shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a 5ct+ ring

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Here's a large stone with pleasing proportions. Kinda famous for its beauty, too.

From a purely design/aesthetic point of view, consider bucking the current trend of attaching giant stones to wispy little pave encrusted shanks. Do something different, more substantial, and more balanced, for your future wife's setting.

the-elizabeth-taylor-diam-021.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1449152535|3956874 said:
You are in very safe hands with someone like Good Old Gold if you have contacted them. They will source you a beautiful diamond. I am of the opinion that you do not have to go there. They provide photos and videos of the stone and then it is pretty easy to choose. In fact, we will help you choose because some of us have been here a long time and know good diamonds. ;)) I would consider H and I color if it was the right stone. See the two diamonds I post below...one is H and the other I color.

Then GOG can hand carry the diamond to Steven Kirsch for you. You will have complications trying to send a diamond of that value yourself. This is the easiest way to do it if you are working with GOG.

As far as the diamond goes, I would personally stick with emerald cut from what you have said about her. I would not consider a pear in that size, and finding a good oval is so hard. I think EC is a very classy look, but as Gypsy said, you might need to go to closer to 6 cts in an EC as they can be cut deeper than some shapes. There are a few members here with 5 ct diamonds or close to 5 cts. I will post links to their threads for you just so you can see size. You'll get a lot of size appearance for your money with a round.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-5-ct-whiteflash-aca.210847/[/URL]

And Phoenix's...

I recommend you check good old gold youtube channel. They do videos for special clients. They show stones under different magnifications and lighting condition, as well as various light performance images if applicable.if that is not sufficient, you may decide to fly

Also check out JannPaul youtube channel(singapore). They may provide similar service.

bpc

Rough_Rock
Pretty sure a named diamond is way out of my range!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1449164496|3956952 said:
If you're talking about the leon, he often accepts offers for much less than the posted price.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1449165667|3956957 said:
If you're talking about the leon, he often accepts offers for much less than the posted price.

I think he is referring to the Liz Taylor diamond! :bigsmile:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1449168793|3956975 said:
telephone89|1449165667|3956957 said:

I think he is referring to the Liz Taylor diamond! :bigsmile:
LOL missed the title on that picture.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd seriously just advise you to stick with what you are doing. Let GOG search and give you some options. Then have Steven Kirsch make the custom setting.

I happen to have pictures of two large emerald cut rings (6-7 cts) with lovely small diamond sides that I tried on. This really adds beauty and elegance to the setting but lets the center stone be the star. I would choose one of these if I were so fortunate to have a large emerald cut diamond. (Steven would make beautiful prongs, though!)

2014-06-07_40.jpg

2014-06-07_41.jpg

2014-06-07_42.jpg

2014-06-07_43.jpg

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Do you want it to look huge, or do you want to be able to say it's 5ct+? Or both? I think ovals and pears in that range are getting awfully big for an everyday wear ring, since they are so much spreadier, and so they become more of a special occasion piece (unless you're a celebrity, and your whole life is special occasions :) ). The most beautiful ring I've seen in real life is a 6ct colorless EC solitaire - it looks VERY substantial but also very, very elegant. I would personally be aiming for a colorless emerald or rectangular cushion in a gorgeous platinum solitaire at your price point.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, if GOG found a good oval, I would be all over that.

So I would direct them to find you best Emerald or Oval they can within your parameters. I still would stick to G or better color personally. But I suppose if they could find a nice H that would work too. I would not go down to I in a 5+ carat fancy.

They can walk it over to Steven (which is why I recommended him).

And yes, you should definitely slow down.

Get her something else for Christmas.

Make sure the ring is just right.

bpc

Rough_Rock
GOG responded with 3 suggestions:
4.6ct DVVS2 Oval GIA with faint fluorescence for $195,080 [pic attached 433237]

5ct EVS2 Oval GIA no fluorescence for $212,467 [pic attached 9090]

5ct EVS2 Oval GIA no fluorescence for $195,751 [pic attached 520-032]

Will upload pictures separately. They're asking for a 500 non refundable deposit to call in the stones. Is that typical? Doesn't seem unreasonable if they do good eork but I have no previous experience with them.

