shape
carat
color
clarity

Here we go again, help with multicolor Tahitian strand

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you ask the vendor about any known treatments? You might want to just double check that there’s nothing they explicitly know about (of course treatments that the vendor isn’t aware of is always possible)

These drop shapes, they’re cheap. So that 6k price tag is coming from somewhere… The colour would be a reasonable explanation…

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Can you ask the vendor about any known treatments? You might want to just double check that there’s nothing they explicitly know about (of course treatments that the vendor isn’t aware of is always possible)

These drop shapes, they’re cheap. So that 6k price tag is coming from somewhere… The colour would be a reasonable explanation…

Sure @yssie just curious, what types of treatments are currently being done to Tahitians? Which lab would be able to check for that? Based on the colors (in the colors of some of the other strands she has on her Instagram page), do you see any potential red flags that they are processed in some ways?

I really love the colors, but definitely don’t want to sign up for potential headache in case these are not natural.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tahitians are typically not processed at all apart from being washed.
They are surely the least processed pearls.
WSS ---SSP generally-- from Australia are equally not processed. SSP from other areas that pass through Japan may be given maeshori treatment-- which technically is a pre-treatment, rather than a treatment.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically, nothing!! What @pearlsngems said is my understanding too. For me the cost is actually comforting - this shape is cheap, the pearls aren’t humungous, so _something_ is creating that pricetag! I fully expect the answer on treatment to be “nothing”, but it doesn’t hurt to have that in writing from the vendor. Just in case dye or radiation is identified in some of the pearls.

Again, I don’t think that’s the case! But having your vendor’s best knowledge in writing never hurts.

Personally I would send it straight to GIA. It’s unique enough to merit a report and that’ll be an authoritative assessment for treatments as well. PayPal allows 180 days to file I believe, plenty of time even if GIA is having a molasses month.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically, nothing!! What @pearlsngems said is my understanding too. For me the cost is actually comforting - this shape is cheap, the pearls aren’t humungous, so _something_ is creating that pricetag! I fully expect the answer on treatment to be “nothing”, but it doesn’t hurt to have that in writing from the vendor. Just in case dye or radiation is identified in some of the pearls.

Again, I don’t think that’s the case! But having your vendor’s best knowledge in writing never hurts.

Personally I would send it straight to GIA. It’s unique enough to merit a report and that’ll be an authoritative assessment for treatments as well. PayPal allows 180 days to file I believe, plenty of time even if GIA is having a molasses month.

Agreed, I'd send to GIA. These shapes are definitely on the cheap side, so the $$ is almost certainly color

ShinyPleeease

Rough_Rock
I’m so happy you got your direct sunlight video and the strand looks amazing! I’d ask about treatments just to confirm that the pearls are untreated, but I feel like you did your due diligence. I’d jump on that like immediately, but I can be pretty impulsive. I’m so excited for you!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Seller confirms no treatment of any kind.

Bought it!

Will report back when I get it!

1. Any tips re customs re items coming from China? It will be shipping via FedEx
2. Any tips on sending pearls to GIA? Would love it if someone can walk me through the process!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! I hope this is a fabulous and treasured end to your multicolour journey ::)

Honestly I think this strand looks really special, I hope it’s as lovely in-person as it looks in all those photos and videos :love:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seller confirms no treatment of any kind.

Bought it!

Will report back when I get it!

1. Any tips re customs re items coming from China? It will be shipping via FedEx
2. Any tips on sending pearls to GIA? Would love it if someone can walk me through the process!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@yssie thank you thank you! I’ll post as soon as I get them. I’ll be sure to include a bright direct sun photo (minus toilet!). Your amazing pearl collection with only the best definitely encouraged me to keep hunting for my holy grail!

@mellowyellowgirl thank you! I was just ogling your new emerald on another thread (I know very little about emeralds but love them also).

@pearlsngems could not have done this without you, you’ve held my hand every step of the way for the past 5+ years in my search for multicolors, there is NO way to truly thank you for your time and kindness with just words alone.

@Nancewbl thank you for stopping by!

@lovedogs I’ll send to GIA and report back! If this strand checks out in real life and by GIA, I’m sure PS will be happy to have a new reputable vendor to buy colorful Tahitians from.

@Daisys and Diamonds So glad you approve!

@CMN Thank you—seeing photos of your strand was really helpful, appreciate the time you took to take all those photos for me in different light conditions!

