shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Ring Design, please

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I just received this for a ring with interchangeable stones, based on the inspiration ring photo I sent.

It's close to what I want but with some modifications. I hope I don't drive the jeweler crazy because I really don't know what I'm doing.

Maybe milgrain around the bezels to "soften" the look a little?

I don't really want the extra part on the band that comes up each side (with the small diamonds on it). It adds extra width on the shoulder, which I don't want (I think).

Also, do you think the surrounding stones would look more proportionate if they were a little smaller? Or, maybe the whole ring is too big and will look clunky and I should get smaller center stones too (maybe 9mm rather than 10mm?)

And, I think I want the bezels to go all the way round the surrounding stones rather than only partially on the outer edges as they do now.

I'm trying for an art deco cluster ring look.

Oh, also I want yellow gold for the bezel around the center stone and the band. And white gold (or platinum) around the surrounding diamonds. I think it's stated backwards there.

It will be a big ring. If I leave the size as is, guess I'll change the size so I can wear it on my middle finger rather than my ring finger.

IR .jpg

Also, here's a link. The center stones will be lab sapphires so I started the thread for this project under "Fabulous Fashion Jewelry." But I thought I might get more input here.

All thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, do you think the sides of the "basket" could be improved on? I had just meant this photo as an example of "an interchangeable ring mechanism," not necessarily as part of the design on my ring, but it seems to have been incorporated (no doubt for lack of any other instructions from me).

IR mechanism.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
This was the original inspiration photo I sent, but with 12 surround stones rather than 10 and without the "leaves?" on the sides; in other words, with just the "flower." But the one I get will have to have the halo cover more of the center stone, to be able to hold the interchangeable center stones in place.

IR36.jpg

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
...But now I wonder if a little more "frilly" might look better (or not?) Like this (but with a round center stone), the difference being the milgrain(?) around the bezels, as well as the surrounding bezels going completely around each stone.:

interchangeable ring38.png

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, are the tiny vertical notches on the bezels on the photo above "milgrain?"

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
This one also has the "milgrain." I can't decide if I like it with that or without better. Thoughts? interchangeable ring392.jpg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I don't like millgrains as I find them too fussy.

I believe the size of the stones in the halo is the biggest I would still consider as a halo. Any bigger would be a cluster to me.

I would probably opt for a smaller halo myself.

As for the gallery the inspiration setting, I believe it is a bit dull, and would probably opt for some more details like leaves or petals or scrolls.

Personal opinion and all that.

Fun project indeed!

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input, DK.

After much going back and forth in my mind about it, I've decided to keep it simple, basically just the "flower" design with a plain band, let the stones star. We shall see!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have changed my mind (again). I've gone back to a smaller ring design with smaller sidestones.

The interchangeable thing is fun but also confusing because I can't tell how big the center bezel needs to be in order to hold the interchangeable stones securely. I worried that it would look oddly oversized on a smaller ring. So then I got off track and found myself requesting a huge middle-finger-only ring rather than the everyday ring finger design that I had originally envisioned.

From the CAD drawing, I don't think the center bezel will be strangely large on a smaller ring design, so back we go again.

Oh well, guess it's better to do the flip-flopping before the ring is made rather than afterwards, at least.

I hope I don't drive DK crazy. :/

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Im a fanatic of side stones on the shank so I love them in all sizes---small med or large. I love any ring with sidestones. I'm not a huge halo fan unless the diamonds in the halo are very proportionate to the stone they're surrounding. It takes a well proportioned halo to wow me. I'd steer away from the milgrain and keep the ring plain but perhaps a design on the undergallery as others mentioned. I just find milgrain so busy that it detracts from the stone (s). what size are the diamonds in the halo and what size are the side stones along the shank?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results