shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Just finished The Witcher. Lots of nudity and violence:oops2::eek2:. It's confusing because I didn't realize they were showing multiple story lines and timelines all at the same time. But everything wraps up in the end. A bit gory for me. But the main guy is hot!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching The Crown season 3.

OMG why did they change roles? I miss Claire Foy. Love her. And while I enjoy the actress playing the role now she looks nothing like Claire Foy and neither does Helena Bonham Carter look like the actress who played the younger Princess Margaret. Cmon talk about leap of faith. Why couldn't they just make the younger actresses look older?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy The thing that bothered me was that the new queen could not maintain the correct accent throughout. I love HBC though, notwithstanding she doesn't look anything like the last actress.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Loved The Crown!! It took me about halfway through the season to accept the new actors. The new queen behaves differently as well. Much more lighthearted, even joking with Philip. Do you think they will change her again?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching The Crown season 3.

OMG why did they change roles? I miss Claire Foy. Love her. And while I enjoy the actress playing the role now she looks nothing like Claire Foy and neither does Helena Bonham Carter look like the actress who played the younger Princess Margaret. Cmon talk about leap of faith. Why couldn't they just make the younger actresses look older?

Had this exact discussion with a friend! LOLOL I suspect the original actresses had acting commitments that they couldn't stay on in the roles. Anyway HBC looks YOUNGER now than ever!

cheers--Sharon

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved The Crown, and agree with the comments about the cast of season 3; I wish they’d have just kept the original cast and used make-up artists to age them vs getting a new cast.

I bing-watched 3 seasons of Versailles this past week, and while it was filled with more sex than necessary, I enjoyed it overall. I tend to enjoy historic/period series like the Crown, Versailles, and (non-Netflix) Band of Brothers, the Pacific, John Adams, etc. more so than traditional movies.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Netflix documentary Rotten, episode bitter chocolate

people complain about blood diamonds, the African cocoa market is just as bad if not worse but will those people give up their chocolate?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy The thing that bothered me was that the new queen could not maintain the correct accent throughout. I love HBC though, notwithstanding she doesn't look anything like the last actress.

Me too. Love all the actors in The Crown. A fine cast. But yes Greg and I totally agree about the accent too. LOL what happened to the director? Why didn't they pick up on that? LOL.

Had this exact discussion with a friend! LOLOL I suspect the original actresses had acting commitments that they couldn't stay on in the roles. Anyway HBC looks YOUNGER now than ever!

cheers--Sharon

Yes! Agreed! And that's interesting about the acting commitments elsewhere perhaps. Greg shared the same thought with me when I was like where did Claire Foy and the others go?

I loved The Crown, and agree with the comments about the cast of season 3; I wish they’d have just kept the original cast and used make-up artists to age them vs getting a new cast.

Exact same thoughts. Why not? But it does take a good number of hours to make someone look older with makeup. IIRC it can take 6 plus hours. But I could be remembering all wrong. In any case, commitments elsewhere or just too labor intensive to make them look older it was a bit disappointing they changed the actors. I get attached lol and though I appreciate all the actors in The Crown I do wish they could have kept the original cast.

Loved The Crown!! It took me about halfway through the season to accept the new actors. The new queen behaves differently as well. Much more lighthearted, even joking with Philip. Do you think they will change her again?

I hope not! My heart can only take so much change. :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just binged my way through 3 seasons of Outlander...and I am NOT a binge watcher. It’s so freaking good!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Marriage Story"
LOVED it.

A Noah Baumbach production. About a marriage as it dies. It is so good. Excellent story and powerful performances by the 2 leading actors. My dh and I both enjoyed it very much. Highly recommend.

So good I watched it twice! It was devastatingly beautiful, lots of tears on my part. The story felt very authentic...I appreciated how the leads were portrayed as complicated, 3-dimensional people, with neither one of them being an all-out villain. They were just two people with good intentions who wanted different things out of life. My guess is a lot of divorced couples fall into this category. Such a bittersweet film.

And the acting - WOW. I'm a huge Adam Driver fan! Saw him on Broadway in "Burn This" and he is hands-down the best actor of his generation. I was super impressed by Scarlett Johansson too.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone watch The Irishman? I loved it!! Not your typical Mafia movie...it was a lot more subtle and nuanced. It was a treat to see so many iconic actors on screen together. I just wish they would've developed at least one female character!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So good I watched it twice! It was devastatingly beautiful, lots of tears on my part. The story felt very authentic...I appreciated how the leads were portrayed as complicated, 3-dimensional people, with neither one of them being an all-out villain. They were just two people with good intentions who wanted different things out of life. My guess is a lot of divorced couples fall into this category. Such a bittersweet film.

And the acting - WOW. I'm a huge Adam Driver fan! Saw him on Broadway in "Burn This" and he is hands-down the best actor of his generation. I was super impressed by Scarlett Johansson too.

Agree on all counts. Wonderful portrayal and it was bittersweet and poignant (sort of like Funny girl in that way-so bittersweet and poignant oh what a movie). I also am an Adam Driver fan (first saw and adored him in Girls on HBO) and love Scarlett Johansson.

Did anyone watch The Irishman? I loved it!! Not your typical Mafia movie...it was a lot more subtle and nuanced. It was a treat to see so many iconic actors on screen together. I just wish they would've developed at least one female character!

Thanks for mentioning this movie. I was debating whether to give it a try (I loathe violence) and based on your recommendation I will give it a chance.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've wanted to watch it, but I don't think I can sit through such a long movie! I might have to break it up half way haha. Glad to hear good reviews though.

people complain about blood diamonds, the African cocoa market is just as bad if not worse but will those people give up their chocolate?

