shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CJ2008, hi, quick threadjack if you don't mind...we just bought a Fire Stick yesterday because our Roku is glitchy with our modem and so just going to see which we prefer. Have you tried the Firestick yet? If not what do you use to get into Netflix? We have an older TV so cannot directly access Netflix/HBO Go etc through the TV. Thanks.

Yes, I actually installed it yesterday! I saw that I could get into Netflix through it. But usually we go through our Oppo Player. DH is really into TV/receiver/etc. equipment* so if you have any questions let me know.

*although we never update as often as he'd like, so it's not like we always have the latest.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I actually installed it yesterday! I saw that I could get into Netflix through it. But usually we go through our Oppo Player. DH is really into TV/receiver/etc. equipment* so if you have any questions let me know.

*although we never update as often as he'd like, so it's not like we always have the latest.

Thanks very much! Haven't installed it yet but will reach out when we do if we have any problems. Happy Netflixing.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished watching Colony. It was so good! Can't wait for Season 3. I don't know why I hadn't watched it before. I didn't realize it was sci-fi, which is my favourite genre. Now I need another fix, lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching a series called "Retribution". 2 episodes in and so far we are enjoying it.

I realize we hop around a lot and only binge watch series that are amazing. There are a number of Netflix shows we started and haven't gotten back to yet but I am sure we will. I watch Netflix like I read books. More than one show/book at a time.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching a series called "Retribution". 2 episodes in and so far we are enjoying it.

I realize we hop around a lot and only binge watch series that are amazing. There are a number of Netflix shows we started and haven't gotten back to yet but I am sure we will. I watch Netflix like I read books. More than one show/book at a time.

Haha, love this. If I did that, I'd have one giant confused show in my head made up of all the characters and all the plots mixed together!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved the first few seasons of Parks and Recreation, finding it laugh out loud funny. But have kinda lost interest in later seasons.

I absolutely adored the standup routine/story of his life told by Hasan Minhaj in Homecoming King. Made me laugh, and cry and just marvel. Its an hour well worth watching.

Currently watching How to Get Away with Murder, and feel like I'm watching a slow moving train wreck that I cannot look away from! Its riveting despite the fact that I have yet to find a character I really like (okay, maybe one or two). It has great eye candy too.

I love this thread and have taken many of the recommendations offered here. Thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, love this. If I did that, I'd have one giant confused show in my head made up of all the characters and all the plots mixed together!

Haha yes sometimes I do.:lol: I think I have become ADD from all the technology and the need for constant gratification. However as I understand it realizing I have a problem is the first step to getting better. Help. :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just watched Snowden. I have been avoiding it because I have mixed feelings about the whole situation. There have been spirited discussions in my house about what/how much regular folk should know. I think I have to read the book because I have issues with how Hollywood often takes liberties with truth or embellishes for pizzazz.

I also saw The Hostiles in the theater. Wow.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Young Victoria with Emily Blunt. Really enjoyed it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Young Victoria with Emily Blunt. Really enjoyed it.

Oh good! I adore Emily Blunt but heard the movie wasn't one of her best but with your recommendation, I will look forward to it.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Best thing I've watched on Netflix in the past year or so: STRANGER.

Only recommended if you don't mind subtitles, as it's South Korean.
I love learning about different cultures so I watch a lot of foreign things.
Really well done/well written and it gets better as the series goes on (it's 16 episodes & I'm really hoping they put out a season 2).

Here's the synopsis: A prosecutor who lost the ability to feel empathy as a child joins a police lieutenant to uncover a serial killer's true identity while fighting the rampant corruption within his department that continuously undermines his investigation.

I can't get my husband to watch it with me, as he doesn't do subtitles, but I plan on re-watching it within the next few months, just to enjoy it, appreciate the writing and not wonder who to trust/whodunit!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good! I adore Emily Blunt but heard the movie wasn't one of her best but with your recommendation, I will look forward to it.
It’s a British period piece so not very exciting, ya know? But I like those kinds of movies. And it’s nice to see a monarch actually love the person to whom they are married. I also like the series The Crown so if you think that is boring you will probably think this is boring too.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a British period piece so not very exciting, ya know? But I like those kinds of movies. And it’s nice to see a monarch actually love the person to whom they are married. I also like the series The Crown so if you think that is boring you will probably think this is boring too.

No! I'm in my British period and adore The Crown, among others, so I'm sure I'll love it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw The Inside Man. Denzel, Jodie foster. Christopher Plummer Clive Owen. Cool movie and I just love Denzel so I’m down for anything he is in. Can’t believe I missed this from 2006, I think.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw The Inside Man. Denzel, Jodie foster. Christopher Plummer Clive Owen. Cool movie and I just love Denzel so I’m down for anything he is in. Can’t believe I missed this from 2006, I think.

