shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with E-ring- how to make better than Tiffany's Legacy??

kamancali

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I started a thread earlier on surprising my gf with a E-W Marquise E-ring- a lot of you set me straight, so thanks! I finally got some friend's feedback on who's ring she liked the most, and it appears her style is the following:

Tiffany's Legacy with graduated sidestones
http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10014

Now, I've been on PS long enough to know many of you would (rightfully) shoot me if I shelled out that kind of money for a bad Tiffany's cut! So I'm asking you all today to suggest:

1) Modified cushion cuts (square H&A, jubilees, etc), or modified princess cuts that will really sparkle and knock the socks off the Tiffany's Legacy Cushion (not that, I'm competitive, but yeah!). Size ~1.5 carats, lets say $10-15k budget for the rock.
-I've found GOG, and they're great- but are there any other vendors out there that are as informative with ASET or idealscope pics?

2) Settings that are similar to the above Tiffany's hyperlink, only better! I do like the graduated sidestones filling the band as it gets bigger however. Designers that seem similar would be Veragio and Tacori?

Thanks so much everyone, looking forward to the comments! Good or bad, nice or punchy, all are gladly accepted!

If you're wondering how I got schooled inthe world of PS on E-W Marquises, see the below hyperlink for laughs!
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ng-too-eccentric-to-surprise-her-with.163674/

kamancali

Rough_Rock
Re: Help with E-ring- how to make better than Tiffany's Lega

Radiants wold work too- basically anything that's squarish and has lots of sprakle...err scintillation..sorry :).

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock

There are tons of threads on here about the Legacy and Legacy replicas. Use the search box at the top of the page, type in legacy or legacy Replica and you'll find more info than you ever wanted (and faster than waiting for people to respond here).

Here's one for example:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffanys-legacy-replica-help.161760/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffanys-legacy-replica-help.161760/[/URL]

kamancali

Rough_Rock

zeronie3- thanks never head of the first link, will chekc out!

bigdiamondtinygal- Thanks, but I'm not looking for replicas, I'm just saying the Legacy is a starting point. I don't mind the setting being different. Looking for comments on how maybe the setting can change based on the desire for a modified cushion cut as well.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

This would be my pick for a princess cut

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2559248.htm

Setting not exactly tiffany but equally gorgeous

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/amphora-for-princess-diamond-engagement-ring-1521.htm

It is pictured with the same size diamond so you get the idea

They are also running a special on settings when you buy an A cut princess until the end of july

http://www.whiteflash.com/promotions/aca-princess-diamond-discount-ring-setting.aspx

slg47

Ideal_Rock

I would try to narrow down what you want for the center stone first and then go from there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If it were me, I'd call up Victor Canerra, who is near you, and get his opinion on a setting. He does amazing handmade work and has a lovely history of working with graduated french styles. And then I would look into some nice cushions for the center.

I also HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest a trip to Singlestone in LA. You will be amazed at their selection.

I would NOT go for a copy of that Legacy... you said her friend has one. She doesn't want a copy. She just likes the style. So go with the style, but please don't get her a Tiffany COPY.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

slg47|1312054416|2980640 said:
I would try to narrow down what you want for the center stone first and then go from there.

Ditto. The stone cut you pick will help to narrow down a setting that is legacy ish but better :)

kamancali

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy- you nailed that one. No replicas, just a starting point for discussion.

Thanks for the local info- I'll swing by there tomorrow if they're open!

kamancali

Rough_Rock

New intel update- no split bands allowed! (eg ones you can see through) That directive came in pretty definitive I'd have to say...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

kamancali|1312060170|2980701 said:
New intel update- no split bands allowed! (eg ones you can see through) That directive came in pretty definitive I'd have to say...

Haha- seems like your GF definitely knows what she likes and what she doesn't like. Good thing you ditched the idea of completely surprising her with any input from her or her friends ;))

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

Tell the custom jeweler, cushion-cut diamond center stone, milgrain bezel diamond halo, cathedral shank with bead set diamonds on a 2mm band.

