shape
carat
color
clarity

Here we go again, help with multicolor Tahitian strand

ShinyPleeease

Rough_Rock
I havent kept up with the updates this weekend but I think you are handling the interaction with the seller perfectly! Your responses are respectful but firm and clear. It’s a shame that the seller still hasn’t sent you pictures in direct sunlight but I’m hoping it’s just something lost in translation. I still think that this strand is closest to what you’ve been looking for - hopefully the vendor can gain your trust by sending you the pics you’ve been requesting! She has to understand that you are taking a huge risk with this purchase.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pearlsngems & @Dreamer_D @ShinyPleeease

Agreed. My heart says go for it but my gut instinct tells me to hold back. My level headed husband says if a vendor isn’t willing to fulfill a simple request (one photo in the sun is all I’m asking for), don’t fork over a nonrefundable $6k.

Her last response to me:

IMG_1126.png

Again, she has been prompt, courteous. But just won’t provide a sunny photo even as I’m offering to wait for a sunny day, although her location is Nan’an, China and per Google weather it is sunny all weekend this weekend. Perhaps she already has someone else willing to purchase…anyway, I think I’m going to pass.

I think I’m going to take an indefinite break from Tahitians. Like @pearlsngems astutely observed, if I’m truly looking for a strand that performs well in all light conditions, maybe Tahitians aren’t for me…

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you aren't offended @Pinkmartini87 but i tried to reach out to her and ask for the same thing (direct sunlight pic/video). I was told that the video she posted (which it looks like she sent you, screenshot below) was in sunlight (which obviously it isnt).
Screenshot_20240303_191816_Instagram.jpg

She also sent this pic in some strong "show" lighting which she says mimics sunlight.

Screenshot_20240303_191755_Instagram.jpg

Also this pic without lights on during the day (still in a plastic covering)
Screenshot_20240303_191933_Instagram.jpg

Overall it's just weird that she won't step outside and take a DIRECT SUNLIGHT PIC! but I'd pass if I were you bc it's just weird.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just chiming in to say for $6000 I would not risk it if the vendor is being cagey about direct sunlight photos!

Random thought: I learnt something today! Usually direct sunlight really flatters coloured stones but they seem to do the opposite for pearls! I did but know that!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you aren't offended @Pinkmartini87 but i tried to reach out to her and ask for the same thing (direct sunlight pic/video). I was told that the video she posted (which it looks like she sent you, screenshot below) was in sunlight (which obviously it isnt).

She also sent this pic in some strong "show" lighting which she says mimics sunlight.

Overall it's just weird that she won't step outside and take a DIRECT SUNLIGHT PIC! but I'd pass if I were you bc it's just weird.

Toilet photobomb? Wow.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

I have nothing to add beyond the aforementioned toilet a n d a sunlit toilet by the looks of it!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pinkmartini87,
If, as I suspect, the colors are very muted or nearly absent in direct sunlight, the seller stands to gain nothing by sending you a direct sunlight photo. She may be hoping that you will give up and buy it anyway.
I wouldn't do it.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just chiming in to say for $6000 I would not risk it if the vendor is being cagey about direct sunlight photos!

Random thought: I learnt something today! Usually direct sunlight really flatters coloured stones but they seem to do the opposite for pearls! I did but know that!!!

It's just overtone colors that suffer in direct sunlight. Many pearls glow in sunlight! Golden SSP, for example-- because the golden color is a body color, not an overtone. I have some Tahitian keshi that look like liquid silver in the sun. But they don't have any overtones, not even in the shade.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
@pearlsngems & @Dreamer_D @ShinyPleeease

Agreed. My heart says go for it but my gut instinct tells me to hold back. My level headed husband says if a vendor isn’t willing to fulfill a simple request (one photo in the sun is all I’m asking for), don’t fork over a nonrefundable $6k.

Her last response to me:

IMG_1126.png

Again, she has been prompt, courteous. But just won’t provide a sunny photo even as I’m offering to wait for a sunny day, although her location is Nan’an, China and per Google weather it is sunny all weekend this weekend. Perhaps she already has someone else willing to purchase…anyway, I think I’m going to pass.

I think I’m going to take an indefinite break from Tahitians. Like @pearlsngems astutely observed, if I’m truly looking for a strand that performs well in all light conditions, maybe Tahitians aren’t for me…

Back in the day there was a wise PSer who had a tag line of “when in doubt, don’t”. Seems appropriate for this situation.

I’m not a pearl expert, but I’ve been around these parts a while and seen many a search for a very specific want that seems to only lead to frustration or dead ends. Your conclusion — that maybe what you are chasing is a ghost of sorts! — seems a reasonable conclusion. Painful, but reasonable.

I hope you find an alternative thing to covet soon that brings nothing but joy!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs not at all, I’m so grateful to you for trying also, and yes, looks like the exact same photos/videos she sent me, not a single direct sunlight photo.

