

This a s’mores with strawberry marshmallow: 4265F4A3-D3AF-4F4C-98BD-727A850FD4F7.jpeg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Pork souvlaki, my version of succotash and spinach salad. Cannoli for dessert.

cheers--Sharon

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I know is my husband has lost weight and is looking VERY trim since we are not going to restaurants and he can no longer get takeout for lunch lol! People have commented on how skinny he looks! Also we are not buying junk food on a whim because we are only doing click and collect for groceries. Same story for alcohol. So he is very healthy!

I, on the other hand, am 9 months pregnant just about... so I’ve gained quite a lot of weight ;-)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Needed to add this photo.

A local farm is offering “bonfire experiences” where they make the fire and you toast house made marshmallows. I live near a major city so it is getting a lot of traction, but you’re maybe 50 feet from the nearest group so it feels safe.

This a s’mores with strawberry marshmallow: 4265F4A3-D3AF-4F4C-98BD-727A850FD4F7.jpeg

Holy F##k !
i want to try that !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I know is my husband has lost weight and is looking VERY trim since we are not going to restaurants and he can no longer get takeout for lunch lol! People have commented on how skinny he looks! Also we are not buying junk food on a whim because we are only doing click and collect for groceries. Same story for alcohol. So he is very healthy!

I, on the other hand, am 9 months pregnant just about... so I’ve gained quite a lot of weight ;-)

Think how healthy you little baby will be when he/she pops out =)2
I know we have been eatting a lot healther since we went to online grocery delivery

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Cooked for the toddler and her family. Ground chicken thighs with rice and lentils. Added egg, shredded cheese, sour cream, ground pepper and worcestershire sauce. And I didn't forget to include finely chopped salted anchovies. So these patties are indeed yummy! Next time I should add chopped green onion and see what is the toddler reaction.
IMG_2815.JPG

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent yesterday driving around the state to get fresh veggies and fruits right from the farms. Almost 12 hours of driving to visit 6 different farms and stands. Loaded my car full of delicious stuff! Now I have to cook it all before it spoils...

9 watermelons
2 santa clause melons
1 Hami melon
3 cantaloupe
3 giant zucchini (10-15 pounds each)
12 pounds zucchini
28 pounds tomatoes
5 gallon bucket of assorted chili peppers
4 eggplants
30 pounds apples/pears
10 pounds peaches
3 pounds plums (or heart pluots?)
60 or so ears of corn
Cherries
Local apple blossom honey
Local raw honey (I forget the flower)
IMG_20200903_091420337.jpg IMG_20200903_091447786.jpg IMG_20200903_091455105.jpg IMG_20200903_094906775.jpg IMG_20200903_105755978.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I spent yesterday driving around the state to get fresh veggies and fruits right from the farms. Almost 12 hours of driving to visit 6 different farms and stands. Loaded my car full of delicious stuff! Now I have to cook it all before it spoils...

9 watermelons
2 santa clause melons
1 Hami melon
3 cantaloupe
12 pounds zucchini
28 pounds tomatoes
4 eggplants
30 pounds apples/pears
10 pounds peaches
60 or so ears of corn
Cherries
IMG_20200903_091420337.jpg IMG_20200903_091447786.jpg IMG_20200903_091455105.jpg IMG_20200903_094906775.jpg IMG_20200903_105755978.jpg

Whoa.....are you canning and pickling everything? How in the world are you going to go through all that produce before they spoil? What is the size of your family?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa.....are you canning and pickling everything? How in the world are you going to go through all that produce before they spoil? What is the size of your family?

That is the challenge of the day. I bought with unspecific plans (in part because it being seasonal and stuff I didn't know what I would end up with). There are just the two of us...

Corn: smoke, cut off cobbs, use for salads and freeze bags for later

Smaller zucchini: ratatouille (also uses tomatoes, eggplant, peppers)

Bigger zucchini: stuff with tomatoes and ground turkey and eat for the next week

Pasta sauce to freeze.
Salsa. (Need to see how long this keeps fresh. May need to take it to my grandma and learn to can.)

I'm probably giving some away to a friend and my grandparents too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is the challenge of the day. I bought with unspecific plans (in part because it being seasonal and stuff I didn't know what I would end up with). There are just the two of us...

Corn: smoke, cut off cobbs, use for salads and freeze bags for later

Smaller zucchini: ratatouille (also uses tomatoes, eggplant, peppers)

Bigger zucchini: stuff with tomatoes and ground turkey and eat for the next week

Pasta sauce to freeze.
Salsa. (Need to see how long this keeps fresh. May need to take it to my grandma and learn to can.)

I'm probably giving some away to a friend and my grandparents too.

That sack of corn is taking me back to happy days
We call a big zucchini a marrow
What os a santa Claus mellon ?
Chillies freeze really well

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sack of corn is taking me back to happy days
We call a big zucchini a marrow
What os a santa Claus mellon ?
Chillies freeze really well

Santa Claus melons taste similar to honeydew. I don't see them in stores much. It is fun to try different melons when I find them at the farms.

Do you freeze the chilis whole or roast before freezing or do something different?
IMG_20200903_144001885.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Santa Claus melons taste similar to honeydew. I don't see them in stores much. It is fun to try different melons when I find them at the farms.

Do you freeze the chilis whole or roast before freezing or do something different?

Yum
I love honey dew the best
Im terrible - i chuck the chillie as in straight into the frezzzer on the shelf on the door where i throw the ginger
I usually only have one or two so i don't even bother wrapping it or putting it into a container which is probably ideal - you could also dry them - hang them up somewhere cool and dry - or just lay a few on the kitchen window sill

voce

Ideal_Rock

9 watermelons
2 santa clause melons
1 Hami melon
3 cantaloupe
12 pounds zucchini
28 pounds tomatoes
4 eggplants
30 pounds apples/pears
10 pounds peaches
60 or so ears of corn
Cherries

Wow, what an awesome "problem" to have! :lickout:

Btw, I think you should freeze the smaller, spicier chilies whole (my mom cooks with frozen Thai chilies), and chop up the larger, non-spicy peppers into small pieces before freezing. That way you cut down on defrost time and have more flexibility of how much you can pull out to use.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Btw, I think you should freeze the smaller, spicier chilies whole (my mom cooks with frozen Thai chilies), and chop up the larger, non-spicy peppers into small pieces before freezing. That way you cut down on defrost time and have more flexibility of how much you can pull out to use.

Great idea! I was just looking at the big bag of spicier ones wondering how to handle them all.

Just smoked a pan of medium-ish heat peppers and a couple of dozen ears of corn. Lots more to go tomorrow! IMG_20200903_215811291.jpg IMG_20200903_224638183.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
y'all's food looks amazing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I cut mine (with scissors) still frozen straight into the pan

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I added a serrano pepper to DH's breakfast this morning. Just one. I have done this with peppers from the store before so didn't anticipate a problem. He says it tasted delicious. Good, but.... WOW. The cloud of chili essence it put into the air as it cooked left me coughing with lungs and sinuses burning like you wouldn't believe. 30 minutes later and my sinuses are still sore.
Important lesson is that fresh chilis pack a lot more flavor than the ones from the grocery store. Plan and ventilate the room accordingly :lol:

IMG_20200904_083235134.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results