That should be enough to get the jeweler going on a ring with some of the Legacy's characteristics without copying the Legacy.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Glad to help. I say do some recon, take your camera with you.

I personally would talk to Victor about a graduated french cut (tapering down from the center) setting. I would also consider a bezel set center. Some milgrain, but not milgrain everywhere.

At Singlestone, just look at everything. I have three friends with gorgeous rings from them. They have lovely stuff in house and do lovely custom work as well.

Keep an open mind about Halo/Non-Halo types.

AND.. most imporantly, this is a woman who seems to have an idea of what she wants. CONSIDER TAKING HER WITH YOU, PLEASE! Remember this is something she will wear the rest of her life.... she really might want to pick it out!

And finally another local browsing option, 23rd Street Jewelers... they have some stuff PSers would give their eye teeth to own.

kamancali

Rough_Rock

Hahaha, the Tacori 2620 sure does seem popular here on PS, and it fell similar, almost TOO similar, to the Tiffany's Legacy! Definetly a alternative however!

I've been thinking the following rock:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8219/

Q1- will the imperfections on the table be eye visible? I like the light reflection of this puppy. (Hopefully this one wont go off the market right as I post about it, like last time :( )

Q2- anyone have alternative opinions? Everyone seems to concentrate on the ring, not the rock!

Thanks!
KamanCali

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

kamancali|1312072192|2980807 said:
Hahaha, the Tacori 2620 sure does seem popular here on PS, and it fell similar, almost TOO similar, to the Tiffany's Legacy! Definetly a alternative however!

I've been thinking the following rock:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8219/

Q1- will the imperfections on the table be eye visible? I like the light reflection of this puppy. (Hopefully this one wont go off the market right as I post about it, like last time :( )

Q2- anyone have alternative opinions? Everyone seems to concentrate on the ring, not the rock!

Thanks!
KamanCali

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7313/ This one.

kamancali

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy for all the help between both my posts! It's been much noticed and appreciated!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you!

As for the stone versus ring. If you were planning on proposing with a solitaire or a temp setting... we'd be very focused on the stone. And we will still be, but we want to make sure you are on the right road with the ring as a whole, because we are POSITIVE we can find you the right stone. Finding the right setting however... especially without her involved directly is the real challenge.

Just to put it in perspective, when I became a member 5 years ago I'd had my center for 4 years. It took me 5 more years to get my perfect setting. I wasn't the only one with this issue either.

We can help you find a stone in a day to a few weeks if you are looking for something obscure. Finding the right setting, even if you are shopping for yourself, can take years.

I'll put it to you this way. Would you "surprise" her with a wedding dress? For most of us settings are wedding dresses we wear forever, every day. It has to be JUST RIGHT.

Or a simple inexpensive solitaire we can switch out for the right setting when it comes along.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Since you are considering a J and she does like the Legacy, which is a mix of cushion and asscher... have you considered an asscher?

This one has a lot of potential. And since it's an Asscher 2 carats is a good size, not like marquise that is spready and unweildy at 2 carats.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Asscher-Diamond-1134710.asp

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi!

Have you checked out Brian Gavin's Quadex? I have seen one in person in the Michele setting (just like the one Timslin recently created), and it is TO DIE FOR!!!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/opinion-on-bgd-e-ring.163141/

To me, a princess cut faces up smaller, but the Quadex faces up larger and has a re-DONK-ulous buh-bling factor! For example, my mom's Quadex is 0.87 ct, but the measurements are: 6.33×5.39×3.87 - pretty good real estate for under 1 ct!!! :lickout:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049553008

DonnaH

Rough_Rock

Kaman Cali,

I just had a ring made by Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct. It has a vintage yet modern feel. 1 carat cushion in platiun um setting.I dont have a good picture but I attached the CAD. It is WAY more delicate and beautiful in person. It has some engraving on the side and two surpirse sapphires on the inside of the band...perhaps if you still like the yellow diamond idea, you could incorporate that.