Also, is the color / clarity too high for what I need? Versus what was suggested before in this thread. I feel like they're optimizing for maximization of quality just under budget instead of value. Will point this out again obviously when I follow up with them but I'm quite happy spending less than max if normal eyes can't tell the difference, or if the marginal cost of going one step up in rated quality is too steep relative to some normal sense of value.

_973.jpeg

_974.jpeg

_975.jpeg

bpc

Rough_Rock
I think having it look big is a priority, and 5ct just seems doable within the price range if I'm not looking for the best quality gem. I think it'd be a special occasions thing, can't imagine she'd want 150k hanging from her finger everyday!

bpc

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have experience with JannPaul or someone in Hong Kong?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn't pay for D VVS when it is going to look much the same as a G VS for about half as much (maybe not half, but significantly less). Yes, absolutely, the deposit shows them you are serious and it costs them money to bring in stones. I am honestly not a fan of either #2 or #3 from those photos. I wish you'd get them to see what is available in emerald cuts.

If this is going to be a special occasion piece, what is the engagement ring going to be???

bpc

Rough_Rock
Does buyng a finished ring from a jeweler like Leon mean much higher markups vs buying a loose diamond and setting separately?

Thanks

bpc

Rough_Rock
Okay I may be confused. This is an engagement ring, but I don't think she'd wear her engagement ring every day. Am I just clueless?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc said:
Okay I may be confused. This is an engagement ring, but I don't think she'd wear her engagement ring every day. Am I just clueless?

You could be clueless :)) . I mean that with respect of course. What's your intended like? Is the crowd you're trying to please her crowd or yours? I think a lot of women will want to be able to wear their e-ring anytime, but choose not to depending on the situation. Many won't wear it working out, doing dishes, laundry, etc. but will wear it everyday. Do you think your GF will be pleased that you're spending so much on her ring or uncomfortable? Only asking because it's a lot of money and I don't think you'll want to feel like it was a mistake. This is a very happy and momentous occasion after all. I think it's fine to want to give her a large diamond, but please consider what you think she would want and be happy with since she is the one who will be wearing it.

And just curious why you don't think she'll wear her e-ring everyday? Has she mentioned that to you?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
I personally wouldn't pay for D VVS when it is going to look much the same as a G VS for about half as much (maybe not half, but significantly less). Yes, absolutely, the deposit shows them you are serious and it costs them money to bring in stones. I am honestly not a fan of either #2 or #3 from those photos. I wish you'd get them to see what is available in emerald cuts.

If this is going to be a special occasion piece, what is the engagement ring going to be???

DS, the 5+ carat stone is going to be for the e-ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most women in the US wear the engagement ring everyday. So if you want it to be practical for daily wear, I'd not go over the top size-wise on this ring. Yes, she can have cocktail rings with huge stones for special occasions. But our custom here is to wear the engagement ring daily.

If you are set on an oval, I don't know if anyone has posted this one, but you can ask Good Old Gold to see if they can access it for you. It looks better to me than the ones above.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/5.14-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-209485

If this was for me, however, I'd rather have a round or emerald cut for everyday, and a huge oval for a special occasion ring for an anniversary or something.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
bpc|1449198836|3957230 said:
I think having it look big is a priority, and 5ct just seems doable within the price range if I'm not looking for the best quality gem. I think it'd be a special occasions thing, can't imagine she'd want 150k hanging from her finger everyday!

I have a somewhat novel suggestion, maybe.

I think perhaps what you need to do is talk to her.

Of one of your friends got a large ring, ask her thoughts on it. Is it wearable for every day? Or is it a special ocassion ring?

As for the ovals. I really like the first one (in the halo) and the last one. Will they do a video and an ASET of them? I think both of them are lovely and their facets seems to avoid the bowtie.

