shape
carat
color
clarity

help with engagement ring

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. my lady is less than 5.2 feet with ring size of 3.5. Her ER is 2mm. I think it is a bit thin. She has tried Tiffany rings which looked better and are noticeably thicker (I have heard somewhere between 2.0mm and 2.5mm). I hope this gives you some idea. Regarding pregnancy... people change and that's why some people re-size thier ring multiple times in throughout their life. My lady is actually ring size 3.25. 3.0 is just too tight. I guess go with 5.5 size? or ask the customer rep for size 5.25 for perfect fit. It does not cost anything to ask. If things go wrong, re-sizing is free within 30~60 days in most cases.
2. That G SI is a great offer from WF. I agree. Check how eye clean the stone is. Ask them to be very specific. For example, from the side, and from a distance less than the usual 8~10 inches. SI1 can be just fine, as long as you set your own expectation on eye-cleanliness and be selective and careful.
But a G VS1 can be found at $4k (my last recommendation). 10% premium + two downgrades on clarity for better upgrade policy, quality assurance (ASET/IS), customer service, and potentially (not necessarily) better cut. Not always an easy decision to make. That's why you need to read find prints and pick a vendor that is suitable for you.
3. AGS Ideal is not necessarily better than GIA Ex. They are a bit different. Re-try HCA score on your first BN stone. You will see the dotted outlined area (GIA X) and the solid outlined area (AGS 0). Sure, AGS 0 is significantly smaller and more selective, but it also includes diamonds whose pav angle is less than 40.6/40.5, which is no no in GIA cut grading system.
4. Wedding ring is a completely different topic IMHO. I picked a "matching" band from JA, and I was not too impressed with the quality of pave diamond they use.

piano

Rough_Rock
Before I registered and start posting, I've already known this day will come. I love more input but I knew that the more I get, the harder the decision can be :(. It's not like math, either right or wrong.
One is G VS1 with no idealscope image, the other is G SI1 with the image.
Hard to make, hard to make! I probably have to toss the coin :)

Again, thanks all

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
give yourself some time, keep searching, always ask for IS/Actual/ASET image (you never know. they may provide you)
It is not that unusual some spend couple months searching for the perfect stone.

When you think you found THE stone, put the stone on HOLD and post the stone and IS/ASET images for other members' inputs

Good luck.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
if you are willing to drop down in colour. You should be able to request an aset for the below if you are

0.96 H SI1 AGS O (light performance) $4716 wire price

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/0.96-carat-h-si1-ideal-round-cut-diamond-gid-633141.html

1.00 I SI1 please request cert from them $4908 wire price

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.00-carat-i-si1-ideal-round-cut-diamond-gid-721864.html#top

For a smaller and perfectly cut diamond, unfortunately the images are not loading on my browser so I can't see how SI1 the SI1 actually is

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7831/?shop=yes

0.86 G SI1 $4808 wire price

I also didn't see much to write home about on James Allen at the minute.

piano

Rough_Rock
@coralfish,
Bigger is better ......... look, right :)
I love it but I think it will be over my budget, I need the setting too.
Also, I think Brilliantly Engaged does charge $250 restocking fee if return.

@flyingpig,
Most if not all vendors that I've tried to contact, either say NO or not responding, so I guess I just keep the fingers crossed.
I hope I can pull the trigger soon and be done with it.

Thanks all for helping me.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok.

It is important to understand that the same stone can be offered by multiple vendors. In this case, another vendor had better access to this H VVS1 and provided the IS image and better price.

For example, the G VS1 I recommended is also offered by solomon brothers. Find the stone in their website and ask for IS image. Ask for any pricescope discount and price matching. Again, it never hurts to ask.

When you find a stone you like, try searching the stone, using gia certification number, on other vendors database. Or google it. Gotta shop around. After all, you are paying 5k per carat

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
piano|1457991259|4005264 said:
msop04|1457990627|4005257 said:
piano|1457977628|4005158 said:
My lady is 5'3" with 5/5.5 ring size so I don't want getting a "thick" ring. I thought the standard is 2mm.

Hi piano. :wavey:

I am 5'5" and wear a size 5 ring. I can assure you that 2.5 mm isn't thick at all. In fact, most will recommend 2.0 as the thinnest shank to be safe. If your intended likes the looks of a knife edge, they look even thinner than they actually are...
Thank you so much, msop04.
That would buy me a peace of mind.

Just another general question if you don't mind.
She said her size is 5.25, and most of vendors only offer either 5 or 5.5.
If I have to make a choice, would you recommend 5 or 5.5 size?
I don't want it too tight on her but again, not too loose.
What happen if she gets "fatter" :( during pregnancy and going forward?
Hopefully this is not a weird question.

It really depends on how she likes her rings to fit. Personally, I'd rather have mine a little loose, but she may like hers snug. Also, the thinner band won't feel as tight as a thicker band in the same size. Another thing to consider is she'll be wearing two rings on that finger, so it will likely be about 4 mm or a little more total thickness -- and what if she wants to stack a different band with them, KWIM? For those reasons, I would go with the 5.5 size.

piano

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1458057471|4005653 said:
Ok.

