shape
carat
color
clarity

History between Mark (ERD) and Leon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sofin

Rough_Rock
So, I''ve read randomly on various posts that there was some history between Mark and Leon. Anyone know what the story is?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 2:22:04 PM
Author:sofin
So, I''ve read randomly on various posts that there was some history between Mark and Leon. Anyone know what the story is?
I imagine if either of them thought it was your business, they would have chosen to share that with you
33.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why is their history relevant? I know both men and would never venture to ask.
P.S. Purr, I should take lessons from you in being direct.
2.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
their history may be relevant to the original poster or others considering doing business with one or both. being rude isnt necessary to make your point --or your opinion--

sofin

Rough_Rock
In the instance that I do decide to use them in the future, it would be relevant in my decision-making process.

Just because you ''know'' both of them and you didn''t care to ask, doesn''t mean that it is not relevant to others but thanks for your responses and bumping the thread up ;-)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sofin,

I mean no ill. I''m honestly curious as to why the history is relevant, even to someone working with both parties. I myself am in such a position. As a matter of professional courtesy (at least as I perceive it), I''m refraining from asking either man what, if anything, happened. My earlier post contains no normative judgement of someone doing otherwise. If you have other questions about working with either Leon or Mark, I''d be happy to try to help.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I was considering using both at some point but based on some of the experiences I heard on PS - I was actually worried. I contemplated on not disclosing who I got the diamond from but what is the point.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 3:46:12 PM
Author: bgray
their history may be relevant to the original poster or others considering doing business with one or both. being rude isnt necessary to make your point --or your opinion--
In most social sets it would be considered quite rude to even inquire about something personal between two men. The fact that they are both in the jewelry business does not make them fair game for gossip.

I suppose I should have said "go ask them directly if you think it''s your business". To discuss personal issues between the two of them and not go to the source is merely gossip.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you buy your stone from one and have the other set it there is no reason why their paths would ever cross. My diamond vendor never asked what I was going to do with my stone. My custom jeweler never asked where my stone came from.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Purr, Swingirl,
Good points (or are they opinions?).

Sofin,
Should you choose to ask Leon about said history, I wish you good luck.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 8:17:36 PM
Author: swingirl
If you buy your stone from one and have the other set it there is no reason why their paths would ever cross. My diamond vendor never asked what I was going to do with my stone. My custom jeweler never asked where my stone came from.
That may be true in your case, but in mine Mark walked over to Leon with the diamond.

In any case, both vendors were highly professional with my fiance and myself. If there is something going on between the two, they didn''t show it, but more importantly, it''s none of our business.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
its a very small industry and everyone knows everyone. i too have done business with both as well as others in the nyc diamond world--people know this stuff. "social set"
face22.gif
protocol aside--there are numerous reasons why this might be relevant to some.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
From PS Forum Policies:
"Members of the diamond and jewelry trade must identify themselves by specifying their personal and business names in their profiles."

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too don't know the history, but I will say that Mark was nothing but professional with me when I told him I was considering Leon for my setting. Mark also told me he would be happy to deliver my stone directly to Leon if that was the direction I decided on.

I didn't end up using Leon, but regardless of their history they seem to have a peaceful relationship now, which is all that matters to me as a consumer. And should be the only relevant thing for other consumers in the position of wanting to work with both vendors.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 9:50:48 PM
Author: Harriet
From PS Forum Policies:
''Members of the diamond and jewelry trade must identify themselves by specifying their personal and business names in their profiles.''
what does this have to do with what is being discussed here?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
neatfreak,
Exactly. Since PS is a consumer forum, why the history would be relevant to us eludes me.
P.S. I met Mark about a cushion in the summer. Mark noticed that my other rings were by Leon and stated that he would not compete with Leon on settings where it came to existing customers. I appreciated his professionalism.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
We are not discussing the behavior of social sets in this thread. Several PSers have reported having difficulites with Leon when bringing him a diamond purchased from Mark. This has become a professional concern and the topic of a recent thread. If issues that [may] exist between them are reflected in customer service, it should be brought to the attention of this community. Neither Mark nor Leon is obliged to inform us about the nature of their difficulties, but we have the right to discuss this matter as it impacts the consumer.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2008 11:31:12 PM
neatfreak,

Exactly. Since PS is a consumer forum, why the history would be relevant to us eludes me.

P.S. I met Mark about a cushion in the summer. Mark noticed that my other rings were by Leon and stated that he would not compete with Leon on settings where it came to existing customers. I appreciated his professionalism.

