shape
carat
color
clarity

Here we go again, help with multicolor Tahitian strand

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Can I just send a big thank you to all you ladies here for making this process so much fun??????

Even more than pearls, the camaraderie here is simply unbeatable, the knowledge addictive, and everything about being part of the PS family makes me so, so happy.

Thank you each and every one of you for looking out for me and for each other!

I hope to be one day knowledgeable enough that I can begin to repay my dues by commenting wisely on your own threads in return!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I’d prob ask to switch the order of the two pearls circled below just because the pink pearl is a lot bigger than the pearl currently in the center:

6F85ADC3-2DE6-4029-A03E-69C4F4848A5F.jpeg

Not sure if anyone has any thoughts about any other rearranging? IMG_1082.jpeg

OMG that is sooooo lovely

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I just send a big thank you to all you ladies here for making this process so much fun??????

Even more than pearls, the camaraderie here is simply unbeatable, the knowledge addictive, and everything about being part of the PS family makes me so, so happy.

Thank you each and every one of you for looking out for me and for each other!

I hope to be one day knowledgeable enough that I can begin to repay my dues by commenting wisely on your own threads in return!

so is it done and dusted ? :kiss2:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Ok ladies, here’s the “sunny” video the vendor sent me (sunny in quotations bc to me this is not a direct sunlight video on a sunny day that we’ve waited for days to arrive).

I hate to be a pain but I’m going to ask her for a direct sun video (for the 20th time).

Full Disclosure: she has been nothing but courteous and timely. Except, I can’t seem to get a direct sunlight photo no matter how many times I ask…

I will also go ahead and reveal the vendor: 50shadesofpink on instagram, if folks want to take a look at her offerings in general on instagram and comment on how true to life you think her photos of Tahitians are.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, no. :roll: That is still an indirect light photo.
Either there is a language barrier ...
or they have not had a sunny day ...
or they just don't want to show you what they look like in direct sunlight.

Ask as much as it takes to get the photo you want.
Reword your request in case there is a language barrier. "Please go outside with the pearls, and stand facing the sun so there is full sun/ no shadow on them and take a photo".
Say you understand they will look different in the sun but you need to see for yourself or else you will not buy the pearls, since they are not returnable.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, not direct sunlight at all. Ask as many times as it takes for DIRECT sun. Outside, direct sunlight.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I will also go ahead and reveal the vendor: 50shadesofpink on instagram, if folks want to take a look at her offerings in general on instagram and comment on how true to life you think her photos of Tahitians are.

I tried to search that and I got taken to what looks like an influencer/model page

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to ask one more time but if she refuses ultimately to send a direct sunlight photo.

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a little saddened that this vendor simply won’t supply a direct sunlight photo when she has clearly taken time to supply oodles of videos in every other light condition. Maybe I’m being unreasonable or odd.

Don't try to blame yourself for their lack of effort. They're trying to decline your request for whatever reason. I think it's best to not try to talk yourself into a purchase and not to justify their behavior or rationalize it. The facts are that they won't take a direct sunlight picture - so if that's a purchase necessity then it sounds like you can't make the purchase

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a little saddened that this vendor simply won’t supply a direct sunlight photo when she has clearly taken time to supply oodles of videos in every other light condition. Maybe I’m being unreasonable or odd.

I just went on her IG and she has a million direct sunlight videos. I call BS that she "cant" take a direct sunlight video of this one. Pure nonsense

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs & @musicloveranthony thanks!

I am trying one more time:

IMG_1120.png

But hey, maybe she just doesn’t want to sell to me because I ask too many questions, in which case I’m sorry for that but I suppose she and I will agree to disagree and part ways. I’ve been very respectful in all my communications to her and all I want to be is an informed buyer for a transaction of $6000 USD with no returns for which I’m assuming all the risk.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This necklace of mine is also from Mangareva-- specifically from the Rikitea area of Mangareva. I posted the photos upthread. In direct sunlight most of the colors are muted.

It sounds like she really doesn't want you to see what direct sunlight will do to the overtone colors. That says it all.

Indirect indoor light:

baroque Rikitea necklace in diffuse indoor light PS.jpeg

Direct sunlight:

baroque Rikitea necklace in direct sunlight.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also-- light gray body color Tahitians tend to have brighter, flashier overtones than dark gray body color pearls do.
Likely they are mostly light gray in direct sunlight.

I think you have to assume this to be the case, since she will not send direct sunlight photos. If you are okay with that, buy them.
If not, then don't.

I just have to add: This may be as good as it gets for colorful Tahitians. Tahitian overtone colors show up in indirect light.
Most Tahitians are not colorful in direct sunlight.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More examples for you. Rikitea and Rarioa pearls from Mangareva in indirect light and direct sunlight.

Rikiteas indirect.jpg

Rikiteas Sunlight.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you are being unreasonable at all in requiring direct light photos! She is the one who is being unreasonable.

But I think you have not yet come to terms with the reality about Tahitian overtone colors. I know you want a strand that is colorful in all kinds of light, but since Tahitians don't behave that way, I think the only way to get a necklace like that is to get a strand with a combination of naturally colored FWP, GSS, WSS (or white FWP) and Tahitians.

And if the naturally colored FWP have overtones, those overtones will be muted in direct light.
And the Tahitian overtones will be muted also.
And some of the purple Edisons fade over time because they are dyed. (Not all are dyed; the dyed ones fade. But you may not know if they are dyed or not. The vendor may not know either.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
@Pinkmartini87 I am wearing my pearls today just for you and also with the least flattering colour top (ie dark versus a light or white) - is that crazy . Here is a photo of me in indoor office lighting. I will say that the pearls actually look about 30% more colourful in real life in the office then depicted in this photo The camera seems to give all of them a silver colouring when taken in this particular setting. Mine are from Mangareva/Rikitea. I will try and take some more throughout the day but unfortunately it is cloudy here today. IMG_1919.jpeg

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@musicloveranthony @lovedogs @CMN @pearlsngems @Catmom

Thank you guys all so much for the encouragement and helpful photos!

Maybe it’s a lost in translation issue but she wrote back to me and said “it is not possible due to weather” to my final request for a sunny photo. I told her I am willing to wait for a sunny day, but I get the impression she is done with me, and I’ll respect that. It really is too bad because I really think this IS the strand for me and I just want to make sure I still like the colors in sunlight even if they are less colorful, but with the vendor unwilling to send this final photo I think I’m going to have to pass on a non refundable overseas purchase.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd think she would be motivated enough, and want to sell it badly enough, to send you the direct sunlight photo, if it actually does look colorful in that light. She would have no reason to withhold a photo, as soon as the weather cooperates--- right?

So leave the ball in her court. Tell her that if she gets a sunny day, she should take the photo and send it to you.
And see what happens.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is very weird she won’t take a picture in sunlight. It’s hard for me to imagine this is the only such strand of pearls available, that you have to deal with a difficult vendor?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results