shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just started watching My Next Guest, David Letterman’s new series of interviews. Cool. First guest was Obama’s and I’m watching George Clooney.

Both easy on the eyes! I must tune in.....:tongue:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you still say it's worth watching (not sure if you were one of the people who recommended it)
I watched it because it was highly recommended here. I think it's superbly done.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hated Okja. Hated it. I was stressed out the whole time and it was such a depressing movie even though technically there are some happy moments. Hated it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoyed The Young Victoria - the costumes/attire of the times was worth it alone but I found her strength of character to really make the movie.

Saw Retribution - could take it or leave it.

Loved The Five - highly recommend it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hated Gerald’s Game.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw the first episode of Imposters today and I thought it was really good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good - its nice to hear about ones we should avoid as well.

Thanks minous. There is more dreck on Netflix than quality shows (IMO) and I normally don't bother sharing the bad shows and usually we don't watch them till the end so I hesitate to share if we haven't watched it through. But you're right. It's good to know which ones really suck. Though taste varies so I am sure there will be people who enjoy that movie. My dh and I did not.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy what didn't you like about Gerald's Game because I think that's helpful to know.

And hi :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy what didn't you like about Gerald's Game because I think that's helpful to know.

And hi :wavey:

Hi CJ! Yes you are right of course. I should have thought to add why I didn't like this movie.
It was violent and way too gory for me. It was uncomfortable to watch. It's based on a Stephen King novel. I wanted to watch it because it deals with some very challenging themes of sexual abuse and the silencing of women. I had high hopes for this one as it got positive reviews.

The movie just felt too long. They could have made it 30 minutes shorter easy and it would have been better. There was so much going on that just confused things and felt not only unnecessary but taking away from what was important.

But ultimately it was (for me) just too gory. I don't know why gore is so acceptable (in movies/video games) etc but sex is taboo. It should be the other way around. Anyway HTH you in making the decision whether or not to watch the movie. It got decent ratings which was why I had higher expectations for it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I read that a lot of people were very disappointed with the ending.

And I'm with you that a lot of stuff on Netflix isn't worth the time. Same with Prime though from what I can tell.

I think the ratings on Netflix have definitely been affected by whatever change they made. I feel like I used to be able to rely on them more. I usually look things up on IMDB - I find those ratings pretty accurate a lot of the time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I read that a lot of people were very disappointed with the ending.

And I'm with you that a lot of stuff on Netflix isn't worth the time. Same with Prime though from what I can tell.

I think the ratings on Netflix have definitely been affected by whatever change they made. I feel like I used to be able to rely on them more. I usually look things up on IMDB - I find those ratings pretty accurate a lot of the time.

OMG yes. The rating system sucks and we cannot tell what is good or not from the "new" system. I go to reviews online and to specifically what is good to watch on Netflix. However I often don't agree with the reviewers.

The ending was the same as the original Stephen King ending in the book I believe. Stephen King endings aren't as good as his beginnings IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoying “Rectify”.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg altered carbon... Joel Kinnaman :lickout:. I've never growled at a TV before... :love:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The book sucked. sucked. so I didn't want to watch the movie. King GREAT or bad :)

Thanks minous. There is more dreck on Netflix than quality shows (IMO) and I normally don't bother sharing the bad shows and usually we don't watch them till the end so I hesitate to share if we haven't watched it through. But you're right. It's good to know which ones really suck. Though taste varies so I am sure there will be people who enjoy that movie. My dh and I did not.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seven seconds... heavy. A cop kills a boy in a car accident and the aftermath with its twists and turns.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alias Grace. Only 6 episodes i think. Very intriguing to me. Kind of a psychological thiller...but not really.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ZestfullyBling we loved Alias Grace and hope another season is in the works.

Watching 7 seconds and so far we are enjoying it. On episode 3. It's a little slow moving at first but starting to pick up.
Thanks for the rec @PintoBean.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi CJ! Yes you are right of course. I should have thought to add why I didn't like this movie.
It was violent and way too gory for me. It was uncomfortable to watch. It's based on a Stephen King novel. I wanted to watch it because it deals with some very challenging themes of sexual abuse and the silencing of women. I had high hopes for this one as it got positive reviews.

The movie just felt too long. They could have made it 30 minutes shorter easy and it would have been better. There was so much going on that just confused things and felt not only unnecessary but taking away from what was important.

But ultimately it was (for me) just too gory. I don't know why gore is so acceptable (in movies/video games) etc but sex is taboo. It should be the other way around. Anyway HTH you in making the decision whether or not to watch the movie. It got decent ratings which was why I had higher expectations for it.

Been meaning to tell you I looked up Gerald's Game and when I found it I realized DH and I had seen it. Hated it. Didn't find it too gory for me. I just hated all the flashbacks and all the stuff they did with it. And I didn't love the acting either. I thought it started out interesting but the second the actors started having flashbacks/talking to themselves (I forget what it was) I hated it from that point on.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We (well, DH more than me, since I fell asleep for a little bit of it) enjoyed "A Perfect Day"

DH is enjoying "Turn - Washington Spies" - he keeps telling me I would like it so I might give it a shot.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
We (well, DH more than me, since I fell asleep for a little bit of it) enjoyed "A Perfect Day"

DH is enjoying "Turn - Washington Spies" - he keeps telling me I would like it so I might give it a shot.
We are on the third season of Love. It's very different. We seem to like it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are on the third season of Love. It's very different. We seem to like it.

I like “Love” too. My dh finds the male character lead annoying. Haha I find the female lead character annoying. :lol: She’s tends to be quite irresponsible and doesn’t take responsibility for so much. But just finished season 2 and looking forward to season 3. Though I might have to watch without dh. We will see. He says the male character is too beta male for him. :lol:

Just watched Collateral last week. It’s a limited series Netflix original. Very enjoyable. And had a satisfying ending which I always appreciate. 4 episodes so that’s a plus too.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Started Jessica Jones s2, enjoying it so far.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Started Jessica Jones s2, enjoying it so far.
Omg I'm in love with her!!!!

For shits and giggles watch the bitch in apartment ... with Kristen Ritter (can't remember full name)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For shits and giggles watch the bitch in apartment ... with Kristen Ritter (can't remember full name)
I have! I loved that show, too bad it was cancelled so early on :(

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked the Scandinavian cop show Borderliner. Just finished. I loved the lead character. I wish it had/will have a second season, but my understanding is that it is so far just a one series show.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked the Scandinavian cop show Borderliner. Just finished. I loved the lead character. I wish it had/will have a second season, but my understanding is that it is so far just a one series show.

Oh that is disappointing. We are enjoying Borderliner very much too though we are not finished watching it. I hope the ending is satisfying if there isn't another season...

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fred Armisen's "Standup for Drummers."

You need not be an ahem "drummer" (insulting term in the musical world) or any kind of musician to watch/enjoy this.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 :lol::lol-2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was a binging week.:roll2: I felt lukewarm about Collateral. I liked a lot about the storylines, but felt that Carey Mulligan's acting was a bit stuffy and flat. Overall good story though.

Loved Tabula Rasa! No spoilers, but I feel like I missed something at the end if anyone else watches it. Loved the suspense, did guess a few things right, but overall really enjoyed it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results