shape
carat
color
clarity

Hope the President does a good job for USA

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course the left don't wanna talk about the record highs on wall street...:whistle:

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I can never decide which thread to put these in. From New York Magazine:
This Is What the Trump Abyss Looks Like
By Andrew Sullivan
The past week was another watershed, it seems to me, in the rising power of Donald Trump. Flake is quitting; Corker is retiring; McCain is mortal. Sasse, Murkowski, Collins, and Paul remain, but the odds are mounting against them. A new slew of Bannonite candidates is emerging from under various rocks and crannies to take their places. The Trump propaganda machine was given a chance to turn the Russia story into a Clinton scandal - lowering even further the possibility of impeachment - and gleefully took it. The FBI is the next target for a barrage of hostile propaganda, since it might expose the Supreme Leader. Mueller is being daily savaged in the right wing press. Outside Washington, Trump’s targets are faltering. The NFL is reeling; a Gold Star widow is attacked; Obamacare is at risk of being sabotaged to death; the EPA is castrated.

This time last year, I warned about an abyss. This is what it looks like.

The Congress is paralyzed, reduced entirely to staffing the judiciary with the far right; it can pass no significant legislation and reach no compromise on anything, without Trump undermining it. The bureaucracy is shell-shocked and demoralized; the State Department is a wasteland; the press has sunk even further into public disdain. The police are increasingly seen either as incapable of error, or morally suspect. The essential civilian control of the military has been weakened, with an embittered general’s honor now deployed as a way to play political defense in front of the press corps. “My generals”, as the president calls them, as if they swear loyalty to him and not to the Constitution. The Republican candidate for the Senate from Alabama, Roy Moore, believes that there should be a religious test for public office. As Ben Sasse blurted out yesterday: “It feels like this party I’m a member of has gone post-Constitutional.”

The discourse has been coarsened to sub-tabloid levels; the courts’ authority has been weakened by their own over-reach and Trump’s refusal to follow core Constitutional norms.. The neutral institutions that might be capable of bringing the president to heel, such as the FBI, are now being trashed by their ultimate boss. The possibility of a shared truth, about which we can have differing opinions, has evaporated in a blizzard of web-fueled distraction and misdirection, aided and abetted by a president for whom reality is whatever he wants it to be at any given moment, and always susceptible to change. It turns out that Mark Zuckerberg’s real achievement will be the collapse of a rational public dialogue and the empowerment of Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin.

Almost all our liberal democratic norms and institutions are much weaker today than they were a year ago. Trump has not assaulted the Constitution directly. He has not refused a court order, so far. But he has obstructed justice in his firing of James Comey, and abused the spirit of the pardon power by using it for a public official who violated citizens’ Constitutional rights, before he was even sentenced. In the most worrying case so far, he has refused to enforce the sanctions against Russia that were passed by a veto-proof margin by the Congress. I fear this is because his psyche cannot actually follow the instructions of anyone but himself. This is also why, after failing to repeal, replace or amend Obamacare, he has not faithfully executed the law, but actively sabotaged it. If he does not have his way, he will either sulk and refuse to do his constitutional duty, or he will simply smash whatever institution or law that obstructs his will. At some point, we may come to a more profound test of his ability to operate as just one of three equal branches of government. I think he’ll fail it.

Yes, the forms of the Constitution remain largely intact after nine months. But the norms that make the Constitution work are crumbling. The structure looks the same, but Trump has relentlessly attacked their foundations. Do not therefore keep your eyes on the surface. Put your ear to the ground.

And we know something after a year of this. It will go on. This is not a function of strategy or what we might ordinarily describe as will. It is because this president is so psychologically disordered he cannot behave in any other way. His emotions control his mind; his narcissism overwhelms even basic self-interest, let alone the interest of the country as a whole. He cannot unite the country, even if, somewhere in his fathomless vanity, he wants to. And he cannot stop this manic defense of ego because if he did, his very self would collapse. This is why he lies and why he cannot admit a single one of them. He is psychologically incapable of accepting that he could be wrong and someone else could be right. His impulse - which he cannot control - is simply to assault the person who points out the error, or blame someone else for it. Remember his excruciating pre-election admission that his foul racist lies about Obama’s birthplace originated with Hillary Clinton? That’s as good as you’ll get and it’s the only concession to reality he has made so far. And do not underestimate the stamina of the psychologically unwell. They will exhaust you long before they will ever exhaust themselves.

But by far the most important development in all this, the single essential rampart, is how, through all this, Trump has tightened his grip on 35 percent of the country. He has done this when he has succeeded but also critically when he has failed, because he has brilliantly turned his incapacity to be president into an asset with his base. No wall? Congress’ fault. Obamacare in place? The GOP’s fault. No tax cut? Ditto. The only way forward? A deeper and deeper trust in him. Only he can fix the Congress by purging it. Only he can fix the Courts through nominees who will never stand up to him.

And this base support is unshakable. It is not susceptible to reason. No scandal, however great, will dislodge it - because he has invaded his followers’ minds and psyches as profoundly as he has the rest of ours. He is fused with them more deeply now, a single raging id, a force that helps us understand better how civilized countries can descend so quickly into barbarism. In a country led by a swirling void, all sorts of inhibitions slowly slip away. Nativism, racism, nationalism: these are very potent catalysts of human darkness. Usually it is the president who takes responsibility when these demons appear to emerge, and attempts to refute, or discredit or calm them. But this one amps them up. That is why we have the astonishing scenario of his two predecessors trying to do what he cannot. They know the fire he is playing with. And they have some sense of responsibility. He has absolutely none.