@Dreamer_D Vendor says the pearls should be drilled and strung by early next week, and then 4-5 days for FedEx, so I’m hoping maybe two weeks from now to get them, barring any crazy events at customs lol

@ShinyPleeease YOU helped me by mentioning this vendor in the first place, so thank you so much!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how exciting! I can't wait for you to get them. They look absolutely gorgeous so I'm crossing my fingers that that remains true when you get them. I've had a couple pieces from Annie Case come from China via Fedex and had no issues at all.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh for sure post toilet pictures--the story wouldn't be the same without them! Not something you see, here, ever! It made my day! :bigsmile::devil::sun::saint:

cheers--Sharon

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how exciting! I can't wait for you to get them. They look absolutely gorgeous so I'm crossing my fingers that that remains true when you get them. I've had a couple pieces from Annie Case come from China via Fedex and had no issues at all.

Thank you! Glad to hear FedEx went well for you—I’ve not bought overseas from China before, can you let me know a little more re the process?

1. do you need to give vendor any additional info (SSN, etc) other than address and phone number, and if so, how do you give that to them in an encrypted manner? This vendor did not ask for anything other than my phone number and home address.

2. Does fedex call you and ask you to pay customs fee before they will release the item to you? What is the ballpark customs fee if you don’t mind me asking (5–10% of total price?)

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My experience with international imports using FedEx: You do not need to give the vendor any information other than address, phone number, and email for importing! FedEx will handle bringing it through customs and will contact you to pay the fees.

The biggest thing is the seller must be honest about what is in the package and indicate the value correctly. Hopefully that goes OK.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Glad to hear FedEx went well for you—I’ve not bought overseas from China before, can you let me know a little more re the process?

1. do you need to give vendor any additional info (SSN, etc) other than address and phone number, and if so, how do you give that to them in an encrypted manner? This vendor did not ask for anything other than my phone number and home address.

2. Does fedex call you and ask you to pay customs fee before they will release the item to you? What is the ballpark customs fee if you don’t mind me asking (5–10% of total price?)

I have never given any extra information nor was I contacted to pay any custom fees. It was just like any purchase I have made in the states.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
My experience with international imports using FedEx: You do not need to give the vendor any information other than address, phone number, and email for importing! FedEx will handle bringing it through customs and will contact you to pay the fees.

The biggest thing is the seller must be honest about what is in the package and indicate the value correctly. Hopefully that goes OK.

Thank you! Oh boy, I hope the vendor lists the item truthfully and correctly. What happens if they don’t? Does customs boot the item back to vendor? Or does customs come after me in some way even though I’m not involved (I have no idea how the vendor will declare/insure the package—is this something I need to ask vendor about?)

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I have never given any extra information nor was I contacted to pay any custom fees. It was just like any purchase I have made in the states.

Thank you! I honestly would rather just pay more upfront to vendor to cover whatever hidden/custom costs come up than have to deal with the hassle myself.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No extra info to vendor. Just address and phone number. If customs charges you, it will usually come via a bill in the mail afterwards (that's what happened w my pearls from general pearl from Japan)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. The strand from general pearl was somewhere in the 4500-5000 range (I can't remember exactly) and I was charged ~$45 from customs. Maybe a bit more because I accidentally let it sit unpaid because I was planning my wedding and forgot about it. But it was a very small amount

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Ps. The strand from general pearl was somewhere in the 4500-5000 range (I can't remember exactly) and I was charged ~$45 from customs. Maybe a bit more because I accidentally let it sit unpaid because I was planning my wedding and forgot about it. But it was a very small amount

Thanks so much! Really helpful to know!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Oh boy, I hope the vendor lists the item truthfully and correctly. What happens if they don’t? Does customs boot the item back to vendor? Or does customs come after me in some way even though I’m not involved (I have no idea how the vendor will declare/insure the package—is this something I need to ask vendor about?)

No no there will be no catastrophic consequences! If they don't put enough information or are too vague, you will get a call and need to clarify what is in the package. If they mislabel it you could be charged duties for the wrong type of merchandise, but it sounds like those fees are very low and perhaps not a concern. If they put the wrong value you can be charged incorrect taxes. These types of issues can cause delays and extend shipping time. So its more an issue of creating more paperwork and hassle than anything else.

I usually give some guidance to a vendor about how to complete the paperwork but that's coming US/UK to Canada. From China, with a vendor who likely does international shipping a lot, I would probably just leave it up to them. Ask for tracking and signature required though.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One can only insure for the value stated, so there is a very good reason to ask the vendor to state the value correctly. Ask for it to be insured for the full value. You want to be able to get the full value back if it is lost.

Also, just saying: I would NOT give my SSN to a vendor for any reason. Nope!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results