I think I watched the chocolate episode after a few glasses of wine so it's a bit hazy, but I LOVED this show in general. So interesting, and such a unique take on a lot of things we take for granted. I saw they also have a new show "broken" about household items or something.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree on all counts. Wonderful portrayal and it was bittersweet and poignant (sort of like Funny girl in that way-so bittersweet and poignant oh what a movie). I also am an Adam Driver fan (first saw and adored him in Girls on HBO) and love Scarlett Johansson.

Thanks for mentioning this movie. I was debating whether to give it a try (I loathe violence) and based on your recommendation I will give it a chance.

Yes! Poignant and bittersweet are perfect words to describe Marriage Story. So compassionately written and acted.

I, too, can't take much violence in movies (has gotten tougher for me with age) but this was the first Mafia-related movie I've seen that did NOT feature gratuitous violence. There were shootings, sure, but they were almost like a sidebar and not really the focus of the movie. It's more of a character study and a drama about friendship.

I've wanted to watch it, but I don't think I can sit through such a long movie! I might have to break it up half way haha. Glad to hear good reviews though.

It's SUPER. LONG. But totally worth it just for the story and the acting! We broke it up into 4 sittings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Poignant and bittersweet are perfect words to describe Marriage Story. So compassionately written and acted.

I, too, can't take much violence in movies (has gotten tougher with age) but this was the first Mafia-related movie that did NOT feature gratuitous violence. There were shootings, sure, but they were almost like a sidebar and not really the focus of the movie. It's more of a character study and a drama about friendship.

It's SUPER. LONG. But totally worth it just for the story and the acting! We broke it up into 4 sittings.

Thank you @KristyDarling for the further info. I am looking forward to watching it.

And @telephone89 haha we always break up long movies. Neither of us has the patience to sit there and watch for hours and hours.

voce

Ideal_Rock

Chocolate is a more universal addiction compared to diamonds.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so a few updates!
-The confession killer - this was super interesting! "Serial killer" from the 70s/80s that basically confessed to every crime they put in front of him. Lots of dirty cops (allegedly) and twists.

-Don't F*** with cats: hunting an internet killer - this was a hard watch. While they don't actually show anything, its described and the first episode was VERY difficult as an animal lover. The other two weren't as bad, and focused more on the "hunting" of this guy. (as background, he posted videos on the internet of him killing kittens in various ways, then a person. So the show doesn't *show* the killing, but its very graphically described.)

-The witcher - my husband is a huge fan. We both loved this. Cant wait for the next seasons.

-You s2: watching right now. I really like it!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone in my life recommended Don't * with Cats to me as a must watch. I could NOT watch it at all without serious bad feelings all around, and I secretly judge that person because I know them. :???:

I've been reading instead of doing Netflix, but I'm enjoying Witcher and You S2 as well. I didn't enjoy Marriage Story at all, although I did fall asleep watching it, so maybe I missed the good part. Otherwise, I was left disliking both parties, idk if it's just me.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra to be fair, its actually VERY interesting. These internet people saw the cat video and basically made it their lifes work to find who it was and get him arrested, and they go through HOW they did that. I also found it interesting because I remembered the murder, and maybe it felt more personal because he was/is Canadian.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grace and Frankie

Netflix blurb:
For as long as they can recall, Grace and Frankie have been rivals. Their one-upmanship comes crashing to a halt, however, when they learn that their husbands have fallen in love with each other and want to get married. As everything around the ladies is coming apart, the only thing they can really rely on is each other. This Netflix original re-teams Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin ("9 to 5") as Grace and Frankie, respectively, bringing their chemistry to the small screen. It's a casting reunion on a grand scale, as Tomlin is reunited with her co-star from "The West Wing," Martin Sheen, who plays Grace's husband, Robert. And Fonda is back with Sam Waterston, her co-star from "The Newsroom," who plays Frankie's husband, Sol.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@telephone89 I think the reason I couldn't watch it was exactly because I knew it was true. I wanted to get past the icky parts, but I couldn't bear thinking about it all. I tend to dwell on things that I know actually happened.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are watching Sinner season 2. We watched Season 1 about a year ago and it was good and so far Season 2 seems just as good.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I really enjoyed S2!
I started watching Sabrina S3 but I'm not suuuper loving it yet.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I really enjoyed S2!
I started watching Sabrina S3 but I'm not suuuper loving it yet.

I plan on watching Sabrina S3 too. We watched the first two seasons. LMK if it’s worth it after you finish watching it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching "Pandemic" on Netflix. Watched 2 episodes last night and will continue this evening. Sobering topic. And real life scary but in the good to know category.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched the first two episodes of The Pharmacist on Netflix tonight, it moves a bit slow at points but it's very good. I would keep watching if it wasn't so late already.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished Sabrina S3, and have to say I really enjoyed it. At first, it was hard to follow because there were so many story lines, but they did connect and I liked it.

Also enjoying The Stranger. I'm on the last episode and its been really good! Dark and twisty.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finished Sabrina S3, and have to say I really enjoyed it. At first, it was hard to follow because there were so many story lines, but they did connect and I liked it.

Also enjoying The Stranger. I'm on the last episode and its been really good! Dark and twisty.

Loved The Stranger.
Haven't gotten to watch Sabrina yet (but will based on your rec thanks @telephone89)
because right now we are watching Locke and Key and loving it so far.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I really enjoyed The Spy, based on the life of Mossad spy Eli Cohen who went undercover in Syria in the 60's.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished the series, Bonfire Of Destiny. Very good!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results