Ditto

I don''t think it matters at all I have not met Mark but have meet Leon and FI worked with him on my e-ring and I cannot say enough nice things about LM, he is a absolutely lovely and provided fantastic customer service and was totally professional.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
neatfreak,
Because this is a CONSUMER forum is EXACTLY why the history and relationship might be relevant. Mark and Leon have had a fractious relationship that HAS interfered with some customers plans regarding a stone and ring project. It may be irrelevant to some of you but it is well known that their problems have caused tension for some customers. I was caught in the middle of one. Leon has had difficulties with other diamond vendors--he has lost many valuable relationships because of his game playing and agenda. Because this is a CONSUMER forum I would think peoples'' concerns about potential issues or problems with vendors would be fair game for discussion. The condescension and rudeness by some of the posters is really disturbing.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 8:39:05 AM

neatfreak,

Because this is a CONSUMER forum is EXACTLY why the history and relationship might be relevant. Mark and Leon have had a fractious relationship that HAS interfered with some customers plans regarding a stone and ring project. It may be irrelevant to some of you but it is well known that their problems have caused tension for some customers. I was caught in the middle of one. Leon has had difficulties with other diamond vendors--he has lost many valuable relationships because of his game playing and agenda. Because this is a CONSUMER forum I would think peoples'' concerns about potential issues or problems with vendors would be fair game for discussion. The condescension and rudeness by some of the posters is really disturbing.

It sounds to me, and please correct me if I am wrong, that those that have had issues regarding this problem have seen those problems in dealings with Leon only. IMO, if Mark is handling himself professionally regarding their history, and Leon is not, it is only relevant to the consumer to know that Leon isn''t handling himself in a professional matter.

Talking about it as an issue between Leon and Mark makes it sound like Mark is causing the consumer problems, which if he has for some people, then they should tell us their experiences. But this seems rather one sided so far and if it indeed is one sided it is more relevant to talk about the problems people have had with vendors specifically, not the irrelevant history between vendors.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

IMHO, these kinds of issues should be discussed in context of VERY "specific" events: e.g. consumer X states this and this happened in much the same way they would relay events of dealing with any other vendor. Otherwise speaking in "generalities" ususally involves heresay and devolves into personality dissection.

If someone has a xpecific event to discuss, then discuss it--otherwise this "he said she said" is pandering and in poor form.

cheers--Sharon

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
per neatfreaks previous post--well said. i think the original poster was just asking is very generally--ie whats the deal here? (to be honest mark is a very nice guy and i do believe based on my experiences that it is a one-sided thing--however i think determining the circumstances/situation was the point oif the question--my opinion only)

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I too have read many posts on here that eluded to the fact that Leon was having an issue with some of Mark''s stones. There was a very specific post about it quite recently in fact by Goobear78 where Leon kept ''putting down'' her diamond knowing full well Mark had picked it out. She was quite upset by this and was actually brought to tears by his comments. Here''s the thread I''m talking about:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-appointment-with-leon-mege.95202/

Often times I see on these boards users have information and/or opinions on some of these people but are unwilling to share them for whatever reason. Unwilling to share the details, but acknowledge the fact that there is some tension. Why do that if no one is willing to explain? For newer members such as myself it''s like there is an ''in the know'' group and a ''those that don''t deserve to have the information passed down'' group. That doesn''t exactly seem prudent if this really is a consumer''s forum. Shouldn''t we be sharing the good, the bad and the ugly here so that sound decisions can be made?

I''m not in the market to get another ring at this moment, but based on what I''ve read here at Pricescope I''d be a bit leary of taking anything from Mark to Leon as it seems Leon has some sort of bugaboo with Mark. Not knowing what that issue is, or how it could potentially affect me, I''d most likely take my business elsewhere even though Leon''s settings are absolutely gorgeous.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the only thing I can say is that I bought my diamond from Mark and had Leon set it. I did not have any problems with that.

I don't have any long-term business relation with either gentleman so take my words with a grain of salt.

I cannot really understand in what context Leon would ask where the stone is coming from. In my case, he never did. I think Leon is a man of very few words and I don't see how he would go on small talk or gossip, especially with a new customer. In my dealings with Leon, I found him to be extremely honest and professional.

As far as Mark goes, he is such a gentleman. I doubt he would speak of another member of the trade in a negative manner.

Bottom line, no one should be dissuaded to buy a stone from Mark and have it set by Leon, because of whatever rumours are out there. That's silly. I really doubt that Leon is not going to take a job because the stone came from Mark. That's really silly too.

ETA. In my opinion, some of the recent comments regarding Leon are getting to the point of abnoxious. He is not some sort of celebrity. As a matter of fact, Leon is pretty easy to reach. Anyone could call him up at any time to "get a flavor" for the man. I think the best thing to do for anyone who is considering Leon is to give the man a call and judge for him/herself.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 9:05:47 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

IMHO, these kinds of issues should be discussed in context of VERY ''specific'' events: e.g. consumer X states this and this happened in much the same way they would relay events of dealing with any other vendor. Otherwise speaking in ''generalities'' ususally involves heresay and devolves into personality dissection.

