shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with reset! ~3.5ct OEC family heirloom!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Help me, Pricescopers!

My grandmother and mother have agreed to pass on a ~3.5 ct OEC to me! Ahh! My grandmother inherited this ring from my great aunt who had inherited it from her great aunt. In the over a decade my grandmother has possessed this ring, she has worn it maybe twice. Once was to my wedding six years ago. It has spent the rest of its life locked in a safe (Except for when I would visit from out of town and insist on playing with it! Ha!). The current setting is some 70s/80s monstrosity that my great aunt had it reset into. I have no idea what happened to the original setting or what it looked like. :( Alas, I want to reset it into something that better complements the era of the stone. And of course, WEAR IT! HELP ME!

About the stone:
It's roughly 3.5cts. (I intend to get it graded and appraised to better know its characteristics.)
It's not perfectly round.
There's a tiny fleck of black carbon visible in the middle of the stone.
It is low in color. Visibly yellow. As A nonprofessional, I would guess anywhere from L to Q.

The setting:
I don't know if I want a halo or solitaire...
I like the idea of a bezel to make the stone appear more round and to protect the girdle.
I'm leaning towards yellow gold to complement the yellow hue of the stone (although I've seen some lovely low color stones in white metal while creeping on Show Me the Bling!). I have no problem wearing mixed metals.
Budget: I'm dreaming of staying under $3k but would maybe stretch a bit for something "perfect".
I've been pouring over Single Stone, Jewels by Grace, Love Affair Diamonds, etc...

And, of course, pics...

_4535.jpeg

_4536.jpeg

_4537.jpeg

_4538.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I'm green with envy. Lol Share with us what you decide on!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1467303029|4050113 said:
How wonderful!! I'd use Caysie van Bebber through Love Affair Diamonds. She is just a great designer. Her benches are sometimes slow, but I will have to say that the end result was worth it for me, personally.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-cvb-id-jewelry-the-new-cvb-eye-candy-thread.211825/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-cvb-id-jewelry-the-new-cvb-eye-candy-thread.211825/[/URL]

YES! And yellow gold. That will be so pretty with the lower color....

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
p.s. what an interesting 80s monstrosity! love how you poked the stone through paper towel to block out the setting :lol:

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Haha, thanks! The current setting detracts so much from the stone!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm drooling over the Zoe, Casablanca, & Amanda from CvB!

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A couple more poor iPhone pics:

The top pic is before I cleaned both of the rings on my index finger. The smaller halo-ed is another piece I'll eventually inherit.
You can really see the yellow of the OEC from the side shot.

_4556.jpeg

_4557.jpeg

_4558.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a lovely stone! Congrats on inheriting something so lovely :love: I just came to agree with others that CvB would be a great choice for this stone, as her aesthetic is vintage and unique. I think she could make something incredible for this stone. :appl:

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Its a pretty stone! It's always hard to tell from pics, but it may be even further down the scale than you are thinking - you might even consider playing up the yellow and trying to intensify it (e.g. contrasting white pave/sidestones, yellow gold head/cup, etc). I would definitely set in yellow gold. It has so much potential!

Single stone is going to be out of budget, but they have some amazing settings for OECs. I know David Klass has done some nice single stone replicas, if you like that look.

This is my favorite of the single some settings:

https://www.singlestone.com/rings_c29/page6/colette_p570/

_1259.png

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, yes, FightGravity! I really like the idea of a yellow head or bezel w/ white stones for contrast. If the stone turns out to be warmer than I think, I will be nothing but pleased! The stone does look more yellow in the pics than in person. For reference, the stones in the e-ring and 5 stone are H/I, though. It will be about 3 weeks before I can get it graded and appraised as we are in the middle of a move and leaving the country for ~10 days. So, the stone is still in the safe until I return. :( At least that gives me time to figure out what I want so I can immediately start the reset process when I return, right?! I fear I'm going to die from impatience in the meantime!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow - what an amazing inheritance! Looks like a gorgeous stone! I like your ideas about the setting it in yellow gold. My only input is to really take your time and think about what you want because it can be so costly to rush into a setting you don't really love. I can't wait to see what you do with her!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coatimundi's bezel!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY :love: what a gorgeous facet pattern on a lovely HONKER of a stone! No comments on settings but I'll be keen to see what you come up with.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How fun! I can't wait to follow the progression of this reset!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your e-ring is beautiful, by the way! I'd love to see more pictures of that including the profile view. Is it antique or a repro?

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks, diamondseeker2006! It's nothing too fancy. It's a cast 18k wg Jabel repro of a setting they used to make way back in the day. I wanted something that looked vintage, and we found it for a steal (less than $800) because the jeweler was clearing out stock they were no longer going to carry. The stone is 6.7mm, VS, and near colorless. Sorry, I don't remember all the diamond details; we also got it for cheap, respectively, from an estate dealer.

I'm in the middle of a 12 hour car trip (help!), so here are some crappy iPhone pics. It needs a good clean!

_4570.jpeg

_4571.jpeg

_4572.jpeg

_4573.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so I'm going against the grain here. I would go with the singlestone setting posted by fightgravity, in an 18k yellow. You're gonna only set this once right? For a honker that big, I would splurge if you can. Their pieces are so distinctive that it would be worth it to me. Can't wait to see what you finally decide.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That's a beautifully cut oec! Love the tiny table and huge kite facets. :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the OEC and I cannot wait to see how you reset it. What a special diamond and it is going to be a very special ring! :love:
FWIW I love the setting from Singlestone that FightGravity posted.

And I LOVE your ER. Beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results