It is important to understand that the same stone can be offered by multiple vendors. In this case, another vendor had better access to this H VVS1 and provided the IS image and better price.

For example, the G VS1 I recommended is also offered by solomon brothers. Find the stone in their website and ask for IS image. Ask for any pricescope discount and price matching. Again, it never hurts to ask.

When you find a stone you like, try searching the stone, using gia certification number, on other vendors database. Or google it. Gotta shop around. After all, you are paying 5k per carat
That's new to me, learning day by day :)

It's amazing that the other PS member did score a great deal along with the idealscope image.

piano

Rough_Rock
msop04|1458059110|4005666 said:
piano|1457991259|4005264 said:
msop04|1457990627|4005257 said:
piano|1457977628|4005158 said:
My lady is 5'3" with 5/5.5 ring size so I don't want getting a "thick" ring. I thought the standard is 2mm.

Hi piano. :wavey:

I am 5'5" and wear a size 5 ring. I can assure you that 2.5 mm isn't thick at all. In fact, most will recommend 2.0 as the thinnest shank to be safe. If your intended likes the looks of a knife edge, they look even thinner than they actually are...
Thank you so much, msop04.
That would buy me a peace of mind.

Just another general question if you don't mind.
She said her size is 5.25, and most of vendors only offer either 5 or 5.5.
If I have to make a choice, would you recommend 5 or 5.5 size?
I don't want it too tight on her but again, not too loose.
What happen if she gets "fatter" :( during pregnancy and going forward?
Hopefully this is not a weird question.

It really depends on how she likes her rings to fit. Personally, I'd rather have mine a little loose, but she may like hers snug. Also, the thinner band won't feel as tight as a thicker band in the same size. Another thing to consider is she'll be wearing two rings on that finger, so it will likely be about 4 mm or a little more total thickness -- and what if she wants to stack a different band with them, KWIM? For those reasons, I would go with the 5.5 size.

Thanks again, msop04
Will take into consideration.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you called whiteflash to discuss that diamond? They have great customer service. Give them a chance. They may also have other options available to you if the thin girdle does end up being an issue.

Also, I would probably verify with your girl whether the 5.25 size was during the summer or cooler weather. Some of us swell in the fingers when the weather gets warmer.

piano

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1458062504|4005678 said:
Have you called whiteflash to discuss that diamond? They have great customer service. Give them a chance. They may also have other options available to you if the thin girdle does end up being an issue.

Also, I would probably verify with your girl whether the 5.25 size was during the summer or cooler weather. Some of us swell in the fingers when the weather gets warmer.
I haven't called them yet, will do.

I will ask her again to be sure.

Thanks m8

piano

Rough_Rock
piano|1458065964|4005696 said:
PintoBean|1458062504|4005678 said:

I haven't called them yet, will do.

I will ask her again to be sure.

Thanks m8

Just talked to them
That is what they have, if wanting better clarity, must pay more. Simple :)
As expected, they said everything is fine, nothing to worry about.

A note: about shipping cost, we, customers have to pay the return shipping. This applied to WF as well as Eternity. Just let everyone know.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
May I suggest the following for further consideration.

They will shoot a comparison video of your selection and put it on youtube as the following diamonds are in-house

Sorry I don't have time to run them through the HCA but please do this for non AGS 000

Note bank wire price is less

If interested in an SI2 let us know so we can investigate inclusions

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0.80ct-g-vs2-platinum-select-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0.9ct-1.html

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1.01ct-i-si2-gold-select-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0.82ct-f-vs2-platinum-select-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0.9ct-h-si1-platinum-select-ideal-cut-round-diamond.html

They will make you something like this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTR2bJwccPA

Here is an example of their branded cut in the video, in your price range

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-72ct-g-vs1-hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond.html

piano

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot, Coralfish.

I look at the clarity of those stone, dang, I completely shy away from SI stuff.
The last link you provided, looks great though.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Couple of thoughts:

1. Stay away from IGI grading, inconsistent. Lots written on them. Look at only AGS and GIA graded stones.
2. Speak to Chris at BE. (He did the halo work on wife's ER), excellent after sale service
or
3. Call Leslie at BGD (she did diamond studs, drop diamond pendant, tennis bracelet), excellent after sale service.

Good luck

piano

Rough_Rock
WillyDiamond|1458233147|4006829 said:
Couple of thoughts:

1. Stay away from IGI grading, inconsistent. Lots written on them. Look at only AGS and GIA graded stones.
2. Speak to Chris at BE. (He did the halo work on wife's ER), excellent after sale service
or
3. Call Leslie at BGD (she did diamond studs, drop diamond pendant, tennis bracelet), excellent after sale service.

Good luck
Thanks for the info.
I will extend my search to BE and BGD.

piano

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1458236095|4006856 said:

first link: I don't really think they have IS image :( I haven't not asked for this particular one but I asked them b4. Not only them, all, I mean all of the stones that I have asked, none of them got back with a yes.

second like: I think so too plus it's gone, unavailable.