I really enjoyed that movie as well - especially the, umm, "tip" Denzel's character gets at the end! :mrgreen2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really enjoyed that movie as well - especially the, umm, "tip" Denzel's character gets at the end! :mrgreen2:
Seriously I thought he was going to propose to his girlfriend with that 30 carat asscher!!!! And she would have thrown that thing back in his face saying it was fake!! I would have DIED. CARTIER!!!!!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously I thought he was going to propose to his girlfriend with that 30 carat asscher!!!! And she would have thrown that thing back in his face saying it was fake!! I would have DIED. CARTIER!!!!!!
A 30ct asscher?! Now I have to see this movie. :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving “The Five”. A complex murder mystery. Riveting.

And finished “Retribution”. And enjoyed it. Short miniseries.

Ummm ok this is NEXT on the list if it’s on Netflix. YES to 30 carat asscher. The perfect size. For a round of course it might be too large but well, for an asscher...It’s perfect. :love: :lol: 8-)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving “The Five”. A complex murder mystery. Riveting.

And finished “Retribution”. And enjoyed it. Short miniseries.
DOnt want you all to be disappointed. It doesn’t come unt L the end. The first 2 hours is worth it though.

Ok will check out retribution and the five.

Ummm ok this is NEXT on the list if it’s on Netflix. YES to 30 carat asscher. The perfect size. For a round of course it might be too large but well, for an asscher...It’s perfect. :love: :lol: 8-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved the 2016 movie Tallulah! We saw this a while ago but I just realized it is on Netflix. Check it out if you like quirky and entertaining and you like the actors Ellen Page and Allison Janney.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally watched Godless and it was good. If you like westerns you will like it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally watched Godless and it was good. If you like westerns you will like it.

Yes we LOVED it and I don't even like westerns so I would suggest even if you don't like westerns to give it a try. A wonderful movie IMO.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am binge watching "Find it, Fix it and Flogg it" a British program where two guys go into the English countryside and scout out shed, barn and estate finds and upcycle them. The banter/competition between the two is fun and beautiful scenery, local personalities and crafty rehab/upcycle work make it interesting. BTW is there a way to find a list of program genres on Netflix? It seems other than a title search (which does not do genres) I am only seeing what has popped up on the screen and Netflix's "Since you liked watching..(then you may like these programs) . One time I heard that there was a number system that represented genres but have not heard anything else. Other than a specific title search, does anyone know how to find programs that are not listed?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am binge watching "Find it, Fix it and Flogg it" a British program where two guys go into the English countryside and scout out shed, barn and estate finds and upcycle them. The banter/competition between the two is fun and beautiful scenery, local personalities and crafty rehab/upcycle work make it interesting. BTW is there a way to find a list of program genres on Netflix? It seems other than a title search (which does not do genres) I am only seeing what has popped up on the screen and Netflix's "Since you liked watching..(then you may like these programs) . One time I heard that there was a number system that represented genres but have not heard anything else. Other than a specific title search, does anyone know how to find programs that are not listed?
I saw this while scrolling through last night, and thought it was weird. I only know of "flogging" from like, bdsm stuff????

You should be able to do a genre search, either by scrolling down quite a ways, or sometimes I find the back button (like how you get to the search) will have it. I also found this which you might find helpful:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-deman...t-numbers-unlock-1000s-hidden-films-tv-shows/

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the genre #s. Flogg is a British term for sell. In fact, the hosts use a lot of local dialect that is charming and funny and may be going out of fashion. I also love "Brojects"-a Canadian program featuring two brothers who do crazy stuff to their parent's lake vacation house. "Reno my Reno" is also Canadian and fixes poor renovation jobs done by the owners-with the owners. Finally I like "Master Carvers" (also Canadian) wherein you see footage of beautiful million dollar custom log homes in which the owners commission carved pieces such as furniture or wildlife etc. to accent the home. It is amazing to watch chain saws make such beautiful art. I also like the Australian reality shows too.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just started watching My Next Guest, David Letterman’s new series of interviews. Cool. First guest was Obama’s and I’m watching George Clooney.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anybody watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee? I like it. Some are better than others, but overall I like the show. (Obama was great).

Also tried watching Queer Eye just to see what it was all about - but I saw one episode and hated it. The acting seemed very forced to me, like nobody was really being themselves. Tiring just to watch it.

We tried watching something on Prime - Man in the Castle or something like that - but DH couldn't stand the quality of the streaming (I notice those kinds of things too but in general I'll tolerate it - he won't.) Anybody else notice that the quality is poor, even though it says it's streaming in 1080p?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. Before I forget. What was that series on Prime that you guys were talking about here a while back. Something about women being opressed. I looked and searched and couldn't find it. I cannot remember the name.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!

And oh.

That's why I couldn't find it it was driving me crazy! :D

(thank you.)

Would you still say it's worth watching (not sure if you were one of the people who recommended it)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results