shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra I started tidelands and thought it was ok, and started & finished hill house and it was awesome! Though I was bawling my eyes out at the end lol. Definitely scary, but soo good.

Also finished: Paddington (ehh so-so), birdbox (ok)
Started: Ozark S1 (its ok so far, reminds me of breaking bad)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone started watching Tidying up with Marie Kondo? I love her approach and attempt to follow it as much as possible with young kids and collector if a hubby.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is anyone watching Fargo? We just started season 2 and we’re hooked so far.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread from oblivion lol. I've watched a few shows that I want to recommend!

-Abducted in plain sight
-Ted Bundy Tapes
-Dirty John
-You
-The patriot act (if you like the daily show & similar, this is really good)
-Russian doll
-Ozark
-Breaker uppers - light hearted comedy

The first few have a theme lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved Ozark and Russian Doll and You. Enjoyed Dirty John. Hard to believe it was based on a true story.
Will check out the others you have recommended @telephone89 thanks.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Winter has been horrible, so I've been doing more netflix binging...
-After life: Ricky gervais drama-dy. Binged in one night, somber premise but I enjoyed the wit and it was surprisingly funny.
-Dog Days: doggy related rom com. Not great, but entertaining.
-Always a witch / Siempre Bruja: I enjoyed it, but it got some controversial reviews.
-My big fat greek wedding 2: Pretty awful tbh lol. But if you liked the first one its a good recycle.
-Age of adeline: Ok I super enjoyed this one. Kind of like what happens after tuck everlasting.
-Losers: It's ok. If youre bored why not.
-Broadchurch s3: Finally finished this. Didn't like S3 as much but I really appreciated the topics it brought up related to consent, etc.

I also saw Girl on a Train and Winters Bone were available, so I'll probably watch those (again) this week.

As a side note, The 100 comes back May 1 (in canada), so I'm pretty excited for that. The OA s2 comes back next week, and Santa Clarita diet at the end of the month.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@telephone89 do you get HBO? Loved Barry and season 2 is available March 31st. The Night Of also enjoyable. And Game of Thrones will be returning soon too.

Sorry winter has been tough. I too am looking forward to nicer weather and can't wait to be able to resume cycling and other outdoor adventures.:appl:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I used to have my father in laws HBOGo account but I don't think we have it any more unfortunately lol. I'll see if we still have it, and if so check those out! I will definitely be watching GOT, but usually download each episode after they come out.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved Umbrella Academy. I hope it has more seasons.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved Umbrella Academy. I hope it has more seasons.

Great, thanks for this rec. I was wondering about it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I used to have my father in laws HBOGo account but I don't think we have it any more unfortunately lol. I'll see if we still have it, and if so check those out! I will definitely be watching GOT, but usually download each episode after they come out.

I have to rewatch all of GOT because I don't think I remember enough details to start the new season till I do.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone watch Schitts Creek. Hilarious.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are watching "The Immigrant" on Netflix. It's very good.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Loved After Life beyond all reason. Could be my strange sense of humour, but it had a vulnerability that really worked.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved After Life beyond all reason. Could be my strange sense of humour, but it had a vulnerability that really worked.
I really liked it too! When I was explaining the concept to my husband after watching the trailer he was so not into it, but we binged it in like one or two nights and he also really enjoyed it.

I started watching Nashville, because I like to binge longer series lol. It's surprisingly good, and I don't even like country music. I think I'm on S4 now.

Watched OAs2 and really liked it. Way better than the first season IMO.
Watched "black summer" which is filmed in Alberta and was pretty cool. Like an indie walking dead. It's apparently a prequel to another show (z nation) which I have not seen.
Watched Sabrina s2 and loved it.
Watched Santa Clarita s3 and it was ok. Still just as gory.
Started you vs wild with bear grills. This is kind of a stupid show slash video game lol. He goes into the "wild" and will give you 2 choices for survival (ie swing across the ravine a la tarzan on a vine, or walk across the rickety log bridge). It's sorta interesting I guess. But not overly so.

Started "if I hadn't met you" but it's really slow to start. I'll probably try to watch more because I like the idea (time travel/butterfly effect).

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I really liked that too!

It actually made me a little teary eyed as well.