The one that you recommended before, the G/VS2 (actually VS1), even though still shows on the websites, none of them has it in stock. I've contacted Eternity, SolomonB, Brilliantly Engaged.
The G/SI from WF seems good but I really shy away from SI after looking at those clarity pictures in the previous post.
I'm tired of searching :(

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for the WF. They have a good return policy. I think you need to see it with your own eyes. If you don't like it, return it.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5k is a popular budget.
While I was helping you, I have seen several stones getting snatched within minutes. Yes, the competition for good stones are high.
It takes patience and time and alot of researching to find a good deal, especially if you are shopping from non-signature selections.

Like I said, some spend couple months finding the perfect one (that was the case for me). I found it fun and enjoyable. For some, it is stressful.

I have found a fair price for 0.9 H VS is around 4.4~4.5k (for non-signature, non branded)
If you are ok with 0.8 carat, this increases your search results and you get to save $1000 =>save for an amazing eternity wedding ring.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-894028
(I would buy something like this without the IS, because it is gia XXX, with ideal proportion, with good HCA score, and potential AGS ideal, and photo looks ok)
Or..
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3638364.htm
(this is a top-performing ES from WF. The IS/ASET is ACA level. I believe it does not qualify for ACA because the crown angle is 35.1..)
or
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.848-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104085060018
Brian Gavin is having a sale, including wedding bands, diamonds and setting.. Great opportunity for you.

More options to consider.

piano

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1458241486|4006899 said:
My vote is for the WF. They have a good return policy. I think you need to see it with your own eyes. If you don't like it, return it.

Now, it's the only option or I have to continue searching or lower my grades.
I love the fact that they have the IS/ASET images but SI clarity is what keeps me away. Do you view those SI pics from links in the previous post. When asking, they said it's eye-clean but that what they say in the end.
I can return the product, all vendors that I've seen on PriceScope do have free return policy, however, many of them require customers to pay return shipping, and WF is one of them, they don't cover that.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have mailed by USPS insured to BGD in the past for upgrades, and it's not that expensive in the scheme of things. I can't recall off the top of my head exactly how much, but I think it was less than $40.

I think you need to talk to WF again about that diamond. They have it on hand, so they would best advise you about the inclusions.

piano

Rough_Rock
flyingpig|1458243212|4006914 said:
If you are ok with 0.8 carat, this increases your search results and you get to save $1000 =>save for an amazing eternity wedding ring.

Reading your line, I paused for a second then cracking. I was thinking getting her a .8ct one along with $1000 cash :D
"Hon, I can't find a perfect .9ct one, so I get you a .8ct and here's the left-over" :D

Anyway, thanks a lot flyingpig, I will explore those options.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
piano|1458244007|4006919 said:

Reading your line, I paused for a second then cracking. I was thinking getting her a .8ct one along with $1000 cash :D

Actually, in my case, it was a bag. :D

piano

Rough_Rock
Also, I will be out of town to see her next Thursday, 24th, so if I can't get it b4 then, I will not pull the trigger until next time I see her (another month). I want her to have it within the 30-day return window.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
piano|1458244423|4006924 said:
Also, I will be out of town to see her next Thursday, 24th, so if I can't get it b4 then, I will not pull the trigger until next time I see her (another month). I want her to have it within the 30-day return window.
Great Idea

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side ntoe - if your GF gets pregnant, please don't EVER call her fat. You will be missing a body part or be in a lot of pain :wall:

piano

Rough_Rock
5k is a popular budget.
While I was helping you, I have seen several stones getting snatched within minutes. Yes, the competition for good stones are high.
It takes patience and time and alot of researching to find a good deal, especially if you are shopping from non-signature selections.

Like I said, some spend couple months finding the perfect one (that was the case for me). I found it fun and enjoyable. For some, it is stressful.

I have found a fair price for 0.9 H VS is around 4.4~4.5k (for non-signature, non branded)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.81-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-894028
(I would buy something like this without the IS, because it is gia XXX, with ideal proportion, with good HCA score, and potential AGS ideal, and photo looks ok)
Or..
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3638364.htm
(this is a top-performing ES from WF. The IS/ASET is ACA level. I believe it does not qualify for ACA because the crown angle is 35.1..)
or
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.848-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104085060018
Brian Gavin is having a sale, including wedding bands, diamonds and setting.. Great opportunity for you.

More options to consider.

These are so awesome, thanks flyingpig.
Do I have to lower to .8ct :( to get a great one?
Why is it so hard to find a great .9ct one? :( within that range, grrrr

I have a feeling if I keep searching, eventually I will strike a good deal on great rock but time doesn't align well for me.
What a life!

piano

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1458245911|4006949 said:
Side ntoe - if your GF gets pregnant, please don't EVER call her fat. You will be missing a body part or be in a lot of pain :wall:
She will ask for a bigger stone if getting "fatter" j/k
No, don't worry, I won't be rude.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results