I had a magnificent experience with Mark.

DANNA 3.jpg

DonnaH

Rough_Rock

Better front view...CADS ARE KIND OF CLUNKY AND NOT SO PRETTY

DANNA 4.jpg

kamancali

Rough_Rock

PintoBean- thanks for quadex reference. Q- none of them are square, they all are ~1.2 ratio? What's up with that? Other than that you're right big surface area comparitevely. Would a non-square make the future mount tricker? How about color- would a J color be hidden by all the scintillation?

Gypsy- For reference, none of the girls (gf or friend), knew it was a cushion / ascher cut on the Tif Legend- just it was her friend's "Legen............wait for it..........daaaaary Ring!" (Sorry for the HIMYM reference, couldn't resist!). She's not a big-time jewelry girl, so you betcha on "buying the wedding dress sight unseen" :). Call me old fashion- but that's why I'm here on PS! Well that at return policys are nice!

KamanCali

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kamancali... okay. Last try. 8) I gotta give it one more go just because I REALLY FEEL that if you do this they way SHE WANTS. Weather that is jointly or as a surprise it's going to be a more mutually wonderful experience.

HAVE SOMEONE ASK HER: Do you want your ring to be a surprise, or do you want a surprise proposal and then to shop for the ring together?

You've already found out so much about her you didn't know. You had no idea she liked the Legacy ring, or that she disliked split shanks. How many other things are there to discover if you do this... it will be so much FUN for the both of you and be such a great experience in uncovering more about each other. And the resulting ring will be something that will have ALL THOSE AMAZING MEMORIES attached to it. Seriously. I KNOW you really think this surprise thing is the way to go... but just listen TO HER. ASK HER how she wants to do it.

In her culture couples pick rings out together. THIS IS HER TRADITION. You want to do something traditional... why not honor her heritage?

She HAS a DEFINITE opinion on things she likes and doesn't like-- like split shanks. What else does she dislike that you don't know about?

Jewelry is a matter of taste and style. Not rocks and metal. Whether or not she's into jewelry or not she has TASTE and STYLE. And she's the expert on that. She knows what she will like better than anyone.

She will be wearing the ring for the rest of her life. Is it more important to you that she loves it and it's perfect... or that you satisfy your pride and surprise her with a ring she'll wear everyday... maybe in regret that you didn't follow her tradition and shop for it together so she could have gotten something she loved more.

An engagement ring isn't just a piece of jewelry. It's a symbol of your commitment to EACH OTHER. Not just you to her. So why can't the process for obtaining it be a joint process?

I know you said she loves your spontaneity-- tell her you are going to lunch. Make an appointment at Singlestone. Ari (owner) will work with you to arrange a lovely lunch for her AT THE STORE (he once catered a PS event at his store without even asking us, it was wonderful)-- and then... surprise honey. Will you marry me? I want to create a life with you... starting with the dream ring both of you can be proud of.

There are so many MORE creative ways of being spontaneous and surprising her than with an expensive piece of jewelry that she may not love.

Custom settings are NOT returnable. Even if you order a Tacori or Verragio, the minute the 'customize it" for your stone... it's not returnable.

This is a guy who can surprise his lady. He knows the exact ring she wants. She thinks she can't have it. And he's found a way to give it to her... so he's surprising her with that. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-stone-help.163325/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cut-stone-help.163325/[/URL]
But he knows exactly what she wants. To the minute detail. He's talked to her, asked her opinion. They've chosen the ring together... a three stone emerald cut like the Harry Winston one. He's surprising her with EXACTLY what she wants. That's a smart surprise.

You aren't in the same position... But you CAN BE.

HAVE SOMEONE ASK HER: Do you want your ring to be a surprise, or do you want a surprise proposal and then to shop for the ring together?

If she surprise, great. Really. But if she doesn't. YOU KNOW.

Either way... that's the way to be a true partner.

Last try. I promise. But please... just consider it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results