@mellowyellowgirl thank you—yes, as much as I’m tempted, my gut feeling (not helped by my husband very loudly telling me to pass on this lol) tells me to let this one go because there’s something not adding up here…

@canuk-gal & @Begonia haha #toiletgate2024

@pearlsngems You have always led me right and I think we are on the same page here.

@Dreamer_D Thank you. Yes, sometimes it’s hard to admit one is chasing the idea of something rather than the thing itself, in which case it’s best to turn back now than continuing to try to summit an unconquerable mountain.

Somehow, being in a supportive community like PS makes this “defeat” much easier to bear. I’m sure I’ll find another project to take up soon!

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and your caring!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to thank each and every one of you for all your time and help on this and truly helping me to keep a cool head. I’m very grateful for all the learning and common sense!

i want to cry how its turning out

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If everyone hasn’t left the party already lol, please come back and let me know what you think?

@pearlsngems @yssie @CMN @lovedogs @Catmom @ShinyPleeease what do you think of the colors?

I’m surprised the colors still look so good in direct sunlight!

Omg finally! Honestly I'd buy it. The colors are pretty epic. But try to pay goods and services just in case the pearls might be fake/dyed once you get them

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Omg finally! Honestly I'd buy it. The colors are pretty epic. But try to pay goods and services just in case the pearls might be fake/dyed once you get them

Oh man, are Tahitians faked/dyed these days? How to tell if they’ve been dyed? Are the colors too good to be true?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm just confused about how they aren't going dark at all in sunlight. They should get at least a little darker. But maybe I'm being too anal?

I kinda feel the same way, I’m excited but a little scared too: too good to be true?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read it as a bright but still slightly overcast day, therefore there is some diffuse light that brings out the overtones.
Why I think this: the pearls do cast some shadows, but the shadows are not as dark/strong as as one would see on a cloudless bright sunny day. The overtone colors are bright because of that element of diffuse light.

This is in China, right? China has a huge air pollution problem. I find myself wondering if the pollution produces a haze even on sunny days. I am inclined to think they will not look that colorful when you see them in person, at least not in the sun. But hey, that doesn't bother me-- remember, I am not someone who cares about that. As long as my pearls are colorful in diffuse light, I'm happy.
And these are colorful pearls.

I really don't think they're dyed. The only Tahitians that are color treated, to my knowledge, are chocolate and pistachio Tahitians (and some of those are genuine colors.)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if the pollution is causing a haze, this is not going to be better on a sunnier day. This may be the best video you can see of these pearls.
I've read that the reason people in Chinese cities wear masks is because of the air pollution. They were wearing masks long before Covid.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Also, if the pollution is causing a haze, this is not going to be better on a sunnier day. This may be the best video you can see of these pearls.
I've read that the reason people in Chinese cities wear masks is because of the air pollution. They were wearing masks long before Covid.

Thank you thank you thank you!

If they look like real undyed Tahitians, I think I want to go for it. They are certainly very colorful and I’m not sure I can do better in terms of color both in intensity and variety?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will you still be happy with them if you find them much less colorful in the sun, where you live?
I'm assuming you don't also live where there is a lot of air pollution.

Will you still be happy if they only look like this on an overcast day or in the shade, or indoors?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read it as a bright but still slightly overcast day, therefore there is some diffuse light that brings out the overtones.
Why I think this: the pearls do cast some shadows, but the shadows are not as dark/strong as as one would see on a cloudless bright sunny day. The overtone colors are bright because of that element of diffuse light.

This is in China, right? China has a huge air pollution problem. I find myself wondering if the pollution produces a haze even on sunny days. I am inclined to think they will not look that colorful when you see them in person, at least not in the sun. But hey, that doesn't bother me-- remember, I am not someone who cares about that. As long as my pearls are colorful in diffuse light, I'm happy.
And these are colorful pearls.

I really don't think they're dyed. The only Tahitians that are color treated, to my knowledge, are chocolate and pistachio Tahitians (and some of those are genuine colors.)

That makes sense. I've only seen those colors in dyed tahitians as well. The diffuse light/pollution makes more sense than them being dyed

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you thank you thank you!

If they look like real undyed Tahitians, I think I want to go for it. They are certainly very colorful and I’m not sure I can do better in terms of color both in intensity and variety?

I honestly don't think you'll find more intense colors.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Will you still be happy with them if you find them much less colorful in the sun, where you live?
I'm assuming you don't also live where there is a lot of air pollution.

Will you still be happy if they only look like this on an overcast day or in the shade, or indoors?

Thank you friend!

I think I like them enough—as long as the price isn’t outrageous, it’s amazing how far prices have gone up since I first started looking at Tahitians before the pandemic.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have answered your own question, then. ;)2

And yes, pearl prices are way up, although Tahitian prices have not risen recently as much as akoya and SSP, from all I read.

I thought there was a rather big jump in prices for Tahitians in 2015 compared to 2014, and they have only gone up from there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results