Also $500 is very reasonable for all the services you are going to get. They are very good at what they do.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
bpc|1449198836|3957230 said:

If that is the case shouldn't you also look for a smaller everyday ring for her = in my opinion an engaged lady does not want to go around with a bare hand :wall:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
LLJsmom|1449216321|3957343 said:
Asscher, H, VS1. ID Jewelry. 5.33 carats. Strong blue Fluor which explains the price. Under $60k I believe. Saw this stone IRL, along with Missy, another PSer. Stunning. Truly always "on". Could not see any dead spots. Call Yekutiel and ask him. It might still be available.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-33-h-vs1-square-emerald-strong-blue-fluor.217112/

This one is the one no dilly dallying just go for it its a dream :appl: :appl: and faces up small enough for everyday wear :appl: :appl:

bpc

Rough_Rock
Beautiful Asscher cut! How come it looks so small relative to your 2.5ct MRB though? I reached out to ID

bpc

Rough_Rock
Sphene|1449218486|3957349 said:
If that is the case shouldn't you also look for a smaller everyday ring for her = in my opinion an engaged lady does not want to go around with a bare hand :wall:

What is this sense of dread I'm feeling...you mean this isn't the last time I'll need to buy a diamond? :-o

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
bpc, what is her ring size? I'm starting to worry that if she's very small then some diamond shapes (round, square) just won't work. They will hang off her finger and handicap her in her daily activities! Normally I don't love marquise shape diamonds, but in large sizes they are not only spectacular but more wearable since their size runs parallel to the length of the finger. The two marquise/oval rings posted by Asscher Girl at Lang's are spectacular and have very classy settings.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1449226906|3957363 said:
Beautiful Asscher cut! How come it looks so small relative to your 2.5ct MRB though? I reached out to ID

Asschers hold more of their weight in their depth by nature of the cut. IRL, it's a significant stone. No one would call it small. You can totally see it from a distance. But is it as in-your-face big as a 5 carat MRB, no.

If I had this stone, I would wear it EVERYDAY. it would not concern me the least that it is five carats. And people would be grabbing my hand on a regular basis bc this beauty is THAT beautiful. Do you know how hard it is to find a truly beautiful cut asscher? Gypsy can tell you. She has one.

Yekutiel can send you videos too. This stone shot off so many different colors and was so fiery. I have never seen a step cut so alive. I looked at it under the counter to see if it goes dark under the lights. Nope. Still super bright and sparkly. Here are some more pics. See how boring the MRB looks next to it? And it doesn't look the same in any picture where as the MRB gives off the same flavor of sparkle. (I love my stone but that asscher made me wish REALLY hard...). If I had the funds I would buy it now. But alas... I hope he still has it. It would be beyond awesome if a Pricescoper snagged it. You could put it in a Sebastian Barier setting like asscher_girl's.

_981.jpeg

_982.jpeg

_983.jpeg

_984.jpeg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpc|1449198551|3957227 said:
GOG responded with 3 suggestions:
4.6ct DVVS2 Oval GIA with faint fluorescence for $195,080 [pic attached 433237]

5ct EVS2 Oval GIA no fluorescence for $212,467 [pic attached 9090]

5ct EVS2 Oval GIA no fluorescence for $195,751 [pic attached 520-032]

Will upload pictures separately. They're asking for a 500 non refundable deposit to call in the stones. Is that typical? Doesn't seem unreasonable if they do good eork but I have no previous experience with them.

Also, is the color / clarity too high for what I need? Versus what was suggested before in this thread. I feel like they're optimizing for maximization of quality just under budget instead of value. Will point this out again obviously when I follow up with them but I'm quite happy spending less than max if normal eyes can't tell the difference, or if the marginal cost of going one step up in rated quality is too steep relative to some normal sense of value.

GOG may be anticipating what they think you want - many of us understand that lower (higher? I get confuzzled) color is considered imperative in some circles. If you have a color range in mind, or if you're open to considering "near colorless" diamonds rather than just "colorless," you should probably let GOG know that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results