shape
carat
color
clarity

Here we go again, help with multicolor Tahitian strand

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
It's never a convenient time to lose a job. But sometimes it's extra bad timing.

The first time my husband was laid off, it was 4 days before Christmas. We had to immediately suspend our our attempts to start a family and our search for a house. (I was 37 so I was anxious about the delay!) But it all worked out. Three months later he had a job; a month after that we had a signed contract on our house, and 2 years later to the day, our daughter was born. :)

The second time he was laid off, he was 61 and faced overt age discrimination when he went for interviews. Actual comments about his age. It took longer to get a new job that time, but he eventually did. So we decided we could now afford to replace my engagement ring (it had been his great aunt's ring; not my style at all, and needed extensive repairs). Two weeks later he was let go from the new job; the owner decided his skills were not what they needed. So I feel you when you say you feel guilty about spending $$$ at an inconvenient time! But what was done was done, and yes, he did get another job a month later. And I have my nice ruby ring. ;)2

Your husband will get a new job, and you will be glad you got your pearls!

Thank you for sharing your inspiring stories. I’m also an “older” mom and had our only daughter in my late 30s. I definitely identify with so much of what you shared—I’m so sorry for the stress you and your husband had to weather, but weather it you both did, and I’m so glad you made it all right!

And anyway, I keep telling myself all day today that $6k isn’t truly going to make or break this situation. What is done is done—So I might as well enjoy the pearls while taking a hiatus otherwise from purchases while hubby’s job hunting continues. For me in some ways it’s the thought and not the amount that counts: I would of course gladly give up (resell?) these pearls if it would make hubby feel better/more supported, but I suspect the stress and uncertainty of job hunting will just have to play itself out anyhow regardless of this ill timed jewelry purchase.

Btw would love to see your special ruby ring if you care to share!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your husband has a very important and necessary profession, I am optimistic he will find a new, and better!, job shortly!

And good news about the pearlsssssss

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! What a total rollercoaster!!

Totally agree that your husband's expertise is necessary and valuable - I can't imagine he'll be out of work for any length of time!

And the nice thing about this strand is that if in a few months you do feel that you'd be happier rehoming it - it will definitely sell. So you haven't closed any doors. But you get to enjoy your pearls right now no matter what you might decide later on!

So excited that it's shipped, can't wait to hear what you think of it!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I've been lurking along. I think the pearls are beautiful and excited you purchased them. Sorry to hear about your husband though. Hope he will have a new situation quickly.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I got the pearls and it is everything I hoped for. These are truly the most colorful Tahitians I’ve ever seen: the color play is truly incredible on every pearl: these have very strong overtone and body color and rings of colors, and the colors are pretty sticky. The luster is pretty good also and makes me feel like I’m looking at a string of shiny Christmas baubles.

Some mandatory eye candy:

The full on direct sunlight photo that I asked the vendor for, I am finally able to take today myself under the California sun:
IMG_1161.jpeg

An indoor photo with no special light whatsoever, just a causal snapshot on my coffee table:

IMG_1162.jpeg

Here comes the twist ending. As I mentioned above, my husband just lost his job this week. We live in a very high cost area. We may need to get a car in case our current commute plans change dramatically. Lots of uncertainty ahead.

So even though I really, really, REALLY love these, I love my husband/family more and want him to feel supported. Therefore, in good faith I’m going to make an attempt to sell this strand in its currently brand new condition in its lovely custom fitted box (hopefully they can stay in the PS family!) for exactly what I paid for them (since this is a nonreturnable oversea purchase). I’ll get to listing this soon on loupe troop. I’m tempted to wear them but I won’t even do that (b/c I’m afraid I won’t be able to resist keeping them if I did!).

I figured it’s a win-win situation for me no matter what. If no takers, then I get to keep the strand of my dreams without guilt. And if they do sell, I’ll feel like I made a small sacrifice with great love for my family.

Thank you to everyone here who has supported me on my Tahitian journey, which ends here.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand your desire to sell it, given all the circumstances.