He is the total master of an enormous mob that, so far, has completely overcome the elites. He achieves this mastery through incendiary oratory, hourly provocations, and relentless propaganda. His rallies are events of mass hysteria and rage. His propaganda machines - Fox News, Limbaugh, Breitbart, Drudge - rarely crack. And there is no one in our political life capable of matching this power. Name one, if you can. And when you look at the Democratic field of 2020, no one seems up to it at all. Among the few responsible Republicans left, what we see is either utter cowardice in the face of an enraged base, or the kind of courage that manifests itself too late to make a difference, which is to say no real courage at all. There are a few exceptions: Senators Collins and Murkowski in particular, doggedly playing their Constitutional roles and not quitting. The rest? The only thing we have to slow this assault is already Congressional roadkill.
[for more, click on this link]

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 2.36.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 2.36.27 PM.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What the actual fuck?
I don't know about you, but I'm self-soothing in between ranting tirades and pathetic weeping. Good thing I'm home with only the cats. Those poor creatures are snorting copious amounts of catnip in their own self-soothing attempts to deal with their crazy momma.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about you, but I'm self-soothing in between ranting tirades and pathetic weeping. Good thing I'm home with only the cats. Those poor creatures are snorting copious amounts of catnip in their own self-soothing attempts to deal with their crazy momma.

This posting is rated excellent for use of imagery; irony; and great SAT vocabulary words.

(But the reader's sympathies are extended to the posting's author.)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This posting is rated excellent for use of imagery; irony; and great SAT vocabulary words.

(But the reader's sympathies are extended to the posting's author.)
:mrgreen2:
I'm being flagrantly dramatic.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did enjoy it and I kept thinking, we as America are de-evolving.. devolving? A Buckley conservative to Trump.. mind boggling. It's like Pandora's Box.. it's opened but how do we get this bad genie back in the box or bottle? can we go back to being cordial? I don't think so.

It seemed fitting to put this here since I do not want to open a new thread. It is an interesting read from a perspective I identify with for the most part. Some of you may enjoy it even though it is long.

http://amp.nationalreview.com/artic...ail&utm_term=0_cfcb868ceb-f1c21172fd-83959769

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did enjoy it and I kept thinking, we as America are de-evolving.. devolving? A Buckley conservative to Trump.. mind boggling. It's like Pandora's Box.. it's opened but how do we get this bad genie back in the box or bottle? can we go back to being cordial? I don't think so.
I am glad you enjoyed it.
We are devolving for sure but in politics and people in general, and not only among conservatives. I have been reading quite a bit online with interviews of people from all walks of life and there is so much hate/vitriol with no attempt at understanding at all. Makes me want to hide in my own small part of the world and enjoy my own bit of happiness that I feel I earned, damn the rest of it. People are only interested in talking past each other.

Edit - I have to add that the pull to identify with one's "tribe" is strong and it takes a lot to resist it.

Last edited:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course the left don't wanna talk about the record highs on wall street...:whistle:

Wakey Wakey, Dear NapKing!: We've been trying to talk about them for years---->hello income disparity/1-%-ers/distribution of wealth.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wakey Wakey, Dear NapKing!: We've been trying to talk about them for years---->hello income disparity/1-%-ers/distribution of wealth.
the stock market only for the rich? an avg person don't own any 401K or IRAs?..:rolleyes:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the stock market only for the rich? an avg person don't own any 401K or IRAs?..:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: That's not "playing" the stock market, and you know it. Bit different when someone's sitting in an office silently and inactively collecting interest/money vs actively playing the freaking market.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dammit. My post doubled and then when I deleted one it deleted both.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dammit. My post doubled and then when I deleted one it deleted both.

DF will say it's part of the liberal conspiracy to keep you from posting. :cheeky:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not so sure about this article. I was able to find relationship to victim, race, ethnicity in the new Explorer and I like the way it is displayed rather than a static table that is not user friendly. Click on a state in the Home page and all of the info comes up. It is even by year if you change the drop down or move the line on the graph.

https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud.gov/

Here is homicide info for my state
https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud.gov/explorer/state/idaho/homicide

The tables look like this below and you have to go to many pages to view the same info as the Explorer. Why do that when you can look at nicely laid out info for the general public and download if you need it for study purposes? It seems to me that a dynamic website rather than so many static pages taking up space on a server would be better yes? It looks like the FBI is trying to enter the 21st century.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....murder_circumstances_by_relationship_2015.xls

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“it also seems like part of a trend in the Trump administration: the suppression of government data and an unwillingness to share information with the press and public.” - from the article.
And that was the point of this whole article. Not accurate information disseminated to the public.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
And that was the point of this whole article. Not accurate information disseminated to the public.

If you are talking about the fivethirtyeight article @Tekate linked to, it’s not the accuracy of the information that is being raised; its the availability (or lack of availability to be precise).

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are talking about the fivethirtyeight article @Tekate linked to, it’s not the accuracy of the information that is being raised; its the availability (or lack of availability to be precise).
I found the info that "seemed" to be missing just fine in the Explorer program. The accuracy I spoke of is the article not FBI data. All of the raw data is still available for studies.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I found the info that "seemed" to be missing just fine in the Explorer program. The accuracy I spoke of is the article not FBI data.

Perhaps you should share with fiverhirtyeight. Better yet, post the tables here. I’d love to see them.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps you should share with fiverhirtyeight. Better yet, post the tables here. I’d love to see them.
Why don't you look upthread. If you want tables there are nice little download links on the Explorer program back to 1995. I don't care that statisticians might have to work a little harder for their info. It's not like the FBI just stopped collecting it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results