shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember Fame? Before I was born, I'd watch it religiously. I liked Leroy and Nia Peeples was the prettiest girl I had ever seen.

Since Fame, I've had an affinity for shows where kids are in schools for the arts. I am loving me some Backstage! I love watching the kids perform and I love how whole some they are. It's a nice escape from reality.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really enjoying Mr. Robot on Prime right now. It's completely different from what I thought it was about. I'm just on season 1.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. Season 3 of Mr. Robot shows up on my Prime, but says it's not available to my area. Oh the humanity!!!:cry2:

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Really got into Misaeng ("Incomplete Life"). Only 20 (1 hour-ish) episodes - Korean with subtitles.
It really spoke to me - but one of my early jobs was in a very corporate work environment where people weren't treated well, esp women.
I'm not normally big on Drama (it's got some laughs too) but this one gave me all the feels... I really cared for/about the characters. You know it's the case when you "miss" them when the show ends.
I definitely found it worth watching. :kiss2:

One bit of advice I wish I had been given - skip the first 6(-ish) minutes (they show part of the end first). It's confusing & I don't understand why they chose to do it that way - it detracts from the vibe and where your head should be... I feel like the producers were told to add more action and a foreign location to jazz it up so they bookended the real story with something that doesn't really belong - it doesn't have the same feel as the rest. :confused:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ozark season 2 has arrived. Enjoying it so far.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halfway thought season two of Ozark! SO good!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halfway thought season two of Ozark! SO good!

Yes LOVE this show. Finished season two too quickly. Hoping for season 3!

Watching Atypical Season 2 now...very enjoyable.

Also watching Maniac. Excellent too so far.

And lastly watching a very good series Orphan Black.

Three good (so far) series!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't updated in a while, here are a few that we liked.
-Disenchanted - this is my husbands show, I didn't love it. Made by the same people as simpsons and futurama.
-Final Space - also a cartoon, but I liked this one.
-Maniac - Netflix original. Remember how f*cked up the OA was? This is similar, in that its very very weird. But good. Binged in one day :shifty:
-Luke Cage s2 - Took a little while to get into the episode. Once they developed the villian it was pretty interesting.
-Iron Fist s2 - Better than the first season. Enjoyable.

Also watching Anthony Bordain (whichever show is on there). I'll have to check my recently watched and get back here lol.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I loved Maniac. I don't know anybody else who I could recommend it to though. I just thought Jonah Hill did a great job of his part.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Kominsky Method. Wonderful. Has probably already been mentioned.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh I just started it and I’m loving it! It reminds me of Grace and Frankie.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I just started it and I’m loving it! It reminds me of Grace and Frankie.
Yes! There is something so brillliant about it.
Another captivating “gem”, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Dark, but excellent.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House of Cards Season 6. Just started watching it.
Good riddance to Kevin Spacey and so far so good.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOC is my next binge show!

Let’s see..

Salt fat acid heat – it’s a cooking show, but not really a traditional one. The host is super loveable, and she travels to different countries to investigate these 4 basics of cooking and how they affect every dish.

Insatiable – Where to start. This starts out as a former fat girl losing 70 lbs and wanting revenge on all the people that were mean to her when she was fat. It ends… much much differently. It’s pretty dark, a bit funny.

Making a murder pt 2 – Love this docu. Just a continuation of the first one.

I’m keeping up with Riverdale and Dynasty. Riverdale is darker, dynasty is more rich people trash lol.

Started The chilling adventures of Sabrina. Its pretty dark and spooky! Definitely not like the original. I really like the main actress, she is great. Some of the others, ehh.

Upcoming: broadchurch s3, HOC s6, maybe get back into supernatural. I don’t even know if I finished the first season yet lol. Still a ton more to go.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved Insatiable. I didn't know what to expect and then the ending it finally made sense! I also loved Sabrina. The sweaters, the coat the clothes! It was such a quick binge. I tried to drag it out but I enjoyed the story. Kiernan Shipka (Sabrina, Mad Men) is a great actress. In real life she's big into fashion, so everything looked stunning on her.

I also loved Haunting of Hill House. It's based off of one of my favourite books, and I liked the present day setting of the story.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched the whole thing Sunday night--I really dislike Michael Douglas and found his inability to speak clearly rather disconcerting and distracting, but overall it's a great series!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched the whole thing Sunday night--I really dislike Michael Douglas and found his inability to speak clearly rather disconcerting and distracting, but overall it's a great series!

Yes, he had mouth cancer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the rec @Jimmianne...we just started watching it last night and are enjoying it very much. Perhaps we shouldn't as it is too close to home with how challenging aging often is hahaha but it is funny and true.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra Was the haunting at hill house scary? Or more spooky like Sabrina? I watched the preview and it looks too scary for me to watch haha.
Started watching "The innocent man" last night. Already hooked. eta - also watched the Sabrina holiday special which was good!

I've also started to watch all the atrocious christmas movies netflix has. And really, they are pretty atrocious.
A christmas prince
A christmas prince 2: the royal wedding
A christmas inheritance
A christmas wedding planner
The princess switch

I think that's all I've gotten through so far. If youre interested, the christmas prince ones are the WORST. The other 3 were just bad lol.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally binge watched all four seasons of Schitt’s Creek, so fun! :appl:
Ozark
Stranger Things
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
The Kominsky Method
The Crown

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Everything from Derren Brown.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching "Wanted" on Netflix. Entertaining. About 2 women who were in the wrong place at the wrong time and are in a heap of trouble. 3 seasons. Just finished the first season.

Also enjoyed "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" very much. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this series.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@telephone89 I think The Haunting of Hill House is more graphic and scary than Sabrina. It is a new and unique perspective on the book, which is one of my favourites. I've watched every iteration of movie based on the book.

@missy I have watched Wanted and although I enjoyed it, I found so many scenes to be such a stretch. There is a third season up and I will probably watch it anyway.

I really enjoyed the Australian Netflix series Tidelands. It wouldn't appeal to everyone, but the subject matter is something I'm always drawn to and it was a good binge for me.

P

PierreBear

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but Blue Planet has been fun to watch. Beautiful filming and fun to learn about oceans and wild life!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched Bird Box. A dark film but we liked it. I love Sandra Bullock.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Bird Box book was SO much better, but it was fun to see the movie. Bullock's character in the book starts out as college age, so I don't know if she was the best choice. So much good material was left out too.

I binge watched "You" and loved it. I know it was on regular tv, but I rarely catch shows that way. There will be a second season. I thought Penn Badgely did an amazing job. The material was OTT, but he was subtle about it. Creepy.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been watching eureka on Amazon prime. We love Eureka! Missed it when it was initially aired. Was able to watch it with my kids too. It used to be hard to binge it as Netflix would not have the first couple of seasons. Gotta catch it from the first show forward to get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results