I watch weird stuff on there at times. I liked the Order and I also liked Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw this a year ago and just watched it again. Queen of the Desert. So good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just finished watching The Umbrella Academy. It was entertaining and fun.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disclaimer: very inappropriate and lots of profanity

Ali Wong Baby Cobra
Ali Wong Hard Knock wife

She a comedienne and that I appreciate her act, and agree with a lot of the things she has said about pregnancy and giving birth tells you a lot about me.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this!!

It's been a while since I've posted, so there are probably a bunch of shows I'm forgetting.

-Black spot: french (dubbed english) murder/cop show with some mysterious celtic connections. 2 seasons, both are a bit different from each other, but I loved it.
-Stranger things newest season (3? 4?): It started slow IMO, but I enjoyed it. In the very last scene make sure you watch through the credits.
-OITNB s 7 & 8: I stopped watching after s6, but wanted to watch the newest season, so went through s7. It's ok. I'm enjoying s8 though. Much more interesting now that some folk are out.
-Mad men: late on this one. Watched the entire series lol. Starts out very slow, but I was pretty into it by the second season. I miss when shows had 20+ episodes a season!

Upcoming:
Mindhunter s2!!! I'm so excited for this one. It's about the first people who start profilng serial killers in the FBI.

I need some new rec's people! Share what you've been watching!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm obsessed with David from Schitt's Creek.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second Russian Doll, also Travelers.
I enjoyed the Ali Wong movie Always be my baby (loved the Keanu scenes!).
With my kids we watch the Flash, and then got into Legends of Tomorrow which first I though was throwaway, but as time gone on become a real fan (it doesn't take itself too seriously, which appears to be the key difference between DC tv shows and Marvel Movies, and crappy DC movies).

If you like food documentaries Ugly Delicious by David Chang, Street Food, and the latest Chef's Table (which seems somehow more political than other seasons, can't get away from politics).
I also really enjoyed "behind the curve" which is a documentary about flat earthers. It does go into the psychology of how can someone believe conspiracies, or have firmly held beliefs that go against what seems to be common sense.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also really enjoyed "behind the curve" which is a documentary about flat earthers. It does go into the psychology of how can someone believe conspiracies, or have firmly held beliefs that go against what seems to be common sense.
Oooh that sounds good! I'm going to check it out

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We binge watch a show at a time this is the list so far:

Cheers
Frazier
The Office

Now we are into How to Get Away With Murder which is really good IMO. Thinking about starting The West Wing when we are done.

DH watches a lot more his current fave is Stranger Things.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool thread
thanks to everyone who posted suggestions
i plan to study it because you'r right
navigating netflex is really hard
i seem to be caught in a loop of college and romantic comedies because i watched a couple of movies with Jennifer Aniston when i couldn't sleep and its driving me crazy

i got netflex to watch Springsteen on Broadway which of course is beyound excellent

i really enjoyed grace and frankie

and then the one with Sam Elliot - the ranch
i loved that - a modern American comedy i can actually relate to plus we love Sam Elliot

then the British Derry girls is awsome - season 2 just came out - if you'r Cathloic or old enough to remember the troubles in Northern island or you remember popular music from the early 1990s i thougherly recomend it, its very well written and i actually laughed out loud which is very unusual for me

if you havn't seen it on pbc call the midewife i think is available on US netflex is another excellent British drama - it tackles the problems facing a poor neighbourhod durring the 50s and 60s including relevant social issues with much kindness- also it is written with strong female characters of all ages which makes it just so enjoyable and a joy to watch even if i cry every episode
Doc Martin is also good as i missed most of this when it screened on tv here

a movie i would recomend is The Pad man
its a true story about an Indian husband who is appalled about the arrangements his new wife has to go through at that time of the month and he sets out with zero supoort and much disapproval to make femine hygene products accessable to poor communities
its really funny but also eye opening and sad
(there is also a doco about the real man on netflex)
its Indian so there is a tiny bit of singing and dancing and it might be subtitled but its a really good watch
of course once you watch one Indian film you get a lot of suggestions popping up but alot of them are great and thats what i like about netflex
the non English speaking world is full of talent we just have to find it

the Spanish high seas is also great
ive read complaints about the English dubbing but i watched it in Spanish and read the subtitles
ive always loved foreign films so reading subtitles isnt a problem for me

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found Derry Girls hilarious! Watched the second season in one day.:P2

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a "hidden gem," but we're watching "The Family" tonight. Thought-provoking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results