But you might consider including in your Loupe Troop listing your own direct sunlight photos-- so your would-be buyer will be fully informed, just as you wished to be. Lovely as it is, the overtone colors are not the same in direct sunlight.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand your desire to sell it, given all the circumstances.

But you might consider including in your Loupe Troop listing your own direct sunlight photos-- so your would-be buyer will be fully informed, just as you wished to be. Lovely as it is, the overtone colors are not the same in direct sunlight.

Thanks as always @pearlsngems.

It’s a bittersweet end but I do feel like I’m doing the right thing. It certainly becomes harder to look for jobs as one gets older, and maybe harder to cope with uncertainty as well.

I’m truly hoping it stays in the PS family so I can ogle it from time to time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds Thank you—you are always a sweetheart.

i feel so sad
and i know it is harder to find a suitable job as we get older
so best wishes to hubbie finding something he will enjoy and thrive at

right now i am struggling with insurence and property taxes and i need a new washing machine and oven
i need a full time job and then we will be ok

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
i feel so sad
and i know it is harder to find a suitable job as we get older
so best wishes to hubbie finding something he will enjoy and thrive at

right now i am struggling with insurence and property taxes and i need a new washing machine and oven
i need a full time job and then we will be ok

Hugs to you too my friend, hang in there!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is one gorgeous strand of pearls!! I’m sorry you have angst keeping them amidst your DH’s unfortunate job sitch. What a total bummer!! I hope they either sell, or your dh finds a much better position quick enough that you can keep them!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pinkmartini87, I have a question (if you don't mind saying): Were you charged much for Customs? I'm just wondering because I have never yet been charged Customs for my (admittedly few) international purchases and never know what to say to people about what to expect.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems Sure! I didn’t get charged anything. FedEx came to my door and dropped it off (did not even get my signature!)

With that said, when I looked at the label it seems like the vendor insured it for only $600 not $6000 (I did tell her to fully insure ahead of time, but clearly that did not happen), so I don’t know if that would affect whether or not one has to pay customs?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Sold.

There were quite a few interested buyers, but I’d just also like to thank everyone else too who reached out to me privately using the LT contact just to offer me words of comfort.

This is not the ending I wanted, but it was the ending I needed—I feel very supported by all the friends I’ve made here over the years: thank you all for your love and friendship.

I’ll likely be taking a brief break from PS for a while to focus on matters at home (and also to not be tempted to purchase anything!). But hopefully I will be back soon from my ban island.

To all, be safe and well, and thank you and thank you and thank you again.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm truly saddened that you had to part with your strand. It was a beauty. I totally understand about how jewelry, while beautiful, can become tainted with bad memories of the times plus guilt over spending. When the time is right you will find another that makes your heart pitter patter and bring you joy. I hope that your hubby finds a new job quickly for everyone's peace of mind. I hope it went to a PSr?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm truly saddened that you had to part with your strand. It was a beauty. I totally understand about how jewelry, while beautiful, can become tainted with bad memories of the times plus guilt over spending. When the time is right you will find another that makes your heart pitter patter and bring you joy. I hope that your hubby finds a new job quickly for everyone's peace of mind. I hope it went to a PSr?
So true.

Hugs to you @Pinkmartini87 . I know you all will land on your feet.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sold.

There were quite a few interested buyers, but I’d just also like to thank everyone else too who reached out to me privately using the LT contact just to offer me words of comfort.

This is not the ending I wanted, but it was the ending I needed—I feel very supported by all the friends I’ve made here over the years: thank you all for your love and friendship.

I’ll likely be taking a brief break from PS for a while to focus on matters at home (and also to not be tempted to purchase anything!). But hopefully I will be back soon from my ban island.

To all, be safe and well, and thank you and thank you and thank you again.

well one door closes and another opens dont they say
dont be away too long as we will miss you
I am presently absolutly stoney broke but i still get a lot of pleasure seeing what others are buying and wearing,
1710556185167.jpeg
my turn will come again as will yours and also your husbands
take care of each other, you will be ok
best wishes Nicky

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results