If someone has a xpecific event to discuss, then discuss it--otherwise this ''he said she said'' is pandering and in poor form.

cheers--Sharon

Well said, and totally agreed. I am all for hearing about specific events, but I don''t think these generalities help anyone IMO.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''ve met both of them. I bought my stone from Mark and Leon is setting it.
Mark is the nicest person in "the business" I''ve met throughout my search.
I cannot say enough good about him.
Leon and I found a common ground and he has been very nice to work with.

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 9:21:21 AM
Author: lesco
Well, the only thing I can say is that I bought my diamond from Mark and had Leon set it. I did not have any problems with that.

I don''t have any long-term business relation with either gentleman so take my words with a grain of salt.

I cannot really understand in what context Leon would ask where the stone is coming from. In my case, he never did. I think Leon is a man of very few words and I don''t see how he would go on small talk or gossip, especially with a new customer. In my dealings with Leon, I found him to be extremely honest and professional.

As far as Mark goes, he is such a gentleman. I doubt he would speak of another member of the trade in a negative manner.

Bottom line, no one should be dissuaded to buy a stone from Mark and have it set by Leon, because of whatever rumours are out there. That''s silly. I really doubt that Leon is not going to take a job because the stone came from Mark. That''s really silly too.

ETA. In my opinion, some of the recent comments regarding Leon are getting to the point of abnoxious. He is not some sort of celebrity. As a matter of fact, Leon is pretty easy to reach. Anyone could call him up at any time to ''get a flavor'' for the man. I think the best thing to do for anyone who is considering Leon is to give the man a call and judge for him/herself.
Lesco, well said.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 8:39:05 AM
bgray,
You have repeatedly alluded to possessing industry information. For our sakes qua consumers, would you mind sharing the specifics of what you know? Thank you.

lovinsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 9:16:31 AM
Author: girlie-girl
I too have read many posts on here that eluded to the fact that Leon was having an issue with some of Mark''s stones. There was a very specific post about it quite recently in fact by Goobear78 where Leon kept ''putting down'' her diamond knowing full well Mark had picked it out. She was quite upset by this and was actually brought to tears by his comments. Here''s the thread I''m talking about:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-appointment-with-leon-mege.95202/

Often times I see on these boards users have information and/or opinions on some of these people but are unwilling to share them for whatever reason. Unwilling to share the details, but acknowledge the fact that there is some tension. Why do that if no one is willing to explain? For newer members such as myself it''s like there is an ''in the know'' group and a ''those that don''t deserve to have the information passed down'' group. That doesn''t exactly seem prudent if this really is a consumer''s forum. Shouldn''t we be sharing the good, the bad and the ugly here so that sound decisions can be made?

I''m not in the market to get another ring at this moment, but based on what I''ve read here at Pricescope I''d be a bit leary of taking anything from Mark to Leon as it seems Leon has some sort of bugaboo with Mark. Not knowing what that issue is, or how it could potentially affect me, I''d most likely take my business elsewhere even though Leon''s settings are absolutely gorgeous.
I agree with girlie-girl. On the whole, I think consumers want more information on other consumers'' experiences, not edited versions. If you have had great interactions with a particular vendor, by all means say so. But those who have not should also feel free to post. Consumers should get to see the varying opinions on any vendor before making their decision. That, to me, is the point of a consumer forum. I didn''t find the opening question offensive and am surprised so many others did (especially in light of a clear history of some consumers stating they thought that relationship did effect the service they received). I hope to work with Leon Mege in the future, so none of this stuff bothers me. But in general, I think people have a right to ask questions and share their experiences. In the end, a forum policy (implicit or explicit) of over-protection of vendors to the point of censorship of opposing opinions does not help anyone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2008 11:54:53 AM
Author: lovinsparkles
Date: 11/7/2008 9:16:31 AM

Author: girlie-girl

I agree with girlie-girl. On the whole, I think consumers want more information on other consumers'' experiences, not edited versions. If you have had great interactions with a particular vendor, by all means say so. But those who have not should also feel free to post. Consumers should get to see the varying opinions on any vendor before making their decision. That, to me, is the point of a consumer forum. I didn''t find the opening question offensive and am surprised so many others did (especially in light of a clear history of some consumers stating they thought that relationship did effect the service they received). I hope to work with Leon Mege in the future, so none of this stuff bothers me. But in general, I think people have a right to ask questions and share their experiences. In the end, a forum policy (implicit or explicit) of over-protection of vendors to the point of censorship of opposing opinions does not help anyone.

No one is suggesting censorship here. All we''re saying is that so what if Mark and Leon dislike each other? It only becomes the consumer''s business when one of them causes a problem with a consumer because of it. And in that case the consumer should be free to share their experiences.

But it''s no ones business if both men act professionally with each other and the consumer. If they aren''t, then we want to hear about that person''s experience. Otherwise it''s just spreading gossip...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results